Help..Getting from ship to metro in Piraeus

vizslapup

Am I correct in understanding that you can take bus #843 from somewhere near the port to the metro(green line/Line #1), and then you need to take the metro to get into Theseum or Monastiraki.

Also, if I purchase the ticket for the bus (1E), I believe that the ticket is valid for both the bus ride, and the metro...I read on one of the posts that it is valid for 75 min after it has been stamped.

Then coming back to the port, do I take the metro from Monastiraki to Piraeus, and then catch bus # 842 back to the port?

Am I correct in understanding that you can take bus #843 from somewhere near the port to the metro(green line/Line #1), and then you need to take the metro to get into Theseum or Monastiraki.

Also, if I purchase the ticket for the bus (1E), I believe that the ticket is valid for both the bus ride, and the metro...I read on one of the posts that it is valid for 75 min after it has been stamped.

Yes, that is correct. However, I was in Athens on Nov 25/09 and they just started construction or something on the subway line so basically we took the subway 1 stop, had to get off and took a bus to detour the subway stops under construction and got back on the subway. It took over 90 minutes to get from port to the Acropolis so we decided to take the taxi on the way back.

You should check if the metro will be running at all stops when you go - not sure where you would get that information though.

You should check if the metro will be running at all stops when you go - not sure where you would get that information though.

I suggest you check on the Athens forum at Tripadvisor (sister site to Cruise critic). They have local experts who would be able to give you the most up to date info prior to your trip.

Then coming back to the port, do I take the metro from Monastiraki to Piraeus, and then catch bus # 842 back to the port?

It's still #843, just runs in the other direction, and you have to cross the bridge over the street in front of the Metro building to get to it (the stop is to the left of the bridge as you are on it, and the bus lines serving each stop are shown on the bus stop sign).

BTW, the bridge is a good marker for the Metro station when approaching it on the bus, since there is no sign or Metro logo that I was able to see which distinguishes the Metro station; we actually rode past it one stop and had to walk back a few blocks.

Also, counterintuitively, when you take the #843 from the cruise terminal, you have to cross the big street in front of the terminal, turn left and walk past the bus stop and turn left again to get to a newsstand which sells transit tickets. The first newsstand closest to the cruise terminal either didn't sell tickets or was out of them when were there in October, nor can tickets be obtained in the terminal.

How long will it take us to walk to the metro from where the cruise ships dock? and how easy is it to do?

Martin

The Athens Metro station is about a mile and quarter walk around the east side of the port from the Cruise Terminal at Gate 11, mostly on Odos Miaouli until it curves left, after which you take a right onto Akti Poseidonos which becomes Akti Kallimasioti right near the Metro station (transliterations used by Google Maps; other sources may differ). Other posters have suggested about 20-25 minutes for the walk. The area is mostly office buildings and shops, not picturesque but not threatening.

As Cynthia mentioned above, the local Destination Experts on the Athens forum of tripadvisor provide great Athens metro updates. One regular, Thalia (TH13) regularly updates about metro closures, and is very responsive to questions.

The Athens Metro station is about a mile and quarter walk around the east side of the port from the Cruise Terminal at Gate 11, mostly on Odos Miaouli until it curves left, after which you take a right onto Akti Poseidonos which becomes Akti Kallimasioti right near the Metro station (transliterations used by Google Maps; other sources may differ). Other posters have suggested about 20-25 minutes for the walk. The area is mostly office buildings and shops, not picturesque but not threatening.

Thanks for listing street names

• 2 weeks later...

How do you buy your tickets at the metro ----from machines? Are things clearly marked in both English and Greek? I'm assuming this is pretty easy to figure out since so many people take the metro into Athens, but I'd rather have the info in advance.

How do you buy your tickets at the metro ----from machines? Are things clearly marked in both English and Greek? I'm assuming this is pretty easy to figure out since so many people take the metro into Athens, but I'd rather have the info in advance.

Yes there is a clerk -- I just held up three fingers (actually a thumb and two fingers) and handed over 3E and she game me three tickets. There is a couple steps up to the platform, at the end of the platform there is the validation machine. Be certain to validate your ticket.

The thing is, unless you plan to walk to the metro from the cruise terminal, you will probably want to take a bus, and will need a ticket for it; the same ticket will also take you virtually anywhere on the metro system. If you are in this situation, you buy tickets from a newsstand on the street.

• 3 months later...

As one of the posters mentioned above, there is still construction on the line requiring you to go one stop, catch a bus to another stop, and then get back on the train.

You can check the status at the Athens Piraeus Electric Railways website. Look on the right side for "Press Releases," click the link saying "Planned Engineering Works," and then select the PDF file that starts with "eng" for the English version. They update it pretty frequently.

Back in late February/early March, it said they expected to be finished in early April, but they are no longer providing an estimated completion date, so unfortunately it may be a while before it opens back up.

When we were in Piraeus, we had originally planned on taking a taxi from the port to the metro station, but none of the taxi drivers wanted to do that (they all insisted we should just let them take us into downtown Athens). So instead, we walked. It took about 25 mins over flat terrain. The basic directions (from Royal Caribbean's dock, anyways) is leave the dock area, turn left, and follow the perimeter of the port until you reach the pedestrian bridge, cross the bridge, and you are at the Metro. We took the Metro to Thissio, which offered a beautiful view and pleasant walk up to the Acropolis.

BE WARNED - While on the Metro as a group (with a few of our tablemates), pickpockets tried to get stuff from 3 people in our group, but we were watching out for each other. I did not feel as though the Metro or Piraeus were dangerous at all, but just keep a very close eye on your possessions.

• 1 month later...

Just want to clarify. We intend to buy the 3 Euro all day pass. Does this mean that this 3 Euro ticket is also good for the bus, #843 that will get me from the port to the metro and back AND the green line metro so I can go to the Acropolis? Can somebody confirm please.

Does it mean that I can get the metro ticket at the newstands then?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Always Lost..

Just returned from a Med cruise and did local transport. We seemed to be always lost but in the end we got there and back

..In Pireus when you get out of the terminal look for News Kiosks.( someone later told me it was the second one on the other side of the street) That is where you can buy a ticket for the bus. We ended up walking to the metro.(20 mins or so) We only got return tickets(all you'd really need if you're there 1 day) Get of at Montaskriki.. You'll be able to see the Acropolis from there but ask someone for directions. We walked around and found the entrance somehow but it was kind of confusing.

Coming back you cross the overpass and there will be 2 bus stops together.. Look for the one that has #843 and it will take you back to the terminal.

If you walk to the metro in Pireaus don't look down. I saw 3 dead cats and dirty diapers in the street. And that was in 1 block..

We took local transpo in Istanbul, Naples(to pompeii) Ephesus and Rome.. It takes work to find the info(the cruise lines don't help)..Saves a bundle but it can be a little exhausting( getting off at wrong metro stations etc)

I think one should start a board on independant travel while on cruise..

Barb

When we were in Piraeus, we had originally planned on taking a taxi from the port to the metro station, but none of the taxi drivers wanted to do that (they all insisted we should just let them take us into downtown Athens). So instead, we walked. It took about 25 mins over flat terrain. The basic directions (from Royal Caribbean's dock, anyways) is leave the dock area, turn left, and follow the perimeter of the port until you reach the pedestrian bridge, cross the bridge, and you are at the Metro. We took the Metro to Thissio, which offered a beautiful view and pleasant walk up to the Acropolis.

BE WARNED - While on the Metro as a group (with a few of our tablemates), pickpockets tried to get stuff from 3 people in our group, but we were watching out for each other. I did not feel as though the Metro or Piraeus were dangerous at all, but just keep a very close eye on your possessions.

grvdggr71 is giving great info.

This is the best way to explain how you walk to the metro from the cruise terminal.

Heed the rest of the advice given also.

Now on to something else ,that might be of interest to some.

Some people find the walk from the Thission ,or Monastiraki stations to the Acropolis entrance, either confusing or/and a long uphill to the entry point.

Plus most of us want to get on the Acropolis rock as quick as possible,to beat the heat and so on.

There is a faster and easier way to get a lot closer to the Acropolis Gate up the hill if you so wish and you are taking the green line metro.

This is how.

Take the Green line to the OMONIA station.

Its the station after Monastiraki station.

There when you get off the train follow the crowd up the long escalators.

When up at the next level look for the RED LINE connection that goes to AGIOS DIMITRIOS.

Its really easy to find, the signs are posted in both Greek and Latin characters.

Get off at the ACROPOLIS station, which is located right underneath the New Acropolis museum.

The Gate is around the corner just 200 yards away or so.

http://www.athensguide.com/metromap.html

http://www.ametro.gr/page/default.asp?la=2&id=15

Note:The parts of the metro line route maps that are not solid are under construction,and non operational.

The Green line is open all the way to Athens.

No bus reroute anymore.

There is a faster and easier way to get a lot closer to the Acropolis Gate ....

Manurules; that's exactly what we did on our port day (5 years ago) and I agree that it was easy. I've recommended doing it that way often here on the forum, but some who have done it both ways said they preferred the walk from Thission.

On our next visit (for 3 days) we had the chance to do the walk from Thission and Monistiraki towards the Acropolis, and while it is a wonderful view, with great sites to take in along the way, it is a hike.

I think for those trying to get to the Acropolis as early as possible, the method you recommend is a good one!

• 9 months later...
Just want to clarify. We intend to buy the 3 Euro all day pass. Does this mean that this 3 Euro ticket is also good for the bus, #843 that will get me from the port to the metro and back AND the green line metro so I can go to the Acropolis? Can somebody confirm please.

Does it mean that I can get the metro ticket at the newstands then?

I know this is nearly a year old, but I have this exact same question. Can anyone assist?

I know this is nearly a year old, but I have this exact same question. Can anyone assist?

I recommend that you post this question on the Athens forum of tripadvisor. There are several destination experts that can give you CURRENT information.

Archived