Air Gorilla - Oasis

sail7seas

I too will be boarding a ship on the 16th of January except it will be the Crown Princess. It will certainly be interesting as to what extent we will be impacted. I will be comparing it to when we sailed on the Eurodam last December. My guess is that by the time we sail Port Everglades will have a good handle on what is going to be happening with the crowds. There actually have been days when there were far more ships docked in Port Everglades than what the upcoming Saturdays will be. If you take a look at the upcoming season you will see that Sundays for the most part have far more ships in port than Saturdays just the difference of 3 more ships will make up what the Oasis will bring in. So my honest opinion there will be little to no impact.

We spoke with people who will have to work the port when Oasis is in port and not. They have already been informed of the disruptions and changes they will have to cope with. These people are not talking theory but reality. It will have a major impact. That is not to say that all the ships will not all still be loaded, stores brought aboard and all will sail but to pretend this behemoth will quiety go about it's business with no disruption to others simply is not reality. They have already rerouted supply vehicles and taxis and in some cases by a distance of 2 miles and there has yet to be a revenue cruise.

As far as the airport, I wonder if more flights to FLL have been added for Saturdays when she is in port. The airlines have cut the numbre of flights/seats so there are just so many flights. Doesn't matter from where the numbers come, whether from one ship or a combo of many, unless the airlines added a few flights, when the seats are full, that is all there is.

We sail Eurodam on a Saturday when Oasis will be disembarking/embarking and it will be an apples to apples comparison for us as we sailed Eurodam in March boarding in FLL.. I fully expect minor to major inconvenience. Seeing as we always arrive in embarkation city two days ahead, hopefully, we will have to use patience but should be fine. I will certainly report here about our experience but have no illusions we won't 'notice' there is a monster in port 'pushing its weight around.'. :)

LAFFNVEGAS:

You mentioned you are sailing on the Crown Princess in the near future. If she is at berthed at pier 2 or pier 4 (somewhat likely, but not guaranteed for a Princess ship) you might want to try entering Pt. Everglades via rt 84 (aka Spangler Blvd) or off of SE 17 St across from the Renaissance hotel and a bit inland from Pier 66). The largest security gate, just off of I-595, is much further south, and you would need to pass pier 18 (the new super pier) to get up to Piers 2 and 4. The gate by I-595 still would seem to be the best bet for getting to the typical HAL piers (26, 19, and 29). Here is a link to a map:

http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/media/docs/Port-Map-2009.pdf

Sail (and LAFFNVEGAS):

For anyone who needs a link to the Pt. Everglades ship schedule, try this:

http://www.porteverglades.net/about-us/ship-schedule/

I wish you all fair winds, following seas, and zero port area traffic jams!

This is great advice and I shall ask the taxi driver to go that route to Pier 26 (assuming that is where Eurodam will be). Thankfully, when we sail Maasdam in April, Oasis will not be in port.

Thank you for the ship schedule link. I was sorry to have lost it. :)

We are cruising on the Eurodam on the same day as Oasis of the Seas, so we will see. We always fly in the day before, stay at the Embassy Suites, have the hotel take us to the ship, so don't anticipate any problem going. Luckily, we are staying two days afterwards, so will not worry about getting a taxi and making air connections after the cruise. We always fly in and out of Miami, because we can get a nonstop flight from San Francisco.

We are cruising on the Eurodam on the same day as Oasis of the Seas, so we will see. We always fly in the day before, stay at the Embassy Suites, have the hotel take us to the ship, so don't anticipate any problem going. Luckily, we are staying two days afterwards, so will not worry about getting a taxi and making air connections after the cruise. We always fly in and out of Miami, because we can get a nonstop flight from San Francisco.

Are you talking about the Embassy Suites in Ft Lauderdale where you stay?

If so -- they haven't had their own shuttles since the winter of 2008. You have to sign up and pay for shuttle service via a company through the concierge. We just take a taxi from there to the pier.

LAFFNVEGAS:

You mentioned you are sailing on the Crown Princess in the near future. If she is at berthed at pier 2 or pier 4 (somewhat likely, but not guaranteed for a Princess ship) you might want to try entering Pt. Everglades via rt 84 (aka Spangler Blvd) or off of SE 17 St across from the Renaissance hotel and a bit inland from Pier 66). The largest security gate, just off of I-595, is much further south, and you would need to pass pier 18 (the new super pier) to get up to Piers 2 and 4. The gate by I-595 still would seem to be the best bet for getting to the typical HAL piers (26, 19, and 29). Here is a link to a map:

http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/media/docs/Port-Map-2009.pdf

Sail (and LAFFNVEGAS):

For anyone who needs a link to the Pt. Everglades ship schedule, try this:

http://www.porteverglades.net/about-us/ship-schedule/

I wish you all fair winds, following seas, and zero port area traffic jams!

Thanks :) Last time we were in FLL in April this year we took a taxi from the Embassy Suites and that was the exact route they took us. In 7 weeks we will be staying at Hyatt Place this time (across the street from the Embassy Suites on No 17th and plan to take advantage of the their free shuttle service. I would assume that this driver will use the same route since it actually is much closer. Although if the shuttle seems too packed or not going when we want I am sure we may grab a taxi but we are going with another couple fcorey from here on CC so not sure we could all get in a taxi unless it was a van type to hold all of our luggage.

Everyone is assuming that every Oasis cruise will be sold out. I understand they are having trouble selling the first cruise! Remember supply and demand will ultimately tell the story. Are there really 6,000 more people willing to pay more for this experience? My guess is that some of the extra passengers will come from other ships so that the total actual increase in passengers leaving from FLL on any given Saturday may be only a few hundred to a thousand.

Everyone is assuming that every Oasis cruise will be sold out. I understand they are having trouble selling the first cruise! Remember supply and demand will ultimately tell the story. Are there really 6,000 more people willing to pay more for this experience? My guess is that some of the extra passengers will come from other ships so that the total actual increase in passengers leaving from FLL on any given Saturday may be only a few hundred to a thousand.

I agree totally. Plus on most Saturdays the numbers of ships in port are actually 2 or 3 less than many Sundays and if many of the other larger ships like RCI, Princess and CCL that hold over 3000 or more than it only take two ships to equal what the Oasis is carrying. That is why I am saying that it really will not be drastically different compared to any of the days in the past when Port Everglades was to max capacity. We all seem to assume that Port Everglades has never had that many passengers embark and disembark in one day. I would tend to bet they have on many occiasions;) I am willing to bet there will not be that big of an impact.

DC3, 707,767747A380 The Oasis will have it's place on the sea - and as I would love to fly in an SQ or QA or even better yet when Branson's suite when the product is available - the Oasis I may try. On the surface not my idea of a cruise - but from Captain Mikes ships of horror to the old Queens grill on a crossing - the Oasis is a warm weather holiday on a cold winter day.

"Plus on most Saturdays the numbers of ships in port are actually 2 or 3 less than many Sundays...."

I sailed out of Port Everglades on Sat 11.14.09 and there were 7 other ships sailing with us that day. Don't know why you think Sun is busier than Sat. :confused:

Happy Sailing!

"Plus on most Saturdays the numbers of ships in port are actually 2 or 3 less than many Sundays...."

I sailed out of Port Everglades on Sat 11.14.09 and there were 7 other ships sailing with us that day. Don't know why you think Sun is busier than Sat. :confused:

Happy Sailing!

I am not saying always but SOME Sundays. There have even been some Saturdays PRE Oaisis that have had far more ships in port that what the upcoming year appears to have for Saturdays.

Here is one example of an upcoming weekend that I cound a few more ships on Sunday ;)

Saturday - 12/19/2009Carnival FreedomCosta AtlanticaCrown PrincessDiscovery SunEurodamOasis of the SeasSunday - 12/20/2009Celebrity SolsticeCosta FortunaDiscovery SunEmerald PrincessIndependence of the SeasMSC PoesiaSilver ShadowWesterdam

Then there is the following weekend

Saturday - 12/26/2009Costa AtlanticaCrown PrincessDiscovery SunEurodamIndependence of the SeasOasis of the SeasSunday - 12/27/2009Carnival FreedomCelebrity SolsticeCosta FortunaDiscovery SunEmerald PrincessMSC PoesiaWesterdam

Then there is this three day weekend Monday looks pretty heavy to me as well the Equinox and Independence of the Seas is not exactly a small ship :rolleyes:

Saturday - 1/2/2010Carnival FreedomCosta AtlanticaCrown PrincessDiscovery SunEurodamOasis of the SeasRoyal PrincessZuiderdamSunday - 1/3/2010Celebrity SolsticeCosta FortunaDiscovery SunEmerald PrincessIndependence of the SeasMSC PoesiaWesterdamMonday - 1/4/2010Bahamas CelebrationCelebrity EquinoxDiscovery SunGrand PrincessNoordamPrinsendamSeabourne LegendSeabourne SpiritSilver Shadow

If you go thru and count the passenger go in and out of Port Everglades on these other days I would tend to bet it would not be drastically more.

The difference, Lisa, is when there are two ships of 3,000 guests, the traffic and congestion is shared at two terminals. When there are 6,000 on one ship, everything is centralized right at that one terminal. :eek:

The difference, Lisa, is when there are two ships of 3,000 guests, the traffic and congestion is shared at two terminals. When there are 6,000 on one ship, everything is centralized right at that one terminal. :eek:

Sail it is my understanding that there are no other ships docking close to terminal 18 they rebuilt that whole area for JUST the Oasis of the Seas. Before that time in years past there were two ships that docked right in that area. I just think we are all so centered on the fact that it has 6000 passengers, I think we just need to think of it as two ships docked at pier 17 and 18 :D

The same goes for when this ship is in port, I believe in ports like St Thomas she and maybe two other ships will be in port. I have been to St Thomas when there were 5 or more ships in port. We just need to think of her as two big ships.

In all honesty I think unless you are sailing on the ship there will be no need to worry about how many passengers will be effecting your cruise. I think we are all so fixated on her size and believe that she will make this huge impact. I honestly do not think this will happen. You talk to any one that has sailed on one of the large RCI ships and they will tell you that embarkation and debarkation was a breeze. I think they may have had a bit of practice;) Last weekend with 2400 passengers disembarking the NCL Star it was by far the easiest disembarkation we have ever encountered, and the very worst I have had this past year was the Statendam with only 1200 passengers. That took four times longer, it was hot, misrable and everyone was complaining.

We were just in FLL and saw Oasis both before and after our cruise. She was docked at the new terminal built for her and it is at right angle to where Celebrity often docks. The Princess dock is on the same side and one of the Grand class ships was in. Oasis is not off alone, by herself. When she sailed, she completely filled Port Everglades. From our front facing balcony looking directly down on her, we could see nothing of Port Everglades but her heading to the channel. Big doesn't begin to describe that ship. It is a gross understatement. :D

I am just repeating what we were told by people who work at Port Everglades. They work there everyday and are very much better informed and knowledgeable on this subject than I am.

having just come off one of Oasis' preview cruises, I can not think of how the ship will manage 6000 passengers, let alone the impact on a port, especially with other ships in (poor St Thomas!). She was an engineering marvel, but you would never know you were on a ship, everything faces inward and most of the public room have no windows. She is a good floating resort as an alternative to a vegas vacation, but for a cruise I'd pick a smaller ship with windows!

We'll let you know about the first BIG test for St. Thomas on 12/8. We'll be on the new Carnival Dream that docks there on December 8th along with 5 other ships including Oasis! We are planning to enjoy the day simply on the ship but we want to watch at 1800 hrs when ALL 6 ships are scheduled for departure at the same time. Even with the several different docking areas it should be fun to watch.

We arrived from a TA on Celebrity Equinox on November 19. Oasis also came in. We had a terrible disembarkation. I heard that the problem was that Oasis was using our berth and not the newly built terminal. We disembarked at ground level and walked quite a ways through construction to a small terminal. Too small for Equinox. Oasis dwarfed the other RCCL ship next to it.

Modern Viking......

I just went to the Port Everglades site and can only get the schedule of ships in today. Is there a way to get schedules for dates in the future? Thank you.

Sail,

For the past 5 years, I don't think I have seen more than about 3 days advanced notice on the Port Everglades Dockmaster's web site. Perhaps you previously used a different web site? Did it also list the pier assignment numbers or just list the ships in port without the pier number? Maybe it was something more like this:

http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=212

1cruiselvr U R Funny! , LMAO That is a great!! Next Year her twin sister will arrive will call her "Pig II of Seas" :D

After Behemoth Of The Seas and her sister Gargantua Of The Seas, I have evolved into calling them:

Godzilla Of The Seas

and

Mothra Of The Seas

Any Complaints ? :confused: :confused: :p

From a sister site, who is probably known as a destination expert..

Just got back from our viewing! You are shuttled to an area inside the Port where you are right across a little inlet of water from Pier 18 where Oasis is berthed. The shuttle lets everyone off and you can stay as long as you wish to take pictures and just catch another shuttle when you are done. There was a continual processionof shuttles so no one seemed to have to wait long. It was something to see! We doubt we'll ever actually be on it as we have already done the Carribean twice and we don't have any desire to go back ( all those islands look pretty much alike to me, I'm afraid). So since it is sailing the Carribean year round , we probably will never be passengers. Only other ships in port were the Seabourn ( small, sleek and beautiful) ansd the Celebratiion ( a dinky little junk heap.)

On our drive up the beach coming home we saw the snowbirds out in force sunbathing- it really is pretty nice out right now.:p

Port Everglades reroutes the taxis to a staging area where they are then dispatched to the terminals. Trucks buses are rerouted so they do not have to wait with all the other personal vehicles entering the Port. It is called expediting or being treated like a VIP.

Terminal 18 is not next to any other terminal and will not effect the other embarks/debarks.

http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/

After Behemoth Of The Seas and her sister Gargantua Of The Seas, I have evolved into calling them:

Godzilla Of The Seas

and

Mothra Of The Seas

Any Complaints ? :confused: :confused: :p

Not from me!

You are well aware that I saw the Oasis when I disembarked from the Rotterdam on 11/18. I said at the time that it would be difficult for me to walk from port to starboard, let alone fore to aft.

That is one big mass of metal.

We arrived in FLL on 11/14 for our 11/15 Westerdam cruise and it took forever to get to Hyatt Pier 66, the traffic was just awful.

DH and I asked the driver why so many people were lined up on the bridge and why it was so crowded... well, it was the Oasis.

Next day, we went to Port Everglades and noticed many portable signs indicating "NO access for viewing the Oasis" and saw several people being turned away.

We saw it - thought it quite large and frankly, ugly - and really wondered about all the appeal.

Our hotel was packed with TA's waiting to board for the free sailing and one night we sat in the bar and listened to many first time cruisers rave about the "ship". :rolleyes:

It's not for me - not in a million years.

Archived