Sorry- more alcohol questions.

christian19

First time cruiser here sailing this fall. I've read all the threads on rum runners, etc. A couple questions remain:

(1) If I wanted to skip having my luggage delivered to my room, and instead wanted to just carry my luggage to my room myself, what do you think the chances are that security at embarkation would see a rum runner in my suitcase? I understand that if the suitcase is 24" or smaller they just run it through the scanner with the rest of the carry-ons. Do you think I have more/less chance of rum runner being detected this way?

(2) If I pack the rum runner carefully and out of sight near other toiletry items, and place a couple bottles of soda on the top of my bag, do you think if my bag is tagged they'll be more or less likely to continue checking the rest of the bag after I show them my bottles of soda?

First time cruiser here sailing this fall. I've read all the threads on rum runners, etc. A couple questions remain:

(1) If I wanted to skip having my luggage delivered to my room, and instead wanted to just carry my luggage to my room myself, what do you think the chances are that security at embarkation would see a rum runner in my suitcase? I understand that if the suitcase is 24" or smaller they just run it through the scanner with the rest of the carry-ons. Do you think I have more/less chance of rum runner being detected this way?

(2) If I pack the rum runner carefully and out of sight near other toiletry items, and place a couple bottles of soda on the top of my bag, do you think if my bag is tagged they'll be more or less likely to continue checking the rest of the bag after I show them my bottles of soda?

I think if you tried to hand carry your bags onto the ship there would be a 95% chance that they would ask you to open your bags to see what it was and it would be confiscated.

I think you would be foolish to think that you could scam them. I'm sure that they have "seen it all".

I really think you should be on the safe side and just check a bag. you can always check a small bag, it doesn't have to be a full size suitcase.

My advice to you would be that you are not going to be able to pass thru security with liquor in any form BUT I always pack a bottle, I have never used rum runners.

I'll be interested to see what other people say.

Depending on what time to arrive at the pier and get on the ship, you are going to have carry your luggage with you. Staterooms are not open to passengers until after 1pm.

I have never lost my booze or been called to the naughty room because of booze. I always carry it in its original container.

Christian, if you are 19, you will have a much better shot of getting your rum runners on the ship if you check your bag. If you are 19 and they see something suspicious in your carryon, you are going to be pulled aside and your bag searched. If you are underage and they find something, you aren't getting on the ship.

If I am reading you wrong, I apologize. You don't want to miss out on your cruise because you were caught before you even got on the ship.

Christian, if you are 19, you will have a much better shot of getting your rum runners on the ship if you check your bag. If you are 19 and they see something suspicious in your carryon, you are going to be pulled aside and your bag searched. If you are underage and they find something, you aren't getting on the ship.

If I am reading you wrong, I apologize. You don't want to miss out on your cruise because you were caught before you even got on the ship.

OH! Good point! If you are under 21 and trying to board with alcohol you had better check your bag to be safe! Possession of alcohol by someone under 21 in the US is illegal....

Nope- not 19, thankfully- I am over the legal limit! I think the responses cleared up the one one big question I had- it makes sense that if you carry your bags on they are treated like a carry-on and thus subject to increased scrutiny. So I'll skip that.

I've read through the various threads on how to properly pack RR's and I'm still wondering which of the methods works best.. packing around like items.. packing in a scuba flipper..packing in between the suitcase lining (this seems extreme)..sticking a "decoy" i.e. a bottle of soda on top of the clothing to throw the security people off the trail. Who knows?? There's probably no one great answer.

Nope- not 19, thankfully- I am over the legal limit! I think the responses cleared up the one one big question I had- it makes sense that if you carry your bags on they are treated like a carry-on and thus subject to increased scrutiny. So I'll skip that.

I've read through the various threads on how to properly pack RR's and I'm still wondering which of the methods works best.. packing around like items.. packing in a scuba flipper..packing in between the suitcase lining (this seems extreme)..sticking a "decoy" i.e. a bottle of soda on top of the clothing to throw the security people off the trail. Who knows?? There's probably no one great answer.

A) Ignore the people who post that you are going to get busted. they like to try to make people nervous. I ALWAYS check a bag with booze in it and have yet (in 15 cruises) to get busted.

B) From your packing question, I assume that you are thinking how not to get these squooshed in your suitcase...? If you have some time before your cruise, start collecting cardboard type boxes. Would a cereal box suffice to put them in? A small oatmeal container? An empty milk carton? How about an empty larger water bottle that you cut to top off of, put the RR's inside, and then pinch off and "close up" the top with some duct tape?

Lot's of ways to solve the problem but be sure to think outside the box! ;)

B) From your packing question, I assume that you are thinking how not to get these squooshed in your suitcase...? If you have some time before your cruise, start collecting cardboard type boxes. Would a cereal box suffice to put them in? A small oatmeal container? An empty milk carton? How about an empty larger water bottle that you cut to top off of, put the RR's inside, and then pinch off and "close up" the top with some duct tape?

Actually I just want to pack to avoid them being detected on the scanner. Some have mentioned packing them flat up and down so they show up as a "sliver" on the scanner. Others say definitely pack them around like objects as the cap will show up on the scanner- so pack it around other caps.

Yes, I feel rather pathetic going to such extremes to get contraband onboard. I just want to avoid the humility of my other teetotalling family members watching me trot down to the naughty room. But I'm not going to survive said family without some booze, so a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do!

Checked LOCKED luggage receives less scrutiny than carry-on.... Make sure it's LOCKED!

Why? It does not matter if it is locked or not. If they see something suspicious, they generally set it aside and call the guest to open it in front of security. Does not matter one iota if it is locked or unlocked; same procedure.

DH and I smuggled 4 poland spring bottles of vodka on board. They allow you to take cases of water on board so we just removed a couple of bottles from the case without damaging the packaging. We filled water bottles with vokda and put them back in the case in the middle. We put a luggage tag on it and had no problems at all. Infact we might bring 6 bottles next time it was so easy!

:

Originally Posted by cb at sea

Checked LOCKED luggage receives less scrutiny than carry-on.... Make sure it's LOCKED!

How many people are foolish enough to travel with unlocked luggage? :rolleyes:

Not me. :D

The x ray/scanner machines could care less if a suit case is locked or not. It looks through it.

Is it just me? or do others think RCCL security floats these type questions across CC and other cruise blogs to get intel?

Some smugglers always can't wait to come out with their advise and technique.

A) Ignore the people who post that you are going to get busted. they like to try to make people nervous. I ALWAYS check a bag with booze in it and have yet (in 15 cruises) to get busted.

Lot's of ways to solve the problem but be sure to think outside the box! ;)

Wow! All this info. on liquor smuggling, while posting a pix of two adorable VERY young kids!! I could say "Way to Parent!"....but I won't. Flame away........... I am thinking outside the diaper box.

Archived