Why no home ship for NY port

cpacheco212121

You do have some choices in NYC.

Norwegian , carnival and holland america.

It's not a huge port like Miami but they do have sailings.

Princess has their port in Brooklyn and in Bayonne NJ you have royal caribbean / celebrity.

I personally would love MORE choices to the carribean from NY in general.

Hope this helps.

Hey all. i was just wondering why there is no home ship for the NY port? I am always haveing to fly to every cruise i take. Not complaining i love to travel. It would just be soo awesome if i could just hop on the subway and catch the ship:D

Hey all. i was just wondering why there is no home ship for the NY port? I am always haveing to fly to every cruise i take. Not complaining i love to travel. It would just be soo awesome if i could just hop on the subway and catch the ship:D

Three words...

December...

January...

February...:eek::eek:

For a ship to cruise the Caribbean from NY it would have to be a long itenary, as in longer than 8 days really, to make any sense at all because of the distance.

Currently carnival has 8 day Bahamas and Caribbean cruise and a 6 day Bermuda cruise...They are just soo expensive compared to the other cruises leaving from other ports. I gather it has something to do with the distance.

Three words...

December...

January...

February...:eek::eek:

Thats when we new yorkers need the warth the most :p

I think OP has a valid question here (disclaimer: I stare out my apartment window and can see the Empire State Building). RCCL sails a ship out of the NY Metro area year round (and quite a large one at that), and NCL sails out of NY in the winter too.

Since Carnival is able to attract more people to cruising who can't afford the other lines (and has the "homeporting" concept down to a science), it seems like something they could do.

I wonder if CCL has "run the numbers" and if so what they said...not that such data would be released to the public.

Yup they would have to be longer cruise's....I lived in the bronx all my life, just moved upstate a year ago....

Have taken a few cruise out of NY, and I now fly else where....its still cheaper to fly out, spend the night in a hotel and cruise then it is to leave out of NY...it kills me, I would love to do it still, but cost and length screws it up....

I think OP has a valid question here (disclaimer: I stare out my apartment window and can see the Empire State Building). RCCL sails a ship out of the NY Metro area year round (and quite a large one at that), and NCL sails out of NY in the winter too.

Since Carnival is able to attract more people to cruising who can't afford the other lines (and has the "homeporting" concept down to a science), it seems like something they could do.

I wonder if CCL has "run the numbers" and if so what they said...not that such data would be released to the public.

I think they might have "run the numbers" but i dont see how they would lose money. When i took the triumph out of NY in june, man was it packed so i would think they would get a lot of repeaters if the did this

Soon to be 5 this November. We live in upstate and love sailing out of NYC. We have sailed Carnival, NCL and Holland America all to the Caribbean and all during Feb. Usually it is at least a 10 or 11 day sailing but so nice without flights!! This Nov. we are taking the new Carnival Dream out of NYC and that is the first one to go to Port Canaveral and the Bahamas, thought we would try this as we never done that itinerary.

MSC is supposedly going to put a ship here in the winter also but not sure when.

For a ship to cruise the Caribbean from NY it would have to be a long itenary, as in longer than 8 days really, to make any sense at all because of the distance.

Best cruises I have been on have been long NCL repos that begin in NY and end...elsewhere (NOLA or Miami)

Leaving for another, one week from tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

and I now fly else where....its still cheaper to fly out, spend the night in a hotel and cruise then it is to leave out of NY...it kills me, I would love to do it still, but cost and length screws it up....

I agree 100% - cheaper for us to fly out, even with 4 in the family! That is why we sailed out of NOLA this summer! Air, 4 nites in hotel, and penthouse suite for the 4 of us on ship cost less than sailing in one balcony cabin out of NY! BTW - my best friend took one of the NCL cruises to Bermuda this summer - said never again - food stank - they all (5 of them) lost weight during cruise. And they are not picky eaters. I wish Carnival would do some more NY to Bermuda cruises - April is not a good month of me (teacher) or dh (accountant)

I love being able to cruise out of NYC with no air needed.. My last two cruises have been 11 dayers on the Noordam in January.. HAL pulled the Noordam because they said they were having to discount prices to fill the ship.. Bottom line 2 days down & 2 days back from the Caribbean takes alot of fuel..

The Miracle is very similar in size to the Noordam but is only 8 days, and does not do the route in the winter months..

The Noordam also has a retractable roof over their center pool area for when the temps outside were on the cool side..

Bulldog

We have done this a few times. E train to 50th Street, then walk to pier. We'll be doing the Canada 5 nighter next June.

Yes, Indeed. We drove there the first time. took the west side and was so excited when i saw the tail! But next time i am just going to hope on the train!

S7300714.jpg.f416a5cd46fae0914d3d67280d6063b0.jpg

Don't stick your tongue out at me I grew up in Binghamton, NY.....:eek::eek:

Brrrrrrrrrrr.....cold......

yeahhhh! i hear you, I'm still here... I'll vouch for that. VERY cold:(

and right now, it's been pouring since yesterday morning:mad:

i do believe its the 2nd most miserable city in the US

Best cruises I have been on have been long NCL repos that begin in NY and end...elsewhere (NOLA or Miami)

Leaving for another, one week from tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

We have never done a repo cruise. Would love to do one. Have a great time!

While RCL does sail out of Bayonne year round, please be aware that their ships do not have a retractable dome (neither do the NCL's ships). Last year I did a 11-day sailing down to the Caribbean that left on 11/1. I vowed never again to do it -- why -- because you could not be outside on the Explorer or even use your balcony because it was wide open and too cold to be outside on the decks.

I cannot tell you how unhappy most of the passengers where because of a lack of a dome. Everyone avoided the decks. We had almost 6 sea days of misery confined to only inside activities.

Carnival ships have the dome as well as HAL ships and Princess ships. This truly makes for an all weather ship wherever the ship may sail and helps to keep passengers happy since they can take advantage of using a pool and the hot tubs.

There is a market for a ship to be in NY in the winter. Since Carnival made the decision not to sail in Europe next year, how about sending a ship to NY year round? 8 days or longer would be fantastic!

MARAPRINCE

Archived