Advice on Maasdam Cabin on Summer MTL to BO Cruise

jlrf

I hope no one minds my double posting; I asked this on the Cabin Selection forum but have had no replies.

I'm looking for advice on which cabin, or type of cabin, to book on the summer Canada/New England cruise on the Maasdam.

All but one day are spent in port, so I'm wondering if a balcony or even an outside cabin would be worthwhile. I recently took a TA crossing and was hardly ever in the cabin because there were so many other places to sit. Does the Maasdam have nice and reasonably available public areas for reading? And a pleasant place to watch the coast on the only sea/river day?

What kind of cabin best suits that cruise, do you think?

Thanks a lot.

We were on this cruise in June of this year. We had a B category verandah and thoroughly enjoyed it. However,since there was only 1 sea day the ship was never crowded during the day. The weather was rainy and foggy for the most part so we actually never had a lot of use for the balcony. The crows nest is a wonderful place to read and relax during the day and was never crowded. Some days only 3 or 4 people were there.

I would still prefer a balcony cabin but I think you will enjoy the ship whether you have one or not. In addition to the crows nest there are several other nice places to relax during the day.

If you are not going to be using the balcony much, I would suggest a seaview cabin on Main deck or A deck amidship. You get a direct view of the water out your window, instead of looking past the lower prominade walkers just outside. Your cabin is not that much smaller than the Verandah's inside portion. If you are in rougher water, you get less rocking down lower too. When I was last on the Maasdam, I didn't have trouble finding a chaise near the Lido Pool, and there is always other places that are quite private such as at the stern of the ship on the Navigation or Verandah decks or up in the Crows Nest.

The Maasdam offers many places to sit and curl up with a book---both inside and outside.

Indoors there's the Ocean Bar, Explorers Lounge, Explorations Cafe, and the previously mentioned Crows Nest. There's also some quiet seating on Upper Promenade, port side, by the atrium.

There's lots of seating outside on Lower Promenade. You can watch the sea, and the walkers. It's very restful there.

I recently had a lower promenade, partially obstructed cabin near the stern which was actually quite nice. At first, I didn't care for the walk around deck being directly outside the window, but there were several pluses: if you wanted access to the outside, it was a very short walk to get outside. Also the window was washed every am while the lower decks got pretty dirty. Don't go for a fully obstructed view as there are some.

That question can only be answered by you.

What is a verandah worth to you?

What is a very large verandah worth to you?

What is a larger cabin worth to you?

To us........ That cruise, that ship is worth Deluxe Verandah Suite with Neptune Lounge privileges but that doesn't mean it is worth anything to you.

We have taken that cruise back-to-back every summer for years and are already booked for next August to do it again. We sailed Canada/New England Itinerary on Maasdam three times this summer and love that cruise beyond most others. We think it one of HAL's best short itineraries.

We use our verandah, we use our comfortable cabin ...... will you? Only you can say.

We were on that cruise this past summer & we stayed in a Category K inside. It was fine. It was a midship cabin & we heard no noise. We were hardly ever in our cabin, so for us booking a balcony just didn't make any sense. This cruise is very port intensive...spend your money in the ports, rather than for an upgraded cabin. :)

You're going to love this itinerary & the Maasdam...what a terrific crew on that ship!

• 1 month later...
We were on that cruise this past summer & we stayed in a Category K inside. It was fine. It was a midship cabin & we heard no noise. We were hardly ever in our cabin, so for us booking a balcony just didn't make any sense. This cruise is very port intensive...spend your money in the ports, rather than for an upgraded cabin. :)

You're going to love this itinerary & the Maasdam...what a terrific crew on that ship!

Hello, Just booked this itinerary for july 2010. Booked an inside mm, I understand this is a smaller ship, is the inside big enough in your opinion for one Adult and two teens?

Also do you remember many children on the cruise and in your opinion was there things to do with the teens.

Thanks

I understand this is a smaller ship, is the inside big enough in your opinion for one Adult and two teens?

I've been on Maasdam's sister ship the Veendam in both inside and oceanview cabins. Besides the lack of bathtub, I don't recall the inside cabin being very different size-wise. I think the inside I had on the Veendam was just as big as the oceanviews I've had on Princess and NCL (at least it seemed to be). There were three adults (women) sharing and it wasn't too bad. I'm sure you will be fine with two teens.

Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
Sail, could you comment on the various ports on this iterary and why you like them so much? I'm looking at something similar on the Eurodam out of NY which I know doesn't stop in Montreal, but does have more ports.

Did you ever book the Azamara cruise?

Archived