Romance Package Price Change!

xu_chen

I think if they really can't hold the $79, then raise it to $99 (Those in marketing know that this is a better price to look at then $100+) . Ditch the party, and the nasty cake and canapies. Keep the strawberries , sparkling wine, dinner at Le B , house wine and give up one 5 x 7 photo of the passanger's choice. I would pay $99 for that combo.

Where do I sign up?

My interpretation of what you are saying is that if I booked a cruise for 2011 - two years from now - NCL should NOT change the price of any "extras" between now and then - sorry but I just don't agree.

Okay I agree they can change prices for 2011 cruises. But my cruise is past final payment date. Maybe they shouldn't change add-on prices so drastically after final payment date since I can't cancel anymore without penalty.

It would be a fair gesture from them to extend the $79 price to people whose cruises are past final payment. For all practical purposes we have no choice but to be on this cruise now, and our expectations and options should not be changed suddenly.

I think if they really can't hold the $79, then raise it to $99 (Those in marketing know that this is a better price to look at then $100+) . Ditch the party, and the nasty cake and canapies. Keep the strawberries , sparkling wine, dinner at Le B , house wine and give up one 5 x 7 photo of the passanger's choice. I would pay $99 for that combo.

Where do I sign up?

My point exactly. I would still consider paying $99 for the package and it will still make us happy. $135 makes me feel like the option's been suddenly ripped out of my hands by NCL. And they don't even have a good explanation for the increase.

Update

I called NCL and asked to speak to a supervisor. I no longer want the package as I think a la carte will be a better option for us. I just wanted an explanation for the price increase.

Well, our worst fears are confirmed. The supervisor (Vincent) told me the reason for the increase is because the cost of the components have gone up and it's being passed on to the consumers. I asked specifically which components and he says Le Bistro and champagne.

Make no mistake about it, my friends. The price of Le Bistro has been increased to $20 starting two days ago! Of course they gave no notice of this. A month ago when I booked the cruise, I specifically asked NCL for a list of specialty restaurant prices and Le Bistro was still $15 then.

Whether the prices of other restaurants/services on board have gone up this week as well remains to be seen. Hopefully someone on a recent cruise can report on that.

This is exactly what I feared most yesterday. I am well past final payment and there is now no way for me to cancel the cruise. It is becoming apparent that my on board account will be at least 25% higher than what I had planned. Either that or I will have to compromise on what services I receive.

Again, thanks NCL for not warning me about this before final payment! Why do I feel ripped off? Can anyone say "Bait and switch"?

p.s. I'll start a new thread on this, just to gather more information

Where do I sign up?

Sounds good to me...

Update

I called NCL and asked to speak to a supervisor. I no longer want the package as I think a la carte will be a better option for us. I just wanted an explanation for the price increase.

Well, our worst fears are confirmed. The supervisor (Vincent) told me the reason for the increase is because the cost of the components have gone up and it's being passed on to the consumers. I asked specifically which components and he says Le Bistro and champagne.

Make no mistake about it, my friends. The price of Le Bistro has been increased to $20 starting two days ago! Of course they gave no notice of this. A month ago when I booked the cruise, I specifically asked NCL for a list of specialty restaurant prices and Le Bistro was still $15 then.

Whether the prices of other restaurants/services on board have gone up this week as well remains to be seen. Hopefully someone on a recent cruise can report on that.

This is exactly what I feared most yesterday. I am well past final payment and there is now no way for me to cancel the cruise. It is becoming apparent that my on board account will be at least 25% higher than what I had planned. Either that or I will have to compromise on what services I receive.

Again, thanks NCL for not warning me about this before final payment! Why do I feel ripped off? Can anyone say "Bait and switch"?

Good grief...prices were raised because costs have increased. Horror of horrors!

Wow...LeBistro...the most underpriced restaurant on board given the quality of the food has been raised $5 pp!

What deception...what fraud...

What drama

:rolleyes:

Good grief...prices were raised because costs have increased. Horror of horrors!

Wow...LeBistro...the most underpriced restaurant on board given the quality of the food has been raised $5 pp!

What drama

Yeah I wish I didn't have a budget...:(

Look at the bright side---If they had told you that the prices (ala carte) hadn't gone up you would have had to say "they increased the package price for no reason" ;)

LOL yeah the can was full of worms but at least now I know what's inside! :D

The $79 package was the only thing I wanted for Christmas for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel at the end of January. Not anymore.

Now I have decided to bring my own bottle of champagne for the $15 corkage fee (I like to mix mimosa's after ordering OJ from room service and sip them out on my balcony) ;)

Have dinner at Le Bistro one night

and Dinner at the Tex/Mex one night

I am going to save $4. :)

Now if I could only figure out how to get just one little piece of that wonderful cake they had at the champagne and cake party. :(

The $79 package was the only thing I wanted for Christmas for our upcoming cruise on the Jewel at the end of January. Not anymore.

Now I have decided to bring my own bottle of champagne for the $15 corkage fee (I like to mix mimosa's after ordering OJ from room service and sip them out on my balcony) ;)

Now if I could only figure out how to get just one little piece of that wonderful cake they had at the champagne and cake party. :(

Make friends with someone who is attending the party and ask them to smuggle you out a piece:cool:.

Wow, I feel glad that I managed to book it for $79 ahead of time. But if I end up liking it, then I will not want to pay $135 next time and I'll be really disappointed... Sorry for everyone who was told to wait, as that really sucks :(

Well IMO:

1. If NCL wants SATISFACTORY customer service - forward my request to a supervisor, then give the old price to me

2. If NCL wants GOOD customer service - price change depends on when cruise was booked, honor the packages prices that's available at time of booking

3. If NCL wants EXCELLENT customer service - honor old price if a customer was aware of it, but change price on web page, brochures, welcome board booklet, etc.

Just worries me a little bit that if NCL's customer service (which I would rate FAIR) is so inflexible, what if something goes wrong on my cruise? Are they always going to take the hard line against me no matter what? Are they in financial trouble?

At the end of the day, NCL sells happiness and they could have sold me some more happiness. It's not like they lose money with $79 anyways.

Good point. While the $79 rate was a pretty smoking rate, they could certainly offer the old rate for several months while they update their website. We did book the package on our last cruise, and were more than satisfied. I was curious about their higher level packages, didn't think they were worth it.

I don't know if I would purchase it again at $135, seems a bit steep but I'm not certain. We were very pleased with Le Bistro.

We didn't end up getting the picture, just didn't get around to it.

We did go to the party, we were able to see the concierge lounge and had basically unlimited champagne and some more cake.

I liked the canapes, I understand most don't.

We were able to exchange the sparkling for the house red.

All in all, I think we _easily_ received way more than we paid for to say the least, but at $135 that may be closer to the actual value, such as the higher level packages, so we may just pass next time.

They're probably gonna have much smaller anniversary cake and champage parties now. Never did go to them. Just ordered the package for the champage and strawberries, dinner and wine. Now I'll just have to get them ala carte. No problem. :)

The party was fun and very low key, you should stop by next time if it fits your schedule. The champagne was pedestrian at best, but I still enjoyed a few glasses. We just had a good time being there.

The one we went to was pretty casual, I would imagine as long as there are enough people still buying the package you could just stop by and ignore the 'private party' sign. Maybe watch 'Wedding Crashers' before the cruise.

Bottom line, and I apologize in advance if I'm spamming this thread too much, is that it was a smoking deal, it is probably no longer a fantastic deal. It may still be OK but I don't know. I believe it is a fact that it would not kill them to honor the old price for a while for anyone that asked - others on their cruise receiveing the same benefits would have paid the same price.

On a side note, Le Bistro for $20 is _still_ a killer deal.

It is not unusual for prices to rise for holiday season. I know we experienced this in Disney World two years ago- very frustrating. The question is- are these price increases permanent?

Small increases are irritating, but wont break the bank, just adjust the budget.

What NCL should have done was to leave it at $79. for all that booked before say Nov.1. Any cruise booked after Nov. 1 the price is $135. This would have solved the problem.

We have ordered this package every time because it was a great deal but at $135. I would think twice. I booked it for our Dec. cruise about 3 weeks ago and got the old price.

I ordered this package 2 weeks ago for the Nov. 14th cruise on the Jade; got it for $79. Have had all the different packages on one cruise or another; usually split the higher price package with our daughter( when we cruised SouthAmerican). The cake and champagne party was a private party( one cruise we had 6 cabins.. but still our friends and always in our cabin. Will they combine ours with others and have it at a public place? We are celebrating our 57thwedding anniversary. Cruising alone this time, so maybe celebrating with others would be nice. Will not get the Romance package again at that higher price unless they add something to it. It is a great bargain at $79. Barbara

It is not unusual for prices to rise for holiday season. I know we experienced this in Disney World two years ago- very frustrating. The question is- are these price increases permanent?

Small increases are irritating, but wont break the bank, just adjust the budget.

We purchased the package for $79 twice during Holiday sailings and twice during non-holiday sailings. Sadly, I think that this is the new price not just an increase for the holidays :(.

What drama

Sure, sure it is ONLY 5 stinking dollars. Everybody who cruises can afford the 5 stinking dollars.

However, it is a 25% increase. I am sorry but the "quality of the food" has not risen 25%. Nor has the service.

You may be willing to pay that unwarranted increase, but I am guessing a lot of folks are not. But just as sure as I am of that, I am sure that there will be enough people like yourself who will not be bothered by it and continue to cruise on NCL.

And that's OK.

Archived