suggestion on making printed tags tear proof

thrusday

It is unfortunate that Princess has decided to once again associate itself with its sister company Carnival!One would like to think that Princess was attempting to boost its level of service and conveniences to compete with other cruise lines such as RCCL & Celebrity.Instead,it has decided to inconvenience guests with this petty nonsense.I'm so pissed,I'm tempted to cancel my travel plans and book with a superior cruise line.

P.S.

When I spoke with a Princess representative they said this was all "nonsense"!When I called back to confirm they said this is a new program they are rolling out.The representative said that when you print out the luggage tags that there are instructions.It may read like this:

1.Once you have printed your luggage tags on your printer (assuming you have one),next-

2.Get in your car and drive to Walmart.

3.Decide if you wish to purchase a)clear packing tape,b)plastic laminate and/or c)sturdy poster board

4.You will also need something to attach the tag once you have assembled.Decide if you prefer twist ties,heavy duty rubber bands or plastic cord.

5.Now that your back home,its time to construct your luggage tags.

6.Cut out six luggage tags.

7.Lay piece of tape on hard surface sticky side up.

8.Lay one tag on top of tape.

9.Place a second piece of tape over existing tape/tag.

10.If you would like to use the "color option",cut out piece of colorful poster board that you have chosen which is 1 inch larger than the luggage tag in width & length.

11.Use more packing tape to attach to poster board.

12.Punch hole in tag (if you have a hole punch) otherwise, use a phillips screwdriver.

13.Attach rubberband or securing device.

14.REPEAT PROCESS AS OFTEN AS NECESSARY!

Its already rolled out, to take effect on cruises in the next month or 2.

Some already see it on their bookings on the personalizer.

Thanks for replying! On our "My Princess" our upcoming November cruise printing luggage tags is not noted ... BUT ... it certainly is on the cruise we have booked for February! :(

To me, this is a non-issue. We just buy the small self laminating sheets, that you can get at any drugstore. A pack will last you for a few cruises. Use a hole punch and put a zip tie through, attach to your luggage handle and you're done. Prepare the tags before you leave home and put them on after your flight (I keep mine in a ziplock). Be sure you have nail clippers in your checked bag to clip them off once you receive your lugggage, because those babies aren't going anywhere.

To me, this is a non-issue. We just buy the small self laminating sheets, that you can get at any drugstore. A pack will last you for a few cruises. Use a hole punch and put a zip tie through, attach to your luggage handle and you're done. Prepare the tags before you leave home and put them on after your flight (I keep mine in a ziplock). Be sure you have nail clippers in your checked bag to clip them off once you receive your lugggage, because those babies aren't going anywhere.

You should not have to.

Why should anyone be expected to have to do this??? :confused:

I do it for my own peace of mind. I never worry if my tags get soggy and fall off or they get accidentally ripped off in the loading process. Even if they sent me those old paper tags, I would still do this. If you are going on a cruise and worried about $3.00, well maybe you should rethink your vacation

OK, here's what I do: Go to UPS or Fedex and get a few luggage handle tags. This is a super-strong tag that goes through the handle of your luggage. It has a self adhesive strip so it goes through the handle and attaches to itself. THEN, write your cabin, deck, voyage#, name and address on it. The tags are very large so you can put a lot of information on it. They are made large so a waybill can be affixed to it, which is it's intended use, but it works GREAT for this function.

One other hint: Get some of those "stickyback" waybill windows. Then you can use this luggage tag over and over. Just write, or print out your information then slide it into the waybill holder window, then stick it to the luggage tag. I have had MANY porters comment: I wish everybody did this!.

since princess is now making us

print our own tags for luggage how would you keep them from being ripped and torn off the luggage . i went in tonight to recheck things because ive already printed off our boarding passess and long and behold now there is print youre own tags there .so any one who can tell me how to make these safe proof from falling off or being torn off would be appericated . thanks in advance ,

Print them off, fold them as instructed. Use clear packing tape to completely cover the tags including all edges. Punch a hole in the upper corner, put a sturdy tie through the hole and make a loop. I use gift wrap ribbon...it's very strong.

Then, wait until you are ready to checkin before putting them on your bags...that way, they won't tear off.

What is the big deal? Someone is going to cancel their cruise because they have to print their own luggage tag? Oh, my!!!

So assuming airlines start getting pax to print their own bag tags for checked luggage you would be happy to do this as well?

I think it's appalling that Princess is doing this. Reeks of cheapness imho.

It is unfortunate that Princess has decided to once again associate itself with its sister company Carnival!One would like to think that Princess was attempting to boost its level of service and conveniences to compete with other cruise lines such as RCCL & Celebrity.Instead,it has decided to inconvenience guests with this petty nonsense.I'm so pissed,I'm tempted to cancel my travel plans and book with a superior cruise line.

P.S.

When I spoke with a Princess representative they said this was all "nonsense"!When I called back to confirm they said this is a new program they are rolling out.The representative said that when you print out the luggage tags that there are instructions.It may read like this:

1.Once you have printed your luggage tags on your printer (assuming you have one),next-

2.Get in your car and drive to Walmart.

3.Decide if you wish to purchase a)clear packing tape,b)plastic laminate and/or c)sturdy poster board

4.You will also need something to attach the tag once you have assembled.Decide if you prefer twist ties,heavy duty rubber bands or plastic cord.

5.Now that your back home,its time to construct your luggage tags.

6.Cut out six luggage tags.

7.Lay piece of tape on hard surface sticky side up.

8.Lay one tag on top of tape.

9.Place a second piece of tape over existing tape/tag.

10.If you would like to use the "color option",cut out piece of colorful poster board that you have chosen which is 1 inch larger than the luggage tag in width & length.

11.Use more packing tape to attach to poster board.

12.Punch hole in tag (if you have a hole punch) otherwise, use a phillips screwdriver.

13.Attach rubberband or securing device.

14.REPEAT PROCESS AS OFTEN AS NECESSARY!

That is Exactly what I do .For our BTB cruise on Carnival Spirit .Idid mine ,myson's and my sister 4 each per voyage ...LOTS OF TAGS

My husband was wondering what I was doing ...it was TIME consuming ..but I take it in stride ..part of cruise preparation

Next they will ask us to lug our bags ourselves!!! OHO maybe I should not Say it too LOUDLY!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if all the cruiselines don't go to this. I know we used to get printed documents in the mail from HAL, RCCI, and NCL.

But the last few years have wrought many changes. We received electronic documents for Celebrity in '06, and Princess in '08.

HAL did still send their famous blue wallet with documents and luggage tags in Aug '07 for our Alaska cruise. There were four of us and we each got one. Made keeping documents on the trip very easy. But I understand they have now discontinued this too.

And I'm sure they will still have the hand written ones at the pier. Just takes a couple minutes to put your name & cabin number on one.

I have used packaging tape (the 3M clear kind that is about 2" wide) on both sides, then punch holes at one end and use a zip tie to attach it to our bags. Never had one rip and in fact, I have had to cut them off when we return home:D. The other suggestion - and I had done this as well - is take the tags to Office Max/Kinko's/etc and have them laminate the whole page and then cut them apart, punch holes and zip tie. This costs about $3 per page and usually that's 6 tags.

Staples charges .99 cents per laminated page.

You should not have to.

Why should anyone be expected to have to do this??? :confused:

I completely agree.

What is the big deal? Someone is going to cancel their cruise because they have to print their own luggage tag? Oh, my!!!

Because it's not my job to have a printer to print 'em, and then go shopping for laminated paper and hole punches and ties and all that other garbage. Providing luggage tags is part of the cost of doing business, same as issuing us all cruise cards and printing out our namecards for the door -- i.e., it's Princess's job to provide me luggage tags, not my responsibility to jury-rig them in some bizarre re-enactment of elementary school craft time.

I completely agree.

Because it's not my job to have a printer to print 'em, and then go shopping for laminated paper and hole punches and ties and all that other garbage. Providing luggage tags is part of the cost of doing business, same as issuing us all cruise cards and printing out our namecards for the door -- i.e., it's Princess's job to provide me luggage tags, not my responsibility to jury-rig them in some bizarre re-enactment of elementary school craft time.

I agree and how much do you think this will slow down the delivery of luggage to your cabin, having to read all the homemade luggage tags.

This is cost cutting gone a little too far imho.

Mike:)

I agree and how much do you think this will slow down the delivery of luggage to your cabin, having to read all the homemade luggage tags.

This is cost cutting gone a little too far imho.

Mike:)

This is the first I've heard of this luggage tag nonsense. while I am quite

capable of designing my own tags, I shouldn't have to. This could be

quite intimidating to someone elderly like my mother who doesn't have

access to a computer hooked up to a printer, number one, and number two, it's ludicrous that they're sending people through all these hoops

just to tag their luggage.:eek: The tags should look uniform, not like

school projects.

So assuming airlines start getting pax to print their own bag tags for checked luggage you would be happy to do this as well?

Sorry to break it to you, but the airlines are already doing this... I flew from Vancouver to Ottawa a couple of weeks ago and printed my own baggage tag from a kiosk at the airport, then dropped my bag on a conveyor belt and headed through security. It sure beat the heck out of standing in line with 90 other people. :)

Archived