Please skip this Caribbean port

eyeeye

not the Caribbean, but some people don't give Palermo (Sicily) or Naples a chance, because they are not as clean or as tourist-friendly as, say Barcelona, but we found them both fascinating cities and were so glad we didn't pay attention to the doom merchants - we did that once about montego bay and missed out seeing the place (I guess that;s the Caribbean after all :))

People that post about what ports they dislike should include what they have done/did during their visit.

I think that if a ship sailed into Manhattan, and people rated NYC based on the pier area, they'd trash that too. :eek: The good thing is they've been revitalizing that area.

We cruise to relax and if we want to spend quality time somewhere, we go on a land vacation there. I spent a week in Ocho Rios in college, and it was a horrible vacation. I prefer not to go back there, but I know that other people like it. We usually just get off at a port and walk around the port area, shop and have a drink, so they pretty much are all the same to us. There are some ports I wish RCI would add, but again, if I want to spend quality time somewhere, I'll spend more than a few hours there.

As a cruiser of 20+ voyages mainly in the Caribbean, my wife and I were discussing where we would prefer NOT to get off the ship. We pretty much settled on Tortola as somewhat blah with the assertive hawkers bothering us and not much to do. A HAL Captain told us that Grand Turk was not a great place either. Wondering what others are thinking? Nassau? Ocho Rios?

I am going on my 22nd cruise at the end of the month and I have visited most of the Caribbean ports. Here's my opinion:

Tortola = loved it when we were there. The excursion to Virgin Gorda was superb.

Grand Turk = Is a developing port. Walked around the few shops and back onboard.

Nassau = Is very nice but you need to be aware of where you are going.

Ocho Rios = Used is a beutiful place but I will not get off the ship there. The natives are very aggressive and I felt unsafe. The last time we were there the pier was gated and we just visited the shopping area within the pier.

Hope this helps.

I am going on my 22nd cruise at the end of the month and I have visited most of the Caribbean ports. Here's my opinion:

Tortola = loved it when we were there. The excursion to Virgin Gorda was superb.

Grand Turk = Is a developing port. Walked around the few shops and back onboard.

Nassau = Is very nice but you need to be aware of where you are going.

Ocho Rios = Used is a beutiful place but I will not get off the ship there. The natives are very aggressive and I felt unsafe. The last time we were there the pier was gated and we just visited the shopping area within the pier.

Hope this helps.

I have yet to be to any port where the pier was not gated and access restricted to authorized people.

I have yet to be to any port where the pier was not gated and access restricted to authorized people.

2 of the 3 piers in Key West are not gated. Then again, we don't have the aggressive hawkers found in foreign ports either.

As a cruiser of 20+ voyages mainly in the Caribbean, my wife and I were discussing where we would prefer NOT to get off the ship. We pretty much settled on Tortola as somewhat blah with the assertive hawkers bothering us and not much to do. A HAL Captain told us that Grand Turk was not a great place either. Wondering what others are thinking? Nassau? Ocho Rios?

Just went to Grand Turk on a HAL cruise - it was lovely. I enjoyed the beach, and lunch there, and some shopping.

I haven't really been anywhere in the Caribbean that there wasn't something to do. Some excursions are worse than others, and in most places you can book a smaller group excursion after you get off the ship for far less. Haven't been to Tortola.

I guess it also depends on what one thinks is "not much to do". If you want to go to a tiny Caribbean island and find western-style entertainment, I'd say don't go at all. The beauty of the Caribbean islands is that they don't have a lot - other than great beaches.

I got annoyed the first time I went to Jamaica, to Montego Bay - and the very first thing I saw off the ship was McDonald's. Had to look all over the port to find a place which served Jamaican food. Historic Rose Hall plantation was a fascinating glimpse into Jamaica's past of slavery.

So some hawkers are aggressive....although I've not had that experience yet. I've been mugged at gunpoint in Washington DC. Didn't turn me off going to the US. I think we need to be careful we don't apply our personal "standards" to others' behaviour. If we want to be tourists - and let's face it, we're wealthy compared to most of those people - we have to live with some things we might not like so much. They are also people trying to make a living.

Fran in Toronto

Edited by Fran Harp

A HAL Captain told us that Grand Turk was not a great place either.

Grand Turk was a complete waste of time in my opinion. It reminded of a rest stop on I-95. Wanda Sykes was on board, she called it a big ditch.

I later heard snorkeling is good there.

I love Wanda Sykes, but she should be ashamed to "ditch" Grand Turk. Dito to the HAL Captain, too. :eek:

We thought the island was beautiful, intriguing and one of the most fun ports we have ever stopped in. We rented a golf cart and rode all over the island, visiting the sea shore town, the state park, the beaches, and finally ending back at Margaritaville. Where else can you see horses, donkeys, cows, bulls, and flamingo's just out along the streets! :D

Didn't snorkel, but my brother and family stopped and had a snorkeling/scuba outing and said it was the highlight of their cruise.

Along with Costa Maya and Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk has the most beautiful waters

Eurodam2010076.jpg

Eurodam2010052.jpg

2104276735_Eurodam2010026.jpg.d37bac22cab520fd3a7f4cab5a37f87a.jpg

233593336_Eurodam2010028.jpg.afbbeadd13e858cacafbcd5658b0426a.jpg

321525939_Eurodam2010030.jpg.c7fd834323968c970819ffc8902fab77.jpg

632391178_Eurodam2010041.jpg.9e5aeb3027dffb1653cab8c3b11257af.jpg

819637749_Eurodam2010044.jpg.7d3e968f12294e84f920ed56c4073ff3.jpg

Edited by CruisinManiac

(Wanda Sykes is a potty mouth so I would not go by her opinion on much...)

Tortola--what a great place with beautiful views all around..... we have enjoyed Cane Garden beach, Sopers Hole, had great fun at Pussers, & enjoyed shoopping for spices at Sunny caribe...Next time we have some new ideas too!

Our least fav is Nassau due to the vendors who mob you as you leave the port...but even there one can find somethng nice for the day--even if just a nice lunch at the Hilton!

Belize was ok but need an excursions either to a beach, caves or the ruins...

And I like to make my own opinion on the world rather than be told what I should like or not like.

As far as I can tell in this thread, everyone is just posting their own opinions, not telling others how to feel.

For us it would be Montego Bay

I'd certainly consider staying on the ship for Nassau, & the private Bahama islands. Walking thru the security area at Nassau is a nightmare I do not care to repeat. However, I did not see the other side of the island, nor Atlantis, so I will try those before I give up, just gritting my teeth getting out of the pier area.

When you are looking at excursions, whether ship ones or private ones, don't you sometimes have a hard time choosing between two or three? Next time in that port, do the excursion you haven't done.

Been to Nassau a number of times. Sometimes I have not bothered to get off the ship. This last time, I was with a new cruiser and wanted her to make up her own mind about the place. Didn't take but 10 minutes before she wanted to go to the ship. I just really don't like anything about it and neither does anyone I personally know.

While traumatic I wouldn't rule out an entire country due to one psycho. That could happen anywhere unfortunately. I am glad it ended safely. Jamaica is a beautiful island and we have always had fun there.

If we did go back, which there is a slight chance, but we've done the Western a few times so we've kinda seen everything we have wanted too.. I feel Jamaica for us as a family brings back horrible memories. My daughter wouldn't get off the ship, we've heard horror stories about Montiego (sp?) Bay, and Dunn River Falls wasn't that great. Plus my husband got extremely sunburned, while using sunscreen, and managed to get 2nd degree burns.. I believe there are other islands I'd rather visit again than Jamaica.

If we did go back, which there is a slight chance, but we've done the Western a few times so we've kinda seen everything we have wanted too.. I feel Jamaica for us as a family brings back horrible memories. My daughter wouldn't get off the ship, we've heard horror stories about Montiego (sp?) Bay, and Dunn River Falls wasn't that great. Plus my husband got extremely sunburned, while using sunscreen, and managed to get 2nd degree burns.. I believe there are other islands I'd rather visit again than Jamaica.

Are you really trying to relate that to Jamaica as if that can't happen all over the Caribbean not to mention the deck of a cruise ship?

Are you really trying to relate that to Jamaica as if that can't happen all over the Caribbean not to mention the deck of a cruise ship?

No- definitely not. But it's bad memories for the entire family. My daughter being grabbed by a psycho, my husband getting sunburned, having burns, it was just a bad day in port. I realize sunburns can happen anywhere, my daughter got cooked to a crisp in Grand Cayman after not wearing sunblock for 9+ hours. It's not just Jamaica but I would not prefer to go back, I think the island isn't that great and is extremely run down with not much to see.

No- definitely not. But it's bad memories for the entire family. My daughter being grabbed by a psycho, my husband getting sunburned, having burns, it was just a bad day in port. I realize sunburns can happen anywhere, my daughter got cooked to a crisp in Grand Cayman after not wearing sunblock for 9+ hours. It's not just Jamaica but I would not prefer to go back, I think the island isn't that great and is extremely run down with not much to see.

I will have to say, one of the best times my husband and I had was our last cruise on Liberty at Margaritaville in Montego Bay...it was a blast. But I agree, if you had a bad memory of a place, there are plenty of other places to go and have fun.