Century 1/23 - Questions

Kre8tiv1

Hi Everyone,

I am not a new cruiser, but it's been almost six years since I've been on Celebrity and I've never been on a 5 day cruise. Thus, I have a few questions..

• Are there formal nights on a 5 day cruise?
  • Is there an Anytime Dining option?
  • I see that the itinerary on the Century 5 day Western Caribe cruises prior to ours are slightly different (Miami, Key West, Grand Caymen, Miami). Our itinerary is listed at Miami, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen, Miami. Anyone have any idea why this is?
  • What type of activities are available (other than gambling and night time entertainment). I am referring to classes or lectures.
  • Does Celebrity offer transportation from/to airport. Is it more cost effective to arrange my own?

Thanks much!

The 5 night cruises typically have 1 formal night. It seems to me that their maybe a lower percentage of tuxes & formals on the short cruises, but you will see them.

The 5 night cruises offer casual dining if you choose not to go to the MDR. I don't know if anytime dining will be available on Century -but someone here on the boards may know.

X does offer transportation to/from the port, but we always take a taxi, so I can't help you with that question or the others about the itinerary or the activities.

Don't worry, someone will know!

We are going on our 4th and 5th Century Caribbean cruises next month. We have done the 5 day Key West/Grand Cayman twice and the 4 day Key West/Cozumel once. This time we are going to do the Key West Cozumel 4 day and the Ocho Rios/Grand Cayman 5 day. Although I haven't checked their calendar lately, I think they generally follow a 5-5-4 day pattern, so that they complete 3 cruises every 14 days, but vary the combination of ports for each cruise. Maybe it's because it's more appealing for those wishing to book back to backs.

As for activities, I just pulled out a copy of Celebrity Today from our last cruise on Century. There were lectures (Celebrity Enrichment series) and demonstrations (like cooking, floral arrangement, etc.), group games, sports, dance lessons, arts and crafts, bridge, trivia contests, art auctions, sports, bingo, charades, port and shopping talks, etc. You should find plenty of things to do. It sounds like you may be more interested in the lecture series. It's hard to say what will be on your particular cruise. Some lectures that I have enjoyed were given by a professor of music who did presentations about various artists in a specific genre, i.e. Broadway musicals. They interspersed the story with musical selections to illustrate their points.

We had one formal night each time. Yes there were tuxes and formals, but a lot of suits, or dark jackets and cocktail attire too. I think our April cruises were less formal than the January one.

Sorry I can't help with the transportation end of it. We always drive to the port.

Although we enjoy longer cruises, we find the shorter cruises out of Florida are easier to plan to get together with friends and cruise. We love the Century. Hope you will too.

Thank you both for answering my questions. The only other time I cruised Celebrity, I was on the Zenith. It was nice, but not great. I was a bit disappointed in the food. But, that was 6 years ago. I'm optimistic that it will be better. But, it's a vacation so how bad could it be? :)

You have to try the Islands Bistro one evening. It was a great experience - excellent service, nice variety of dishes, nice ambience and tables for 2. Hubby and I still remember it fondly. Muranos was excellent and not to be missed too. If you like lamb, order it whenever you can. It was divine! Enjoy! Hope Franklin the guitarist from Chicago is back on Century - he's a great guy.

You have to try the Islands Bistro one evening. It was a great experience - excellent service, nice variety of dishes, nice ambience and tables for 2. Hubby and I still remember it fondly. Muranos was excellent and not to be missed too. If you like lamb, order it whenever you can. It was divine! Enjoy! Hope Franklin the guitarist from Chicago is back on Century - he's a great guy.

Hi Sandi,

Is there a surcharge for the Islands Bistro and Muranos?

Hi Erhlichpuppy,

I am interested in the spa also, but don't see much about it here on the boards. I was on the Caribbean Princess in May and the spa was awesome! I'm hoping for the same on the Century.

Hi

I'm also on the 1/23 cruise - Hi Linda- My last X cruise was on the Century before they stretched her. I can't wait to see the changes! Please tell me there is still a T-pool in the Spa !! My aching back is soooooo looking forward to it.

Century was given upgrades which were pretty extensive but it was not stretched.

Select dining will not be available on Century until Jan. 23, 2010...

Hi

I'm also on the 1/23 cruise - Hi Linda- My last X cruise was on the Century before they stretched her. I can't wait to see the changes! Please tell me there is still a T-pool in the Spa !! My aching back is soooooo looking forward to it.

The ship does not have a T-pool anymore. Aqua-Spa Cafe and

new Specialty Restaurant(Murano's), but when they added these

they removed the T-pool.

The ship does not have a T-pool anymore. Aqua-Spa Cafe and

new Specialty Restaurant(Murano's), but when they added these

they removed the T-pool.

OH NO!!!!!!! The brochure our travel agent gave us looked like they still had it , buit I guess not

Oh Linda- by the way, I am Illene & DH is Rick

Hi Sandi,

Is there a surcharge for the Islands Bistro and Muranos?

Islands Bistro was a bargain with a suggested gratuity of $2.00 pp. We were so impressed with the food & service that we gave far more than that!

Muranos was $30 pp, with wine the tab was around $100. Reasonable for such a high quality culinary & dining experience imo.

Muranos was $30 pp, with wine the tab was around $100. Reasonable for such a high quality culinary & dining experience imo.

Dining in Murano is about the only way to be assured of a nice dining experience IMHO. The main dining room on the Century (on both of our sailings) was nothing to write home about. We are skipping the MDR on our next Century sailing.

Tom

we are planning on Murano's, probaly for the 2nd night. I LOVE lamb. I don't know if we will do the Island Bistro, what kind of food to they specialize in?

Def. try Muranos. I actually found the lamb in the MDR to be just as good as Muranos actually. We had both rack of lamb and lamb shank there. Our main criticism of the MDR had nothing to do with the food or the service but with our dinner companions who had rather strong political views that they felt compelled to share with the rest of the table. That's why we tried the Islands Bistro and were glad we did. Food was "continental" I would say - I recall seafood dishes, pasta, not sure about beef. They do have a variety of appetizers, soup, salads, entrees and excellent desserts. It is definitely a different menu from the MDR. The waiters there are staff from the buffet I believe who are "auditioning" for a move up to MDR; as a result they are very eager to please and bend over backwards to make it a memorable experience for you. I loved the fact that there were tables for 2, right at the window, and it was quiet and unhurried.

Archived