Puzzled about "warm chocolate melting cake" on Legend

clerky96

We got off of the Legend on Oct 11th. Since I am a self-proclaimed "chocolate freak", I couldn't wait to try the warm chocolate melting cake that I had read so much about on these boards. I ordered it on the first night of the cruise. There was very little cake to be found, and mostly consisted of a thin cake shell and dark, runny, chocolate inside (think of chocolate syrup or thinner). Needless to say I was greatly disappointed. I waited a couple of days and decided to give it another try. This time it was chocolate cake with the inside having a consistency of chocolate pudding. It was great. The last night DH ordered it and it was all together different again. This time the whole thing was like a piece of very moist chocolate cake. Nothing inside was different than the outside. Very strange that the consistency was different each time we tried it. Now I can understand how someone could try it and not like it. First night was not very good, and the last night was just "so-so". So what is it really supposed to be like?

Sound like they are not cooking it consistently for the same length of time and temp.

Regardless.....sounds yummy.....all 3 versions. :D

I had chocolate melting cake every night on my last cruise. Each night it was different from being "underdone" (runny) to overbaked (all cake). I didn't like it too runny....

Sensation last October, it was good two out of three nights. The third night it was just cake like. I think one major question would be what was the dinner, early or late seating. Runny would be undercooked, so they ran out and had to make more in a hurry. Cakelike was overcooked, sat in oven too long.

I still will order it, but maybe will try something along with it. :pLOL

I guess I was a lucky one, every night when I was on the Carnival Pride last year, the melting cake was perfect. I had gotten the recipe before I went on my cruise so I made some at home just to see if I would like it and mine turned out just like they did on the ship. It could have been on the Pride they only had one cook doing the cakes and nothing else just to make sure they were done correctly. I will see how they are on the Splendor in a few months.

I have found first night dining room deserts are usually bad - or at least the ones I order. I got a nearly raw creme brule on the first night of one of our cruises, it was really horrible. In general, first night in the dining room just doesn't do it for me:(

This is an interesting thread. Up until last May, I had the chocolate melting cake on every Carnival Cruise and they were all wonderful. Then, while in the Inspiration, I ordered it and it was served runny. I chalked it up to a different pastry chef and didn't order it again. I guess I'll have to try it a couple of times during the week to see if it is an issue on the Freedom. Tough work but someone has to do it! LOL:D

I ordered it every night on our recent 8 night Miracle cruise and every night it was exactly the same...brownie-like with the middle kind of runny, like the consistancy of thick hot fudge. I would LOVE to get my hands on that recipe :)

I've tried to replicate the recipe at home--found it all over the Web. Each recipe was a little different. I even bought 8 ramekins and tried very carefully to divide the recipe. Never got it right. One time it was all cake and no pudding. Another time it was all pudding and no cake around the outside. I give up--will just have to book a cruise to get the real deal. They've always been perfect on the ship.

I ordered it every night on our recent 8 night Miracle cruise and every night it was exactly the same...brownie-like with the middle kind of runny, like the consistancy of thick hot fudge. I would LOVE to get my hands on that recipe :)

Here you go! You might want to cut the proportions to 1/4 of the recipe? Ha, Ha! Then again...maybe not...how much to your REALLY like it! ;):D

Chocolate Melting cake

Recipe By: Carnival Cruise Lines

Serving Size: 25 Preparation Time: 0:00

Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient — Preparation Method

——– ———— ——————————–

2 pounds semisweet chocolate

2 pounds butter

19 1/2 each fresh eggs

1/2 pound sugar

2/3 pound flour

Melt Chocolate & Butter

Mix half egg & Sugar and whisk for few minutes & add flour. Then add the balance egg.

Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture.

Pour the mixture in the ramekin cups.

Bake directly in the oven at 200 C° for 15 to 20 minutes.

Dust with powdered sugar and serve with vanilla ice cream in 2 oz ramekin cups.

it's always been delishhhhhhhhhhh for me, and i order 2 scoops of ice cream with it! :D

I had it every night also with 2 scoops of ice cream :) It tasted great every night even though it is true its texture and amount of liquidiness was different each night. This was just last weekend :)

Here is the recipe that Carnival provided when they did the House Parties. I used the plastic cups from Wal-mart for condiments. This makes around 20.

1 pound Dark Chocolate

1 pound Butter

10 Eggs

10 ounces Sugar

6 ounces Flour

Melt the chocolate and butter. Mix the eggs with the sugar and whisk for a few minutes; add the flour. Combine the egg mixture with the melted chocolate and mix. Then pour into individual greased molds. Bake directly in the oven at 400° F for 14 minutes.

Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and garnish with fresh fruit. Serve warm with ice cream.

Note: Please make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and the chocolate is warm enough while making the mixture.

wcmc.JPG

Archived