Princess Air

KruiserKat

Sorry, but that is pretty much a part of flying today, so I would expect it. That is one of the reasons I fly Southwest whenever I can as they do not charge for checked bags. Even international flights have some baggage charges now. I just booked Aer Lingus from London to Chicago and will have to pay $50 to check a second bag. At least the first one is free.

Since the luggage fee is seperate from the price of the actual airfare, I don't think I would be put out if Princess was paying for my flights and all I had to pay for is my checked baggage. On the world cruise, think about those that if luggage check in was included for flights, they would be bringing 10 bags each, as long as Princess was footing the bill............. ;) After seeing the prices for the world cruise, I don't think a couple hundred dollars would upset me too much for taking my luggage along. ;)

Enjoy your world cruise. :)

We are flying WestJet from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale and we can bring 2 suitcases and one carry-on and one purse (large one).

Of course we pay our own air fare. Almost half the price of the cruise and no free meals except for a cookie.

Air Canada still allows 2 bags as well. Just got our flight for February from them today. I don't think we get a cookie, but we did get a seat sale - and direct flights!

When we last cruised, we got a reasonable price from Princess Air but the connections were terrible- The flight was from Montreal which is 2 hours by car, and we are in a major City - not according to Princess Air! Never again.

:mad:Is anyone as offended as I, when Princess pays the air fare, (eg World Cruise) that the passenger still must pay $50pp for baggage to get to Fort Lauderdale?
No, I certainly wouldn't be offended as the baggage fee is likely the airline fee which Princess is passing along. All airlines are now charging fees for baggage unless you fly Biz/First Class. Of course, you could always upgrade to Biz/First Class and I bet you wouldn't get the baggage fee. On the other hand, it would probably cost you about 4x as much for the flight.

We are flying WestJet from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale and we can bring 2 suitcases and one carry-on and one purse (large one).
There's a BIG difference between bringing luggage for a world cruise vs. a 7-day cruise. There are also huge differences in costs and cruiseline policies between a world cruise and other types of cruises so what applies to one very likely doesn't apply to the other.

If Princess paid the baggage fee, it would just be passed on to you anyway. And they would have to know ahead of time...1 bag, 2 bags, no bags? And same or different # of bags for the return...

So what would end up happening, is everyone would pay for 2 bags. I doubt you'd like that if you're a one bag person!

:mad:Is anyone as offended as I, when Princess pays the air fare, (eg World Cruise) that the passenger still must pay $50pp for baggage to get to Fort Lauderdale?

There are always luggage charges on most airlines today..... It is a charge "per suitcase"... That would have to be paid at the airport...because nobody would know ahead of time how many suitcase you might be checking.

Some people don't check bags at all; they trim their packing down to a carryon - thereby avoid any luggage charges at all.

Frankly I'll fly Southwest anytime it is humanly possible to get from point A to point B... no luggage charges, no skycap charges, best ontime performance, friendliest employees.

Just how is this the fault of Princess? Each airline sets its baggage fees and they change all of the time.

Your ire toward Princess is inappropriate it needs to be directed at the airline in question, if at all.

From your tone if Princess included the cost of checking two bags per person automatically you would be offended that they assumed you would be checking two bags.

Also consider that you are paying the $50 baggage fee regardless. Ain't no free lunch.

Not offended. But I do feel cruise air is overpriced, particularly when you discover what cruise air is and is not. Might I suggest that you pop over to the cruise air board and review the sticky post on the subject? It might prevent future unpleasant surprises with regard to cruise air.

I guess you guys ( and gals) are right. It's just the idea of paying $50 on what would be a less than $100 flight!

My apologies!

Not a problem! I was recently fuming at USAir having raised their checked baggage fees to $20 online and $25 if done at the airport with an insult to injury $2 additional charge for curbside check-in. I was on business and would be reimbursed but the principle irritated me.

Do you honestly think Princess is paying your airfare. You are paying your airfare somewhere in the cost of your cruise.

When we last cruised, we got a reasonable price from Princess Air but the connections were terrible- The flight was from Montreal which is 2 hours by car, and we are in a major City - not according to Princess Air!

Not only a major city but also the nations capital!

When we last cruised, we got a reasonable price from Princess Air but the connections were terrible- The flight was from Montreal which is 2 hours by car, and we are in a major City - not according to Princess Air! Never again.
Instead of "Major City" read it as "airline hub". We live in our state's capital, but the major city/airline hubs are Dallas and Houston.

Again, we seem to be blaming Princess for something that is an airline issue.

We had to pay our first 'extra baggage fees' on the return from our World Cruise this year - bought a few toooo many souvenirs!!! We also had to buy an extra bag to haul them all.

Wouldn't have expected Princess to pick up the tab - they can't control what people bring or buy. Just the cost of having a fab cruise...Enjoy!!!

You will spend much more than that $50 on your cruise - believe me from experience -that will be the least of your 'extra expenses' on this once in a lifetime adventure...:)

Archived