Why no home ship for NY port

cpacheco212121

While RCL does sail out of Bayonne year round, please be aware that their ships do not have a retractable dome (neither do the NCL's ships). Last year I did a 11-day sailing down to the Caribbean that left on 11/1. I vowed never again to do it -- why -- because you could not be outside on the Explorer or even use your balcony because it was wide open and too cold to be outside on the decks.

I cannot tell you how unhappy most of the passengers where because of a lack of a dome. Everyone avoided the decks. We had almost 6 sea days of misery confined to only inside activities.

Carnival ships have the dome as well as HAL ships and Princess ships. This truly makes for an all weather ship wherever the ship may sail and helps to keep passengers happy since they can take advantage of using a pool and the hot tubs.

There is a market for a ship to be in NY in the winter. Since Carnival made the decision not to sail in Europe next year, how about sending a ship to NY year round? 8 days or longer would be fantastic!

MARAPRINCE

My guess if they did it, it would have to be a Spirit class of ship (they do have dome's and are smaller, faster and more efficient) and it would have to be an eight day. Bermuda (and whether they would want another ship to dock there) would be biggest variable....I would guess.

Going aboard, God Willing, on the Largest Ship Carnival Corp. CCL/CUK :NYSE/LSE ever had built and/or leased... 11/15/2009 A.D. :cool: The DREAM.

In NYC the Two passenger Cruise Ship Terminals have had over One Million paying Passengers this year so far (2009 A.D.) which is another record.

New Jersey too in the old MOTBY which is in the City of Bayonne, Hudson County. They do have the older now EOS ( Explorer of the Seas ) still there.. and a few other even the Queen Mary II has been there now a few times when Red Hook is is filled ( only Pier 12 there )

The City of Hoboken, Hudson County, NJ used to have cruise ships there all the time.. Why hasn't the NJ and Port Authority of NY/NJ rebuilt that now????

The cruise lines could have built smaller powerful ships to even go to the Bermudian Islands and Caribbean too...!

One thing is the Costs associated with cruising which may be the under- problem here... Advertising is really paltry on the TV/Radio and kind of generic..

Advertise more and they will/shall get better booking results..as the Greater NYC Area here is the largest Marketplace and VERY..very Competitive.!!

The best Cruise lines will do well again and with fuller ships..

If they do not COMPETE and only have One Cruise line ..well guess who books the cruises and cabins//\\ ?

The North and Hudson Rivers do freeze in winter. I can attest to that as I have been stuck in ice flows in them here.

Will the US Coast Guard have an Ice Breaker on the ready for that?

yeahhhh! i hear you, I'm still here... I'll vouch for that. VERY cold:(

and right now, it's been pouring since yesterday morning:mad:

i do believe its the 2nd most miserable city in the US

But the leaves are pretty.Can't say anything good about the winters.

I think they might have "run the numbers" but i dont see how they would lose money. When i took the triumph out of NY in june, man was it packed so i would think they would get a lot of repeaters if the did this

New York cruises tend to do well when the cruise lines sail them. I've heard that RCCL runs sold out year round (at some pretty high fares) from Bayonne, and the most common complaint on the Caribbean Princess (one of Princess' largest ships) out of NYC in the summer is that it's too crowded.

I think Carnival could have a pretty good competitive advantage if they put a ship with a retractable roof (and some heat in the pool area) out of New York year round. I wonder how a Spirit Class doing 8-days (or longer) in the winter trips to the Bahamas/Caribbean might work out.

I think that NYC is an area that would do quite well with year round sailings to the caribbean 7-9 or even 10 days would probably do quite well. If RCCL can sail year round out of Bayonne NJ then whats the reason for not doing it from NYC ?

I'd prefer to leave from NY each cruise. We're driving to Maryland for our Nov.1st cruise ,luckily it's only a 3 hour drive and we really wouldn't want to drive much further than that . When you figure the cost of RCCL to the caribbean the prices are higher than the usual from this area but their sailings are longer and no airfare is needed. Guess we can't have it all .

We personally LOVE the NYC to Bermuda sailings BUT NCL won't be doing them after early september 2010 and Holland America seems to be taking over but they too don't offer too many sailings? Whats up with this.. anyone know ? CARNIVAL... why don't you pick up this area. Bermuda is a gorgous Island and the people are so friendly and warm.

Just my 2 cents....

New York cruises tend to do well when the cruise lines sail them. I've heard that RCCL runs sold out year round (at some pretty high fares) from Bayonne, and the most common complaint on the Caribbean Princess (one of Princess' largest ships) out of NYC in the summer is that it's too crowded.

I think Carnival could have a pretty good competitive advantage if they put a ship with a retractable roof (and some heat in the pool area) out of New York year round. I wonder how a Spirit Class doing 8-days (or longer) in the winter trips to the Bahamas/Caribbean might work out.

maraprince

you hit the nail on the head as to why no carnival ship sails from new york

year round TOO COLD

so out of an 8 day cruise you loose at least 4 days to the cold. 2 down, 2 back.

bermuda is not a tropical island, picture south carolina in winter, and you have have bermuda tempetures, so while you could go there i guarantee nobody would be happy about it.

i did Bermuda from Philadelphia a few years ago at the end of october.

waters were choppy, and while bermuda is a nice island, even at the end of october it was too cold for my personal taste.

that is also why i have no ambition to book any alaska cruise either

the theory at least about Baltimore is you only loose 2 days total to the cold.

1 down, 1 back same with Charlestone SC

so sailing out of either of these on a seven day cruise you still have more warm time 5 days, than sailing out of new york

Maam,

On HAL , I really appreciate that Cruise Line of Carnivals now and before, even when they were almost Ch 7 status..

Write the President of HAL in Seattle, WA.

They there in WA now, 2009 A.D., surpassed Vancouver, BC , Canada in the volumes of Cruise Ship passengers ever too.

Associated costs and Political Elections now coming are the perfect time for all of us Cruisers to Voice what we would like...

Even to US Sen. (d-NJ) Roberto Menedez and Gov. (d-NJ) (( up for re-election )) Jon Corzine.

Both by the way live in the same building in the City of Hoboken, Hudson County, NJ there...

They may, finally, get off there duffs and do something for us American and Garden State Cruisers ..finally if asked.:mad:

What else have the done for us? Well raise taxes the highest ever, not fulfill there promises, etc...

The Bermudian Islands which also carry the actual name of Somers Isles too where Admiral Somers was at the Helm in 1609 going to re-supply Jamestown in VA with Captain Newport aboard her as well.

To me those islands are some of the nicest in the world!

Again why doesn't NJ and Gov. (d-NJ) Jon Corzine do something to bring back Cruising to New Jersey and the City he resides in ? :eek:

Oh eeee gast that would mean more revenues for NJ ...;)

Sorry I do so hate to see such waste of wonderful Cruising resources!

I think that NYC is an area that would do quite well with year round sailings to the caribbean 7-9 or even 10 days would probably do quite well. If RCCL can sail year round out of Bayonne NJ then whats the reason for not doing it from NYC ?

I'd prefer to leave from NY each cruise. We're driving to Maryland for our Nov.1st cruise ,luckily it's only a 3 hour drive and we really wouldn't want to drive much further than that . When you figure the cost of RCCL to the caribbean the prices are higher than the usual from this area but their sailings are longer and no airfare is needed. Guess we can't have it all .

We personally LOVE the NYC to Bermuda sailings BUT NCL won't be doing them after early september 2010 and Holland America seems to be taking over but they too don't offer too many sailings? Whats up with this.. anyone know ? CARNIVAL... why don't you pick up this area. Bermuda is a gorgous Island and the people are so friendly and warm.

Just my 2 cents....

The cruise lines may have a memory. A couple of years ago a cruise ship out of New Jersy diverted north to Canada instead of sailing south into a possible store. New Jersey and Corsine either threatened to file suit or did claiming the cruisers did not get what they paid for. Soooo what cruise line would want to be held to losing money every time the weather was bad in an area that has alot of bad weather??

Many pointed out that NJ did not have jurisdiction over a cruise line however wouldn't you just avoid the hassle?

I cruised out of ny twice and loved it!

To make a cruise out of NYC worth it during the winter months it has to be at least a 10 day cruise..IMO..

During these months you really need to get all the way down into the Carribean to have fun in the sun weather.. Depending on sea conditions it takes about 2 1/2 days to San Juan..

It should be one of the Spirit class ships w/ retractable domes.. When I boarded the Noordam out of NYC, in January, there were people already in the pool..

Bulldog

10 days sounds good to me :D

To make a cruise out of NYC worth it during the winter months it has to be at least a 10 day cruise..IMO..

During these months you really need to get all the way down into the Carribean to have fun in the sun weather.. Depending on sea conditions it takes about 2 1/2 days to San Juan..

It should be one of the Spirit class ships w/ retractable domes.. When I boarded the Noordam out of NYC, in January, there were people already in the pool..

Bulldog

Hey all. i was just wondering why there is no home ship for the NY port? I am always haveing to fly to every cruise i take. Not complaining i love to travel. It would just be soo awesome if i could just hop on the subway and catch the ship:D
Girl I'm crying with ya! At least you have something comming out of your home state... We in Georgia don't stand a chance. Even if they get 1 out of Savannah or Kingsland I still have at least a 5 hour drive to get there... So I just happy to be able to get my cruise on....:D

Truthfully, I wouldn't mind NOT having a ship port year-round out of NY if the prices were more reasonable during the NY cruises they do have now. Price point for the times I can cruise (school holidays) is definitely higher for sailings from here - maybe port charges are more? For me to fly somewhere else to cruise rather than sail from my "home" city is kinda crazy. My last cruise from NY was for my 1st anniversary - that was almost 26 years ago!

Hey all. i was just wondering why there is no home ship for the NY port? I am always haveing to fly to every cruise i take. Not complaining i love to travel. It would just be soo awesome if i could just hop on the subway and catch the ship:D

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO cpacheco212121: There are ships for the NY port. The Miracle does the Caribbean iternary and next year the Glory will do the Canadian run. Carnival Corp does have ships that run in and out during the year. However, there are no regular runs except for Cunard NY to Southampton.

You have the Dream (a Brand new ship) out of NY at Thanksgiving starting at $550 - Coves at $750.

What more could you ask for?

Truthfully, I wouldn't mind NOT having a ship port year-round out of NY if the prices were more reasonable during the NY cruises they do have now. Price point for the times I can cruise (school holidays) is definitely higher for sailings from here - maybe port charges are more? For me to fly somewhere else to cruise rather than sail from my "home" city is kinda crazy. My last cruise from NY was for my 1st anniversary - that was almost 26 years ago!

I hear what you are saying...I though the same thing too but when i put the airfare and cruise together that is the price for the cruise out of ny. So it really is no difference for me. As for the Dream it is not staying in NYC so what difference does it make it only has 3 sailings back to back and then it is stationed in Orlando

Carnival are you listening?

You are really missing out on a big market by not having a year round ship (could be different ships) leaving out of NYC. Your ships have domes and can accommodate passengers who want to be able to use a pool as soon as they board the ship and not want to wait until the outside temperatures warm up.

To make it worth Carnival's effort it would have to be at least a 9 or 10 day sailing down to the Caribbean and back. If RCL can do it out of Bayonne with no domes, why can't Carnival do it with a dome?

It is too costly to fly down to Fl. to board a ship in the winter and risk the chance that your flight will be canceled. You get the same number of ports but when you add in a pre cruise hotel stay, meals, sightseeing and the flights it ends up costing more than leaving out of NY. Why upgrade the terminals in NYC and not use them all year round? Something is missing here.

MARAPRINCE

The North and Hudson Rivers do freeze in winter. I can attest to that as I have been stuck in ice flows in them here.

Will the US Coast Guard have an Ice Breaker on the ready for that?

I live 1/2 mile off the Hudson south of Albany, and the river stays open all year thanks to the Coast Guard. There's a few times when the cutter Penobscot Bay (she's homeported at Bayonne - there's another cutter homeported there as well) has to break a fuel barge out of the ice, but by and large they do a great job of keeping the channel open.

Just curious - what's the difference between the North and Hudson Rivers?

NCL Dawn is always sold out. I did the Dawn New Years cruise a few years back, the first day was cold but by lunch the second day the weather was in the high 60s low 70s. I would do the Dawn again if the ports were better. There is no reason why Carnival can't sail out of NYC in the winter (in my eyes), NCL and RCCL do it. They can do the same ports Princess does on her 8 nighter.

I have not seen the hudson frozen in a good 15 years.

They could easily do a Bermuda run April - October and the Caribbean November to March. Occasionally a 14 day NYC to Southern Caribbean..

A sure win for all.

Carnival are you listening?

You are really missing out on a big market by not having a year round ship (could be different ships) leaving out of NYC. Your ships have domes and can accommodate passengers who want to be able to use a pool as soon as they board the ship and not want to wait until the outside temperatures warm up.

To make it worth Carnival's effort it would have to be at least a 9 or 10 day sailing down to the Caribbean and back. If RCL can do it out of Bayonne with no domes, why can't Carnival do it with a dome?

It is too costly to fly down to Fl. to board a ship in the winter and risk the chance that your flight will be canceled. You get the same number of ports but when you add in a pre cruise hotel stay, meals, sightseeing and the flights it ends up costing more than leaving out of NY. Why upgrade the terminals in NYC and not use them all year round? Something is missing here.

MARAPRINCE

NCL Dawn is always sold out. I did the Dawn New Years cruise a few years back, the first day was cold but by lunch the second day the weather was in the high 60s low 70s. I would do the Dawn again if the ports were better. There is no reason why Carnival can't sail out of NYC in the winter (in my eyes), NCL and RCCL do it. They can do the same ports Princess does on her 8 nighter.

I have not seen the hudson frozen in a good 15 years.

From January to Mid Feb. NCL sails the GEM on 10 day voyages to the Carribean. After that she sails the 7 day itinerary to FLA and the Bahamas. Starting April NCL is adding a second ship (Jewel) year round. Again sailing 10 day Carribean and 7 day FLA and Bahamas voyages.

I sail carnival every Summer out of NY and NCL every Winter. I can tell you NCL sails full all Winter long. From what I Understand Royal sails full year round as well. If Carnival sailed here year round and Alternated between 6 day cruises (Sunday-Saturday) to Nassau and Port Canaveral and 8 day (Saturday-Sunday) Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turks it would be my pick from NY

Me Personally I'd prefer Bermuda to anything , caribbean next.

Even the Bahamas withOUT florida would be nice.

From January to Mid Feb. NCL sails the GEM on 10 day voyages to the Carribean. After that she sails the 7 day itinerary to FLA and the Bahamas. Starting April NCL is adding a second ship (Jewel) year round. Again sailing 10 day Carribean and 7 day FLA and Bahamas voyages.

I sail carnival every Summer out of NY and NCL every Winter. I can tell you NCL sails full all Winter long. From what I Understand Royal sails full year round as well. If Carnival sailed here year round and Alternated between 6 day cruises (Sunday-Saturday) to Nassau and Port Canaveral and 8 day (Saturday-Sunday) Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turks it would be my pick from NY

Archived