Cruise line dining options

rcha

My wife and I like having the option to choose when and where we eat.

So far we have chosen three NCL cruises but would like some advice on other lines or ships that would given us the same sort of freedom.

We like quality but also enjoy less formal dining arrangements.

Any suggestions welcome

RCI also has "My Time Dining"...but depending on the ship, you may only have the dining room or buffet as a choice of dining venue. Some ships have specialty (pay) restaurants that you can book.

If you like NCL food, you'll probably be happy with any of the other cruiseline's food prep and quality. None are what I consider to be more than 2 star. (Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, Outback, type of food.)

Unless I'm mistaken, all the mass-market cruise lines have added the flexible dining times. I know that Carnival, RCI, Princess, and Celebrity all do it.

Is there something specific you are looking for in another cruise line that NCL doesn't offer? Are you looking to step up, or just something different?

It's probably unlikely that a first-time cruiser would consider Oceania as a viable alternative to NCL. They're on opposite ends of the price scale.

Having 3 cruises under their belt is hardly a 1st timer.

They asked for options

Options were given ....they can decide if it is in their price range.

Some people choose cruise lines for other reasons than price

Lyn

My wife and I like having the option to choose when and where we eat.

So far we have chosen three NCL cruises but would like some advice on other lines or ships that would given us the same sort of freedom.

We like quality but also enjoy less formal dining arrangements.

Any suggestions welcome

You mentioned the "where" as important. Celebrity's newer ships (haven't been on them yet, but will) seem to have the most specialty restaurants. Princess has a couple good specialty restaurants. I like their anytime dining but was not the biggest fan of their MDR food (for dinner).

Unless I'm mistaken, all the mass-market cruise lines have added the flexible dining times. I know that Carnival, RCI, Princess, and Celebrity all do it.

Is there something specific you are looking for in another cruise line that NCL doesn't offer? Are you looking to step up, or just something different?

thanks for all the advice.

We would like something different with regard to ship and also food. Would be happy to have food of a better quality but like the idea of going to the restaurant when we want. Also a range of options would be good.

We also like to eat on our balcony so good room service would be a must.

Thanks

rcha

The moment you said good room service I knew I needed to respond. Holland America has wonderful room service, plus anytime dining. For thier room servce you can order off the regular menu and everything comes on time and hot. Even eggs bendict for breakfast and lobster for dinner. Great service..

The moment you said good room service I knew I needed to respond. Holland America has wonderful room service, plus anytime dining. For thier room servce you can order off the regular menu and everything comes on time and hot. Even eggs bendict for breakfast and lobster for dinner. Great service..

Wow,, that does sound good,, I have never seen a really good room service option on any other line( mass market , not luxe),, not that good anyways,.. seems like mostly sandwiches etc..

IMHO NCL has, by far, the most dining options. We have sailed with NCL, Carnival, Princess, Costa, Star Line, Louis, RCI, P&O and Thomsons. Most now have some version of 'free-style' dining but it is usually 1 main dining room plus the buffet and maybe 1 or 2 'pay' alternatives. We have enjoyed every one of our 26 cruises but love all the dining choises, free and paid, on NCL.

thanks for all the advice.

We would like something different with regard to ship and also food. Would be happy to have food of a better quality but like the idea of going to the restaurant when we want. Also a range of options would be good.

We also like to eat on our balcony so good room service would be a must.

I recommend taking a look at Celebrity's Solstice Class ships (Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse). The ships are stunning, the food is great, and the service is excellent.

It's probably unlikely that a first-time cruiser would consider Oceania as a viable alternative to NCL. They're on opposite ends of the price scale.

We really don't know what another cruiser would consider unless they actually tell us. Why do you think that a first time cruiser would not consider Oceania (for their dining options or whatever else)? In this case, rcha is not a first time cruiser, so that point is moot anyway, and the OP specifically says "any suggestions welcome."

Also, NCL and Oceania are not "on opposite ends of the price scale." The luxury lines (Crystal, et al) are on the opposite end of the price scale from the mass market lines. Oceania and Azamara are generally considered to be in the middle; premium (not mass market and not luxury).

rcha:

My mother loves Oceania for their easy dining options and quality of food. They don't have as many options as NCL (but then, most lines don't), but the quality is quite high. Princess gets high marks from many regarding dining quality, but they have fewer options...OTOH, some members prefer Carnival food to Princess or RCI or HAL, etc. It's so subjective. If you're looking for multiple dining options and venues, then you might want to look at the new mega ships (e.g., RCI's Oasis of the Seas) because they tend to have more options due to their size. (We have absolutely zero interest in a ship that holds 4,000 to 6,000 passengers, so I can't give you any first-hand feedback on those ships.) You might want to browse around the ship reviews here on the newest/largest ships for RCI, HAL, Princess, NCL, and Carnival and see which appeal to you. All of those lines now offer anytime dining options, in addition to having at least one specialty restaurant and usually a casual dining venue in addition to the standard buffet. Happy cruising!

beachchick

NCL and Oceania are not opposite? I think they are......NCL is totally casual and the ships are much larger in size.

Oceania ships are much smaller, they only have 3 ships in the fleet,

averaging 30,000 tons and less than 700 passengers.

If you check the prices of each line, there is really no comparison.

Oceania is way more expensive.

Checking each line, Oceania has only longer sailings and start

about 2grand per person. (Caribbean cruises)...all are 12 nights

or more.

NCL looks like you can sail for 7 nights out of Port Canaveral for about

500.00 per person.

Apples to Oranges..they are totally different styles of cruiseline.

That is why there are cruiselines out there for everyone:D

Every line gears their product to a certain demographic....each person

can find what is best for themsevles.:)

They have taken 3 NCL cruises, so they are not first time cruisers.

Besides, it depends on their pocketbook, and how much they are willing to budget. They may want to go more upscale. They did not indicate they were looking for only mainstream. They only indicated they did not want assigned dinning and to particapte in formal nights.

Besides, I have a friend who booked Regent for her first cruise. So some people, if they can afford it, do go upscale for their first cruise.

NCL and Oceania are not opposite? I think they are......NCL is totally casual and the ships are much larger in size.

Oceania ships are much smaller, they only have 3 ships in the fleet,

averaging 30,000 tons and less than 700 passengers.

If you check the prices of each line, there is really no comparison.

Oceania is way more expensive.

Checking each line, Oceania has only longer sailings and start

about 2grand per person. (Caribbean cruises)...all are 12 nights

or more.

NCL looks like you can sail for 7 nights out of Port Canaveral for about

500.00 per person.

Apples to Oranges..they are totally different styles of cruiseline.

That is why there are cruiselines out there for everyone:D

Every line gears their product to a certain demographic....each person

can find what is best for themsevles.:)

They are quite different, certainly, but my post was in response to the comment that they are on opposite ends of the price scale. They are not; the luxury lines are on the opposite end of the price scale from the mass market lines, including NCL. Oceania and Azamara are generally far more expensive than NCL, Carnival, et al, but not on the level of the luxury lines. I'm sure we don't all put the same cruise lines in the same categories though, so some of it is definitely personal opinion. My opinion is that Oceania is a wonderful choice, very different from NCL and other mass market lines, and offering a thoroughly elegant experience on small, traditionally designed ships. (Caveat: This is based on my mother's experiences with Oceania, as well as that of her traveling companions; we have not yet cruised with them, but are looking forward to it.)

Oceania is considered a more upscale, intimate, and "old school" cruise experience. Their itineraries are generally fantastic and their dining (options and quality) almost always gets very high praise. A small note that Oceania is, technically, no more "formal" than NCL. Both do not have formal nights; both have all open seating for dining; both request country club casual at dinner. In overall atmosphere, I think we can agree that Oceania and NCL are very different in most ways, including size, style, and amenities. But being different doesn't make them opposites, IMO. It makes them two distinct options, which is (as you point out) a very good thing because people have different preferences and tastes. We are the type of cruisers who enjoy many different styles and types of cruise line and ship, so it's great to have such a variety to choose from each time.

beachchick

Archived