Has anyone tipped the wait staff on the first evening?

friday109

I've actually seen crew members refuse an early tip saying to wait until the cruise is completed. In 61 cruises I've only attempted to pre tip once and had it refused but I've always had great service regardless.

I have to ask, if you frequent a local restaurant regularly, do you pre tip your waiter there or do you wait and tip at the end? I don't think anyone pre tips at a restaurant hoping for better service.

I've actually seen crew members refuse an early tip saying to wait until the cruise is completed. In 61 cruises I've only attempted to pre tip once and had it refused but I've always had great service regardless.

I have to ask, if you frequent a local restaurant regularly, do you pre tip your waiter there or do you wait and tip at the end? I don't think anyone pre tips at a restaurant hoping for better service.

Definitely apples to oranges.......

Our last cruise we tipped at the first formal night, which was the second night of the cruise. We informed the wait staff that we would not returning to eat in the dining room, and that we left our automatic gratuities in place. The did take care of us both nights, and brought us extras both nights without asking. We did return the last night of the cruise becuase we didnt feel like eating what was being offered at the buffet.

All of the "extras" or better service is obtained by us on every cruise without pre-tipping. This not only includes table service, but extra towels, blankets, pillows, ice, etc... We merely ask for it and it is there.

We tip extra at the end if we have been happy with the service provided and almost always have given extra.

Only once did we tip extra mid-week and it really backfired on us. We felt guilty for not vacating our cabin early (Christmas morning) so gave him an extra $20 for the inconvenience. He was a bit of a jerk the rest of the week....so he got the recommended amount and everyone else who served us got a nice Christmas bonus.

I agree with the OP. I would tip at commencement of cruise.

To imagine that a waiter or steward or any service staff on an RCI ship would be offended at being given money is laughable in the extreme.

To an AMERICAN this may be true- but other cultures see things differently. This is true-not laughable-many become offended a this. Bottom line, this is jut not a "classy" thing to do.

I agree with Paul-we always do the auto tip-but we also give extra to our waiters and steward and sometimes to others, who we felt went beyond their necessary duty, toward us.

All of the "extras" or better service is obtained by us on every cruise without pre-tipping. This not only includes table service, but extra towels, blankets, pillows, ice, etc... We merely ask for it and it is there.

We tip extra at the end if we have been happy with the service provided and almost always have given extra.

Only once did we tip extra mid-week and it really backfired on us. We felt guilty for not vacating our cabin early (Christmas morning) so gave him an extra $20 for the inconvenience. He was a bit of a jerk the rest of the week....so he got the recommended amount and everyone else who served us got a nice Christmas bonus.

Which goes to show- many become offended by this.

We informed the wait staff that we would not returning to eat in the dining room, and that we left our automatic gratuities in place.

I guess I'm odd but how do you tactfully even bring up the subject. Sounds a little tacky to me......

I tip at the end of the cruise using auto tip and add extra for those who

who gave great service. Cruising is cashless and I just could not see myself dealing with it all week tipping as I go. Same with the bar service at the pool, if one server has keep the drinks coming all week I tip on last day. Room service is a different matter as I do tip each time I order.

We often tip folks in the buffet area for extra service on the spot. We tip the Matre'd for a better table. We tip bar staff when we ask for ice water. Have not tipped the waiter or assistant in advance but we do let them know we tip well for service received.

On our last cruise our TA had sent two bottles of wine to our cabin. We do not drink and on the 2nd day of our 10 day cruise I gave our room steward the wine. He was taken aback and replied "what is this a bribe ?- I give everyone the same service" I felt stupid and explained that it was a gift and we do not drink and wanted someone to enjoy it. Next time I will bring a bottle to the dining room for my table mates to drink.

Boy, that sure wasn't nice of the cabin steward to say that - I remember we had a few bottles of beer leftover from our mini-bar (set up for free by Princess on our last cruise for being Elite members) and since we were flying back, we couldn't take them with us - our cabin steward was overjoyed to get 4 free bottles of beer! For a cabin steward to make THAT kind of comment is a bit ridiculous and rude. They should have graciously accepted it with a nice thank you.

On our last cruise our TA had sent two bottles of wine to our cabin. We do not drink and on the 2nd day of our 10 day cruise I gave our room steward the wine. He was taken aback and replied "what is this a bribe ?- I give everyone the same service" I felt stupid and explained that it was a gift and we do not drink and wanted someone to enjoy it. Next time I will bring a bottle to the dining room for my table mates to drink.

That cabin steward was being rude. He should not have made you feel stupid. He could have very politely said " oh no sir/madam,, I shouldn't accept,, but how kind of you to offer" instead he " put you in your place" so to speak.

To be blunt,, I think they only really want money,, they can send that home,, wine they likely are not too interested in( they seem to have to work long hours,, not much time to party) but still, he should have been more gracious.

I personally think some people are a bit tip crazy.. I do leave on auto tips, and tip extra ONLY for extra service,, or service that is particularily special. I once tipped our cabin steward extra up front ,, on reading about that on one of these forums, and thought service was absolutely no different, still had to call for beach towels, and never noticed cabin looking any cleaner then anyone elses.

So the short answer is no I don't tip extra up front.

That cabin steward was being rude. He should not have made you feel stupid. He could have very politely said " oh no sir/madam,, I shouldn't accept,, but how kind of you to offer" instead he " put you in your place" so to speak.

To be blunt,, I think they only really want money,, they can send that home,, wine they likely are not too interested in( they seem to have to work long hours,, not much time to party) but still, he should have been more gracious.

I personally think some people are a bit tip crazy.. I do leave on auto tips, and tip extra ONLY for extra service,, or service that is particularily special. I once tipped our cabin steward extra up front ,, on reading about that on one of these forums, and thought service was absolutely no different, still had to call for beach towels, and never noticed cabin looking any cleaner then anyone elses.

So the short answer is no I don't tip extra up front.

I think you're right. I read on another thread that the stewards often keep all of the unopened liquor, beer, and wine bottles left by passengers anyway at the end of each cruise. So a couple of bottles of wine mid-week probably don't mean too much to them.

We never pre-tip and have always had great service from stewards and waiters. We'll tip more at the end if they provide exemplary service (and most do!!). Who knows? Maybe that thought (money at the end) actually motivates any service provider to provide great service.

Archived