NZ will have its its first superliner!

Kiwi_cruiser

16 Oct 2009

P&O Cruises to Launch Pacific Pearl in Auckland

P&O Cruises today announced it will launch its latest superliner, Pacific Pearl, in Auckland, in an historic first which recognises the growing popularity of cruising in New Zealand.

The 63,500-tonne, 1800-passenger superliner will be christened in Auckland Harbour on 19 December next year, before commencing a summer season of six new cruises from the city.

Speaking in Auckland at the launch of the 2009-10 cruise season, Ann Sherry, CEO of Carnival Australia which operates P&O Cruises, said Pacific Pearl’s debut would represent the first time a cruise line had launched a superliner in New Zealand.

“Given New Zealand is driving so much of our growth we thought it only fitting that the fourth ship for our expanding fleet, Pacific Pearl, should be launched in Auckland,” Ms Sherry said.....http://pocruises.com.au/html/p-o-cruises-to-launch-pacific-pearl-in-auckland.cfm

Source: P&O Cruises

This is wonderful news. Particularly for us here in oz. We will now be able to fly over on cheap fares, go on a cruise, and have time after to see bits of NZ....

I can see some great holidays coming up in the future for us, on a more regular basis. Very nice.

Jen

The other consequence of Pearl going there is that Sun is being re-directed from Fremantle back to Sydney. It looks like there were a surprising number of bookings out of NZ that were greater than the West to make those changes.

The other consequence of Pearl going there is that Sun is being re-directed from Fremantle back to Sydney. It looks like there were a surprising number of bookings out of NZ that were greater than the West to make those changes.

Its another market yet to be milked.....

and P&O are going for it.....

as they have it all on their own.

oysterfiend About time our dollars got some recognition

Now if only we could get some newer ships to sail out of /or into Auckland in the winter when I really want to holiday-

so we get another ...

Hand me down...:eek:

It was a lovely ship....

Once.

Now if only we could get some newer ships to sail out of /or into Auckland in the winter when I really want to holiday-

You talking about Princess, RCI, HAL etc… ships? sailing from NZ in the winter?? (That would be nice!)

At least (I Hope) the Pacific Pearl will sail out of Auckland in winter as well, which will be good!.

Please correct me if I am wrong.....but I thought the Sun was going up to Newcastle, just north of Sydney. Anyone alse heard of this?

I know the Pacific Sun is doing a few trips from Newcastle this year / next year, but unsure about 2011, but I would think since the Pacific Sun is going back to Sydney in 2011, that she would do a few runs from Newcastle.

so we get another ...

Hand me down...:eek:

It was a lovely ship....

Once.

Its better then northing :) (And better then sailing on the Pacific Sun for the 4 or 7 time!), and I would think she will still be a lovely ship.

Hi,

Please correct me if I am wrong.....but I thought the Sun was going up to Newcastle, just north of Sydney. Anyone alse heard of this?

Jen

This is the plan for 2009/10 for Pacific Sun

Dec 2009 - Feb 2010 cruising from Fremantle, relocating back to Sydney on Feb 24 arriving March 6.

Mar 6 2010 - 14 night cruise to Fiji from Sydney

Mar 20 2010 - Sydney - Auckland relocation cruise

Mar 24 2010 - July 3 2010 - cruising from Auckland

July/August 2010 - Cruises out of Sydney

September/October 2010 - Cruises out of Newcastle doing a serieis of cruises to the South Pacific via Brisbane (Brisbane, Emerald Bay, Noumea, Isle of Pines) and one coastal cruise to the Whitsunday's and Cairns, ending with a 2 night cruise from Newcastle to Sydney.

Originally she was supposed to relocate to Perth from Sydney on November 5, but I guess now she will be taking up the cruises out of Sydney that were scheduled for Pacific Pearl.

Just make sure that when Ocean Village finally becomes Pacific Pearl she continues to have sailaways like this!

It'll cushion the blow of losing her if we know you're all having a similar good time!

:)

Thanks for the video link sheeper, that’s a great video!! :)

It would be neat to have a sail away like that with the Pacific Pearl / Pacific Jewel, hopefully that may happen one day!!.

And I am sure her christening will be great!! (I Hope so!) (I have already put the date of her christening in my calendar)

I think it's great there'll be more options for cruising out of Auckland. It makes cruises to destinations like Samoa and Tahiti more marketable, being that much closer. From Australia the cruises to Tahiti & Samoa have to be long ones (eg Pearls of Tahiti @ 28 days) and thus not as attractive for those of us who have to work to afford to cruise, and consequently only have 20 days annual leave.

Well thats one up for the Kiwis :D. You've landed the best ship of the OV fleet.

Pearl is miles better than the Jewel.

Deck 14: Pearl has Bayside Nightclub/lounge and gym in Dome rather than the Spa on the Jewel.

Deck 14: Loads more open deck space including wrap-around deck in front of the dome.

Deck 14 aft: Pearl has Sports court/net with Basketball/cricket/soccer etc.. Jewel doesn't!

Deck 12 Pearl has a swim-up bar, Jewel has standard bar (although they still call it the splash bar!)

Deck 12 aft Pearl has loads more seating area outside the restaurant to eat in the fresh air.

Deck 11 Pearl has a family centre including dedicated rear family deck with another sports net/paddling pool

Deck 7 The Marquee lounge on Pearl has step free access, on the Jewel they have silly steps at the end which cause some inconvenience for disabled/buggies

Deck 6 Village square/Atrium - Pearl has a separate bar and another shop, Jewel has extra cabins at this level.

Deck 5 Pearl has the 200 seat Cinema, Jewel doesn't

The only negative of the Pearl is that there is only one deck of balconies, so these cabins go quickly.

. The only negative of the Pearl is that .

She is no longer *OUR* ship :(

So please all you people look after her and her sister -- as much as we have --its a very very sad time for us OV cruisers

*sheds a tear here :-( *

xxx

You talking about Princess, RCI, HAL etc… ships? sailing from NZ in the winter?? (That would be nice!)

At least (I Hope) the Pacific Pearl will sail out of Auckland in winter as well, which will be good!.

I know the Pacific Sun is doing a few trips from Newcastle this year / next year, but unsure about 2011, but I would think since the Pacific Sun is going back to Sydney in 2011, that she would do a few runs from Newcastle.

Yes thats What I am talking about,

once you ve been on a Princess ship Pacific Sun just doesn't cut it!

I'd like to go on a 20-30 day plus Winter cruise from Auckland/vice versa in 2011 or 2012,

But not to the Pacific-

Been there done that!:D

Well thats one up for the Kiwis :D. You've landed the best ship of the OV fleet.

Pearl is miles better than the Jewel.

Deck 14: Pearl has Bayside Nightclub/lounge and gym in Dome rather than the Spa on the Jewel.

Deck 14: Loads more open deck space including wrap-around deck in front of the dome.

Deck 14 aft: Pearl has Sports court/net with Basketball/cricket/soccer etc.. Jewel doesn't!

Deck 12 Pearl has a swim-up bar, Jewel has standard bar (although they still call it the splash bar!)

Deck 12 aft Pearl has loads more seating area outside the restaurant to eat in the fresh air.

Deck 11 Pearl has a family centre including dedicated rear family deck with another sports net/paddling pool

Deck 7 The Marquee lounge on Pearl has step free access, on the Jewel they have silly steps at the end which cause some inconvenience for disabled/buggies

Deck 6 Village square/Atrium - Pearl has a separate bar and another shop, Jewel has extra cabins at this level.

Deck 5 Pearl has the 200 seat Cinema, Jewel doesn't

The only negative of the Pearl is that there is only one deck of balconies, so these cabins go quickly.

Good to see the ships from the current users viewpoint.

I have been thinking that the Pearl (OV) has a much better layout than the Jewel (OV2). The Jewel seems to be a venue or two short and the Dome area is a total waste of a great space.

Whilst I'm happy for Auckland and Brisbane, I think P&O Australia has short changed their heartland in Sydney.

Or... I'm just greedy and wanted all the best options in Sydney. I couldn't possibly spent $79 to fly to Brisbane or $99 to fly to Auckland to cruise.

Cheers

Clive

I just read the P&O press release again.

......before commencing a summer season of six new cruises from the city.....

So the The Black Pearl will visit Auckland for a short season and be based in Sydney?

Cheers

Clive

To what I have been reading over in the Ocean Village forum, they don’t have that many choices…..

Yes, last of the non-traditional Carnival British lines. For me I'm hoping one or two cruises next year on OV (Pearl) and then its probably an end to cruising for me! :(

Yes,

looks like six cruises from Auckland for us, then back to Sydney. But maybe she will be back for the winter season.

To everyone from the UK that will miss the ship, why don’t you jump on a convenient 26 hour flight, spend a few weeks in the country that bases its tourism on Adventure and combine it with a cruise to the 'south seas'?

I am looking forward to seeing the prices, I hope a 10 night cruise on an inside cabins' not going to cost us $10k.

Good news for us, not so good for the displaced souls in Sydney who have already booked.

Steve

I just read the P&O press release again.

......before commencing a summer season of six new cruises from the city.....

So the The Black Pearl will visit Auckland for a short season and be based in Sydney?

Cheers

Clive

Hi Clive,

The Black Pearl...will have to do some research on this one. Sounds like a pirate ship.:D Thats ok by me...if Johnny Depp is onboard, then so am I.;) lol.

Cheers

Jen

Archived