Sneak Booze ?

gigman

NCL and RCI are bad about enforcing the alcohol policy. Carnival has a similar policy but rarely enforces it.

The rumrunners are great, I have several. They always made it through, no matter what cruise line.

My opinion is that if the cruise lines need more revenue, they should get that by raising fares and not by using rules to make people pay more than they should for alcohol. That way everyone would pay their fair share and the drinkers would not be subsidizing the cruise for the non-drinkers!

I am about to order my runner, did I once apon a time see somewhere for a coupon?:D

Google rum runner coupon code and you will find it..I "think" if you put "repeat" in as a coupon code you get free shipping

Edit...I guss I should have read the rest of the thread before replying! LOL

Anyone had any luck bringing licquor aboard the Radiance at embarkation. Have had no trouble doing so on Princess, but I have heard RCCL will not only confiscate it if they find it, but also not return it at the end of the cruise !

We are traveling for TWO WEEKS on Explorer of the Seas for Christmas and New years from NJ, and don't want to double the ticket price for the cruise with a huge bar bill. I have been on 15 cruises over my life time and never heard of these horror stories of ship greediness. Last time we sailed on Royal Caribbean was in 1989 for our honeymoon. Been on Holland America mostly since then w/o such a fear of being caught. Anybody had any experience with this our ship (Explorer of the Seas) or embarkation location as to thoroughness and penalty? Anybody get caught using Boxed Wine? We are also traveling with 4 kids 2 16 and 2 over 18 but under 21. We were hoping the 18yr olds could imbibe a little but there is no waiver for this cruise.

This is a great thread and all of the contributors are very helpful. Thanks so much for any input and thanks for being so on the ball.

Peter

We are traveling for TWO WEEKS on Explorer of the Seas for Christmas and New years from NJ, and don't want to double the ticket price for the cruise with a huge bar bill. I have been on 15 cruises over my life time and never heard of these horror stories of ship greediness. Last time we sailed on Royal Caribbean was in 1989 for our honeymoon. Been on Holland America mostly since then w/o such a fear of being caught. Anybody had any experience with this our ship (Explorer of the Seas) or embarkation location as to thoroughness and penalty? Anybody get caught using Boxed Wine? We are also traveling with 4 kids 2 16 and 2 over 18 but under 21. We were hoping the 18yr olds could imbibe a little but there is no waiver for this cruise.

This is a great thread and all of the contributors are very helpful. Thanks so much for any input and thanks for being so on the ball.

Peter

You're correct that there's no waiver for Caribbean cruises.

I've heard quite a few stories about people boarding with boxed wine (minus the box, of course...although you could break it down, pack it and then rebuild it in your cabin) with no problem. It's pretty much the same thing as the rum runner.

Google rum runner coupon code and you will find it..I "think" if you put "repeat" in as a coupon code you get free shipping

Edit...I guss I should have read the rest of the thread before replying! LOL

FYI, "repeat" is good coupon code. We placed our order and hope to have a great Christmas and New Years Cruise . Thanks all.

Any help on this ship w/bringing in alcohol? bring a Tote and a carryon only

Ty

Never in a carry-on or tote, they'll get you 9 out of 10 times. Rumrunners are the best method but you have a shot with it in your checked luggage. Royal Caribbean and NCL are the hardest. Carnival and their lines will let you bring on a bottle or two of wine for in-cabin consumption or paying a corkage for the dinning room. NCL will let you pay a corkage for a couple of bottles.

I got a box on NCL one time by putting it in a different size box, wrapping it in foil wrapping paper and putting a bow on top with a Birthday card.

If you buy some ashore, when you are directed to the table to give it up, just give them one bottle since a lot of times the right hand doesn't know what the left hand saw.

Tucker in Texas

Never in a carry-on or tote, they'll get you 9 out of 10 times. Rumrunners are the best method but you have a shot with it in your checked luggage. Royal Caribbean and NCL are the hardest. Carnival and their lines will let you bring on a bottle or two of wine for in-cabin consumption or paying a corkage for the dinning room. NCL will let you pay a corkage for a couple of bottles.

I got a box on NCL one time by putting it in a different size box, wrapping it in foil wrapping paper and putting a bow on top with a Birthday card.

If you buy some ashore, when you are directed to the table to give it up, just give them one bottle since a lot of times the right hand doesn't know what the left hand saw.

Tucker in Texas

How about the little travel (airline size) bottles of booze??? If you throw some in your packed bag will you get caught???? Also, when boarding do you think you could smuggle a couple little bottles in your pockets???

Tucker in Texas

So no to rum rummers when we get to puerto rico fill up and then on to boat? I so love Holland America could bring on what ever I wanted :o

Has anyone ever got caught using rum runners?

Has anyone ever been denied boarding for trying to smuggle alcohol on? I know they reserve the right to deny you. Just wondering if anyone actually has.

One time, the only time, we tried RR's -- we were caught but all worked out ok in the long run. We sailed from close to home, so packed our own wine, RR's with vodka and light cranberry juice. The cranberry juice (two large bottles) and boxed wine (premium brands) went through without a hitch. This is the kicker, the suitcase with the 2 RR's were the only bag that was tagged....

There was this yellow tape (like police tape) with the word 'Liquor' printed on it --- wrapped around the entire bag several times. I called it the liquor sticker for the entire cruise. Wasn't even easy to get off ... but funny thing is, they delivered it to our room with the tape and never heard boo about it from that point on...so were able to keep it. I think they were trying to not alienate those pax that still chose to cruise during this horrible economy.

At several of the ports, though, they were opening the bottles and smelling them....turning them upsidedown....maybe liquor leaves different fingers than water...not sure. They were making extra efforts at those ports of call.

Well, moral of the story...could have mixed our juice with liquor and nobody would have been the wiser...although the only liquid identified was that which was in the RR's. Haven't heard this to be true before....but that was our experience.

Would they deny your boarding...hmmm...haven't heard that before but suppose it could happen if you had enough to be really agregious (sp?). Why, though, do you think they would deny boarding to a paying pax when they could probably make more if they allowed you onboard. I don't think they want to start pushing away paying pax. I don't know, though...stranger things have happened.

How about the little travel (airline size) bottles of booze??? If you throw some in your packed bag will you get caught???? Also, when boarding do you think you could smuggle a couple little bottles in your pockets???

I've brought little bottles many times in my pockets or in my purse with no trouble. I had to go to the trouble of bringing them home again since I never used them. :o I never got around to it.

Gina

They've caught the miniatures even in suitcases but that was during a Spring Break cruise where they were really, really, really checking. I heard they even pulled some out of "feminine" product boxes.

When we were in some port in Spain, they were giving away little bottles that had some local something in it as people disembarked. I got off the ship after others and only carried my S&S pass because all I wanted to do was ask at the information booth where an internet cafe was but wasn't ready to go yet because it was raining. So I stuffed mine in my pocket having nowhere else to put it and walked right through the scanner. Others coming back from shore and putting their totes, purses, etc. had theirs taken up when they went through the scanner. Now that is pitiful!

I've put my "facial location" in my pocket when boarding and it has done fine since it is in a plastic bottle. They have "frisked" some people I've heard but I've never seen it. I'm female so that might help the cause. I'll have a rum runner in my pocket so I can have some attitude adjustment when I unpack.

Tucker in Texas

we are just off 11/7 Radiance , and we are not big drinkers but i paked a 4 pack of the small champagne bottles and put two in my and two in DH suitcase,and they were both caught and we had to retrieve in the naughty room, when the gaurd asked us to show him the alcohol that we had in the ship and i pulled out that small 1 glass size bottle of champagne, he actually said, "thats what they stopped these for?" i said yes, he chuckled and said just keep em.. we got lucky and that was very nice of him.

we are just off 11/7 Radiance , and we are not big drinkers but i paked a 4 pack of the small champagne bottles and put two in my and two in DH suitcase,and they were both caught and we had to retrieve in the naughty room, when the gaurd asked us to show him the alcohol that we had in the ship and i pulled out that small 1 glass size bottle of champagne, he actually said, "thats what they stopped these for?" i said yes, he chuckled and said just keep em.. we got lucky and that was very nice of him.

That's what happened to us on Radiance with our small, half empty bottle of rum that I had bought for us to drink at the hotel the night before. "That's it? You can keep it."

Gina

Archived