dress shorts in the main dining room?

TNTwiggy

I, too, worked in retail for a few years and it was a time when "dress shorts" were a thing. Honestly, the only time I even remotely saw them as being dressy was when they were worn with a tailored jacket (sometimes the same fabric as the shorts) - but that's more of a corporate look to me, and not one that was very accepted here. Still not something I (personally) would wear to a restaurant with table cloths, even on a cruise ship - even on Carnival. But again, our opinions were asked for on this thread, and that's mine.

yes I remember that, we could sell the blazer and the shorts but my staff could not wear them to work that is the shorts not the blazer, I will take everyones advise and maybe I will not wear them, there were some points well taken, Thank You Ladies and I did not even ask the question,

Have a Good week-End

Happy Sailing

sailorwife:)

Joan

I'm on vacation and wear what I want to dinner, events, etc. I pay enough for the cruise and do not like someone telling me how to dress. Not into dressing up. On formal night, I were dressy shorts, pants and nice blouse. Hubby wore kakki pants nice shirt. Dress how you like.

I think many cruise line specifically say no shorts...always get a kick out of the cruises that take the "I paid for the cruise so I will dress how I want" attitude towards dinner, especially formal night...while in the end it doesnt affect my dinner so it really doesnt matter...you did pay for the cruise, and you paid for it knowing there were certain guidelines (including dress code) to adhere to...

I'm on vacation and wear what I want to dinner, events, etc. I pay enough for the cruise and do not like someone telling me how to dress. Not into dressing up. On formal night, I were dressy shorts, pants and nice blouse. Hubby wore kakki pants nice shirt. Dress how you like.

I see you also posted on the Celebrity board. I have difficulty imagining why someone would be so inconsiderate as to completely ignore the dress code and wear shorts on a formal evening. Since you appear to also be considering NCL, I suggest you might fit in better with them as they are much more relaxed regarding appropriate dress.

Wow. a rebel without a cause!! Do you wear cutoffs and a tshirt to a funeral because you don't feel like dressing up a bit?

A comment like that says to me "I can't really afford to take a cruise".

I hate it when people think their rights replace their responsiblity. It wouldn't kill anyone to clean up a little nicer than they normally do. They might even be more attractive.

I think she's upset because people offered their opnions that there is no such thing as dressy shorts.

I think many cruise line specifically say no shorts...always get a kick out of the cruises that take the "I paid for the cruise so I will dress how I want" attitude towards dinner, especially formal night...while in the end it doesnt affect my dinner so it really doesnt matter...you did pay for the cruise, and you paid for it knowing there were certain guidelines (including dress code) to adhere to...

A funny thing happened yesterday. One of the young women I mentioned who shows up in shorts (I guess they are dress shorts, I don't get the difference) , actually showed up to our store meeting in her pajamas! We aren't required to dress to "code" for a meeting, most of us who are not working usually wear jeans. I had on nice jeans, a pressed white shirt, hair done and makeup on.

I see girls wearing pajamas to the grocery store as well as other places, but to a meeting? It was clear she rolled out of bed, no makeup except what was still smudging her eyes from the night before, slippers, hair a mess, the pajamas were wrinkled like they were just slept in.

I'm not the manager nor would I care to be, but I would have sent her home to change. The meeting ended up going overtime, the store opened and there she was, in front of customers in sloppy pajamas :eek: Some of us ended up actually having to help out customers before we left, her in pajamas....nice presentation for our store :(

Bummer, isn't it? Not only do they tell people how to dress, they tell them they have to tip, they can't take food off the ship, can't bring alcohol on, no babies in the pools who have to be at lesast 6 months old to get on to begin with, people can't smoke wherever they please, and the list goes on. Just too many do's and don'ts after paying them to be on vacation.:rolleyes:

I own a few pairs if dress shorts, a silk type blend and really like them.

They can be dressed up with a heel and nice top. I do usually bring them on a cruise and will wear them to the dining room for lunch. If this is a look you like as I do there are other options than just formal night where you can wear them.

Exactly. Great post. The problem is, no matter what you advise people, they start "interpreting" the so called rules to make it so it's ok in their mind to wear shorts or jeans.

People just don't dress proper anymore, period. You go to Europe and you see women on the street still looking pretty and fresh even if it's just in jeans and a nice sweater or top. Here in this country, people don't take pride in their appearance. Yesterday at the restaurant people for Thanksgiving people were wearing cutoffs and tank tops and this was a nice place. They looked lke slobs.

Really? When I was in France last summer I did not see this. The biggest difference I saw in the French and Americans is they speak different languages. The funniest thing I saw was a teen boy in way too big jeans down almost to his knees with his hands in his pockets to hold his pants up. Sounds familiar-doesn't it? I had to laugh at that-I felt I had not left the US! BTW-his girlfriend was in daisy dukes and a midriff top and high heeled sandals. Typical "American" teens, except they spoke French.

Now I did see some women and men dressed very chic, but my point was, I also saw a good many dressed just as sloppy as Americans.

Now I did see some women and men dressed very chic, but my point was, I also saw a good many dressed just as sloppy as Americans.

You're correct. There are people who dress nicely and those that don't in every country. The US is hardly a country of nothing but slobs.

I was referring more to women, not teens per se. I've been on a few military bases in Europe and it was easy to tell "in town" who the Europeans were versus the Americans. The Americans wore sloppy sweats, no makeup, etc and the European women even if they "dressed down" did not look like slobs..they'd wear nice boots with jeans, a pretty scarf, etc.

Only stating my observations.

Really? When I was in France last summer I did not see this. The biggest difference I saw in the French and Americans is they speak different languages. The funniest thing I saw was a teen boy in way too big jeans down almost to his knees with his hands in his pockets to hold his pants up. Sounds familiar-doesn't it? I had to laugh at that-I felt I had not left the US! BTW-his girlfriend was in daisy dukes and a midriff top and high heeled sandals. Typical "American" teens, except they spoke French.

Guest TropicOne

Quote:

Originally Posted by TropicOne viewpost.gif

If it is Carnival you will be fine and within the dress code.

On Carnival, anything including bib-type jeans is within the dress code.

DON

Don, do not use my posts in your Carnival bashing !!!!!!!

I own a few pairs if dress shorts, a silk type blend and really like them.

They can be dressed up with a heel and nice top. I do usually bring them on a cruise and will wear them to the dining room for lunch. If this is a look you like as I do there are other options than just formal night where you can wear them.

I agree. Certain shorts can be dressed up. I think bermuda length shorts with heals and a nice jacket or top is acceptable for dinner on casual nights, especially if it's within the dress code.

I was referring more to women, not teens per se. I've been on a few military bases in Europe and it was easy to tell "in town" who the Europeans were versus the Americans. The Americans wore sloppy sweats, no makeup, etc and the European women even if they "dressed down" did not look like slobs..they'd wear nice boots with jeans, a pretty scarf, etc.

Only stating my observations.

Oh, I saw many adults also dressed sloppily, especially in Bordeaux. In Paris, more were dressed better, but even in Paris, I ran into sloppy people who did not speak English. I only mentioned the teens because I thought it was hilarious that they Looked so much like American teens.

I remember one woman in this little grocery store near our hotel in Paris that I was behind in line. Very sloppy, she was wearing a skirt and blouse, but her clothing was obviously unpressed, and the skirt was too tight because the zipper did not lay correctly, there were also stains on her clothing, not dirty, I think, but stains that did not come out in the wash. She was around my age 50 plus, and she spoke French with a French accent, so I am pretty sure she was French. Now, the Americans I saw, (and I saw plenty in the our hotel that catered to Americans) were all dressed very nicely, but they were mostly older, I did not see many Americans under 40.

Now,of course, I was on vacation, and this was not an army base, (not where I would spend a vacation) with a lot of younger lower income middle class wives. You DO realize that the military does not pay that well, except for the officers.

It seems to me, people of lower income do not dress as well, often because they can't afford better. Now, I have only been to England, France, Belgium, and Ireland, in Europe. but I did see a good number of ordinary everyday people from those areas, not dressed like fashion plates, whom I felt was sloppy. Not clerks in stores and businesses, but people on the street going aobut their business.

You don't have to have a lot of money to still look presentable and not like a slob. Yesterday I was testifying against a patient in a trial and you should have seen what people wore to court. One gal wore short shorts, a tight yellow tshirt, and high high yellow heals and brought a knock off bag..and she was in no shape to be wearing shorts, period..and you wonder why the judge thought she wasn't a fit parent. Another chap wore his bedroom slippers with saggy pants and a tshirt. People either just don't have common sense or they don't care what they look like. They say you shoudln't judge someone by how they look but the reality is people do.

I bought some beautiful things in some "charity shops" in England that I got on the cheap and are unique and pretty.

Oh, I saw many adults also dressed sloppily, especially in Bordeaux. In Paris, more were dressed better, but even in Paris, I ran into sloppy people who did not speak English. I only mentioned the teens because I thought it was hilarious that they Looked so much like American teens.

I remember one woman in this little grocery store near our hotel in Paris that I was behind in line. Very sloppy, she was wearing a skirt and blouse, but her clothing was obviously unpressed, and the skirt was too tight because the zipper did not lay correctly, there were also stains on her clothing, not dirty, I think, but stains that did not come out in the wash. She was around my age 50 plus, and she spoke French with a French accent, so I am pretty sure she was French. Now, the Americans I saw, (and I saw plenty in the our hotel that catered to Americans) were all dressed very nicely, but they were mostly older, I did not see many Americans under 40.

Now,of course, I was on vacation, and this was not an army base, (not where I would spend a vacation) with a lot of younger lower income middle class wives. You DO realize that the military does not pay that well, except for the officers.

It seems to me, people of lower income do not dress as well, often because they can't afford better. Now, I have only been to England, France, Belgium, and Ireland, in Europe. but I did see a good number of ordinary everyday people from those areas, not dressed like fashion plates, whom I felt was sloppy. Not clerks in stores and businesses, but people on the street going aobut their business.

You don't have to have a lot of money to still look presentable and not like a slob. Yesterday I was testifying against a patient in a trial and you should have seen what people wore to court. One gal wore short shorts, a tight yellow tshirt, and high high yellow heals and brought a knock off bag..and she was in no shape to be wearing shorts, period..and you wonder why the judge thought she wasn't a fit parent. Another chap wore his bedroom slippers with saggy pants and a tshirt. People either just don't have common sense or they don't care what they look like. They say you shoudln't judge someone by how they look but the reality is people do.

I bought some beautiful things in some "charity shops" in England that I got on the cheap and are unique and pretty.

True, I know this. You are "preaching to the choir". I odn't think people shoudl go out dressed sloppy. I grew up military lower middle class. My dad was a sargent, (so still in listed) so he had an ok salary,not great but better than those privates and their wives you are talking about how they dress, but we were still far from wealthy. A sargent is not like a colonel for sure. What we did was, we wore our bummy clothes around the house and changed when we went out. Nowadays, though, people don't. Perhaps they should, but they don't

People who have a little money have nicer clothes even for aorund the house. I know I do. I don't wear sweats period. I dress in nice clothing from the time I get up, so if I need to make a run to the store, I don't have to change. If I get bleach etc. on my clothes cleaning house, I throw them away, but I can now afford to do this. Many can't.

Yes, even lower income people should hopefully have at least a few presentable pieces of clothing, that they should put on when they go out in public, but many don't. And my POINT- was (that you missed)-the common, everyday man, wherever I have been, were just as sloppy as the common everyday Americans. I have seen Europeans dressed just as sloppy.

I think it may be more of a "regional" or even "city by city" difference than one that is country- or continent-wide. I know when I moved to New York after living in the South my entire life, I was horrified at the way people dressed to go out. Sloppy jeans and sweats was the order of the day for all but the dressiest occasions. (This was in an upscale suburban area about an hour from NYC mind you, not Manhattan!) No or very little makeup and a great many looked like they'd never met a mirror. VERY different from where I grew up and (to a lesser extent) where I live now, in one of the South's bigger cities.

On the other hand, I've spent a good many days in Rome over the past few years, and I can honestly say that I believe women in Rome are more well-dressed than anywhere else I've traveled. Perhaps not always "chic" (they tend to overdo it a little....or a lot....) but definitely you can tell they put a lot of thought and effort into their look. Makeup and hair is done, perfectly accessorized, beautiful footwear......of course it helps that they all seem to be a size 2 or 4.

Hi Cynthia:) an hour from NYC? Upscale? Sounds like

Westchester County?

Yep, you got it. :)

And I should say that I ended up adapting during my several years there......became rather fond of chunky black turtlenecks and faded jeans. That seemed to be the outfit of choice.

But I just couldn't see going into a diner in my pajamas!

Yep, you got it. :)

And I should say that I ended up adapting during my several years there......became rather fond of chunky black turtlenecks and faded jeans. That seemed to be the outfit of choice.

But I just couldn't see going into a diner in my pajamas!

LOL....I agree. I wear pj's around the house;):D..they are soft,

comfy and they are for the house..not for going out.

I agree with those who say, "shorts are shorts", and don't belong in the Main Dining Room for dinner but that is just my opinion.

Wear them for breakfast or lunch but not for dinner.

On my HAL Westerdam cruise I saw a woman, (young compared to me) 30ish, who wore wool tweed walking shorts will heels,chunky gold and amber jewelry (she was in shades of browns) and a silky blouse on one of the formal nights. She looked attractive, but to me, not dressed up enough for formal night. I thought she would have been fine for a trendy upscale restaurant though-perhaps she ate in the specialty that night? Who knows? Compared to the 20ish gal I saw in the Piano bar later that night in Daisy Dukes and a halter top, well, for sure-she was an improvement.

I think Happy KS said it best. A lot of things that us over 45 find not acceptable may be acceptable. At least it seems younger women wear those shorts that go to the knees to offices, etc. and compared to pencil skirts that hit at the knees and hike up when you sit down, I am sure those shorts are more modest and so, more comfortable for the wearer.

I still wonder though, is something that is considered appropriate office wear, would that be appropriate for after 5 wear?

Curt seems to know the fashion trends and I think he works in the fashion field-Curt what do you think?

It's appalling to me to see how many professionals don't dress professional. I think you can blame "business casual" for that..nobody ever defined what it meant and some people took the casual word of things too far. Was looking at photos of my mom from her high school days..she looked like Rita Hayworth in her heels, dress, fur coat..much older than 17...it's amazing how clothing trends have changed. Maybe they had to go to more lengths to dress so fine but they sure did look fine. As a child, I can remember her and lady friends even talking about how important it was to have a girdle on for smooth lines and they never complained about how uncomfortable it was..they just cared about how they looked. It's funny to me, too, how a woman will put up with sheer torture to wear a pair of shoes just because they look good..but they won't be inconveinced by wearing something appropriate or ironing their clothes..LOL

On my HAL Westerdam cruise I saw a woman, (young compared to me) 30ish, who wore wool tweed walking shorts will heels,chunky gold and amber jewelry (she was in shades of browns) and a silky blouse on one of the formal nights. She looked attractive, but to me, not dressed up enough for formal night. I thought she would have been fine for a trendy upscale restaurant though-perhaps she ate in the specialty that night? Who knows? Compared to the 20ish gal I saw in the Piano bar later that night in Daisy Dukes and a halter top, well, for sure-she was an improvement.

I think Happy KS said it best. A lot of things that us over 45 find not acceptable may be acceptable. At least it seems younger women wear those shorts that go to the knees to offices, etc. and compared to pencil skirts that hit at the knees and hike up when you sit down, I am sure those shorts are more modest and so, more comfortable for the wearer.

I still wonder though, is something that is considered appropriate office wear, would that be appropriate for after 5 wear?

Curt seems to know the fashion trends and I think he works in the fashion field-Curt what do you think?

It's appalling to me to see how many professionals don't dress professional. I think you can blame "business casual" for that..nobody ever defined what it meant and some people took the casual word of things too far.

I totally agree. Before My company relaxed the dress code, we were business casual. You should have seen some of the stuff folks wore. I'm sure they though because it meshed with the dress code, it was ok to wear to work. Boy, were they wrong!

Archived