Using a TA vs booking on own??

hawky

I have cruised with Oceania 6 or 7 times and have always called Oceania directly and them transferred the booking to a TA. They have told me that I can transfer a booking up to final payment. I booked a cruise for April on July 30 with Oceania. On September 10, I emailed Oceania of the transfer of the booking. Today, the TA called and told me she would not be getting a commission. Oceania said the policy has changed and that the bookings needed to be transferred within 30 days of the booking. I received no information, either verbal or in writing, regarding this policy change. I spoke to 4 different Oceania reps and was told many times that only the TAs need to know the policy. Now, if I keep the booking I will not be receiving the ship board credits that I have always received. Shouldn't the customer know the policy? Don't they know we are effected? Is this any way to treat a "Oceania Club" member?

From most Travel Companies' point of view (and that is ANY of them, not just Oceania), the fear is that you have been caught with your hand in the cookie jar.

From a Cruise Lines viewpoint, Travel Agents are meant to guide passengers through the (sometimes) intricate booking process and to provide additional services that the line does not offer, those "credits" that you speak of were intended to promote new business and/or reward the valued clients of those agents.

In recent times, certain passengers (some call them unscrupulous, some call them enterprising) have been, there really is no other word for it, "auctioning off" their existing Bookings to the Agent who will offer the largest incentive.

As this completely violates the terms under which Promotional Credits are granted, and since rebating from commission was NEVER tolerated, the rules governing the transfer of bookings had to be amended.

Still, if, as you say, you have always dealt with the same Agent , and have simply booked directly in the past as a matter of convenience, then that Agent should not mind taking this booking on, regardless of Commission.

There isn't much work to it, it will help her Sales figures, and the credits come from Oceania.

Where you will run into trouble is if you have been "shopping it around".

Good luck with it!

A good TA will:

1) Be of help in finding your cruise...they'll make recommendations...they'll alert you as to any special deals they know about...they'll come up with alternative pricing on different sail dates and different cabin categories...

2) They will make certain all of the details are handled properly...

3) They will monitor your cruise for price drops...

4) They will work out any problems that arise...use their greater influence and contacts in dealing with the cruise line...They know who to contact and what strings to pull...

5) They will alert you as to important dates such as payment deadlines.

6) They will find you to notify you about schedule changes or requirements...

I don't know, but I question some of your points about the value of a TA.

1) Most (all) TAs will bias their cruise recommendations based on the cruise lines they have agreements with. If I contact a TA they will only suggest from their list of cruise lines, and perhaps they will be inclined to suggest from the cruise lines that pay them the most. I find that I can do a better job myself by searching for my cruise amongst the offers of all cruise lines. The tough job comes next: finding a TA that works well with the cruise line I selected. All in all it's more work on my part, but I am confident that I can get the best cruise for my needs.

3) Perhaps I have used a "not good" TA, but recently I, independently, spotted a price drop in my cruise. I had to contact the TA, and point out that the lower price was even on the TA's own web site. No, they did not contact me to let me know of the lower price. Bad TA?

2) 5) 6) If booking directly with the cruise line, won't the cruise line do this too?

I have used a TA many times and received OBC, tips, gifts, etc. The point of my post was that the policy "until final payment" and "30 days after booking" was changed and I (the customer) was not informed. Do you use a TA and do you get benefits?

The agreement that changed was between the Cruise Line and Travel Agents, regarding "the assumption of Bookings", a fairly esoteric topic which is normally both invisible and inconsequential to 90% of all passengers.

As I outlined in my earlier post, the manipulation of Existing Bookings as a bargaining chip to obtain a more favorable "Deal" with some Agents was becoming widespread. This was undercutting both Oceania AND those quality Agents who refused to engage in such activity.

If you fall into the tiny segment of the remaining 10%, who booked without the intention of "shopping around for the best give back deal", then I see no reason why the Agent that you used before should not take on this booking as a courtesy to you in light of the former and future business that you bring them.

If this was a fishing expedition that went awry....well.....then it is what it is. :rolleyes:

I have used a TA many times and received OBC, tips, gifts, etc. The point of my post was that the policy "until final payment" and "30 days after booking" was changed and I (the customer) was not informed. Do you use a TA and do you get benefits?

Can't you still cancel the cruise and then rebook it with you agent of choice?

I use a TA from the day I book so no need to transfer the booking

My TA gives perks & I am happy with that

I know how important a good TA can be ;)

If you have used the same TA many times why not just book with them in the first place???

Lyn

One point in favour of using a travel agent that affects me in Canada - most provinces have a travel compensation fund if something goes wrong, i.e. bankruptcy of a travel provider. Not a concern with Oceania, I hasten to add! But still some people have been stuck when an airline stops service abruptly, etc. In Ontario it is TICO.ca For this and other reasons, I prefer to use my agent.

Originally Posted by Bruin Steve

A good TA will:

1) Be of help in finding your cruise...they'll make recommendations...they'll alert you as to any special deals they know about...they'll come up with alternative pricing on different sail dates and different cabin categories...

2) They will make certain all of the details are handled properly...

3) They will monitor your cruise for price drops...

4) They will work out any problems that arise...use their greater influence and contacts in dealing with the cruise line...They know who to contact and what strings to pull...

5) They will alert you as to important dates such as payment deadlines.

6) They will find you to notify you about schedule changes or requirements...

2) 5) 6) If booking directly with the cruise line, won't the cruise line do this too?

and 3) :confused:

I don't know, but I question some of your points about the value of a TA.

1) Most (all) TAs will bias their cruise recommendations based on the cruise lines they have agreements with. If I contact a TA they will only suggest from their list of cruise lines, and perhaps they will be inclined to suggest from the cruise lines that pay them the most. I find that I can do a better job myself by searching for my cruise amongst the offers of all cruise lines. The tough job comes next: finding a TA that works well with the cruise line I selected. All in all it's more work on my part, but I am confident that I can get the best cruise for my needs.

3) Perhaps I have used a "not good" TA, but recently I, independently, spotted a price drop in my cruise. I had to contact the TA, and point out that the lower price was even on the TA's own web site. No, they did not contact me to let me know of the lower price. Bad TA?

You just haven't met the right TA. My TA not not only wants my repeat business but also my referral business (which is substantial -- I hand out his cards on every cruise) and would NEVER suggest something that is not a good fit for me. That would be business suicide. He knows there are many TAs out there if he does not "do right by me."

I usually know what I want before I call my TA -- the research is all part of the fun. Once you book with a GOOD TA you have someone to "run interference" for you if there are problems, make special requests or simply guide you until your sailing. You should also get some benefits that the cruise line will not give you.

A GOOD TA should be able to work with any cruise line -- otherwise, get another TA. If you prefer to sail with a specific line (eg Oceania) then find a TA with a huge number of O bookings who has some "clout/relationship" with Oceania.

I personally see nothing wrong with "shopping around" for a TA. All things being equal (service, relationship with cruise line etc), price matters. As my mother always said, "Paying the most is nothing to brag about." LOL In pricing a Regent cruise , I found a $700 difference in OBC between 2 TAs.

I talked to one women on my Baltic cruise who thought her free pre-cruise hotel came from her TA. It didn't - it was from Oceania. I had that as part of the incentives too but my travel agent told me I had a choice of the hotel and transfer or get the money. We took the money - enough for several nights at a cheaper hotel. I think sometimes people don't know what the TA is giving and what the cruise line is giving.

I have met many "clueless" people on cruises

On our recent 16 night Mediterranean cruise on the Nautica, one woman had no idea there were no formal nights and brought 3 long formal gowns and her husband's tux. She paid extra baggage fees to do so. She was "shocked" that there were no formal nights. Of course, she could have read the brochure.. . .

Another woman thought she as REQUIRED to take the ship's tours and was complaining about the extra thousands of dollars that she was not "told about."

Obviously these two are extreme examples but there many others who, if armed with the right information and educated by a good TA, would not make costly mistakes or could enhance the enjoyment of their cruise.

When I meet people like the two I described, the first thing I do is tell them about Cruise Critic. Then I give them my TA's card. They are always grateful.

I talked to one women on my Baltic cruise who thought her free pre-cruise hotel came from her TA. It didn't - it was from Oceania. I had that as part of the incentives too but my travel agent told me I had a choice of the hotel and transfer or get the money. We took the money - enough for several nights at a cheaper hotel. I think sometimes people don't know what the TA is giving and what the cruise line is giving.

What "free" hotel????? I hope you told her it wasn't free and she paid double for something she could have gotten on her own if she had taken the credit!

What "free" hotel????? I hope you told her it wasn't free and she paid double for something she could have gotten on her own if she had taken the credit!

Sometimes you wonder how some of these people ever make it to the actual cruise or how they ever managed to make enough money to afford cruising.

Well, I did the Baltic cruise, too, and wasn't sure at first whether it was the TA or Oceania that threw in the pre-night hotel. It wasn't all that clear, as there was nothing on O's web site that indicated I would get a hotel night. I have never, however, complained about having to buy excursions and I most certainly have never brought formal wear onto Oceania! As to TA versus O, I'm a fan of those sites where you post your desired cruise and TAs email you with offers. I was happy with the deal I found through there, even if the pre-cruise hotel was actually given by Oceania, not the TA! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think TAs can also get you into a booked-up category (we like the cheap seats) when Oceania can probably only put you on a waiting list, since they reserve cabins ahead of time and don't have to provide an actual name until later.

I have been with the same agent for years. However, I use the Agent as my represenative to the cruise line to negotiate the cabin and price.

We work together... cooperative. I do the research, on ship. trip and cabin and when. I do all the leg work and present him a "package" to take to the company. I prefer doing it that way because no one knows my wants and needs better than me.:cool:

He dosen't have to do any of that. This leaves him free to focus on the financial end getting the best deal for the dollar, which I can not do with the line by going direct.. That is the special talent he has and he keeps on top of the financial end.

So I think this is what was ment by " cooperative", we are a team

I dont care about onboard credit because its really only pennys on the dollar Rather I would like dollars off the fare because of the greater value. os performance is rewarded because I have gone from 14 day cruises to 54 day ones over the years.

In the past I booked a string of cruises together, and wound up getting a penthouse for the price of a standard outside. I once went direct and asked for some extras or a deal and was told to "pack sand" .

If you think you can get a better deal yourself... your kidding yourself..

Sometimes you wonder how some of these people ever make it to the actual cruise or how they ever managed to make enough money to afford cruising.

Reminds me of an actual post one time on the Disney boards. A woman from New Jersey booked a suite at the Grand Floridian, as wanted to know since it was hot in Florida, if the hotel would be air conditioned? Can you really that well off as to afford a suite at the nicest hotel at DisneyWorld, yet be that clueless about life??

Archived