No interest in Oasis - am I alone on this???

tm5to1

It's just too big with too many people. Can't imagine what it's like to embark and disembark.:eek:

Well, those are things we will all learn in the next few months from the reviews.

But I just had the thought: When will the Allure be out, and where will she go??

On our most recent Carribean cruise alot of locals were talking about the Oasis, as she had just been unveiled.

Most of them were glad that she can't dock in their waterways.

I thought it odd that people from such poor countries wouldn't want all those pax to land and spend money.

Guess the locals aren't enamored with the thought of 6000 pax swarming into their villages/towns in one felled swoop, especially if there are other ships in port at the same time.:eek:

Our decision not to sail on Oasis has nothing to do with money. My wife and I have absolutely no desire to sail on anything that big, with that many people. Our last cruise was on Mariner a couple of summers ago, and that she was stretching our limits. We found it to be crowded in many areas and just not as relaxing as many of our previous cruises on smaller ships.

I am curious, I read on this thread and others, where people are concerned that the only reason for this ship is to 'nickle and dime' you to death. What exactly do you think is going to cost you that doesn't get chrged for on other ships?

The ship has 23 different places to eat and 15 of them have no extra charge so please don' tell me that everywhere you go food is going to cost you.

I am curious, I read on this thread and others, where people are concerned that the only reason for this ship is to 'nickle and dime' you to death. What exactly do you think is going to cost you that doesn't get chrged for on other ships?

The ship has 23 different places to eat and 15 of them have no extra charge so please don' tell me that everywhere you go food is going to cost you.

It's not. As you stated, there are more places to dine on this that carries no charge than the Freedom class ships but there are also more choices for the ones that do want something different. It all boils down to what a person wants to spend. The choice is yours.

0 interest here, too. And we are late 20's, early 30's, only cruised twice before. We live 20 minutes from NYC and my bf has to walk through Central Park 6 days a week, I had to do it 5 days a week - really no interest in seeing it on a ship! lol:p As well, I find laser light shows and water fountain shows BORING, so no interest there. If I want a merry go round I'll drive to the Jersey shore, but since I'm an adult with no kids....well, don't really need that either. By the same token, I can get candy apples, popcorn and cotton candy there too so don't really need a boardwalk theme. The zipline seems annoying to me - and I like ziplines. But I can just imagine trying to relax under that area and hearing people screaming all day long! Plus I'm sure the line will be huge - or there won't be any way to book onboard since they seem to be even be booking flow rider online. Seems to me all the other stuff is onboard the other ships - flowrider, ice skating, rock wall.

I will probably sail on it, when its the smallest ship in the fleet. ;)
That's going to take awhile...a few decades at the very least.

But in the meantime -as someone said above-

wait 2-3 yrs. until the hi prices wear off

and then cruise on Oasis.

Oasis_arrival.jpg

I'm sure it won't be half as "bad" as most people are thinking.. :cool:

My initial reaction is that nothing would make me want to pay those prices to be on a ship SO BIG where I find myself wishing I were on a cruise.

But I never say no. Looking forward to the first reviews after she sails.

I'm not the least bit interested in sailing on Oasis - way too big, too many people, and all the stuff that is being hyped just doesn't appeal to me on a cruise. It's just not what I think of as cruising. With the prices they are currently asking, compared to some recent mail I've received from a couple of luxury lines I think that sailing on a luxury cruise line would not be too much more expensive.

I'll never say never, but like someone else said, maybe I'll consider it when it is the smallest ship in the fleet.

1. They are all floating resorts.

2. You think you can go to a resort/park and eat as much as you want whenever you want plus all the entertainment for even remotely the same price?

I think you can.

I am currently pricing my next vacation after Serenade and I'm looking into AI resorts. I can eat all I want-anytime of the day. OK-shows may not be as good but entertaining and the math is telling me the AI way less. I think if someone is looking to be in one place, a resort-to date, they are much cheaper then Oasis. I am also not pricing out a rinky dink resort. My pricing is telling me-even befor my on board charges-it's way less. I can only estimate the OB charges and all I can say is Wow-Oasis would be a much more expensive vacation for my family of 4.:eek:

Hi Isabella, missed you and Victor on this year's Jewel repo.

I am sure many people agree with you and many of those reasons are why we prefer to sail on a Radiance class ship rather than her bigger sisters. However, most of the objections that have been raised were voiced years ago when the Sovereign of the Seas was introduced and again when each newer and larger class of ship was built. If ships like Oasis expand the number of people who want to cruise and if that increased business makes it possible for the line to make a profit and continue to sail a variety of ships that will appeal to various segments of the market, count me in favor. We will get our chance to sail on her for what will probably be far too short a period of time in less than two weeks and will withhold our final judgment on whether or not the ship appeals to us, until then. Bigger isn't necessarily better, but more important than size, IMHO, is how they make use of the extra space. So far we have felt far less crowded on even the biggest RCI ships, than we have on smaller ships on several other lines. :)

Hello Bill,

I was thinking of Jewel last month - I wish we were there. But we will be on the 2010 repo. Just can't miss 13 nights of "Jewel" delight.

I would love to hear your opinion about Oasis. Still, 5000 people scare me. Makes me feel like I am in the mall during the Christmas sale rush........ Wishing you and Rita fantastic cruise, Healthy and Happy holidays.

1. They are all floating resorts.

2. You think you can go to a resort/park and eat as much as you want whenever you want plus all the entertainment for even remotely the same price?

3. You are implying there are no outside balcony staterooms, you are incorrect

That is not what I was trying to say - going to the park has nothing to do with eat as much as you want.

I know that they have outside balcony. I was making a point about the one that facing inside with the price tag of the outside. It is like those " outside" Promenade rooms on Voyager class ships - nothing but noise insode those rooms....

I think you can.

I am currently pricing my next vacation after Serenade and I'm looking into AI resorts. I can eat all I want-anytime of the day. OK-shows may not be as good but entertaining and the math is telling me the AI way less. I think if someone is looking to be in one place, a resort-to date, they are much cheaper then Oasis. I am also not pricing out a rinky dink resort. My pricing is telling me-even befor my on board charges-it's way less. I can only estimate the OB charges and all I can say is Wow-Oasis would be a much more expensive vacation for my family of 4.:eek:

You are just kidding yourself....but I don't doubt someone frugal can come up with a cheaper vacation. Too me visiting the worlds largest ball of twine and watching grandma play the spoons for entertainment outside my tent really isn't in the same category as sailing Oasis. Speaking only for myself though. Have fun on your ai ei o vacation.

You are just kidding yourself....but I don't doubt someone frugal can come up with a cheaper vacation. Too me visiting the worlds largest ball of twine and watching grandma play the spoons for entertainment outside my tent really isn't in the same category as sailing Oasis. Speaking only for myself though. Have fun on your ai ei o vacation.

Well alrighty then

You have a nice day now.

:rolleyes:

Am I alone in that I have no desire to cruise on this ship? I’m sure it is beautiful, but it’s just so different from the aspects that draw me to cruising. If I want a park setting (especially one resembling Central Park) I’ll go to New York. If I want my CABIN to look like a studio apartment, I’ll book a hotel room. I want a CRUISE SHIP with a CRUISE SHIP atmosphere...OUT AT SEA. I definitely don’t want to feel like I’m in the city...

Is there anyone else that feels this way? I'm sure I'm not in the majority (at least RCI hopes I'm not) but there has to be SOMEONE out there who shares my feelings...

You're not alone!;)

Your comparing an All Inclusive resort to visiting the largest ball of twine? You must have never tried one or visited some dump. There are all inclusives that have nicer facilities than Oasis can ever dream about and kids clubs that offer things like tightrope walking, trappeeze, waterskiing etc... AND there cheaper than Oasis. To me waiting in line on a cruise and watching grandma play the spoons for entertainment outside my cabin isn't a great vacation. Speaking only for myself though. Have fun on your ei oa sis vacation.

If you want a merry go round you can get one for 3 tickets at the Jersey shore - you don't even have to pay to use the boardwalk! And Central Park is free, too! Even the muggings are free:p If you look at the base price for Oasis and actually calculate what you're going to spend on extra's (for fee venues, cupcakes, that kind of thing, excursions, water toys on islands) and you compare that to an AI in Mexico or somewhere (in some instances even alcohol is included) where your room, meals in all restaurants, water sports and entertainment are included I think you would come pretty darn close:)

We just came off the Emerald Princess this past Sunday in FLL, so we got a good look at the Oasis as we came in.......IT'S HUGE!!!

Looking at it facing the aft all the top floors jut way out past the hull so it makes it look very "top heavy" to me.

I hope it's a wonderful venture for RCI, but it's not something that we are going to be interested in

Well alrighty then

You have a nice day now.

:rolleyes:

Thanks and honestly you too. My point in a humorous way is to show that there just is no way a park or an all inclusive resort at "apples to apples price" can compare in cost basis. You have hundreds of menu items to choose from, you have broadway shows, ice shows, water park ampitheater shows, you are visiting different cultures/countries every other day for 7 DAYS. So what, Oasis right now is more expensive than other lines, you still get more and you can't compare it. As for the other remarks from certain posters.."oh I want to feel like I am on a ship".....sail on it in January/February and I guarantee you will get your fill of the motion of the ocean. Balconys are the same as any other ship, you will walk out your room and look into the ocean. Inside cabins will be the same, you will walk out your cabin and onto the outside promenade deck and see the blue ocean. I was on a carrier with 6000 sailors with ZERO elevators, never felt crowded, we only used 2 gangways to get off the ship and never had a problem. Oasis will use 4 from what I hear. What I really don't understand is why all the rage from people over a ship. How does its mere existence adversely effect you to the point you have to write negatively about it every single day. Maybe I am crazy but there must be a hidden agenda in there somewhere.

Sorry to disagree with you but Debde is right. I've taken AI vacations at some very nice resorts where the food was top-notch, the liquor was premium brand and where there wasn't a single knitting grandma in sight. The cost was substantially less than what I'd pay for an outside balcony cabin on the Oasis. I don't know where you're getting your facts but maybe you should check out a new TA. :rolleyes:

2P.P1

Sorry to disagree with you but Debde is right. I've taken AI vacations at some very nice resorts where the food was top-notch, the liquor was premium brand and where there wasn't a single knitting grandma in sight. The cost was substantially less than what I'd pay for an outside balcony cabin on the Oasis. I don't know where you're getting your facts but maybe you should check out a new TA. :rolleyes:

2P.P1

Twoputt you are correct. Talk about knitting grannies they should check out the fellow passengers on their next cruise.;) Take a gander on the Hawaiin cruise.

What I really don't understand is why all the rage from people over a ship. How does its mere existence adversely effect you to the point you have to write negatively about it every single day. Maybe I am crazy but there must be a hidden agenda in there somewhere.

What I dont understand is why YOU care that we don't like it. Our posting negatively and raising questions about it should have no effect on your enjoyment. Why do you think you have to come on this post and defend her? It isn't personal, we aren't judging you for wanting to go, why are you judging us? Oasis isn't for everyone, deal with it. Whats the hidden agenda with all the Oasis cheerleaders.

Archived