Kids and late dining?

HoustonTodd

A question for those of you experienced at cruising with the kiddos. This upcoming January sailing we are taking is the first time we are going to be bringing our kids. Normally in the past we have taken the late dining so that we are not rushed getting ready or anything on port days. We can just be leisurely about our time.

I was reading another thread where someone mentioned in passing about not wanting late dining with kids because their kids would miss something in the Camp Carnival stuff that goes on. So ... my kids are 16, 11 and 9. Can anyone expound on this issue? If we keep the late dining we are reserved for right now, are there activities they will be missing? What sort of things are going on at night in the Camp?

Thanks for any input guys!

The 16 yr old can just meet up with his friends after dinner, there's not much as far as organized stuff for that age group. Not sure about the others though. Is Anytime dining available on your cruise? Sounds like it would be perfect for a family.

The 16 yr old can just meet up with his friends after dinner, there's not much as far as organized stuff for that age group. Not sure about the others though. Is Anytime dining available on your cruise? Sounds like it would be perfect for a family.

It is, but I'm not a fan of anytime dining. I like meeting new people, it's one of my favorite parts of cruising.

Our kids are grown now, but when they were your children's ages we still did late seating (for the same reasons you mentioned). They on occasion would leave dinner when there was some activity they really wanted to do. I know it is a little harder with the young ones. We travel in groups and have parents with the same ages and to be honest it varies as by family and what they feel comfortable with.

Do late!! We did early 4x on RCL b/c our kids were younger. Last cruise on Valor, we did late since our youngest was 9 at the time. They'll be 14/12/10 on our next cruise on Splendor.

Early was ok - we were all awake. Late was better. We'd all do our own thing during the day - two of my kids were in camp. Then camp would slow down or close around 4-5pm and they'd come find us. Often, we'd go for a swim, slide, golf, etc. right about the time early seating went off!! It was great. We'd head back for a shower in time for late seating - go to dinner and about half of the time one or more of them would politely ask to be excused after the main course so they could go to an activity.

My wife and I would then enjoy coffee, a show, etc. and have a curfew time to meet them back at the cabin. It also forced us to stay up a little later as we often start our day early and are dragging by 10 pm unless we have a reason to keep going!

Dave

Not sure if this helps- but

We sailed with 16, 14 and 12 YO so we were in circle C and just happened to pick early dinner but it worked out good for us because the 16 year old came to the show most nights after dinner and then went off to meet up at club O2 which doesnt start till around 9:30 anyway, but the other 2 were able to go to circle C at 8:00 which is when it started back up.

I only have capers from our July trip for the 12-14 age group, but I can tell you the activities for this age group start at 8 or 8:30 and they included board games and video games but they also had swimming under the stars and volleyball. One night dodge ball started at 9.

I hope someone else has capers for camp carnival so you an see what activities start at 8.

Going again in January with my 7 grandkids. This is their 6th cruise and we have late dining. A few times the kids have early dinner in Lido to do something special in Camp or have left after main course. A few times they have had dinner with Camp Counselors. Late dinner is the preference of the parents and it seems to work out. Have a great time on your cruise.

Dawnrae

Last time with our girls they were 12 and 14. We did late last time and they did not like it so much. We let them miss dinner with us one night and they excused themselves early a couple of other nights. Many activities were geared for the kids having the early dinner. DW and I would rather have the late seating for the reasons you mentioned but the kids talked us in to the early seating for our upcoming cruise. Also, remember that in January it will be getting dark earlier than in April.

Rick

I just found this and it should help you. On the carnival boards under kids and teens, on page 2 someone posted complete capers for all age groups. not sure what ship, but you can definately get an idea of what is happenning. check it out.

A question for those of you experienced at cruising with the kiddos. This upcoming January sailing we are taking is the first time we are going to be bringing our kids. Normally in the past we have taken the late dining so that we are not rushed getting ready or anything on port days. We can just be leisurely about our time.

I was reading another thread where someone mentioned in passing about not wanting late dining with kids because their kids would miss something in the Camp Carnival stuff that goes on. So ... my kids are 16, 11 and 9. Can anyone expound on this issue? If we keep the late dining we are reserved for right now, are there activities they will be missing? What sort of things are going on at night in the Camp?

Thanks for any input guys!

We prefer late dining. DD just turned 14. On many cruises the activities for her age group started at 8 or 8:30, or the other tweens had early dining and met up at our dinner time. We had an appetizer with her in the Lido or she had room service and we had some family time before dinner; she only id the dining room a couple of times most cruises. She's an only child and it didn't seem fair to ask her to do the family dinner with us because she would then have to wonder around the ship to find her friends, and we don't let her walk the ship alone. If you're set on dining as a family and want the MDR you probably need early; if you're more easy going about family meals, then do late.

We did late dining with our son last year when he was 3, and we have it coming up in 8 days. :D The schedules of when they have activities are generally the same for the camp group, the activities just differ.

Camp would close between 4-6 or 5-7. When it opens, they would do dinner with the kids, then take them back to camp. From that time until 10, when late night babysitting starts, they have a lot of organizied activities for the kids. When you do late dining, you do miss all of this.

Each seating has its advantages and disadvantages for us. We will do late for our upcoming trip and our Southern Caribbean trip, but will do early again for our 2nd attempt at the Mex Riviera.

We had late seating in August. We love it because of the lack of need to rush. However, our 11 year old did not eat dinner with us most nights because she was doing activiites in camp. In fact, she only ate one full dinner and one half dinner with us all week. It all depends on the needs of your family.

Aleece

We always do late dining, for a variety of reasons and we rarely see children at that seating. Most families traveling with children do early seating. Most people who post about dining and kids activities do mention earlier seating. I know some do it because their kids can't wait that late to eat but others do it for the kids schedule.

On the Mexican Riviera cruise, you don't have to worry too much about rushing for dinner like in the Caribbean. On Wednesday the ship leaves Puerto Vallarta at 10 pm, which could be a problem for early or late seating. But on Thursday the ship leaves Mazatlan at 6 pm, meaning you need to be back on the ship before 5 pm. That should give you enough time to get ready for early seating. And the final port on Friday, Cabo, the ship leaves at 3 pm.

I just found this and it should help you. On the carnival boards under kids and teens, on page 2 someone posted complete capers for all age groups. not sure what ship, but you can definately get an idea of what is happenning. check it out.

I have been searching for capers for 12 age group so I am excited about your post. Hoever, I don't know where to find it (where is the "kids and teens" selection? Could you give me a link? Thank you so much.

We will be doing late dining on our next cruise (and probably all of them after that!) which is our family cruise. Our youngest is 9 and will do some camp activities but does not stay in camp all day or all evening. She will come with us to the show and then on to dinner. She will do the "build-a-bear" activity the night it is offered and stay if there is a party, but otherwise she hangs out with us in the evening.

My DD is 8. We prefer late dining but she would rather grab some pizza & be in Camp Carnival during our dinner, or else eat with the camp counselors if that's offered. At the end of dinner we usually order a dessert for her (she LOVES chocolate melting cake) and one of us runs to pick her up from Camp.

Then she'll enjoy dessert with us and off we go to the show. It works for our family.

My kids don't really participate much with the kids group. Last cruise they preferred to go with us to the shows, comedians, etc. We prefer the late dining because it is actually closer to the time we eat at home. Don't generally even get home until 6:15, and then still need to make dinner so we usually eat closer to 8 anyway.

I am sure my daughter will like to do some of the activities but she will be a bit choosy of what she goes to. I am certain she will look to see if the Dream will do the build a bear type activity. Otherwise they like the pools, slides, miniature golf, game rooms, etc. They really liked seeing the shows on our last cruise so I hope they enjoy this cruise just as much.

Archived