Is 4 formal nights in 14 days overkill?

bonsat

I think it should depend on your locations and length of cruise as to how many formal nights. On our 26 day Amazon Float we had way toooooo many (I think it was 8). When on the Amazon River on the Prinsendam last year the MDR was very very warm (even the cold water in the shower was very hot) yet we had a formal night. The ladies have their fancy wear that is often sleeveless yet the men are suppose to wear a long sleeve shirt, closed at the neck with a tie and with a jacket - way tooo warm for that in my opinion. Have any of you ladies worn a closed neck blouse and tie in 90 degree temps - not fun:mad:.

I feel on the longer cruises (we are doing 33 days in Jan to South Pacific) that 1 per week is plenty and they should be only on Sea Days. I really don't feel like getting dressed up after touring all day in the hot sun.

If they schedule formal nights during our days in port in the South Pacific we will be hitting the Lido in very casual wear.

Just my 2 cents.

I'll be wearing a simple tux with matching formal slippers/thongs on all four nights but it's nice to have an alternative in the HAL casual Lido/room service if you change your mind and don't feel like dressing up. For that reason, I'm also packing my rappel harness, D-ring, carabiner and 100' of nylon rope;))

Non-stop from your balcony to the Tenders ? ? or swinging onto the Promenade ? ? ? ?

SOME people in the MDR might frown on that attire, or . . . . . .

Then again on a RSVP cruise it could be very popular :rolleyes:

I hope your Tux doesn't wrinkle much ;)

r.

I think it should depend on your locations and length of cruise as to how many formal nights......

I agree with this. Four formal nights for most 14-day sailings is just fine IMO, but for the longer cruises, or those with fewer sea days, twice/week can be a bit much. We've also had a formal night after a long hot day in port, and it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as those on sea days.

I guess it's a regional thing about being dressed up for business and dining. In my job, I wear a nice shirt, dress slacks and tie 5 days a week and in cooler weather I have a sport coat and top coat quickly at hand. So changing to a bow tie, and adding a jacket and cummerbund isn't such a big thing for me. The closer you are to New York, Boston and Washington DC, the more likely you are to be like me I suppose.

Getting dressed up for a special occasion is not a big deal to me. And I think it shows the folks who are working hard to make every night of our cruise a special occasion that we recognize their efforts.

Things are changing though. Casual dining restaurants are getting quite popular here too, and the old independent places where you got dressed up to attend, are going by the wayside. But there still are times and places that getting dressed up makes sense. I don't think you would go to see the President in jeans and a t-shirt at the White House. You would most likely not do that either for your own wedding. I still put formal nights in the Main Dining room of a cruise ship in the same category. It's an event that deserves our respect.

Unfortunately (IMO), I think formal nights are pretty much gone anyway, at least in the format they were originally intended. On our last cruise (Maasdam), I observed a total of 3 tuxs over the course of a formal night. I suspect the tradition was on its way-out anyway, and that new airline baggage charges have furthered the damage.

Well guess DH is going to be one of the three then...;)LOL

We're you early or late seating?..

We were on the Maasdam last Nov. & had any time dining..Always ate at 8:p.m....We saw many men in a Tux or dark suit..I can't belive it's changed that much in a year..

Rev,

Just guessing here, but you probably don't have to have a separate suit, underwear, shoes and jewelry for each formal night. You probably don't have to have to get your hair done, or your nails. So, for you, a formal night means What? A clean collar?:D

You are right the Men have it easy..;)

We're preparing for a 28 day cruise (2-14 days B2B) on the Statendam in a couple of weeks.. We have 8 formal nights..

DH will take his Tux with several different cummerbunds, vest & ties..

I'm taking a chiffon Skirt & chiffon Palazzo pants with four different dressy tops for the eight nights.. I can do my own nails, but probably will have my hair done several times...

I enjoy dressing up, as we so seldom get to dress in Southwest Fla..If HAL cuts out Formal nights I would be very disappointed..What would I do with all these dressy outfits?

I'll let you know when we get back if we were tired of it..

Cheers...:) Betty

I think it should depend on your locations and length of cruise as to how many formal nights. On our 26 day Amazon Float we had way toooooo many (I think it was 8). When on the Amazon River on the Prinsendam last year the MDR was very very warm (even the cold water in the shower was very hot) yet we had a formal night. The ladies have their fancy wear that is often sleeveless yet the men are suppose to wear a long sleeve shirt, closed at the neck with a tie and with a jacket - way tooo warm for that in my opinion. Have any of you ladies worn a closed neck blouse and tie in 90 degree temps - not fun:mad:.

I feel on the longer cruises (we are doing 33 days in Jan to South Pacific) that 1 per week is plenty and they should be only on Sea Days. I really don't feel like getting dressed up after touring all day in the hot sun.

If they schedule formal nights during our days in port in the South Pacific we will be hitting the Lido in very casual wear.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi,

I just saw your comments from some time ago re. Casper Tours. they sparked some questions:

Do you know if they still run? How large is the bus? How often do they go? Do they have a set schedule, of just go when they are full? Do they stop anywhere? Where other than around the city do they go?

Thanks for any answers...we go there on the Noordam next month.

If you wish, you can e-mail me at csepstein@mindspring.com

Finally, your pictures are great...we very much enjoyef them...Thanks for sharing!

Stan

4 formals is great on a 14 day. We love to get all gussied up for dinner when cruising! Its what makes cruising extra ordinary! Hubby rents a tux on board and brings an extra shirt or two for color changes. I bring a basic black long dress and a mid calf dress and accesories with different scarves and jewelery. I am having a formal dress made for my lil one on this 14 day cruise and will have her dress for dinner every night with the many dresses we are bringing for her. What fun it is to play dress up! Kinda brings me back to my youth and dressing up in grandmas attic!:D

Very nice and distinguished looking Randy!! And your wife is beautiful!!!

Joanie

Thank you. She's a lovely lady and I'm very fortunate. :) We do enjoy the formal nights, guess that comes from the "dress blues and tennis shoes" days at the O'club.

I'll be wearing a simple tux with matching formal slippers/thongs on all four nights but it's nice to have an alternative in the HAL casual Lido/room service if you change your mind and don't feel like dressing up. For that reason, I'm also packing my rappel harness, D-ring, carabiner and 100' of nylon rope;))

Copper - On formal night, how will you wear the rope? :D

......petite fromage

Personally, 4 nights strikes a good balance.

There are lines that have no formal nights but HAL isn't one of them. This is an advantage/disadvantage depending on your point of view.

It is a compromise policy - not meant to please everyone, but that is not possible anyway.

Smooth sailing...

Archived