Breakfast in MDR?

surfer143

I think the folks that enjoy breakfast and lunch in the MDR enjoy it because it's more peaceful, you don't have to stand in a long line getting your own food and they enjoy being served. If none of those things appeal to you, sleep in and grab some food from the Lido Deck. It is definitely far more relaxing to eat in the MDR. The menu is somewhat limited, but sufficient.

My DH prefers to eat on the Lido Deck but *I* prefer to sit nicely and have a friendly person wait on me in the MDR. THAT is why I go on vacation!

Basic breakfast stuff, eggs, omelets, pancakes, french toast...nothing out of the ordinary but very sufficient...oh, they have grits, oatmeal, cm of wheat (I think) and cold cereal, yogurt etc

I just so enjoy the service. It makes me feel pampered and allows me to ease nicely into my day rather than waiting in line and then trying to find a seat, etc.

Thanks! I'm not much of a breakfast person. Room service continental breakfast is great for me but if it was something special I thought I'd get myself out of bed!!

Guess dh can strike up a friendship with omlet guy (as he always does) so he can eat at the crack of dawn while I'm still snoring!!;)

The only drawback to breakfast in the dining room for some is the fact that you are seated as you arrive at a table with others. They seat until the table is full and then move to the next table. For us, no big deal as I am a people person and my DH is a great listener. For some, it can be uncomfortable.

The portions in the MDR are small so we usually have room service deliver something light to enjoy on the balcony and then later in the morning we have a light serving in the MDR. This enables us to eat lunch later and avoid the long lines.

We definitely prefer MDR. We like to meet new people and this is a great opportunity since Carnival has always put us at our own table since we are a family of 5 albeit older. My only suggestion is, if you like eggs Benedict, get the Hollandaise on the side. They have them sitting under a heat lamp and they get a crust on top. If you ask for the sauce on the side, the eggs are fresher. Also, if it wasn't on the menu, I had no problem ordering it. We find the Lido deck to be a zoo in the morning with difficulty finding a table.

The only drawback to breakfast in the dining room for some is the fact that you are seated as you arrive at a table with others. They seat until the table is full and then move to the next table. For us, no big deal as I am a people person and my DH is a great listener. For some, it can be uncomfortable.

On the Legend they asked us each morning if we wanted company or wanted to be by ourselves. Depended on how long dh had been awake without coffee!!

The menu is very similar in the MDR and the buffet. Some things like eggs benedict may be only in the MDR. It is more peaceful and it is nice to be waited on rather than self-service. It moves fairly quickly, usually.

If we are in a hurry to get off the ship, we usually do room service or the buffet.

The portions in the MDR are small so we usually have room service deliver something light to enjoy on the balcony and then later in the morning we have a light serving in the MDR. This enables us to eat lunch later and avoid the long lines.

Every ship we have been on we asked for a table for 2 and had no problem getting it.

Every ship we have been on we asked for a table for 2 and had no problem getting it.

We also have breakfast in the MDR and always have a table for 2.

I live breakfast there!!

The smoked salmon and cream chease bagels are out of this world!!!

I don't like the hustle and bustle of the Lido buffet!!

i ve always enjoyed eggs benedict for breakfast..and for that reason we ll schedule a couple of mornings to have breakfast in the MDR..

the rest of time it s a real struggle getting up so we ll just order room service..usually alot of coffee, yogurt and pastry..

It's funny, to me only, we have been saying it would be nice to have breakfast in the dining room sometime. 7 or 8 cruises, 50-60 mornings. Haven't made it yet. We went through the usual "wouldn't it be nice to have breakfast one morning in the DR for the cruise next month?" Then I read this thread. Breakfast, with a chance of hangover, along with 8 other very nice people? Highly doubtful. I'm not sure I knew about the filling up the tables routine. Looks like it's the buffet as usual on the balcony or a table for 1 or 2. I like reading my Capers at breakfast and not having to converse. Sorry honey! If they gave us a table for 2, I swear I would try it. This way I'd read my Capers in peace, plan out my day, and then end up not doing anything I planned and just hang out on deck all day anyway. You gotta love a cruise................

I've been thinking that maybe on one sea day do away with breakfast and lunch and have a brunch instead. Run it from 10:30 to 2:00.....;)

Maybe I should start a poll here to see what people think.....

I would really like that since on sea days I am not an early riser....:cool:

Thanks, I did not know this. Do they sit people at tables like this for lunch?

I wasn't real thrilled with it, don't know that I'd bother making the effort to do so again. The food wasn't much different from that offered on the buffet and we were sat at a huge table with 10 other people. I don't know if it was because everyone wasn't a "morning person" or what, but nobody really said a word and it was awkward, LOL.

Thanks, I did not know this. Do they sit people at tables like this for lunch?

Lunch and breakfast seating in MDR is the same. You are seated at the next available table. Remember that breakfast is served in MDR every day except day 1. Not so with lunch. I have only seen lunch served in MDR on sea days.

We found that we loved breakfast in the MDR every day. We had the eggs benedict, with some hash browns and the stewed bananas! OMG! SOOOO good! And maybe an order of corned beef hash if I was especially hungry. We asked for a table for two a few times, and didn't care others. One morning we had a group of non-English speakers who would occasionally glance at us, say something, and laugh. I think that people who want to laugh at others should make sure they can't speak the language first (6 years of French came in handy that day, when I told them they were rude:p) It was at the end of the meal, and the look on their faces was priceless! One morning we had an awesome group, very talkative and just nice people! Had we had tables like this every morning, we probably never would have asked to sit alone. We did eat lunch a time or two in the MDR, and didn't like it as much. We liked just grabbing a burger or chicken tenders and hanging out. That will probably be our routine for the next cruise. Breakfast in the MDR, lunch on the fly, and then we absolutely must have dinner every night in the MDR! Except the one night we'll be trying the Supper Club, or what ever it is they're calling it now! YUMMO! Can't wait!

Dh loves the MDR for breakfast, I'm more of a Lido deck person but not enough to really care. We are early risers so lines are never an issue. Dh just isn't much into buffets and he like the Eggs Benny.

We have been seated with others once or twice but there is usually at least 6 of us so generally we are our own group.

I do remember we were seated at a table with Yankees fan who were very critical about our beloved Phillies (this was during the National League playoffs). While it was annoying at the time it is now a common memory within our travel group.

For some reason breakfast in the dining room is really hit or miss with tablemates. Sometimes, as previously stated, they don't interact with you at all and sometimes they do. On one solo I sat at a table with two young couples who wouldn't even pass the butter when I asked. It was bizarre. One table full of elderly patients only talked about their ailments the entire time. Gastric reflux and arthritis didn't interest me much.

I agree to get the hollandaise sauce on the side or else it can be hard after sitting under the heat lamp.

Archived