How concerned about flu and winter cruising with kids?

cruisin_family

We are booking a 7 night cruise on RCCL leaving 12/27. I am really hung up on "what if" the kids (ages 4 and 7) get the flu while on the trip. Kids can spread germs pretty easily in the kids club! I wanted to find out how other families are dealing with the swine flu threat and just not knowing how wide spread it will be.:confused:

Technically the flu you are fearing is called H1N1, and H1N1 is already everywhere! The good is that it is far milder then what everyone feared it would be.

Good hygene is the key for that and really any other infectious disease. Traveling by definition raises your exposure to more people and those people can be carrying H1N1 or other infectious diseases. Ships have their systems, some better then others. If you and your kids are "health" and travel well then I don't think your risk this fall should be any worst then during past peak holiday travel ( knock on wood :D )

Shortly before leaving for our Baltic cruise I read on CC about ships being hit with H1N1 on our same itinerary. I called our pediatrician and got prescriptions for both Tamiflu and an antibiotic just in case. We discussed that the doctors on board are not pediatricians and we wanted to be sure that dd had the appropriate doses available if needed. As Americans we were required to go through a medical screening before being allowed to board. I have since read on CC that they are now using infrared thermometers on all passengers rather than singling out certain nationalities. Luckily I didn't see anyone who appeared sick on our cruise. Passengers on other ships reported getting sick on their Baltic cruises and being stuck in bed for days and days after returning home. Hopefully with good hygiene, vaccinations and medical screenings the Caribbean will be just fine this winter. (Crossing my fingers...)

It's true--they're more likely to pick it up before your cruise by going to school, church, the movies.....it's everywhere!

That's exactly my fear! We sail on Oct. 10 with our 2 DD's, ages 8 and 13. I'm biting my nails that we don't get sick in the next 12 days. My niece and nephew (ages 10 and 12) already have the flu. Their pediatrician says there are so many cases they don't bother to test what strain you have unless you're hospitalized, but that almost all the cases they see are assumed to be H1N1. They live about 10 miles away from us and we haven't seen them in a couple weeks, but I figure that there must be kids at school who are coming down with it.:eek:

I'm more afraid of getting sick just before the trip than getting sick onboard.

That's exactly my fear! We sail on Oct. 10 with our 2 DD's, ages 8 and 13. I'm biting my nails that we don't get sick in the next 12 days. My niece and nephew (ages 10 and 12) already have the flu. Their pediatrician says there are so many cases they don't bother to test what strain you have unless you're hospitalized, but that almost all the cases they see are assumed to be H1N1. They live about 10 miles away from us and we haven't seen them in a couple weeks, but I figure that there must be kids at school who are coming down with it.:eek:

This is exactly my fear as well ... you plan for so long and then if they get sick at the last minute, all your plans can change!! I guess good hygeine, keeping them away from others ill and alot of praying may help!!

I'm a RN and I'm also concerned for our 12/20 RCI cruise. Our best defense is proper handwashing and sanitizing...and common sense. Ensure your kids know how to properly wash their hands and be diligent about it on the ship (as you normally would in cold and flu season!).

Get your seasonal flu shot if you can. Seasonal flu shots are being delayed until the new year in BC (where we live) due to rolling out the h1n1 vaccine. So we're outta luck there.

Antibiotics will not help against a flu virus.

Bring your own digital thermometer, childrens tylenol, and any other meds or comforts you would normally have in your stash at home.

And everyone is right - just as much of a chance on the ship as anywhere else. Fingers crossed we all stay flu free for our cruises!

The only time I would be greatly concerned is if the child has an underlying health issue. It's known that children with compromised immune systems have a much greater chance of complications from the H1N1 virus than children without these issues. Asthma seems to be one of the biggest concerns with the H1N1. We had four children in our state die last winter from H1N1 and the one common thread was they all had asthma.

That is my concern. With a month left till we sail, I am finding myself paranoid about DD (or anyone else in the family) getting sick NOW or within the next few weeks. I am a SAHM but DD was supposed to start at a Mom's Day Out program this month and I pushed it till after the cruise. Why risk exposing her to more then I have to prior.

We just got off the Freedom on 10/4 and I can honestly say that I was very worried in the weeks leading up to the cruise. My daughter is 3 and does attend pre-school but for about 10 days prior to the cruise - we limited all non-essential outings. We also wash hands and use sanitizers before eating or drinking anything and after coming inside from anywhere. We all received the regular flu mist a few weeks before we left. I guess we got lucky because no one in our party got sick with anything on our cruise. And my daughter did go to the kids club. My daughter has mild asthma (only when she gets sick) and I had packed her nebulizer and all kinds of medicine including a steroid but did not need it. Her pediatrician also gave me the correct dosages for her and us for the Tamiflu if we should need it. But thankfully - we are all healthy. Just prevent as much as you can by staying away from crowded places and sick people before the cruise and use good hygiene. That is all you can do.

Archived