Don't sweat the small stuff

byucougs

One of the things my tablemates and I have discussed is about complainers. They have heard people on our cruise complaining about the smallest details. One such is a lady yelling at a Lido attendanty for not have the exact type of milk she wanted for her coffee. She went on and on and really was embarassing herself. The tablemates were astonished at her attitude. Another time they found a list of 15-20 items ofr complaints against the ship. They threw the list away - lol.

Question is - Why do people go out of their way to look for things to bug them? As has been said "Don't sweat the small stuff"

Cheers! Enjoying the Eurodam, cancellations, winds and waves and all- I'm not cooking or cleaning- life is good :)

One of the things my tablemates and I have discussed is about complainers. They have heard people on our cruise complaining about the smallest details. One such is a lady yelling at a Lido attendanty for not have the exact type of milk she wanted for her coffee. She went on and on and really was embarassing herself. The tablemates were astonished at her attitude. Another time they found a list of 15-20 items ofr complaints against the ship. They threw the list away - lol.

Question is - Why do people go out of their way to look for things to bug them? As has been said "Don't sweat the small stuff"

I think it is because they just have to have something to bellyache about no matter what it is!!

Cheers! Enjoying the Eurodam, cancellations, winds and waves and all- I'm not cooking or cleaning- life is good :)

I absolutely love your attitude!!!

Keep up the awesome attitude!!!

Joanie

We heard lots of complaints on our cruise a couple weeks ago.

One guy was complaining to the waitstaff in the Tamarind that the menu wasn't "Authentic Asian" food. Umm....It's billed as an Asian inspired menu.

Polar_Bear_Mom and Colakid head some folks complaining that a 7 day cruise was just TOO LONG!

Someone we shared a table with at lunch was upset that their dish had avacado (it was right there on the menu which they obviously didn't read).

But I have to say there were many more happy people than complainers.

We just tended to laugh at the complainers and also kind of feel sorry for their "glass half empty" attitude. We took any glitches in stride and just went on having a good time.

BTW byucougs, if you see Rudy the bartender in the Crow's Nest, tell him the crazies from the Oasis on 10/30 said Hello!

What more could there be about this situation not to like. You are on a Dam Ship. Your meals are cooked for you. Your room is made for you. You are waited on hand and foot. The pressures of everyday life are lifted off your shoulders unless you continue looking @ your email or blackberry. Nobody is telling you what do other than your dining room steward to make up your mind about what fine dining to consume or the gentle reminder in the dailies when the next meal is scheduled or located. Yes Polar Bear Mom and I did hear some strange things on a recent cruise. This was our 10th cruise with HAL. We thought we had heard everything. I guess you are never too old to learn or hear something. Colakid.

I just don't understand the complaining :rolleyes: Being on a cruise is awesome unless my life is in danger than I'm good. I lost my Dad, 9 months later my Brother died and 8 months later my Mom died. I am not promised tomorrow so I'm going to live life & enjoy today! :D Don't sweat the small stuff and certainly get over yourself, if you don't have everything your way. Enjoy and let others enjoy.......just let it go ;)

Happy sailing to ALL

Polar_Bear_Mom and Colakid head some folks complaining that a 7 day cruise was just TOO LONG!

That one really gets to me! I have a friend who REFUSES to take anything more than a 5-day cruise. Meanwhile, I'm getting to the point where a 7-day doesn't seem long enough. THAT is *my* complaint! :D

Too long? Maybe over 60 days.:confused:

I toured Europe with some school friends many years ago. We said "We're going to have a good time and meet some nice people'. Guess what---we did. We tried to learn please and thank you in the language of the country we were in, and already knew how to smile. A simple attempt at the local language and a smile goes a long way.

A frown, bad tone of voice and demands will get you classified as an "Ugly American". I try to avoid them, on board and touring.

I just don't understand the complaining :rolleyes: Being on a cruise is awesome unless my life is in danger than I'm good. I lost my Dad, 9 months later my Brother died and 8 months later my Mom died. I am not promised tomorrow so I'm going to live life & enjoy today! :D Don't sweat the small stuff and certainly get over yourself, if you don't have everything your way. Enjoy and let others enjoy.......just let it go ;)

Happy sailing to ALL

Well said Beebob. I'm so sorry for your losses.

One guy was complaining to the waitstaff in the Tamarind that the menu wasn't "Authentic Asian" food. Umm....It's billed as an Asian inspired menu.

Someone we shared a table with at lunch was upset that their dish had avacado (it was right there on the menu which they obviously didn't read).

But I have to say there were many more happy people than complainers.

We just tended to laugh at the complainers and also kind of feel sorry for their "glass half empty" attitude. We took any glitches in stride and just went on having a good time.

BTW byucougs, if you see Rudy the bartender in the Crow's Nest, tell him the crazies from the Oasis on 10/30 said Hello!

My fantasy is to be on a ship long enough that I'd get tired of it...just let me try!!! I'll go on the World Cruise and let you all know what day I got sick of it - LOL!

On one of my "Live From the xxx" threads, I talked about "Send-Back Sarah," (not her real name) who sent back something from every single meal she ate with us, including coffee that got cold in the Lido between meals. She came in sick for supper, ordered, then sent it back saying she was too sick to eat. Another time she ordered, said she could not eat the sauce, which the waiter pointed out the menu said it could be ordered without the sauce.

Going into Martha's Vineyard, the seas were much too rough to tender. One guy, who wanted to go ashore, was ticked off that we would miss the port and said, "This is totally inappropriate." I wanted to say, "Having your butt at the bottom of the harbor would, I suppose, be appropriate?" But I didn't.

...and on and on.

I handle it by smiling and, in the privacy of my mind, saying, "What a jerk you are, you a-h; go up to the Sky Deck and turn right."

I was on the Westerdam last week. The number of people complaining was unbelievable! I actually had a woman complain to me that the staff was unfriendly. Now, you can say A LOT of things about HAL, but this one is just not true - unless you're being a gigantic pain in the a$$! Even then, you really have to wonder. This same woman complained that the captain had purposely made the ship bounce on Monday! She said, "There were no whitecaps. There was no reason for that movement!" Really? My husband and I joked the Westerdam had been turned into a 'lowrider' and the captain was just having fun. She didn't get it! This complainer promised she was on her way back to Carnival. Okey dokey then.

This was just one example. There were so many people who seemed so genuinely unhappy. Oh well. I had a wonderful cruise with my best friend (my husband) and I met some incredible people. Mike and I joked we actually should have probably ate with the crew - they were REALLY nice!

Polar_Bear_Mom and Colakid head some folks complaining that a 7 day cruise was just TOO LONG!quote]

I heard someone complain that there was "too much water"!!!! Really, they did.

Susan

and please spare a thought for the crew that have to listen to these whiners and complainers and have no choice but to be polite while being screamed and shouted at for petty and often non-consequential things that are beyond their control.

Too much water?? Holy moley, I just about spit my drink out at that one.

Some of the reviews I have read on this site absolutely amaze me. Don't post a review of THE SHIP and then complain about parts of your vacation that had nothing to do with the ship. Seriously, is this the hill you want to die on? Probably not.

My fantasy is to be on a ship long enough that I'd get tired of it...just let me try!!! I'll go on the World Cruise and let you all know what day I got sick of it - LOL!

That's my philosophy too. We try to find cruises we can afford that are more than 10 days, preferably 14 or more. I'd like to be able to afford a cruise of at least a month, just to see if that would be too long. I doubt it!

Some of the people who complain a lot probably wouldn't be happy if they had the ship to themselves, could order whatever they wanted in the dining room even if it's not on the menu, and had a crew member to follow them around all day catering to their every whim. And please put a big bubble over the ship so the weather will be perfect 24 hours a day. You wouldn't want that ship to "bounce".

We missed out on a flight seeing excursion in Alaska because of heavy fog. Were we disapointed? Of course. Did it ruin our cruise? NO. Did we run around all day griping about it? NO. We knew that in Alaska you plan on rain, fog, and chilly days and if you get anything else you put a big gold star on the day.

After spending time in a retirement community, I realized that some people are not happy unless they complain. One person was complaining because the trees dropped their leaves on his property (and he was serious). Some people just complain to draw attention to themselves and some complain because they think that they are better than everyone else. We have had some things not go perfectly on several cruise, but not enough to complain about. If things were always perfect, what a boring world we would be living in.

Some of the people who complain a lot probably wouldn't be happy if they had the ship to themselves, could order whatever they wanted in the dining room even if it's not on the menu, and had a crew member to follow them around all day catering to their every whim. And please put a big bubble over the ship so the weather will be perfect 24 hours a day. You wouldn't want that ship to "bounce".

We missed out on a flight seeing excursion in Alaska because of heavy fog. Were we disapointed? Of course. Did it ruin our cruise? NO. Did we run around all day griping about it? NO. We knew that in Alaska you plan on rain, fog, and chilly days and if you get anything else you put a big gold star on the day.

You can put a big gold star on your forehead! Remember that from when you were a little kid? Never mind.:)

Archived