What's the First Thing You do After You Get On Board?

Coastalbreezes

Hi,

I have not seen this question asked before so I will pose it:

For those who board the ship early, what is the first thing you do after you get on?

Usually I cruise with my mother and she likes to go to the Lido for lunch. Since I am cruising solo this time, I was thinking of wearing my swimsuit under my sun dress and heading to the pool for a few hours with a good book.

What do YOU do?

Tracy

Hi,

I have not seen this question asked before so I will pose it:

For those who board the ship early, what is the first thing you do after you get on?

Usually I cruise with my mother and she likes to go to the Lido for lunch. Since I am cruising solo this time, I was thinking of wearing my swimsuit under my sun dress and heading to the pool for a few hours with a good book.

What do YOU do?

Tracy

We usually head to the Lido to start those stomach stretching exercises that we know we will need later in the week and then do some exploring of the ship to get our bearings. After the rooms are available we head to them and get excited over our balcony view

First, I try to stop grinning quite soooo much.

Then it's up the stairs with me. I start working off all of the butter and cream that are in my future right away.:p I end up at the Lido pool area for a sandwich and an adult beverage. I pretty much stay out by the pool and chill until the rooms are ready.

Well, that's the old plan actually. Now I'll go the Mariner lunch in the dining room and let the pampering begin!

By the way, I see no reason why you shouldn't wear your swimsuit and get into the pool. I haven't seen it done a lot, but I can't imagine why not.

First we make sure we get ,or get on the waiting list for, a table for two along the rail of the upper dining room.

Then we walk around all the outside decks and get ready to find the best views for the departure. We love the rituals of watching the pilot get on and off the ship and we want to learn where all the best view points are.

Each time so far we have sailed a different class HAL ship, so this time we will be getting to know the lay of the land on a Vista class ship.

And since it appears Mariner Society members get to eat in the dining room instead of the Lido, that would be our next stop. And then unpack in our room and get ready for the fun to begin.

Since I usually board before the cabin are ready, and they're usually just shooing us up to the Lido, that's where i go. I'll sit and have a bite and chat with friends. Then, when my cabin is ready, I'll proceed there and wait for my luggage to arrive. If it comes quickly enough (and it usually does) I'll unpack and store my bags under my bed prior to the lifeboat drill. After lifeboat drill I usually go up and out front to watch sail away (it depends upon the ship and the weather conditions and where I'm sailing from as to WHERE, specifically, I go).

First thing I do is sigh a huge sigh of relief -- I cannot relax until I am physically on the ship. Get a big grin on my face, then we get away from the hordes who are boarding, and find the stairs, as they will be our constant companion over the course of the cruise. Stairs to the aft deck pool, another sigh -- this time it is contentment. And if the big grin has faded, it is back on my face again. Check our dining arrangements, and this is the time we'd go make any request for change, if needed.

Wander around, get familiar with the ship, and if the dining room is open (which now is apparently always the case) grab some food there. Or some sushi from the Lido which we eat at the aft pool. Relax, grin, sigh happily, repeat.

Once the cabins are available, check out the cabin and make sure we have all the paperwork we'd expected (shorex, OBCs, Pinnacle). Relax, grin, sigh happily, repeat.

Some great replies here!

I forgot about the Mariner's lunch in the MDR -- what hours does that run?

I am very excited about having an SS all to myself so am looking forward to checking out my cabin as well. Hoping also to connect with some folks on our roll call at sailaway.

Tracy

Top priority is to sprint to the MDR and verify that my table assignment

is a table for 2, Main Traditional seating.

If not, off to the Explorer's Lounge or wherever to appeal to the Maitre 'd

to make the change.

Once the dinner reservation is to my liking - I can actually begin to

relax and enjoy myself!:)

We typically head to the Neptune first then check out our cabin... If our luggage isn't there yet, we go to the aft pool where DH has a beer at the bar and we soak up the warm sea air. We live in land locked Kansas so we really appreciate the ocean breezes on our winter cruises.

Lunch in the MDR and then onto the Spa to Check out the facilities and book a pass for the week if I'm so inclined. By then the rooms are ready, So I explore the room, unpack if the bags are there and in February... I will then head for the varanda =)

i'm like everyone who get a big smile on their face because it's vacation. i usually get there later but always head out to tour the ship and get some fresh sea air (i'm also landlocked in kansas). then it's off to the gym and spa tour. i sign up for a class or two. By then the lido is quieter.

tracy, i like your idea of a good book and relaxing by the pool. since you are leaving later in the year the weather should be beautiful. i usually go in january when it can be cooler and sometimes drizzly. Also i do look for the drink of the day. A margarita is a good send off drink or a pina colada.

sometimes when i get there we have a cruise critic group meeting on a pool deck. i hope you have looked at your roll call to chat with your fellow cruisers. i have met some really fun people. It helps when going solo to "know" a few people when you get on the ship.

michelle

Cross the gangway with a huge smile on my face. Head for the stairs to find the Explorations Cafe and buy my coffee card and first latte. Next is the Spa for my thermal suite pass and to schedule a massage to work out the packing and travel stress. Check out the dining room assignment, change if necessary. Then to the Lido for a bite to eat and the first bread pudding with custard sauce. After that it is time to check out the cabin and start unpacking so I'll be all ready for sail-away. Finally, find a quiet space and relax with a good book until dinner. To me, a cruise is all about relaxation and that's how I set the stage for a great trip.

i'm like everyone who get a big smile on their face because it's vacation. i usually get there later but always head out to tour the ship and get some fresh sea air (i'm also landlocked in kansas). then it's off to the gym and spa tour. i sign up for a class or two. By then the lido is quieter.

tracy, i like your idea of a good book and relaxing by the pool. since you are leaving later in the year the weather should be beautiful. i usually go in january when it can be cooler and sometimes drizzly. Also i do look for the drink of the day. A margarita is a good send off drink or a pina colada.

sometimes when i get there we have a cruise critic group meeting on a pool deck. i hope you have looked at your roll call to chat with your fellow cruisers. i have met some really fun people. It helps when going solo to "know" a few people when you get on the ship.

michelle

Yes there is a roll call and I'm hoping to meet a few people at sailaway. I actually sailed with two people on our roll call in 2006 so look forward to seeing them again! Thanks,

Tracy

This is my first cruise with Holland America. My 11 yo DS will be there, and since we are flying in that morning, food will have to be the first stop.

(That will make it much more relaxing for me.........)

I read somewhere that Lido was crowded and long lines and there was somewhere else you could eat, but the person's review didn't say where.

Can anyone help with that?

My mom is also coming and at times she can't stand in one place for extended periods of time.

Archived