Could this really be true?

tally10

We were on the Independence of the Seas spring transatlantic this past April. The seas were calm and the weather was beautiful. We are on her again in one week and had a different captain then who is her captain now. This is part of a review by "Barbara" :

"That night the ship went across to the Bay of Biscay and didn't we know it it was a force 9 and it was horrendous, we all had read reviews and understood that the stabilisers would protect us from this awful feeling. Most passengers did not make the dinner that night but instead went to their beds. Imagine another 3 days like this with everyone really ill and hardly able to stand. We couldn't understand why when the weather improved the rolling motion didn't. It was until we reached Grand Canaria and the rocking and rolling was still happening that some of the staff told us that the captain had not engaged the stabilisers as they cost money and he was on a bonus to save it. We all tried to complain, but you try to complain on a RC ship the Customer Relations were smug, patronising and generally rude, however we must have got somwhere as 4 that morning suddenly the ship was calm, the stablisers had been turned on. Bliss."

Could this captain be so insensitive that he would put a bonus before the comfort and well being of his passengers and crew? The weather and sea conditions over there have been pretty awful lately.

We were on the Independence of the Seas spring transatlantic this past April. The seas were calm and the weather was beautiful. We are on her again in one week and had a different captain then who is her captain now. This is part of a review by "Barbara" :

"That night the ship went across to the Bay of Biscay and didn't we know it it was a force 9 and it was horrendous, we all had read reviews and understood that the stabilisers would protect us from this awful feeling. Most passengers did not make the dinner that night but instead went to their beds. Imagine another 3 days like this with everyone really ill and hardly able to stand. We couldn't understand why when the weather improved the rolling motion didn't. It was until we reached Grand Canaria and the rocking and rolling was still happening that some of the staff told us that the captain had not engaged the stabilisers as they cost money and he was on a bonus to save it. We all tried to complain, but you try to complain on a RC ship the Customer Relations were smug, patronising and generally rude, however we must have got somwhere as 4 that morning suddenly the ship was calm, the stablisers had been turned on. Bliss."

Could this captain be so insensitive that he would put a bonus before the comfort and well being of his passengers and crew? The weather and sea conditions over there have been pretty awful lately.

It could be true, Captains do get a bonus for saving fuel, BUT stabalizers only help stop the ship from swaying side to side, and in a force nine gale they are not going to do much, they also dont stop the forward to back rolling as the ship plows through the waves

I am probably the odd gal out, but I prefer a little rocking and rolling while at sea. :D I feel like I am really on the ocean and the sleeping is wonderful! As long as you have your sea sick meds, the movement shouldn't be a problem. When we were on the Liberty, the ship felt like it was sitting on land. Never felt any movement. :(

Now, having said the above, my DH does not like the rough sailing. :rolleyes:

While I don't suffer motion sickness, I don't like rough seas, either...it just makes it more difficult to do anything...stairs are dangerous, especially when you're all dressed up for dinner! Putting on makeup can put an eye out, if you don't have a stabile hand!

I can tell I'm at sea when I see the ship moving through the water...I don't need to "feel" it!

That's interesting. Here's another review of last Novemver's crossing. No mention of any bad weather at all, just that it was great crossing the Atlantic.

we had cruised many times but not transatlantic so we thought why not do it on the largest ship in the world independence of the seas . When we arrived at southhampton we where not disappointed there she was the most beautiful looking ship you could wish for. Boarding could not have been easier all the crew were very helpful as you can immagin it was not easy finding your way round at first . When we got to our cabin it was very roomy and bright but it was shame our bags took six hours to reach our cabin . When we went to explore the ship it was fantastic you would think you were in a street instead of ship . The weather was great as we crossed the atlantic and the crew great. Now for the bad bits. We found that it was hard to get to know your fellow passingers because of the size of the ship and the amount of people on board. We found the drinks very expensive even though we had paid for the wine and soft drinks package. The food in the daytime was very good but we found a lot of this was on our dinner menue as well which was very dissapointing as in our past cruising the food had always been a talking point . One more thing i would not prepay tips as we felt not all the right crew got a share. Having said all this the ship is fantastic and we had a great time.

The stabilizers are not so powerful that the ship would go from rocking so badly that people were missing to dinner to feeling totally calm with the flick of a switch. Most likely around 4am you the wind died down and/or the waves mellowed out.

The stabilizers are not so powerful that the ship would go from rocking so badly that people were missing to dinner to feeling totally calm with the flick of a switch. Most likely around 4am you the wind died down and/or the waves mellowed out.
I would think the waves mellowed out, waves generally continue for some time after the winds die down. Reading the comment I don't think barbara understood that either.

When we crossed on her last April, we had Capt. Teo, and he hurried us through the infamous Bay of Biscay. It was smooth sailing the whole cruise, but then the seas were calm. I don't think the motion bothered anyone as far as I know. They are having gales over there now and conditions were severe enough to halt the ferries from Southampton to France this past weekend. I would think that when sailing in very rough conditions, the captain would do all he could to make it as pleasant as possible. Not using the stabilizers because he wants to make bonus is pretty sad to me. Since we are crossing the pond again in one week, I do have concerns (if this is true). What do you think?

There are situations where stabilizers will not be used in rough seas. Don't forget the stabilizer damage from heavy seas that was experienced on the Navigator last year. The stabilizers are designed to minimize side to side motion in rolling seas, but they can only do so much in heavy seas. I cannot imagine any cruise line captain doing anything to endanger passenger safety or comfort in serious weather conditions, such as those you experienced. The captains cannot control the weather, but they can and should alter ship speed and direction, turning into the seas and wind, in order to ride out the storm in the safest manner possible.

I am sorry you experienced such a rough trip, but I am happy you returned safely and with an exciting experience to share.

Eric

To imagine that the Captain of a vessel would purposely turn off the stabilizers to save money is one of the silliest things I've read on CC in a long time.

Stabilizers are used NOT to keep the ship from rocking and rolling - but to help stabilize the movements somewhat for a more comfortable ride. They work very well under normal conditions.

Under Force 9 (or even lower), NOTHING is going to help except the expertise and experience of the Captain and bridge officers. They alone will handle the ship.

The Captains announcement of upcoming rougher seas was a normal thing to do.....and it happens in any type of rough seas. Just like the Captain in the cockpit of an plane who turns on the seatbelt sign and makes an announcement of upcoming turbulence, the ships Captain was doing his duty.

Honestly, I truly believe that there are people who really don't understand that they have moved into a foreign environment on a ship. No one has control over the oceans of the world. It is what it is. The best that can be done in bad weather is to recognize that the Bridge has plenty of experience.....and each passenger should do as instructed...without looking for conspiracy theories or nefarious deeds.

I just don't get it!! We have just come off Indie and she travelled brilliantly in a Force 11 storm and was hit by a freak 125' wave. According to Bridge staff, it was the worst weather the ship has experienced.

No shows were cancelled. It was not difficult to walk around - we were not hanging on to the rails as one does on smaller ships.

We didn't use the stabilisers as she was heading into the waves and it was prow down, bum up.:D In other words, not side to side movement and the fins don't work in these circumstances.

If people think they will suffer from seasickness, they should start taking the meds a couple of days before they leave. Or go straight to Guest Relations and pick up some meclazine (ingredient of Bonine etc.) and take it as soon as possible. We don't get sick, but if its going to be rough, we take the meds before we go to bed and it helps us sleep.

Joyce - stop worrying!! By the time you sail, the weather will have changed four times:p:p The Captain is Capt. Bang's brother-in-law - also very experienced. He brought us through fine and will do the same for you, no doubt.

Worry more about whether the technician flown in from Germany to fix the coffee machine in the Diamond Lounge, was successful.:D

It surprises me how many people get on a cruise ship and don't take their preferred med of choice for sea sickness. I always take a half dose of bonine before I even get on the ship, and another at bed the first night. Then half doses anytime I'm not happy with the ship's motion.

I have walked through the 'Jammer on tippy toes sometimes to keep my tray steady as the ship goes up on a wave.

We just got off the Rhapsody, and she had some rough seas going out of Honolulu on 10/1. Lots of people in bed for a day or two, and the ones that I talked to hadn't taken their meds soon enough.

BEFORE you get on the ship, folks!!

I just don't get it!! We have just come off Indie and she travelled brilliantly in a Force 11 storm and was hit by a freak 125' wave. According to Bridge staff, it was the worst weather the ship has experienced.

No shows were cancelled. It was not difficult to walk around - we were not hanging on to the rails as one does on smaller ships.

We didn't use the stabilisers as she was heading into the waves and it was prow down, bum up.:D In other words, not side to side movement and the fins don't work in these circumstances.

If people think they will suffer from seasickness, they should start taking the meds a couple of days before they leave. Or go straight to Guest Relations and pick up some meclazine (ingredient of Bonine etc.) and take it as soon as possible. We don't get sick, but if its going to be rough, we take the meds before we go to bed and it helps us sleep.

Joyce - stop worrying!! By the time you sail, the weather will have changed four times:p:p The Captain is Capt. Bang's brother-in-law - also very experienced. He brought us through fine and will do the same for you, no doubt.

Worry more about whether the technician flown in from Germany to fix the coffee machine in the Diamond Lounge, was successful.:D

Thanks, BMT, you made my day!! I know your experience was much different from the OP's. I had not heard anything about this captain except that he was "cold." I have heard of the famous Capt. Bang and how everyone really likes him-wish he was on this one or Capt. Teo who we had before. I do fine with the up and down. It is the side to side movement that does me in, even with the "patch." I just could not imagine that a captain would put his bonus first and the passengers' comfort second. Let's hope that the seas calm down before monday and the rain and wind calm as well.

Hopefully, that technician will have fixed the coffee machine or DH will be truly disappointed:eek:.

And yes, we take our meds before the cruise-DH Bonine/Meclizine and the stronger "patch" for me.

Thanks, BMT, you made my day!! I know your experience was much different from the OP's. I had not heard anything about this captain except that he was "cold." I have heard of the famous Capt. Bang and how everyone really likes him-wish he was on this one or Capt. Teo who we had before. I do fine with the up and down. It is the side to side movement that does me in, even with the "patch." I just could not imagine that a captain would put his bonus first and the passengers' comfort second. Let's hope that the seas calm down before monday and the rain and wind calm as well.

Hopefully, that technician will have fixed the coffee machine or DH will be truly disappointed:eek:.

And yes, we take our meds before the cruise-DH Bonine/Meclizine and the stronger "patch" for me.

Joyce, We will be hoping that you have a smooth a crossing as we did on the Crossing with you in April and the mill pond crossing we have just completed on the Ruby Princess:)

John & Margaret

Thanks John and Margaret,

Glad to hear you had a great crossing on the Ruby Princess and are now back home in FL. Though our Indy roll call is as large as the April Indy, we don't have Mary and Lorna and all of those activities. Looking forward to Sainsbury's though. Keep your fingers crossed for us in regards to the weather, waves, and wind.

Sounds like a load of crap to me.

I don't think that cruise ship captains try to make their pax ill, even if they would receive a financial reward for it.

If he were getting a bonus for not using stabilizers (which, ?!?!) why the hell would he tell anybody?! I would never put my staff in a position to question my integrity.

People say they get all kinds of info from crew. I don't understand why anyone would believe someone about a job they aren't responsible for. how would they know?

I've been on many cruises where stabilizers didn't seem to help much at all. It isn't so much the size of the waves and swells but the direction from which they hit the ship. I would speculate that if the stabilizers weren't being used it is because they wouldn't have made a difference anyway. Just because someone is a member of the crew does not mean they know any more than the passengers about the handling of the ship at sea. They make just as many unsubstantiated claims to information as the passengers. If you get the story from a bridge watch standing officer than maybe its accurate.

Sorry but I really did have to chuckle when I read this. Do you really think those poor folks at the customer service desk are going to pick up the phone and tell the captain that he had better deploy the stabilizers now? This is not how life aboard a ship works. And if "everyone" tried to complain, which on Indy amounts to over 3300 people, I am pretty sure the mood of the customer service reps probably was becoming a bit dismal.

Wouldn't that be a rogue wave and would we not have heard about it? I would think a 125' wave would wash over the top of the ship.

Probably made for a fun ride ;)

OK, I looked up the rogue wave that hit the NCL Dawn in 2005 and it was a 70 foot wave. I'm sure that the direction a wave hits a ship can make a difference, but still think a 125' wave would have made the news.

Archived