Please skip this Caribbean port

eyeeye

I am a firm believer that if you didn't like a port then you just didn't do your homework and find the right thing for you.

Unless you got robbed at gunpoint during your port stop ;) there is really no real reason to skip ports. All countries have their own unique experiences. Someone that just steps off the ship in the port area (which is often not very attractive areas) and just says "I'm here. This is it. Now what?" is not going to have a very good time, no matter the port.

I agree 100%. I have so many Caribbean guide books. Amazon adores me!! Between book and on-line research, I'm familiar with every port I'm about to visit and what activities or sights would be of interest to me.

I also agree that, even if you do your homework, you can be pleasantly suprirsed by a port you expected to hate. It has happened to me twice.

Like LuckyPrincess, I tend to like more active excursions in the ports. (Although the older I get, the more I intersperse relaxing beach days into my plan!) I thought I'd hate Labadee. I wasn't going to pay $85 to do a zip line and there really were no other interesting activities. But we loved Labadee. It was quiet, relaxing and absolutely beautiful. It was a first stop and a nice way to EASE into our cruise.

For years, I avoided any cruise that visited Ochos Rios. Heard nothing but bad things about that port. Didn't have any interest in visiting. But I went there in January, because my traveling companion had an urge to climb Dunns River Falls, and we had a wonderful time. It was a beautiful place. We stayed in safe, touristy locations, but it ended up being my favorite port on the cruise!

Give every port a chance. Some may disappoint, but more may surprise you in a good way!!

As a cruiser of 20+ voyages mainly in the Caribbean, my wife and I were discussing where we would prefer NOT to get off the ship. We pretty much settled on Tortola as somewhat blah with the assertive hawkers bothering us and not much to do. A HAL Captain told us that Grand Turk was not a great place either. Wondering what others are thinking? Nassau? Ocho Rios?

We stopped at Gran Turk this year and had a great beach day. The shopping area was very clean and the vendors quite nice and helpful.

For us, Ocho Rios. Never ever again will we go on a cruise that goes to that area. We had a bad experience there and learned our lesson.

It was several years ago but I loved out stop at Tortola. We took a bus to a beautiful beach which you got a great view of when you came over the hill. It was a bit of a scary ride with the winding roads but fun. We took a cab back. We got the best vacation photo of all our cruises there. I'd love to go back. I don't like Nassau and the robberies lately have got me thinking if our next cruise stops there we probably will stay on board.

We were just in Aruba last month off of the Serenade. Been there - done that and weren't even going to get off the ship. Well, to make a long story short, we got off and looked at the shops. DH found some wonderful local art ducks and it was one of his favorite purchases on the trip. You never know what you will find just around the corner in any port.

I can't imagine blowing off a stop because the beaches are too hard to get too. Our continent's history began on Hispanola - visit www godominicanrepublic com to learn a little of the history and the culture of the island. It is amazing to me that our European ancestors were able to wipe out an entire civilization in about 50 years. To learn about that and how they over came those obstacles are worth 1 day out of my life. But like all else - that is JMHO.

I hear you, and appreciate the history. Where are the museums in relation to the Samana port, though? Have to weigh against the cost of an excursion & time spent being driven, which not everyone tolerates well. That is the perspective I took in considering the op's question -- the time / cost / comfort involved in reaching points of interest, not the points themselves. I took this perspective because the Q was port rather than country-specific.

Glad to see someone other than myself was not impressed with Aruba. My DW loved it (we were cruising for her 50th birthday so it was a good thing ;) ) but I was not impressed at all. It seemed to me once you got away from the resort area, it was nothing but Aloe and cactus.

Tim

I have to say that is why I like Aruba so much. I think variety is great. And Aruba is very different from most of the other Caribbean islands that you would go to. I found the topography on the opposite side from Oranjestad to be pretty fascinating. It is just such a cool contrast from many of the other lush green tropical islands that I also very much enjoy.

Hi...in response to your port disappointment--can't the cruise lines, particularly RCCL figure out we would like DIFFERENT port choices...same old--same old. My least favorite, we did it 2 years ago was Montego Bay--you get off the ship, pay for a pricey taxi ride to a very loud and dirty town and then up at Margaritaville--nothing to do there--the shopping even sucked! We went to Mo Bay several years ago and it has since went down in shopping, attactions, etc. Negril is worth the drive and loved Ocho Rios though--thoroughly love Jamaica and its people, but would definitely not stop if I didn't have to to MO BAY again. I hope this helps!

As a cruiser of 20+ voyages mainly in the Caribbean, my wife and I were discussing where we would prefer NOT to get off the ship. We pretty much settled on Tortola as somewhat blah with the assertive hawkers bothering us and not much to do. A HAL Captain told us that Grand Turk was not a great place either. Wondering what others are thinking? Nassau? Ocho Rios?

we went to Grand Turk and loved it. There is an awesome Margaritaville there and the beach is right along side the ship, which is kind of cool.

we have been to Ocho Rios twice, the first time when we got off the ship we were bombarded by hawkers, when they discovered you weren't interested in what they were pushing they began to call you names.

We went there again in October and did not get off the ship.

Edited by cruisingjon

I was in Tortola on Celebrity Solstice in March 2009. It was raining the whole time that we were in port. The ship was only in port from 7 am to 1 pm, which was kinda disappointing. The ship was ready to go before you even have time to experience the port. I'm sure the beaches would have been beautiful. I've heard that they are but it was too rainy to do anything like that when I was there. We just walked around with our umbrellas and looked at the shops. It kinda reminded me of a sidewalk sale.

I was in Tortola on Celebrity Solstice in March 2009. It was raining the whole time that we were in port. The ship was only in port from 7 am to 1 pm, which was kinda disappointing. The ship was ready to go before you even have time to experience the port. I'm sure the beaches would have been beautiful. I've heard that they are but it was too rainy to do anything like that when I was there. We just walked around with our umbrellas and looked at the shops. It kinda reminded me of a sidewalk sale.

I'm a big fan of Tortola (next to San Juan, it's our favorite port), but a short day there is kind of worthless, in my opinion. You need time to get away from Roadtown and get to Brewer's Bay, Cane Garden, The Baths, or a daysail through the BVI. You really need a full day once you factor in the transportation time.

We've been to a lot of spots in the Caribbean. We always try to research in advance and find something that is unique to each island. So far, our only real letdown has been Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I was injured on an excursion there (broken ribs), and the vibes I got after the injury really made me feel like an unwelcome guest.

Edited by jtmalt

You really need a full day once you factor in the transportation time.

I agree with that statement. I think many of the reasons people don't enjoy a port, aside from reading about someone's negative experience and deciding it's the worst place on earth, is that the ships don't stay very long anymore. When you can arrive at a port in the morning, and depart at midnight, or even the next morning, you're almost guaranteed that there will be something to do.

People just need to get off the ship and explore! And I'm not talking about stopping a every tourist-trap of a beach at the end of the gangways, im talking about the local culture! GET OUT THERE!

Since we are all different, it not possible for the same place to hold the same appeal to everyone. The cruise ships do not wish for everyone to get off at each port. I KNOW Jamaica's infrastructure could not handle the amount of tourists if everyone loved it. The lovers and haters of each port create a balance. Montego Bay to me should NOT be a port or even a decent tourist destination. As for Ocho Rios, there are things worth seeing but do your homework. In the end whether you stay on board or leave you are apart of someone's master plan, like puppets on a string.

There is a reason Jamaica is still apart of RCCL plan with Oasis. In Falmouth people won't have much of choice but to stay run up their account. Port Antonio has a port and still the most beautiful part of the island but left untouched......do much to see and do (The Blue Lagoon, Reach and Summerst Falls, the Rio Grande)

Over 30 years I have yet to see a port as hated by Americans:eek: (not so much Canadians or Europeans) than Jamaica. Yet I have met more Americans seek that 'special something" the island is known for. On the other hand not seen another island with more passionate American lovers. I am starting to think it has to do with something in the air;)

Edited by kooljamming

I avoided visiting Ochos Rios for seven Caribbean cruises in a row. I'd heard so many negative things. In January, our cruise on Freedom of the Seas stopped there. We LOVED it. Yes, I can see why some people dislike it. However, we really loved climbing the falls and Margarittaville's was a hoot. We went down the pool slide several times!

I would not advise cruise lines to skip any port. As another poster said, we all have different tastes and sometimes you may discover you enjoy a port far more (or less) than you expected. We found we were not that impressed by Aruba, but I know it's a favorite to many.

Seeing a wide variety of ports is one of the big benefits of cruising.

I agree. The one port I dislike most on a Caribbean cruise is Cozumel. I find the place boring. Yet many others find it enjoyable.

Since we are all different, it not possible for the same place to hold the same appeal to everyone. The cruise ships do not wish for everyone to get off at each port. I KNOW Jamaica's infrastructure could not handle the amount of tourists if everyone loved it. The lovers and haters of each port create a balance. Montego Bay to me should NOT be a port or even a decent tourist destination. As for Ocho Rios, there are things worth seeing but do your homework. In the end whether you stay on board or leave you are apart of someone's master plan, like puppets on a string.

There is a reason Jamaica is still apart of RCCL plan with Oasis. In Falmouth people won't have much of choice but to stay run up their account. Port Antonio has a port and still the most beautiful part of the island but left untouched......do much to see and do (The Blue Lagoon, Reach and Summerst Falls, the Rio Grande)

Over 30 years I have yet to see a port as hated by Americans:eek: (not so much Canadians or Europeans) than Jamaica. Yet I have met more Americans seek that 'special something" the island is known for. On the other hand not seen another island with more passionate American lovers. I am starting to think it has to do with something in the air;)

Of all the places that we have cruised to, Jamaica still stands out as special to me. This island is the only reason that I would even consider doing a western Caribbean sailing again. However, I would not chose a cruise that was docking at Montego Bay. I do love Ocho Rios.

Of all the places that we have cruised to, Jamaica still stands out as special to me. This island is the only reason that I would even consider doing a western Caribbean sailing again. However, I would not chose a cruise that was docking at Montego Bay. I do love Ocho Rios.

We'll be there in January again. What is your favorite excursion?

A co-worker of mine just returned from her first cruise.

In St. Kitts they stepped off the ship, looked around, and determined there is nothing to see or do there.:rolleyes:

I just never understand the "nothing to do" response.

Me neither! Isn't that one of the nice things about being on vacation?! I don't know about anybody else, but I look forward to having NOTHING TO DO!!;)

Not with any of the ports but rather how different each poster viewed the port. I am sure the ports do in fact change. I suggest putting more stock in the posts from cruisers who have more recently visited the port. Two or three years is probably too long ago to be giving an accurate assessment.

In looking at cruise ports I also have started researching when or if Oasis will be in port. The sheer size of the Oasis must be difficult on other ships in port. Plus the ports certainly will have to 'modernize' to handle the crowds... for some ports that might be a GOOD thing. For other ports it could totally remove their charm and/or eventually doom them to only servicing the smaller ships.

What's good about Ocho Rios as a port (less the pushy locals and weed:eek:) you have quite a bit of options. You can do Dunn's River (exist through the entrance), Coyaba River Garden and Museum, zipline, bobsled, tubing, Fern Gully, 9 Miles- Bob Marley home town, local schools and stops in places like Browns Towns where the local are not dependent on tourist dollars. Along with resorts such as Sunset Jamaica Grand, Sandals, Couples and several beaches and the fall back Margaritaville. I assume you know what I know is not go and winging anything unless those wings have jerk sauce:p The 'right' Jamaicans are quite funny it's the ladies with major attitutue you have to worry about;)

If you don't wish to buy anything tell the guy your wife will k!ll you. They know and fear the warth of an angry woman. After DH told them that I am Jamaican, they offered the weed for free and offered to buy him a drink. They know his pain and that he must be a Saint.

Edited by kooljamming

I think you're so right on this! As I've posted, my week in Ocho Rios was horrible, but I know a lot of Americans that go back over and over. People either love it or hate it--there is no in-between. I completely understand why people love it there--I just had an unfortunate experience, that I probably could've had anywhere and it just happened to be in Jamaica. No one gets on the boards and says "I HATE St. Martin." If anything, it's like "meh, it was ok." But Ocho Rios--look out! :eek:

We'll be there in January again. What is your favorite excursion?

Fred, I know this is kind of touristy but Dunn's River Falls ended up being such a highlight and a memory for us. It all had to do with the situation. My brother and I took our mother up the falls. We didn't use a guide we just did it ourselves. As we were starting to climb these three women that were standing next to us said something in italian, it turned out they were from Italy, which my brother and I speak pretty fluently. So we struck up a conversation and the next thing you know he and I are taking these three women, and our mother, up the falls. We had so many laughs and made the entire trip up speaking in italian.

It just turned into such a memorable time that I will never forget. The falls really are beautiful and and climbing is a fun activity.... especially if you can avoid the crowds of people. Try to get off the ship and get to the falls early.

The port(s) that you do not like, someone else will love! Enjoy the island, not the mall-like monstrosities the cruiselines have constructed. ;)

I think you're so right on this! As I've posted, my week in Ocho Rios was horrible, but I know a lot of Americans that go back over and over. People either love it or hate it--there is no in-between. I completely understand why people love it there--I just had an unfortunate experience, that I probably could've had anywhere and it just happened to be in Jamaica. No one gets on the boards and says "I HATE St. Martin." If anything, it's like "meh, it was ok." But Ocho Rios--look out! :eek:

There are things that happen where once is enough. I actually became an American citizen after an incident on the island:eek:. I have left that place so many times vowing never again:D I truly understand why it's not for everyone, just not the HATE or even for this thread. So what if a port is not for one person, let those who wish to try it have a go at it.

I don't have to read this thread to know everyone else stated RESPECTFULLY what other ports they do not LIKE, CARE FOR but without a doubt there is an American calling Ocho Rios a dump, a hole or something, without any further detail. Montego Bay, Cabo, Cozumel, I do not care for. Juneau (so-so) expect for the breathtaking Mendenhall Glacier. Loved Skagway, Ketchican and Matazlan ports. Within a few minutes of being in those ports you experience the character of the place. I wouldn't say I love Alaska or Mexico because of a few hours in port. I really don't put too much stock in the attitude of others who are paid to entertain me or separate me from my wealth/cash....ports and hospitality workers

I took this and totally turned it around from a quote by Abe Lincoln :

All the locals ask for Jamaica is that if Americans do not like her let her alone, stay on board. God has blessed her with great beauty (and weed) that much let others enjoy. ( Not advocating weed but my friend (yeah, yeah a friend) said, I need a reason to keep going back to that place to enjoy the beaches and the put up with the locals:p)

Edited by kooljamming