OK, next question. RCL or Celebrity

emste

Both ships are owned by the same company and both ships are about the same age.

We haven't been on Millenium but have sailed on Radiance of the Seas 3 times, wouldn't hesitate on sailing on her the 4th time. Beauitiful Ship.

I can't say you would go wrong picking either ship.

Maybe pick the ship by the best cabin selection and location. Have no idea of what kind of cabin you are looking for, if known I could give my opinion what would work best for you if you pick Radiance.

I know Radiance of the Seas sails Friday to Friday, not sure about the Millenium, that might make a difference as far as flight schedule(prices) and your time off at work.

Whatever you pick though I would pick Northbound sailing starting in Vancouver and ending in Seward, this way you could take the train to Anchorage for your flight home, very scenic train ride I'm told.

Jimbo:)

Whatever you pick though I would pick Northbound sailing starting in Vancouver and ending in Seward, this way you could take the train to Anchorage for your flight home, very scenic train ride I'm told.

Jimbo:)

You can do a land tour first, and then take the train in reverse from Anchorage to Seward. Scenery is the same in each direction. ;)

We just returned on Saturday and did a southbound on the Millie with three days pre cruise in Alaska. The one thing about doing the pre cruise is that by the time we finally unpacked on the ship, many of our clothes were very wrinkled from being in the suitcases for so long. If you do a post cruise land tour, you won't run into that problem.

We just returned on Saturday and did a southbound on the Millie with three days pre cruise in Alaska. The one thing about doing the pre cruise is that by the time we finally unpacked on the ship, many of our clothes were very wrinkled from being in the suitcases for so long. If you do a post cruise land tour, you won't run into that problem.

I would think there would be more significant factors regarding an itinerary to consider, then some clothes?? :)

You can do a land tour first, and then take the train in reverse from Anchorage to Seward. Scenery is the same in each direction. ;)

For clarification- the train runs both ways. BUT, if you are leaving the same day as disembarking Seward, most always you will have to take the cruise contracted train, that leaves around 7am, for about 40% more than the regular Alaska RR run, leaving at 6pm. With the regular run, you really need to consider flights after 1am only.

They will both be fine.

I would make my decision based on the itinerary.

If all is equal, I happen to recommend Celebrity for both the kids and the entire family.

Keith

Totally disagree. We just did Celebrity, and just thinking about your kids, go with RCI. The entertainment and the overall demeanor of the ship will be positively sleepy for kids that age.

Are the itineraries exactly the same?? I too will always put the itinerary first before a line. And unless the above poster has sailed Alaska on RCI???? I'm not sure of the significant difference they are claiming. You can NOT make any of these comparisms to other sailing areas and certainly not the Caribbean. I've been on a few RCI Alaska ships that were also "sleepy". So, in my opinion, it's no guarantee of action.

All I can say is that I've sailed Celebrity a couple of times in Alaska and our children were quite happy.

You know, we just came back from a Silversea Cruise of Alaska in August and I would not have ever expected it but there were over 20 children on board. I am certainly not recommending a Silversea cruise but you will find more and more children sailing Alaska. And even more so in this current economic situation where folks have cut back on other travel and Alaska has an appeal.

Keith

I would think there would be more significant factors regarding an itinerary to consider, then some clothes?? :)

Well honestly, I prefer post cruise land excursions much better than pre cruise and that is one of the primary reasons. I've done many land extensions all over the world and the only other determining factor would be flight connections or travel restrictions that would alter my plans. I hate getting of a ship and knowing my trip is over. If I have something post cruise, I have something to look forward to.

In September 2008, my wife and I took an Alaska land and sea cruise on the Celebrity Millennium. The land portion of our trip was exceptional. I can give no higher complements to those individuals employed on the land portion of our voyage.

Unfortunately, when we boarded the Millennium in Seward, we were met with a shabby accommodation and a generally inattentive and uncaring staff. My wife and I paid a substantial amount extra for the Millennium Suite accommodation to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We found our suite furniture was worn, with holes in the sofa and chair. The flat screen television in the living room did not work other than on and off. Bathroom corners had mold in them, the shower curtain was dirty, and the stateroom carpet was stained in several places.

Stateroom and Dining Room staff was uncaring and inattentive, always needing to be called for any service. In general, the food itself was bland and unattractive. For this reason, most lunches and snacks were obtained from the swimming pool grill. Here we had to put up with long lines and cold surroundings (the grill is outside), but it was the only place to obtain food that appealed to us.

To summarize our trip with Celebrity, the land portion was excellent, the ship was worn and ill-kept, level of service and food quality were generally poor. Our vacation with Celebrity Cruises was thoroughly disappointing, as ship and service were severely lacking.

If you go to Alaska, I strongly suggest using another cruise line than Celebrity.

Archived