What's the First Thing You do After You Get On Board?

Coastalbreezes

This is my first cruise with Holland America. My 11 yo DS will be there, and since we are flying in that morning, food will have to be the first stop.

(That will make it much more relaxing for me.........)

I read somewhere that Lido was crowded and long lines and there was somewhere else you could eat, but the person's review didn't say where.

Can anyone help with that?

My mom is also coming and at times she can't stand in one place for extended periods of time.

Since it's your first cruise with HAL, your only option for lunch is the Lido which is quite nice. It can be crowded (finding a seat), however, but a lot of folks find a table around either the mid-ship Lido pool and/or the aft portion (outside the Lido). Timing has a lot to do with it also - Lots of folks get there as soon as it's allowed (11:30 AM - 12:30 PM) so you'll get a rush on the Lido. Maybe grab a small bite at a FLL airport eatery. Then make it to the port around 1:15-2:00 PM and you'll find a lot less pax in the Lido since the rooms are usually available starting at 1:30 PM. Have a great cruise!:)

After lunch when the cabins are available, I take out my handy alcohol wipes and wipe down my cabin entrance and everything I can think of inside in case the insidious Norovirus has visited my cabin lately. Then, if luggage is still not available I'll walk around the ship to see where everything is, then check the cabin for luggage. If it's there, unpack; if not, I head to the Promenade and start on the at least 3 miles a day that I promised myself I would do.

We wait for our cabin to be available, then unpack our carryon, we always bring garment bags with us. Then we head for the Lido, bring lunch back to the cabin and have lunch on our balcony while we wait for our luggage to arrive. If it comes early we unpack.

If not then we check out the rest of the ship until the lifeboat drill. We always enjoy the sail away - if there is a party at the pool deck we join it, if not, we have a drink on our balcony and wave to those who are waving at us leaving. :D

After lunch when the cabins are available, I take out my handy alcohol wipes and wipe down my cabin entrance and everything I can think of inside in case the insidious Norovirus has visited my cabin lately. Then, if luggage is still not available I'll walk around the ship to see where everything is, then check the cabin for luggage. If it's there, unpack; if not, I head to the Promenade and start on the at least 3 miles a day that I promised myself I would do.

That's exactly what I do also. Firstly, we head to the Lido poolside, have our lunch and I order my Mojito, buy our drink card, and then when it's time to go to our cabin, I bring out my sterlizing wipes. I wipe all handles, door knobs, remote control, faucets, etc. It is always fun to see our cabin for the first time and we start unpacking a few things. I LOVE HAL's beds. I jump on it and gaze outside !! Fun times ahead.

How many times do you have to sail HAL to be able to go to this? Is it in a main dining room?

I usually drop off my carry-on, if I can, then go get a bite to eat if I'm hungry. If dining time and place is a worry I'll try to take care of that and if I need to do any special bookings they also get taken care of right away!

I can't wait to sail HAL again!

When I travel with my daughter, we start at the lowest deck we can access and follow it the length of the ship, then go up a deck and repeat in the other direction, exploring every inch till we reach the top. It's a lot of fun. :)

When I travel with my mother, who isn't interested in racing me around the ship, we relax until lifeboat drill.

First stop is the stateroom to drop off the hand luggage, make sure the beds are arranged correctly and introduce myself to our cabin steward...

...then its up to the the spa to make appointments for haircuts, etc, then the Lido for a nibble and a cocktail to prepare for the unpacking and boat drill.

THANK YOU for the reminder about the wipes -- I knew there was something I forgot to get!

Tracy

On the last 2 cruises we were first on board. HAL is now holding your carry on luggage up by the pool so you do not have to carry it around. We make our first trip to the library and pick up some books then have a coffee in the explorers lounge.Then we can roam around until cabins are ready or sit outside at the aft pool and have a glass of wine. That is where we met the cellar master and booked the wine tastings and the sommelier dinner. Was that ever fun.

On the last 2 cruises we were first on board. HAL is now holding your carry on luggage up by the pool so you do not have to carry it around.

How does that work? Is your carry-on locked up? I carry my good jewelry and other important items in my carry-on and want to make sure that it will be safely taken care of before I hand it over.

Tracy

Wang Wangs for evrybody!:)

Whats in a Wang Wang? I am doing my first HAL cruise on the Eurdoam December 26th! Ive cruised several other lines including Oceania, Disney, Princess, RCCL, Cunard. But never HAL but my aunt has done about 20 HAL cruises and refuses to even try another line anymore. My excitement level is beginning to get ratcheted up since we are now in December!

Whats in a Wang Wang?...............

WangWang (spelled Weng Weng on our last bar rceipt):

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice

Add a splash of Grenadine and let the games begin!

How does that work? Is your carry-on locked up?

With the possible rare exception, HAL has been storing carry-on luggage since the beginning of early embarkation. Most of the time it's been stored in a roped-off, manned area by the Lido pool. You turn in your luggage, get a claim check, and pick it up within (usually) 15 minutes of cabins available.

Once, on the Rotterdam, the location was in the Husdon Room; my first time on the Noordam it was in the Piano Bar, and it was delivered to my cabin.

Let me repeat: there has always been at least one, and normally two, stewards attending the luggage. I never felt that my things were at risk.

We will have carry-on luggage each, one of which is a wine bag (not carton) which holds 6 bottles, my DH is not keen on carrying this around until our cabin is ready. If we put a label on it would it be okay to store this in the roped off area presumably near the Lido??

We will have carry-on luggage each, one of which is a wine bag (not carton) which holds 6 bottles, my DH is not keen on carrying this around until our cabin is ready. If we put a label on it would it be okay to store this in the roped off area presumably near the Lido??

I can't think of any reason why not.

The stewards just take your things, give you a claim check, and store them. They don't ask any questions.

WangWang (spelled Weng Weng on our last bar rceipt):

1/4 oz Vodka

1/4 oz Gin

1/4 oz White Rum

1/4 oz Scotch

1/4 oz Bourbon

1/4 oz Tequila

1/4 Triple Sec

1/4 oz Brandy

Top it off with Pineapple and Orange Juice

Add a splash of Grenadine and let the games begin!

No wonder I got so plastered on Volendam...

...before leaving the pier!

:eek:

Archived