Balcony on Princess or Inside on Oceania for the same cost

burm

We have booked two cruises for the same time period in 2011 - one is a balcony on the Star Princess, the other is an inside on the Oceania Regatta. Both itineraries are appealing to us and we have made a decision but I am wondering which you other CC'ers would choose if all else were equal as to itinerary, cost, etc. Would you prefer to have a balcony on Princess or an inside cabin on Oceania for the same price?

We have never had an inside cabin before. As you can see by my cruise ticker we will also be sailing on the Regatta in 2010 but we will have a balcony on that occasion.

That would depend on the itinerary.We usually get a balcony but have cruised inside before.

I'm not familar with the Star Princess, how big is it? That to me is the biggest draw to Oceania. A full ship is not crowded at all, a big Princess ship on the other hand, good luck.

I've only sailed Princess once. I'd give the edge to O on the food, but not by much. It also depends on how important activities and shows are to you. Princess would get the edge there. Are there any teens or children traveling with you? Princess would probably be your better bet there.

You also would need to factor in the included sodas and bottled water on O that will be available then.

To get the best answer more information is needed.

That would depend on the itinerary.We usually get a balcony but have cruised inside before.

I'm not familar with the Star Princess, how big is it? That to me is the biggest draw to Oceania. A full ship is not crowded at all, a big Princess ship on the other hand, good luck.

I've only sailed Princess once. I'd give the edge to O on the food, but not by much. It also depends on how important activities and shows are to you. Princess would get the edge there. Are there any teens or children traveling with you? Princess would probably be your better bet there.

You also would need to factor in the included sodas and bottled water on O that will be available then.

To get the best answer more information is needed.

The Star Princess carries 2700 passengers. Entertainment is not a major issue for us and we will not be travelling with children. Good food is very important to me.

But my question is really which YOU would choose if the cost and the itinerary were exactly the same and why. I am wondering how many people would prefer the Oceania experience in an inside over the pleasures of a balcony on a (larger) Princess ship.

There is little question that Oceania is a cut above Princess in almost all respects. That said, it still is a very personal choice.

I would go with Princess in this scenario only, as I tend to be claustrophobic in an inside cabin; the fact that I am platinum with Princess (free internet) doesn't hurt either.

You may not have the same objections to an inside cabin; in that case I would take Oceania as a better overall cruising experience (no formal nights either).

How is this for no help?

The Star Princess carries 2700 passengers. Entertainment is not a major issue for us and we will not be travelling with children. Good food is very important to me.

But my question is really which YOU would choose if the cost and the itinerary were exactly the same and why. I am wondering how many people would prefer the Oceania experience in an inside over the pleasures of a balcony on a (larger) Princess ship.

No contest

I would do Oceania in any cabin...but that is just me

We dislike the larger ships etc....;)

I'd pick an inside on Oceania over a balcony on Princess--and it would be an easy decision.

I find the food on Oceania far superior to Princess, and I like the all open seating dining. I much prefer the samller ships. I don't care for large production number shows, so don't miss them. I like that someone from the local Tourist Office boards at each port. I like the "country club casual" dress code without formal nights. I like that there are very few children on board.

If it is a port intensive cruise - the inside room should not be a big concern. But if there are a lot of sea days or 'been there done that' ports I would go for the balcony.

The cruise is port intensive. However, in our case, we really enjoy watching arrivals and departures from the comfort of our own balcony and would actually mind the inside cabin less on sea days.

We once booked an inside cabin, and will not do that again, ever, on any ship, for any price.

Having said that, it's also very unlikely we will ever sail on Princess. The ships are too big. Like one of most cruise directors favorite jokes, the elevator does not go to the front of the ship, and one end is a long way away from the other. There are too many people. Just leaving the theater would be too much like rush hour in a big city. We don't like the formal nights. For us, the smoking policy on Princess is a deal breaker -- smoking is permitted in the staterooms (and they could never get the odor out good enough for Betsy), on the balconies, sure to be on the balcony upwind of us.

We tried the mass market experience this past august on Celebrity (which many people rate at least equal with Princess) and were disappointed in the food -- the quality was good, the presentation was excellent, the choices were fine, but, because of the vast numbers of diners, it was never hot whenit was supposed to be hot.

We don't think the entertainment on a bif ship is any better. We don't like large, glitzy production shows, we much prefer cabaret style entertainment, and we think the theaters on the big ships are too big to suit that. Other than the production shows, the big ships have the same solo singers, magicians, comedians, etc. as the smaller ships, and we prefer the intimacy of the smaller showrooms on Oceania.

So, given a choice between any cabin, even a suite, on Princess, and an inside on Oceania, I guess we just wouldn't go. We would find the resources somewhere to move up to at least a porthole on Oceania so we could tell if it was day or night outside without turning the TV to the bow camera.

And, even in the inside cabin, on Oceania we would at least have a small sofa on which to relax -- the balcony cabins on Star Princess appear to have just one soft and one hard chair.

We tried the mass market experience this past august on Celebrity (which many people rate at least equal with Princess) and were disappointed in the food -- the quality was good, the presentation was excellent, the choices were fine, but, because of the vast numbers of diners, it was never hot whenit was supposed to be hot.
When we were on the Celebrity Century (12 days British Isles) in May last year, we deliberately ate buffet dinners on deck 11 at the stern. There we could pick the ingredients we wanted and have them cook the pasta or stir fry right in front of us as we stood and waited. So we did not have to wait for course by course, and could sit away farther from other passengers.

On Oceania Nautica (12 days Eastern Mediterranean) in October last year, we had one dinner each at Toscana and Polo Grill (as allowed for B grade white cards), and we ate dinner at the main restaurant only when we saw caviar on the menu (a couple of times), and the remaining eight dinners at Tappas (Terrace). It was much easier, much more convenient that way .. meow!

The cruise is port intensive. However, in our case, we really enjoy watching arrivals and departures from the comfort of our own balcony and would actually mind the inside cabin less on sea days.

I guess you answered your own question then. ;)

If still in doubt write down the pro's & Con's for each cruise then decide

Lyn

I guess you answered your own question then. ;)

If still in doubt write down the pro's & Con's for each cruise then decide.

Lyn

I have already decided. Just wondering which others would choose. :D

DH absolutely hates the idea of being without a balcony. I have persuaded him to try it once. It would be nice to cruise twice as often and take advantage of some of the bargains if we can tolerate an inside.

I have to admit that I too hate the idea of being deprived of a balcony, but hopefully this will just be one cruise of many, many more. If we can live without, it will open new doors to us. And what better place to try this out than Oceania?

This coming March we will sail with Oceania for the first time but have already cruised with Princess on more than one occasion. By the time we step off the ship in March we will know for sure if we would choose Oceania food over Princess balcony. Until final payment I will keep my options open.

I, personally, wouldn't do either - I would see if I could somehow pay for an oceanview cabin on Oceania. I will never do an inside cabin again (tried it once) and I don't care for the smoking policy on Princess, nor 2698 other passengers. But to answer your question in theory, Oceania.

I have already decided. Just wondering which others would choose. :D

DH absolutely hates the idea of being without a balcony. I have persuaded him to try it once. It would be nice to cruise twice as often and take advantage of some of the bargains if we can tolerate an inside.

Funny we have had a balcony on 3 cruises & hardly used it

We usually end up on deck with others we have met or just on our own

We usually go for the C1's on deck 4 I like to see some outside light;)

I guess that is why they give you options:D

Enjoy the cruise

I, personally, wouldn't do either - I would see if I could somehow pay for an oceanview cabin on Oceania. I will never do an inside cabin again (tried it once) and I don't care for the smoking policy on Princess, nor 2698 other passengers. But to answer your question in theory, Oceania.

An oceanview is $800 more - and that would be obstructed. I would rather pay $3700 more for a balcony than $800 for a window I can't even open.

I suspect that like you we will only be trying this experiment once. I would probably prefer to cruise once with a balcony than twice without. I love to step onto the balcony in the middle of the night and feel that the ocean belongs to me. I love stepping out in the morning in my nightgown to watch the sunrise, then going back to bed. I love turning off the ac and sleeping with the door open. I love sipping a glass of wine (one that I carried on board) and watching the land disappear from sight. I love being able to enjoy sitting out while I wait for DH to get out of the shower!

Yup, I think this will be our one and only inside, but I am willing to try anything once.

Our first two cruises (more years ago than I like to remember) we had inside cabins. DH will never do that again. Whether we have ocean view cabins or ones with a balcony partially depends on the itinerary. When we sailed to Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, etc. or when we were in the North Pacific, we felt that a balcony would be a waste of money as opposed to the South Pacific, the Med or the Caribbean.

burm: Is your icon a cat?

Yes, that is my grandson, Da Beeb :D He is a real character, a little terror. Humans love him, other cats hate and fear him. :p When he lived with us there was always trouble with the other cats.

DD has a ledge overlooking a two storey drop in her house. That is Beeb's territory. When guests come DD will warn them not to place anything on the ledge. Over the years he has slapped down many many cellphones, GPS's, drinks, wallets, whatever. Always within seconds of being placed there. :D

DSIL has also learned the hard way (literally) not to leave a glass on the bookcase headboard overnight. On at least one occasion he has been awakened by a full and heavy glass of milk being dumped on his head.

I'd pick an inside on Oceania over a balcony on Princess--and it would be an easy decision.

I find the food on Oceania far superior to Princess, and I like the all open seating dining. I much prefer the samller ships. I don't care for large production number shows, so don't miss them. I like that someone from the local Tourist Office boards at each port. I like the "country club casual" dress code without formal nights. I like that there are very few children on board.

You have got it right on the money!

Archived