How rough does it get?

Belease

I'm getting married next year and I've always wanted to go on a cruise to the Caribbean with my soon-to-be husband. We're going to go away at the beginning of August, and I've sailed on one Princess cruise before, from Southampton to New York during September a few years ago. On that cruise I experienced no sea sickness whatsoever, but now I'm starting to worry that it might not be the same case for a Caribbean cruise in August. Can anyone let me know whether there will be any sea sickness from this kind of trip? I'm looking at going on the Emerald Princess at the moment... Is it big enough to be stable? :confused:

Unless you happen to catch an unlucky break and are sailing the Caribbean with one of our many tropical storms that pop up that time of year the sailing should be faily smooth. Most of my cruises to the Caribbean have been between flat seas and 10-15 foot waves (which have basically no impact on the ship). There have been a couple of days with 30-40 foot waves and those definitely rock the ship, there were a lot of really green people then. People were downing Dramamine like it was candy... Nothing is a definite, but if crossing the North Pacific didn't bother you then the Caribbean should be fine.

I believe Coracii meant the North Atlantic.

The North Pacific is a long ways from the Southampton New York route.

Both the Atlantic and the Pacific can change in a very short time, and go from smooth to very rough!

I've crossed both several times, and have seen many different sea states.

There is no way of telling if your chosen itineary will be calm or rough. The sea can change within a matter of minutes on any given sailing. Most hope for calm seas, but there is just never a way to tell in advance. We have sailed on some itinerarys where it was known to be very rough most of the time, and had calm seas, and vice versa. Enjoy!

I believe Coracii meant the North Atlantic.

The North Pacific is a long ways from the Southampton New York route.

Both the Atlantic and the Pacific can change in a very short time, and go from smooth to very rough!

I've crossed both several times, and have seen many different sea states.

You're correct, I'm typing without thinking... I'm travelling to French Polynesia (Niau Island) in a few months and have my mind set on the Pacific right now.

Was on the Emerald 10/27/07, hit hurricane Noel out of Princess Cays, wow strong winds/rain, I believe just shy of a force #2 hurricane. The ship went right through it, we had lots of fun. Not many out during that storm for MUTS but inside was fine. New stabalizers on the newer ships are not a problem, bigger issues when tied up to shore/ports, they leave before then. So I say, ;) enjoy, and note, even if you hit a big storm, the boat is moving at 20 kts, the next day will be beautiful.

August is the middle of hurricane season, so a storm is a possibility, but not as likely as September or October. The captain will avoid any storms or high seas possible, to the extent of changing your itinerary from the Eastern to the Western, if necessary.

For Caribbean cruises with no tropical storms, the only rough waters are the first evening as the ship goes through the Florida Straits. The currents can cause a little disturbance, but never anything too bad.

As a precautionary measure, pack some Meclazine tablets - available over the counter at most pharmacies, but often must be requested. This is the generic for a popular sea sickness pill and much less expensive. Also, visit a health food store for ginger tablets or drops. To complete you sea sickness prevention kit, add pressure point wrist bands. We take these things with us on all cruises and have used them only once. (I think being prepared keeps sea sickness at bay. :p)

Thank you for your feedback and advice!

I've only recently experienced sea sickness to be honest - as a child I used to take ferries to the Isle of Wight from Southampton often and never got ill, mostly because it's such a short, calm crossing.

But then I went to Capri from Naples on a ferry and very nearly lost my lunch - that was a crossing and a half! Since then, when my fiance moved to France for 9 months, I've had to do English Channel crossings a fair bit and got sick a couple of times, so I'm much more cautious about it than I used to be!

I'm sure we'll be fine, but thank you for the extra information. It's better to be prepared!

I'm getting married next year and I've always wanted to go on a cruise to the Caribbean with my soon-to-be husband. We're going to go away at the beginning of August, and I've sailed on one Princess cruise before, from Southampton to New York during September a few years ago. On that cruise I experienced no sea sickness whatsoever, but now I'm starting to worry that it might not be the same case for a Caribbean cruise in August. Can anyone let me know whether there will be any sea sickness from this kind of trip? I'm looking at going on the Emerald Princess at the moment... Is it big enough to be stable? :confused:

How rough do you like it?:D

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! We are booked on the Emerald for August 1. We always vacation either the first or second week in August, and 3 of our previous cruises were in the Caribbean. Fortunately, we have never hit any storms or hurricanes, and have only experienced a little bit of motion, but nothing that bothered us. The most motion we felt was on our Norwegian Boston to Bermuda cruise two years ago. Perhaps because we were further north in the Atlantic as well as experienced some rainy, windy weather, the motion was much greater and the seas were quite rough for a couple of days. The bigger ships (like the Emerald) are pretty stable, but if you are worried about motion, a cabin in the middle of the ship would be your best bet.

Weather is very hard to predict and as has been said, when you cruise the Caribbean in August, the rates are quite low as it's during hurricane season and anything can happen. Even if you are a hundred miles away, the seas are affected so you never know.

I have been on small ships and large cruise ships in very big seas, and never had a problem. Never. But when I took the catamaran from Newport Beach to Catalina a few years ago, it was awful. Probably because everyone else was sick. I wound up standing outside on deck and was fine but that's the only time I've ever been seasick.

coracil

not sure which ship you were on when 12-15' waves werent felt??

was on satr in south pacific this year and had a whole day of 12' seas

all the outside doors were locked, no one allowed on deck, and i can tell you for sure that ship was bouncing around

belease

you will hava great cruise and wedding

dont worry bout it

Weather is very hard to predict and as has been said, when you cruise the Caribbean in August, the rates are quite low as it's during hurricane season and anything can happen. Even if you are a hundred miles away, the seas are affected so you never know.

I'd like to add that the rates for the 3rd and 4th weeks in August are lower than the 1st and 2nd weeks - the further into August you go in the Caribbean, the less you'll pay.:)

coracil

not sure which ship you were on when 12-15' waves werent felt??

was on satr in south pacific this year and had a whole day of 12' seas

all the outside doors were locked, no one allowed on deck, and i can tell you for sure that ship was bouncing around

It's been the two Disney ships multiple times each, a couple of times on the Emerald Princess, RCCI Serenade of the Seas, and Carnival Liberty. Having 10-15 foot seas in the Caribbean really isn't all that uncommon for short stretches during storm season and only a few people on the ships seem to have a reaction at that point. For the most part, 10 foot waves don't shut the ship down. The stabilizers on the bigger ships do a great job controlling the motion.

When I did my maritime meteorolgy classes / exams the phrase we were told - in respect of Caribbean TRS's was ~

June = Too Soon

July = They Try

August = The Must

September = Remember!

They also said that the only thing certain about a TRS was it's uncertainty. You just cannot predict with absolute certainty what one will do. Normally they set off east to west and turn north east. Once we went south of one and it did the exact opposite and turned to the south. That caused a few raised eyebrows before it changed its mind again ;)

With todays modern technology there should be no problem in avoiding them - and that will probably come back and bite me on the bum!

Personally I wouldn't worry about it - if it gets rough it gets rough :D and watching 'greenies' come over the bow is good fun - not that anything like that would be allowed to happen on a passenger vessel :(

With todays modern technology there should be no problem in avoiding them - and that will probably come back and bite me on the bum!

Personally I wouldn't worry about it - if it gets rough it gets rough :D and watching 'greenies' come over the bow is good fun - not that anything like that would be allowed to happen on a passenger vessel :(

Even with advance warning, they can still spring a nasty surprise. :( Like you, I kind of like to feel the motion of a ship as it reminds me that I'm actually on a ship.

My wife and I went on our first cruise last February to the eastern Caribbean. We had a smooth ride until the last night on the way back into Puerto Rico. We sailed through a storm that really rocked the ship pretty good. I'm prone to sea sickness and took Bonine the whole week as a precaution, but I think I would have been fine without it. I had no issues at all even in the storm. My in-laws have been cruising for years during various months and this was only the second really rough time they had experienced. I really don't think you can predict it, but normally the Caribbean Sea is usually pretty calm.

as someone who gets very mtion sick, i would suggest that unless you have actually been so sick that you are one of the ones turning green (i have been) you can't begin t;o realize how terrible it is! from what I am reading, you don't want to be sick on your honeymoon, of all cruises; yet you do know that you get seasick now (i too started getting seasick only as i got older)

i would highly recomend prevention and take a 24 hour dramamine every morning, including the morning you are getting on the ship so it has time to kick in; it doens't make you drwsy ( it says nondrowsy on the label and would agree) you cold also wear the patch, but i have no experience with that, but myhusband wears it and does well; also, as someone mentioned, there is bonine, but i don't know if it comes in non-drowsy like dramamine; you could always take just half of a pill and then take the full one if a storm kiccks in; at any rate, i think that this is not the cruise to find out how you would do, save that for another one that is not your honeymoon--at any rate--good luck with your wedding and your cruise!grams98

Neither of us has ever been sea sick on a cruise ship. However we both got sick on the ferry from Newport to Block Island. The first thing we did upon disembarking in Block Island was to hit the local drug store and buy Dramamine. Since that time, we always carry the Dramamine when ever we travel. If you think you will get sick there is a good chance you will. I've been there. As the other posters have said take the Dramamine when you board. In a few days you will probably realize that you no longer need it. Enjoy the cruise you'll be fine and good luck!

There seems to be lots of questions on over the counter medications taken to prevent motion sickness, nausea and vomiting. I did a little research on the two most popular over the counter formulations; Dramamine Original and Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL and offer the following. I am not a doctor or pharmacist. I just looked up the information on the internet.

Dramamine Original

Average cost: $4 for 12 pills

Active ingredient: 50mg Dimenhydrinate

Drug class: Antihistamine

Uses:

Reduces allergic symptoms such as hay fever, hives, rash or itching;

Prevents motion sickness, nausea, vomiting;

Relieves symptoms associated with the common cold;

Induces sleep.

What the drug does:

Blocks action of histamine after an allergic response triggers histamine release in sensitive cells. Histamines cause itching, sneezing, runny nose and eyes and other symptoms.

Appears to work in the vomiting center of the brain to control nausea and vomiting and help prevent motion sickness.

Skin and Sunlight: May cause rash or intensify sunburn in areas exposed to the sun.

Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL

Average cost:

Dramamine Less Drowsy: $4 for 8 Pills

Bonine: $7 for 16 pills

Meclizine HCL: $7 for 100 pills

Active Ingredient in all three: 25mg Meclizine Hydrocloride

Drug class: Antiemetic, antihistamine, anti-motion sickness.

Uses: Prevents motion sickness and treatment for Vertigo.

What the drug does:

Reduces sensitivity of nerve endings in inner ear and blocks messages to brain’s vomiting center.

Skin and sunlight: No problems expected.

As you can see, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Bonine and Meclizine HCL are identical. You are paying for the “Brand” name. Buying the generic Meclizine HCL will save you a whole bunch of money.

Archived