Opinions on our independent itin

DD

Any/all opinions are welcomed!

We're cruising on the Diamond Princess NB June 5th - 12th. We're locked into this ship and sail date for a number of reasons. We'll be in YVR on business until June 5th, so we needed to go out of there. We have elite status with Princess, so we really do love cruising with them due to the perks, not the least of which is the laundry/dry cleaning. We'll be away from home for approx 3 weeks, so that's a big one.

Ok, so we disembark in Whittier on Sept 12th. Here's what I have so far. The only thing that's currently under deposit is Fireside Cabins in Talkeetna as I really wanted them:

Sat, 9/12 -- disembark and transfer to ANC. I'm trying to find a transfer that also allows us to do a cruise on PWS or something similar. Night in ANC

Sun 9/13 -- AKRR Gold Star service to Denali. I know that renting a car is preferred by many, but I really want the AKRR experience. I've never done it before, and I want to check it off my life-list, lol. Night at, most likely, Denali Cabins

Mon 9/14 -- Denali Backcountry Tour which leaves from Denali Cabins (hence the choice of the property). All day tour. 2nd night at Denali Cabins

Tues 9/15 -- Day in Denali, perhaps a shuttle bus experience. 3rd night at Denali Cabins

Wed 9/16 -- AKRR to Talkeetna, night at Denali Fireside Cabins. A good friend who I trust as far as travel opinions stayed here and raved about it. Checking them out on trip advisor leads to tons and tons of great reviews. There are only 4 cabins, so I put a deposit down.

Nothing special planned for that evening.

Thurs 9/17 -- Flightseeing Denali, probably with TAT. 2nd night at Denali Fireside Cabins

Fri 9/18 -- AKRR back to ANC. Night in ANC

Sat 9/19 -- home :( and :) as, by that time, after 3 weeks away, we'll probably be happy to sleep in our own beds.

We really struggled with this itinerary. We've never done a land trip to Alaska. My priority was Denali; DH's priority was Denali and Kodiak/Katmai. We sort of agreed that Alaska reminds us of Hawaii in that you can't possibly see/do it all in one, two, three, or more trips unless time/money are unlimited resources. We decided that we'd rather do Denali really well on this trip and come back another time to concentrate on Kodiak, Katmai, Prince William Sound etc. Smart? Dumb? If you've read this far, thanks for your patience in hanging in there with me!

The only thing I would throw out, is that if you really want the AKRR experience that you go from Whittier to Seward (we did it via PJ's taxi - expensive but so worth it) and then take the train from Seward (where you can also do the PWS tours) to Anchorage and pick up a rental car. The train from Seward to Anchorage is far better than any other leg of the AKRR system. The part from ANC to Denali is only a way to get from point A to point B. It is nothing spectacular and giving up a car for this may be a mistake. PJ's taxi routinely takes people from Whittier to Seward as well as taking us several places that we actually saw grizzlies/browns very close to town. It was a fuke (albeit it one that practically everyone who books with her experiences) that this happened. She also took us through the Portage animal preserve so that if you don't see animals other places, you can actually see up close what they look like.

Then with a car you have other choices to stay and opportunities to explore for animals on your own than staying at Denali Cabins and being so far from everything that you are really stuck. Denali Cabins (although not saying anything negative about the establishment) is 8 miles south of the park entrance and about 9-10 miles from Glitter Gulch. You are way south of everything. It does appear that they will take you to the Visitor's Center and McKinley Village but this doesn't really offer you anything as far as restaurants, shopping, etc.

Janice

Yes, I meant June. Apparently our Alaska September 2009 cruise is stuck in my brain. We will be in Alaska in JUNE 2010. Sorry. I wish I could still edit the original post.

Thanks also for the tip on PJs. I'll definitely check them out.

Then with a car you have other choices to stay and opportunities to explore for animals on your own than staying at Denali Cabins and being so far from everything that you are really stuck. Denali Cabins (although not saying anything negative about the establishment) is 8 miles south of the park entrance and about 9-10 miles from Glitter Gulch. You are way south of everything. It does appear that they will take you to the Visitor's Center and McKinley Village but this doesn't really offer you anything as far as restaurants, shopping, etc.

Janice

Actually being away from Glitter Gulch is a huge PLUS in my opinion, not a negative. I am not familiar with Denali Cabins but if they offer transport to the visitor center, and operate relatively early and relatively late, I would much prefer to stay 8 miles south of Glitter Gulch or in Healy than anywhere close to Glitter Gulch.

Having said that, I too agree a car is much more useful - your own schedule, can stop when/where you want, train nothing special on that route (how about taking the train from Whittier to Anchorage instead?)

Actually being away from Glitter Gulch is a huge PLUS in my opinion, not a negative. I am not familiar with Denali Cabins but if they offer transport to the visitor center, and operate relatively early and relatively late, I would much prefer to stay 8 miles south of Glitter Gulch or in Healy than anywhere close to Glitter Gulch.

Denali Cabins without a car or GG without a car, I pick GG. I have never stayed in GG because I stay in Healy for extended periods of time, so no need. But to be stuck 8 miles away from any stores, restaurants or minimarts is not my preference. With a car stay wherever you want because you can meet your basic needs, possibly see more wildlife, and have choices.

Denali Cabins without a car or GG without a car, I pick GG. I have never stayed in GG because I stay in Healy for extended periods of time, so no need. But to be stuck 8 miles away from any stores, restaurants or minimarts is not my preference. With a car stay wherever you want because you can meet your basic needs, possibly see more wildlife, and have choices.

I agree. We spent a couple nights at Denali Cabins a few years ago WITHOUT a car. MISERABLE experience. We had driven a couple of BP's vans down from Prudhoe to Fairbanks for trade in. We were meeting some friends in Denali. They had a car in Anchorage. So we took the train to Denali, meeting them 2 days later.

The time frame was late August. Most of their employees had gone home for the season. Yes, they had a couple of vans. BUT with FEW employees left, the restaurant was closed and there was only one person to drive. So you waited and waited and waited for the one available van After they drove us to GG and it was time to go back, we waited and waited at the gas station. Finally called a taxi (which wasn't cheap). The first night, we wanted food. They took us to a restaurant about 4 miles further South. Would not wait and had no idea when they could come back. So BLT's on toast to go. What a fun dinner!!! Only good thing was I ate it in the hot tub.

I absolutely would not stay outside GG without a car. Just too many chances of very long waits for shuttles.

PS-While Denali Cabins is OK, it is JUST barely OK. MUCH better lodging other places. Booking the "tour" to Kantishna is all part of staying at Denali Cabins, as they are owned by the same people. You may want to inquire about taking the Kantishna Park Service bus and then FLYING out of Denali. One super spectacular experience and while Greg's plane is not equipped with oxygen and you cannot fly over the summit, it is a truly spectacular way to end the day in Denali. http://www.katair.com/

Well, I wasn't aware of the taxi transfer from Whittier to Seward prior to this thread, so thank you for the suggestion. I went ahead and booked that as it gives us a lot more options for the day. We'll then take the goldstar service train from Seward to ANC that evening. That should give me my required train-fix.

That gives us the freedom to rent a car. I went with Thrifty's mid-size-or-above guaranty. The rate wasn't too bad. It's like $450 including taxes for approx 6 days with a downtown ANC location.

The reason we chose the Denali Cabins (yes, I have read the reviews) is that the Backcountry Adventure Tour leaves from them at 6:15 am. Without a car, the only option was to stay there. Now if we have a car, we have other choices. At the same time, I'm thinking that if it leaves at 6:15 am, it's just easier to stay there. There is now a restaurant close by that wasn't there 2 years ago -- the 229 restaurant. It's not open on Sun/Mon nights, so that presents a glitch. Supposedly there's a pizza place with shuttle service nearby that wasn't there 2 years ago either.

With wanting to do the tour, that leaves me committed to the Denali Cabins for 2 nights. I don't want to deal with checking out prior to a 6:15 am shuttle. So, is it really worth it to transfer for one last night before we head out to Talkeetna? Yes, I know there are better places to stay, but is it worth the hassle of changing hotels?

At the same time, I haven't pulled the trigger yet on putting a deposit down at the Denali Cabins. The mixed reviews scare me a bit, although a friend stayed there personally and told me that I could count on it to be basic and clean.

I'm open to other suggestions. I already took the one suggestion to heart about the taxi to Seward.

Glad that taxi business worked out for you. I have been to Alaska 17 times for very extended visits. I brought my folks for their one and only cruise to AK, so I had to figure out a way to get them on the train and that is how I worked that deal out. Worked excellently for us and Renee is the best.

If you have a car, so that you are now not trapped at Denali Cabins, while it would not be my choice, it may work the best for you. 229 was open last year and this year, but especially in AK you cannot make plans on places that are there because next year they may be gone and then you would be stuck there without even 229. As GreatAM suggested, you may want to check other Kantishna options so that you are not restricted to the Cabins should you decide something else works best for you.

Janice

If you have a car, so that you are now not trapped at Denali Cabins, while it would not be my choice, it may work the best for you. 229 was open last year and this year, but especially in AK you cannot make plans on places that are there because next year they may be gone and then you would be stuck there without even 229. As GreatAM suggested, you may want to check other Kantishna options so that you are not restricted to the Cabins should you decide something else works best for you.

Janice

Isn't the 229 using the same building that Denali Cabins used to run as their own restaurant? It looked like it was open when we drove by a few weeks ago, but I wasn't paying that much attention.

I still HIGHLY recommend the Park Service bus to Kantishna and FLY OUT of the park. IF you have the chance to fly out of Kantishna, you have already accomplished one of your goals-flightseeing (although not a summit flight). But the take-off out of Kantishna is straight into the North Face of Denali. Looks like you are going to crash into the mountain-you are still almost a mile away. You won't get that view on a flightseeing trip out of Talkeetna. Truly, truly spectacular view.

You MAY NOT be able to fly out of Talkeetna. Flightseeing/helicopter trips are two things that are cancelled FREQUENTLY in Alaska. 13-14 hours on the bus is about 7 hours too much, IMHO. Even the "tour bus" is still a school bus, just with a little bit better seats and a video camera. Even though they try to make the "tour" sound really, really good, gold panning is available all over Alaska, the lunch is good but basic and the "hike" is really almost a walk around the property. And the dog sled demonstration in Kantishna leaves A LOT to be desired. You can see much more at the Park Service Kennels or at Seavey's or the Iditarod Museum than you will see in Kantishna. They get out the dogs in harness and run them on the track in front of the lodge. A BIG disappointment to all I have ever talked to. I have stayed overnight in Kantishna and been on day trips.

Your choice (and your butt!!!)

Sounds like I might crap myself:eek::eek:

Jimbo:)

That is the general feeling the first time you do it. I was going OH, OH, OH. The pilot (Greg) and DH were upfront laughing. They finally told me we were 1.5 miles from the face of the mountain so I could relax and enjoy. Flying into the North Face is truly one of the most spectacular flights I have ever taken in Alaska.

That is the general feeling the first time you do it. I was going OH, OH, OH. The pilot (Greg) and DH were upfront laughing. They finally told me we were 1.5 miles from the face of the mountain so I could relax and enjoy. Flying into the North Face is truly one of the most spectacular flights I have ever taken in Alaska.

I think we will just stick to flying around the Summit from Talkeetna. Do you recommend any Flight Service over the other in Talkeetna?

I think we will just stick to flying around the Summit from Talkeetna. Do you recommend any Flight Service over the other in Talkeetna?

My husband used Talkeetna Air Taxi while in Talkeetna.

Used Talkeetna Aero Services, Inc. for Mt McKinley Summit Flight leaving from Denali.

Would recommend any of these. He had a great time and got lots of great pictures.

There is also K2 Aviation in Talkeetna.

Google the different flight companies and request information and prices. The flight with Talkeetna Aero was booked before arriving in Alaska. DH enjoyed flight so much that he

got discount price while in Talkeetna and flew with Talkeetna Air Taxi. The different flight companies were anxious for business while we were in Talkeetna due to the several days of rain that had cost them business. We were there in Aug, 09.

Sounds like you have a good plan for trip to Alaska. Enjoy Alaska.

Just some alternative ideas.

I would NOT go to Seward in your timeframe without an overnight. Seward is a gem, with plenty to see and do, and you won't have time for it. It is hardly worth going, just to take the train. Are you also considering a Kenai Fjords boat tour??

I also agree, it is a mistake to consider staying outside of Glitter Gulch without a car, I also will speculate that you really don't know all the features of the "Backcountry" tour you have booked??? Essentially it is a very costly lunch. With a day trip, you have NO time for any of the activities that Kantishna is known for. You are paying triple the cost of the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake, and going in high "bug season", for a lodge meal. Make sure, this is your priority for going??? Superior for "viewing" is Wonder Lake shuttle bus, and only a couple miles less than Kantishna. Great Ams' advice is also superior to your tour, with the fly out.

2 nights is a LOT of time to spend in Talkeetna, you have nothing else "listed" for activities, and frankly, there isn't a lot else. I would cut back a night here, and/or at Denali Park, and add it to Seward.

If you care to rethink this, AND get a rental car, it would offer you the opportunity to flightsee McKinley on the way to/from Denali Park, increasing your chances of going.

I never recommend getting involved in reservations, until, your itinerary is fixed. With you "posting" this, you have gotten some, what, I would consider, superior routing and touring options. I do find many people "posting" itineraries to get "yea. thats great" posts, with no intention of changing it. It's certainly up to you, what you choose to do with it. And if you don't use it, maybe someone else will benefit?

Be aware of the flightseeing and route differences. With a summit "view" which may be what you are referring to?? You may NOT get a view of the summit, since these flightseeing tours, do not fly high enough. The peaks of McKinley can be in clouds. A summit flight- over the top, most likely will have a "top" view, and for me, has always been my preference. I have flown just about all the routes, along with the glacier landings (the ski plane was the priority, not the landing). I have gone with Talkeetna Aero the most, but also with Talkeetna Air Taxi and K2. Also there are other operator's to consider.

Talkeetna Aero does a summit flight. My DH flew with Aero to Summit in Aug. They have

oxygen masks for passengers to wear. He booked this flight for first day in Denali. If this flight was not able to fly due to weather, he would have back-up days in Talkeetna.

Aero flies from a small airstrip near Denali and also from airstrip in Talkeetna.

I would suggest that you contact the different flight companies, get literature from them and that will help you decide.

That gives us the freedom to rent a car. I went with Thrifty's mid-size-or-above guaranty. The rate wasn't too bad. It's like $450 including taxes for approx 6 days with a downtown ANC location

You might want to check out Enterprise Car Rental downtown locations are offering cheap rates.

Be aware of the flightseeing and route differences. With a summit "view" which may be what you are referring to?? You may NOT get a view of the summit, since these flightseeing tours, do not fly high enough. The peaks of McKinley can be in clouds. A summit flight- over the top, most likely will have a "top" view, and for me, has always been my preference. I have flown just about all the routes, along with the glacier landings (the ski plane was the priority, not the landing). I have gone with Talkeetna Aero the most, but also with Talkeetna Air Taxi and K2. Also there are other operator's to consider.

Think we are going to go with TAT and do the McKinley Base Camp Tour with Glacier Landing.

Thanks for everyone's help.

That gives us the freedom to rent a car. I went with Thrifty's mid-size-or-above guaranty. The rate wasn't too bad. It's like $450 including taxes for approx 6 days with a downtown ANC location

You might want to check out Enterprise Car Rental downtown locations are offering cheap rates.

What are your dates? Prices must really jump for June, July and August...WE got a Full size car for 5 days in May for $117.00 at Enterprise downtown.

Think we are going to go with TAT and do the McKinley Base Camp Tour with Glacier Landing.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Please have an alternative planned. As early as you are going, it can still possibly snow at altitude. With the changing seasons, you may not be able to land nor get to McKinley Base camp. One big drawback of landing on glaciers-the tours are frequently cancelled.

Please have an alternative planned. As early as you are going, it can still possibly snow at altitude. With the changing seasons, you may not be able to land nor get to McKinley Base camp. One big drawback of landing on glaciers-the tours are frequently cancelled.

The day we were in Talkeetna, DH took second flight (first was summit flight). This flight was a glacier tour as flight co's were not making glacier landings that day due some weather condition. Always have back-up plan due to weather conditions.

May-June...prime climbing season. The snow won't stop a landing, but bing socked in would, and that happens any time of year, rain or snow.

May-June...prime climbing season. The snow won't stop a landing, but bing socked in would, and that happens any time of year, rain or snow.

I didn't mean snow won't stop a landing. But the snow causes more problems with the flights, period. With the changing seasons-ground still cold, air temp warmer, the possibility of fog, sleet, rain, who knows, can be greater early. Just an FYI to have alternate plans.

Archived