Could Oasis/Allure ever fit in Miami?

JBert

Something that I just thought about the other night.

Obviously, RCCL just built a brand new terminal in Port Everglades for Oasis and Allure, where they'll be held.

For those of you who have sailed out of POM, you know that ships have to travel down the channel, then do a 180 degree turn at the end, and then dock.

It seemed like a really tight fit for Freedom & Liberty. Could Oasis ever fit?:eek:

Some where, some how, some day, RCCL will have a photo shoot of both Oasis and Allure. Most likelly when Allure arrives in the US from Finland in 2010. That would be the most easilly to arrange and get the most interest from all the news outlets. Would love to be there for that shot!

Rick and Deirdra

I would imagine that Allure will have to do the same thing that Oasis did (have the plants installed etc). I'm sure there will be a good photo-op when that happens.

I am disapointed that there won't be any pictures of Independence and Oasis together. They are both sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale but Independence doesn't get here for another week and will miss Oasis by a day. I thought it'd be cool to see a picture of a Freedom class ship sitting next to Oasis so we can really get an appreciation for how HUGE Oasis is. I don't think Oasis is scheduled to call on any port while a Freedom class ship is in port.

Steve

I would imagine that Allure will have to do the same thing that Oasis did (have the plants installed etc). I'm sure there will be a good photo-op when that happens.

I am disapointed that there won't be any pictures of Independence and Oasis together. They are both sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale but Independence doesn't get here for another week and will miss Oasis by a day. I thought it'd be cool to see a picture of a Freedom class ship sitting next to Oasis so we can really get an appreciation for how HUGE Oasis is. I don't think Oasis is scheduled to call on any port while a Freedom class ship is in port.

Steve

Steve

I know on our January 2nd sailing we will get to see her with the Carnival Dream, Celebrity Solstice, Independence of the Seas and about 20 other ships.

Steve

The Oasis and Independence will be in Port Everglades together on Saturday, Dec. 12th.

Yeah, I have a feeling it can't make the turn around in the turning basin... Shame, I would really love to see it sitting at the end of the port.

This happens with Mariner in San Pedro. The turning basin is beyond the Vincent Thomas bridge, which is not high enough for Mariner to get under. So Mariner enters the breakwater, does a 180, and backs down the channel for the last 2 miles.

I think it could definitely fit (and make the turn). It is only 70 feet longer than freedom class ships - the real size difference comes from its increased width. Google maps has a picture of a freedom class ship in Miami, and judging by that ship, and the buoys, I think it could fit. That said, I doubt they will bring either ship to Miami any time soon seeing as they just built a terminal for the Oasis elsewhere, but is it technically possible? I think so. Just my educated guess.

Steve

Saturday - December 12, 2009. Oasis at Terminal 18 and Independence of the Seas at Terminal 25.

I think it could definitely fit (and make the turn). It is only 70 feet longer than freedom class ships - the real size difference comes from its increased width. Google maps has a picture of a freedom class ship in Miami, and judging by that ship, and the buoys, I think it could fit. That said, I doubt they will bring either ship to Miami any time soon seeing as they just built a terminal for the Oasis elsewhere, but is it technically possible? I think so. Just my educated guess.
I remember when RCI was talking to the Fl ports about where to homeport Oasis. They took proposals from both Miami and Fort. Lauderdale and Ft. Lauderdale won.

I see that they moved Navigator to Miami and next year, Independence will be homeported in Southhampton. Last year both of those ships had to use terminal 25, which is small and antiquated. It was a real nightmare disembarking with the luggage hard to find (in two rooms) and long walks to the luggage area from the ship. Navigator folks had trouble too I think of terminal 25 as the stepchild -- it is fine for Enchantment (we had no trouble when we disembarked there) but the Voyager and Freedom class are too big. Liberty takes up IOS's 6 day western/8 day eastern itinerary next year and it will leave from Miami from one of the terminals built for the Voyager class.

I know on our January 2nd sailing we will get to see her with the Carnival Dream, Celebrity Solstice, Independence of the Seas and about 20 other ships.
You might be thinking of a different Carnival ship. Carnival Dream will be in Port Canaveral on January 2nd. I will be leaving the Dream on the 2nd and believe me, I'd be so happy if Dream was in Port Everglades on that day so I could finally see the Oasis in person.;)

You might be thinking of a different Carnival ship. Carnival Dream will be in Port Canaveral on January 2nd. I will be leaving the Dream on the 2nd and believe me, I'd be so happy if Dream was in Port Everglades on that day so I could finally see the Oasis in person.;)

I didn't mean in Ft. Lauderdale on the exact 2nd. I meant on the January 2nd sailing we would see the Dream and other ships through out the week.

I would think that the reason it cant fit, is maybe govt cut is not deep enough. THe miami port where the ships go is not deep at all for these ships, and i would have to wonder if that might be an issue.

The Oasis can fit in Miami. The channel is deep enough and the turning basin large enough. Don't forget that for many years the Norway used Miami as a home port and she had a deep draft as she was built originally as a liner and not a cruise ship. Miami simply lost out to FLL who made a better offer. Offer meaning $$$$$$$$$$.

Yeah, Miami could easily handle her for depth. Miami is 45ft deep and Oasis's draft is only 30ft.

I'm still skeptical that she can make the turning basin within reasonable tolerances. Though seeing a ship enter port in reverse for that distance would be interesting! :)

The Dream and Oasis will be in St. Thomas and St. Marten together for Dream Eastern itineraries. They should be close to each other in St. Marten, but from what I have read on these boards the Oasis will be docking at Crown Bay in St. Thomas for January departures, if there is a Princess or HAL ship in St. Thomas on that day one will likely dock in Crown Bay while Dream would be at Havensight.

Beth

Archived