dress shorts in the main dining room?

TNTwiggy

I was wondering, with the new styles of today, if dressy shorts and a dress top with heels were ok in the main dining room? The outfit I am talking about would be much dressier than say a sundress and flat sandals which I assume is fine for the MDR. This is our first cruise and want to make sure we follow the rules with our dress and I read where shorts are not allowed. Also wondering if dressy jeans are ok on a casual night?

Are the dining rooms cold enough that we would need a jacket or sweater with a sleeveless dress/top?

Thanks!

I was wondering, with the new styles of today, if dressy shorts and a dress top with heels were ok in the main dining room? The outfit I am talking about would be much dressier than say a sundress and flat sandals which I assume is fine for the MDR. This is our first cruise and want to make sure we follow the rules with our dress and I read where shorts are not allowed. Also wondering if dressy jeans are ok on a casual night?

Are the dining rooms cold enough that we would need a jacket or sweater with a sleeveless dress/top?

Thanks!

What cruiseline? Personally, I would not wear shorts to dinner.

Each line has their own rules. Not saying everyone follows them or doesn't, but just saying every cruiseline is different.

One of my jobs has a fairly strict dress code, yet younger women wear "dress" shorts. They look out of place to me, but I'm old enough to be their mother, so what do I know?

It does depend on the cruise line, many say no shorts, I think Carnival is OK with them.

Dressy jeans are fine on some cruise lines, so it does depend which one you are sailing.

As far as getting cold in the dining room, I never do but others are freezing. We all have our comfort level and I don't start to feel chilled until everyone else is wearing hats and gloves. Of course, in CA that is at around 55 degrees :p

I'm with Lois on this---I would never wear shorts in the dining room for dinner. These dining rooms are very elegant in terms of look and style and I personally think shorts are for something less elegant. And, some lines prohibit shorts in the dining room after 6pm If you're on Carnival, NCL or Costa, shorts might be OK, but on any other line, it's not the best idea.

It's just like those who say that just because they might pay $600 for a pair of jeans, so that makes it alright to wear jeans, even though some lines specifically say no jeans at night. Shorts are shorts, regardless if some might say dressy or not---they're still shorts.

Those "dressy" shorts....Bermuda length...with a jacket is fine on any cruise line for "casual" nights... NOTE: CASUAL!!!!! Many of those shorts sets are totally hip and appropriate for a casual dinner anywhere. Heels make the outfit! You'll look stunning!

Here is one explanation: Bermuda Shorts, also known as walking shorts or dress shorts, are a particular type of short trousers, now widely worn as semi-casual attire by both men and women. The hem can be cuffed or un-cuffed, around one inch above the knee.

Carnival specifically state that dress shorts may be worn on the non-elegant nights in the dining room. RCCL does not and I believe mentions no shorts.

Dressy jeans will be just fine. It can get really cold in the public areas of some ships so I would bring a sweater/wrap that will go with what you plan to wear just in case.

Here is one explanation: Bermuda Shorts, also known as walking shorts or dress shorts, are a particular type of short trousers, now widely worn as semi-casual attire by both men and women. The hem can be cuffed or un-cuffed, around one inch above the knee.

Carnival specifically state that dress shorts may be worn on the non-elegant nights in the dining room. RCCL does not and I believe mentions no shorts.

Dressy jeans will be just fine. It can get really cold in the public areas of some ships so I would bring a sweater/wrap that will go with what you plan to wear just in case.

I have several pairs of very nice long "dressy" shorts and I do wear them but do not consider them proper attire for dining on any cruiseline but to each his own.

I wore dress shorts with a bling bling top and kitten heel sandals and did not feel out of place. You can dress the outfit up with jewelry and a splashy top. My shorts did not have a cuff. They were dress pants cut off, more or less. Very nice material. Not cotton.

Some wear dress pants with a casual top and I looked more dressed up than they did.

But like they said, to each his own.

I have a pair of "dress shorts" , they are linen and come to the middle of my knee, I am planning on wearing them on casual night for dinner, white linen with a very dressy blue/green silk top with some bling around the neck and white dressy sandles and earrings to match the top,

I am 62 years old and have worn them to Dinners down south so I think I will be just fine,

sailorwife:)

To me, "dress shorts" is an oxymoron, but I think the same about "dressy jeans." I am perfectly aware of the current styles for these two items to be possibly dressier than other shorts and jeans, but they are what they are. However, many lines now state that jeans are acceptable for the MDR on casual nights, and therefore they would be appropriate. But if the dresscode says no shorts, that means the dressy ones, too (IMO).

Hi Carmen; I would never wear shorts if the dress code said no shorts, I sold high end Ladies Fashions for years and please do not think I am being rude but dress shorts are proper attire for casual nights, on Carnival they are but I have also sailed on Celebrity and I would never wear shorts to the Dining Room, I always dresses up, for our Carnival cruise, I will be formal on two nights but the first and last night it is going to be shorts, dress shorts and the other nights I will be in skirts or dresses,

Happy Sailing Everyone

sailorwife

Joan:)

Exactly. Great post. The problem is, no matter what you advise people, they start "interpreting" the so called rules to make it so it's ok in their mind to wear shorts or jeans.

People just don't dress proper anymore, period. You go to Europe and you see women on the street still looking pretty and fresh even if it's just in jeans and a nice sweater or top. Here in this country, people don't take pride in their appearance. Yesterday at the restaurant people for Thanksgiving people were wearing cutoffs and tank tops and this was a nice place. They looked lke slobs.

Hi Carmen; I would never wear shorts if the dress code said no shorts, I sold high end Ladies Fashions for years and please do not think I am being rude but dress shorts are proper attire for casual nights, on Carnival they are but I have also sailed on Celebrity and I would never wear shorts to the Dining Room, I always dresses up, for our Carnival cruise, I will be formal on two nights but the first and last night it is going to be shorts, dress shorts and the other nights I will be in skirts or dresses,

Happy Sailing Everyone

sailorwife

The problem I have with issues like this is that they leave the poor cruise staff (Maitre d', head waiter, whoever is at the door of the dining room) in a real quandary.

If "dress shorts" are allowed, how are they supposed to interpret that? What's to stop someone from showing up in dirty cut-offs and saying to them "Well obviously these ARE my dress shorts, and you let those other ladies wearing shorts into the dining room...."

And where does it all stop? "Dress" jeans (interpreted, as close as I can tell on these boards by how much money was paid for them) and "dress" shorts should be allowed....... So what's the next step? I can see it now: "I paid a LOT of money for my very expensive bra and I think I should be allowed to wear it in the dining room sans shirt to show it off. Will the maitre d' kick me out?"

When others respond negatively, the poster will return and say "Well, you don't understand. My bra looks soooo much better and more tasteful than all of those cheap Playtex and Bali bras out there. Why shouldn't I be allowed to show it off and wear it? After all, I paid a lot for it!" :rolleyes:

And so it goes on.....

Ladies from the Carnival site on dress code:

Casual Dining Dress Code:

Gentlemem: sport slack, khakis,jeans(no cut off) dress SHORTS(long), collared sport shirts

Ladies: casual dresses,casual skirts,or pants and blouses,summer dresses, capri pants,DRESS SHORTS,jeans(no cut off)

Not Permitted: gym shorts,basketball shorts,flip-flop, bathing suit attire cut off jeans, sleeveless shirts or baseball hats,

I do not break any rules when I cruise, on the two nights I still call them Formal as I wear long gowns as do the other 10 other Ladies with me,

These are the Dress Codes on The Carnival Site Ladies,

I was not trying to get anyone upset:o, if people read the rules then they know what to wear,

when I was on Celebrity on the first formal night there were several people in long jean skirts which I though was terriable,:eek:

Have A Good day and Happy Crusing

sailorwife:)

Excellent point. How many times do you hear someone on here asking for an opinion on a dress or an outfit that they've already made up their mind they are going to wear it anyway? A woman who does not have the body to wear a certain dress will post a pic of it here, and nobody actually tells here the dress doesn't flatter her or anything..they say things like "oh, it brings out the color of your eyes! Oh, your hair looks great with that!" etc.

The woman with the kitten heels, sparkly top, and shorts may think she looks stunning, but others are bound to roll their eyeballs. Some will like it, some won't, others will ask themselves why she ruined the outfit with the short pants.

Your post is right on the money (no pun intended!) :)

The problem I have with issues like this is that they leave the poor cruise staff (Maitre d', head waiter, whoever is at the door of the dining room) in a real quandary.

If "dress shorts" are allowed, how are they supposed to interpret that? What's to stop someone from showing up in dirty cut-offs and saying to them "Well obviously these ARE my dress shorts, and you let those other ladies wearing shorts into the dining room...."

And where does it all stop? "Dress" jeans (interpreted, as close as I can tell on these boards by how much money was paid for them) and "dress" shorts should be allowed....... So what's the next step? I can see it now: "I paid a LOT of money for my very expensive bra and I think I should be allowed to wear it in the dining room sans shirt to show it off. Will the maitre d' kick me out?"

When others respond negatively, the poster will return and say "Well, you don't understand. My bra looks soooo much better and more tasteful than all of those cheap Playtex and Bali bras out there. Why shouldn't I be allowed to show it off and wear it? After all, I paid a lot for it!" :rolleyes:

And so it goes on.....

Happy Sailing Everyone

sailorwife

I, too, worked in retail for a few years and it was a time when "dress shorts" were a thing. Honestly, the only time I even remotely saw them as being dressy was when they were worn with a tailored jacket (sometimes the same fabric as the shorts) - but that's more of a corporate look to me, and not one that was very accepted here. Still not something I (personally) would wear to a restaurant with table cloths, even on a cruise ship - even on Carnival. But again, our opinions were asked for on this thread, and that's mine.

Archived