How long to get your land legs back?

Cruizlovers

Hi all, we are on the Equinox in December for 10 days. The last cruise we were on was in March, the RCL Voyager. It took me over two weeks to get my land legs back! My equilibrium was apparently off and I felt like I was still on the ship it seemed like forever! It was frustrating, however not so much to keep me from cruising again. Anyone ever experience this? Any ideas how to treat or prevent it? Thanks in advance!

Sometimes, a decongestant will help...but it can take anywhere from a day to a couple weeks for this "sensation" to subside.....mine only occurred in small spaces...showers, closets, etc!!!

And, it didn't happen on every cruise....odd!

It takes me over a week to get my land legs back each time I cruise. I cruise with my mom and husband and neither of them have this issue. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the Bonine that I take each day of the cruise (they don't take it). I don't find it especially bothersome, just a weird feeling that eventually goes away.

I don't take medication either and it takes me a good 2 weeks, as well to get back to normal. In the shower, the room spins and I'm holding on for dear life. My husband has no problem.

I teach first grade and maneuvering around the chairs and little desks isn't easy after a cruise...but soooo worth it!

We're sailing next Spring Break, so here it goes again...I wish there was something to stop it.

Phyllis

I thought I was the only one who took forever to get my land legs back. I tend to be a little dizzy anyway, but not on the ship, I have no problem at sea, but once off, wow, so dizzy for weeks after. That isn't going to stop me though, it is soooo worth it.:D

Kris

31 cruises and I haven’t experienced “sea legs” in at least 10 years. I don’t know if it 300+ days on cruise ships or the newer the ships the less the movement.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

Crystal – Serenity, December 10, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

• 2 years later...
I found that a nasal decongestant spray helps. Start taking it a few days before the cruise, on the cruise, and when you get home:D

Not a good idea. Inappropriate over-use of nasal decongestant spray will result in drug dependence.

Sometimes, a decongestant will help...but it can take anywhere from a day to a couple weeks for this "sensation" to subside.....mine only occurred in small spaces...showers, closets, etc!!!

And, it didn't happen on every cruise....odd!

I think it's very random. I've been used to being on the water in anything from tiny dinghies up to large cruise ships and the only time I've ever suffered from it was after a week's vacation in Venice. I finally worked out that it wasn't being on the water buses that had affected me, it was the time spent waiting on the floating water bus 'stops'. The bobbing up and down motion when a boat goes past is a bit unusual.

This thread is three years old.

Keith

So it is! I usually check before I post. It's intriguing how these threads get reactivated from time to time. At least this one will presumably be as useful (or not) as when it started.

I returned from a 10-day Alaska cruise out of San Francisco last week, and after 4-5 days the sensation of the room in motion or the floor heaving while walking has gradually faded to nearly nothing. I walk outdoors an hour (about 3 miles) daily, have been driving the car around town and have been getting adequate sleep. All appear to help retrain the inner ear and leg reflexes — no drugs involved. :)

For more on this subject, search on "disembarkation syndrome", "disembarkation sickness" or "mal de debarquement" (mal de débarquement, MdDS), etc.

For more on this subject, search on "disembarkation syndrome", "disembarkation sickness" or "mal de debarquement" (mal de débarquement, MdDS), etc.

Also known as "dock rock", to those of us who chronically suffer from it. The severity (at least in my case) does seem to be related to the length of the cruise. I'm the only person I know who only requires dramamine when they get off the ship! ;)

It takes me over a week to get my land legs back each time I cruise. I cruise with my mom and husband and neither of them have this issue. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the Bonine that I take each day of the cruise (they don't take it). I don't find it especially bothersome' date=' just a weird feeling that eventually goes away.[/quote']

First cruise on a smaller ship yea for a day or two. Others on arger ships, nothing. No way to reove ut but I had a medical person, not MD, tell me a possble side effect on some persons taking anti-motion medicine could be dizziness

I do get "dock rock" not in ports along the way, even with an overnighter but when I disembark at the end of the cruise and then only after we are home and I have to face unpacking.

I have suffered with this for a week or so after each of my prior cruises. I expect to feel it at least that long again as I travel on my first 7 nighter coming up in February! I have nerve deafness as well as no depth perception due to strabismus " lazy eye" Both of these conditions probably contribute in my situation! But, as others here have said, it is worth it to me! :)

Hi all, we are on the Equinox in December for 10 days. The last cruise we were on was in March, the RCL Voyager. It took me over two weeks to get my land legs back! My equilibrium was apparently off and I felt like I was still on the ship it seemed like forever! It was frustrating, however not so much to keep me from cruising again. Anyone ever experience this? Any ideas how to treat or prevent it? Thanks in advance!

Check out this reference. BTW - I get this sometime but it is not serious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_de_debarquement

"Mal de debarquement (or Mal de débarquement) syndrome (MdDS, or disembarkment syndrome) is a rare condition usually occurring after a cruise, aircraft flight, or other sustained motion event. It has only recently received attention and very little scientific research has been conducted. The phrase "mal de débarquement" is French for "disembarkation sickness".

Symptoms most frequently reported include a persistent sensation of motion usually described as rocking, swaying, or bobbing; difficulty maintaining balance; extreme fatigue; and difficulty concentrating ("brain fog"). Other common symptoms include dizziness, visual disturbances (such as seeing motion, inability to focus etc.), headaches and/or migraine headaches, confusion, and anxiety. Many patients also describe ear symptoms such as hyperacusis, tinnitus, "fullness", pain, or even decreased hearing. Cognitive impairment ("brain fog") includes an inability to recall words, short term memory loss, and an inability to multi-task.

Interestingly, the condition often abates when the patient is in motion such as in a car, train, plane, or boat. Symptoms are increased by stress, lack of sleep, crowds, flickering lights, loud sounds, fast or sudden movements, enclosed areas or busy patterns.

In MdDS, the symptoms persist for more than a month, possibly for many years, and sometimes do not resolve at all. This differs from the very common condition of "land sickness" that most people feel for a short time after a motion event such as a boat cruise, aircraft ride, or even a treadmill routine.

MdDS is thought to be a neurological syndrome with no known cause or cure. Research is being undertaken into the neurological nature of this syndrome through imaging studies."

DON

Archived