oil hits $82 a barrel

tazdeb

$82 a barrel because of the falling dollar. We are going to Europe this spring and the Euro is about $151.00 to our dollar. No shopping for us.:(
A Euro is worth $151.00? I'm going to have to dig out the leftover coins from our last cruise and turn them in. :)

I don't think they will re-institute the fuel surcharge just yet. There are too many people who will cancel based on that. With the Oasis due out shortly they can't afford to lose any bookings on her.

(Strictly my opinion and I have been known to be wrong once is a very long while. :D)

IMHO $90:eek:

I find it unfair they say they will add that to your cruise even if you have payed in full

I would understand if they added it before full payment then we would at least have a choice to cancel without penalty

I don't think they will re-institute the fuel surcharge just yet. There are too many people who will cancel based on that. With the Oasis due out shortly they can't afford to lose any bookings on her.

(Strictly my opinion and I have been known to be wrong once is a very long while. :D)

Agree that is at least half the equation...other part is what happens at the carnival...if they do then RCCL may...if they don't I suspect RCCL will hold off as long as they can.

Last year we waited to see if the surcharge would be reinstated. There are going to be tons of threads about this. Know what? It is what it is. I hope the charge doesn't come back but I am prepared that it will.

Don't sweat the small stuff or things you can't control. Meet you at the sky bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

If they are like a lot of airlines, they buy there fuel on futures contracts, so the price they are currently paying is not based on today's price, but based on what they estimated a few months ago that it would cost today. So today they could buy futures for January/February, so more than likely the price would have to stay up for a while, so they had to purchase a contract for it at the higher price, then they would implement it.

Carnival announced that they will add their fuel charge starting next Monday. RCCL may not be far behind. Hope not!:confused:

Where was this posted I cant find it anywhere

Agreed. RCI is know as a follower, not a leader.

In what universe is this true? Certainly not in the area of introducing new and innovative ships. :rolleyes: As far as fuel charges are concerned, none of the lines wants to be the first to reintroduce them, but if oil prices continue their climb, it is probably inevitable. They have certainly made it clear to everyone that a fuel surcharge if it has to be added, will be done even if you have fully paid for your cruise. It might not be a pleasant thing but hard to claim it is unfair if you have been given proper notice, and the surcharge imposition has been tied to the price of oil, not something that they have much if any control over.

If anyone has evidence that the surcharge has already been reintroduced but hidden among the various fees and taxes, I suggest you provide that evidence to your state's attorney general and ask that they investigate. Failing that it is more than a little cynical and perhaps irresponsibile to toss out such a charge with nothing more than your unfounded suspicions to back it up.:rolleyes:

What is the reasoning behind the prices of oil increasing now? All I hear is demand is low and inventories are up. And we're now going far away from peak driving season which is summer. What gives? Greed, I guess.

Want my opinion?? Tough, your getting it anyway.. :D

I think Royal Carib implemented the "Fuel Charge" when they did because they knew they were coming up short on the funds for OASIS....remember that? They used that as a cover up, because it was the perfect excuse...the only problem......Oil prices fell sooner then they anticipated. In my opinion they wont implement it again, even if Carnivore does.....

The Oil price is mainly due to the weak US dollar, since oil is priced in US dollars. Hope they don't add "Fuel charge", or I'll just have to take it out of other spending in my cruise budget.

The US dollar vs the Australian dollar has gone from .67 to .92 in the last 5 months since I booked my cruise, and I still have 6 more weeks to go :eek:

This means that everything I buy, especially the 3 days before the cruise when we are in Sydney, is going to cost me 37% more. Figure that's at least an extra $300. :(

At least the Airfare, Hotel and Cruise are already paid for.

The exchange rate has gotten so bad, the ship excursion prices are almost looking reasonable. :D

That is the reason they went and changed all the fine print allowing them to add these fuel surcharges even after fianl payment. I am so glad I have told everyon in my group for January to expect to pay those surcharges that way they will be a bother but not unexpected.

My travel documents from the TA says,

"If oil should rise above $70 per barrel, RCCI reserves the right to add an additional fuel surcharge to your reservation."

This is what I found on the RCCI web site:

What is your Fuel Supplement Policy? - Royal Caribbean International Print This Page Q: What is your Fuel Supplement Policy? A: For US reservations, Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65.00 USD per barrel.

As of right now, I am very happy with no fuel surcharge. However, I have budgeted my cruise accordingly, planning to have to pay that extra amount should they reinstate it. It is an extra $280 that I could be spending elsewhere, and should I not have to pay it, RCCL will probably be seeing it in the from of a bar bill or excursion. Hopefully, it will be spent in more fun ways than fuel!

Don't like the fule surcharge?

Call your benevolent Congress, ask them to stop spending..They have destroyed the value of the US dollar. That is why oil had rocketed back up!

No, it is not some evil Corporation out to destroy your life...it is your government spending your granchildren's future.

Oasis? Are you kidding? Do you have a clue as to how cruise ships are built and paid for? RCI does not fund the ship until it is accepted from the shipyard after it meets the minimum standards pre-agreed to upon initiation of construction.

Want my opinion?? Tough, your getting it anyway.. :D

I think Royal Carib implemented the "Fuel Charge" when they did because they knew they were coming up short on the funds for OASIS....remember that? They used that as a cover up, because it was the perfect excuse...the only problem......Oil prices fell sooner then they anticipated. In my opinion they wont implement it again, even if Carnivore does.....

Has nothing to do with the financing of Oasis. Some need to learn how the industry works before making such comments.:rolleyes:

Archived