9 members have voted

1. 1. Which Ship ??

• Thomson Dream
    • Island Escape
    • Thomson Destiny
    • Thomson Celebration
    • Thomson Spirt

Hi,

I am on a tight budget this year and Thomson seem to be the answer, I have cruised with Ov1 and Ex Ov2. I know this ship is the biggest and newest in the fleet but would you say the ship is showing age or is a bit tatty?? how would it compare to the bigger OV ships?? and is it just as informal ?? And lastly what ship is the best in the whole of the Thomson Fleet ???

Thank you all so much,

James Shaw. :)

James. It would be very difficult to say any one ship is better than the other. They may all be chartered by Thompson but are still different in their own way. We like Celebration, we feel she is small enough to be friendly yet big enough to have sufficient facilities. The staff on Celebration are mainly Phillipinos and Indonesian which we like, the downside is that dinner is open sitting whereas we prefer set dining.

We will have to wait and see how the Dream fits the fleet. It will be the biggest and smartest ship in the fleet and I can see no reason for it not to be a success if Thompsons stick to their current format.

Our fave is the Spirit. We've been on her twice already, and would go on her again like a shot. We've also been on the Emerald (now departed!!!), and the Destiny.

The cabins are much bigger on the Spirit than the Destiny, but as we don't spend much time in there, it doesn't really matter.

For us, there's just "something extra" about the Spirit!!! It may be because it was our first cruise.

Ann

Hi James

As the previous poster said, it is difficult to say which ship is the best. We have never been on the Celebration but have been on all the others. We have been on Destiny 3 times so far and have booked again for March 2011 in the Caribbean. She's our favourite but that could be because of the itineraries we have done.

Yes she is a bit worn but she makes up for it in atmosphere and friendliness. The cabins are small but kept perfectly clean (as is the whole ship).

Destiny can be as informal or formal as you want. We use the open air Lido buffet as we are not into dressing up every night and we like the fact that we can eat when and where we like.

Many people have different opinions so it's best to "suck it and see". If you see an itinerary you like then go for it. I don't think you will be disappointed in any Thomson ship as long as you go without any pre-concieved ideas as to what to expect - just go with the flow!!:)

Janet

Nobody knows the answer because the Dream does not join the Thomson fleet until next year!

it is still sailing as the Costa Europa.

I have sailed on the Europa twice, so it therefore it gets my vote.

This is the best thing Thomson has done, and hopefully will lift them into a different league. They already have the best mix of passengers, the crew are second to none, the A1 deals are great.

So this 'newer, bigger' ship will be a great addition.

To me the Spirit is the best and provides the best overall experience. I do not like the Destiny because of the fixed dinning, and the fact it is difficult to get a table for 4 without sharing.

The celebration has the best drinks offering on the AI package but I still prefer the Spirit overall because the atmosphere is the most friendly in my opinion

Didn't you get the AI package on the Spirit? We have on both occasions we've been on her. So far we've had free AI on all our Thomson cruises. But we aren't booking for 2011 as the AI isn't free anymore.

Ann

Yes we got the AI but there is more of a selection on the Celebration that are charged extra for on the Spirit.

Same here, the dream is too pricy for me and we may be looking elswhere for this years cruises :(

We always rated Celebration the best - although our first cruise was on Celebration and we've been on her more often so I think that plays a part in it. BUT we went on Spirit again this year and both felt it was equally good - and the entertainment team this summer season were superb and the best we've ever seen (and they've all been good!). So Celebration and Spirit now tie for top spot with us. We enjoyed the Destiny too and I think it only slips a little in our rankings because we prefer the cabins and Lido restaurants better on the other two - but not enough to put us off going back on Destiny! We find the itineraries, service and atmosphere on all the ships are winners! :)

I'd love to try the Dream too - I think it's the way forward for Thomson; acquire ships which are rather better appointed and retain the 'Thomson product'. :D

But I do think they've dropped a clanger by not offering AI on early bookings - and suspect from what quite a lot of us have said on here that their bookings may be down on the basis of that - plus other companies are offering Caribbean cruises at competitive prices. :( Let's hope they take note of the negative feedback over this issue - it would be a shame to lose loyal customers.

Yes the cabins on Ocean Village are great, and I enjoyed the rest of the ship as well for a full 21 days.

What one would I recomend? well both of them for different reasons as they are so far apart in size and layout.

If you are taking young children on a cruise Ocean Village is great, it is also good if you are a teenager or in your early twenties, both of which I am not.

For the overall enjoyment factor there is only one cruise line as far as I am concerned, and that is Thomson

Great staff, entertainment, drink prices, food and a great, friendly bunch of cruisers who enjoy life and its simple pleasures whtever they may be.

Ron

Dream is too expensive in the caribbean 2010/2011, was looking forward to cruising on her. But, not at those prices!!!!!!!!!!

We're thinking about Xmas 2010 on the Dream in the Caribbean. I've been quoted just under £5,000 for 3 adults and a child sharing an outside cabin, flights included. I didn't think that was too bad but haven't really got anything to compare it with (we've only ever cruised Thomsons).

Hi vwgolf:)

Depending on where you want to visit you could try comparing the price to the Caribbean on the Destiny. I know the ships are totally different but if you want a brilliant itinerary I can recommend the 14 days doing both weeks on the Destiny (as can plenty of others). We did in in March this year and have booked the same again in March 2011 as I couldn't justify spending the extra money on the Dream. We also got the AI package for £98 (normally free when booking early - but still not bad for 2 weeks) whereas its over £300 on the Dream.:eek:

Janet

Thanks smiffy. We actually want to Cruise over christmas, that is depart some time around 23 December. We're also limited to a week as everybody has to be back for the return to school (my wife works in a school). This obviously puts the price up a bit!

We're thinking about Xmas 2010 on the Dream in the Caribbean. I've been quoted just under £5,000 for 3 adults and a child sharing an outside cabin, flights included. I didn't think that was too bad but haven't really got anything to compare it with (we've only ever cruised Thomsons).

While I love the Thomson ship they are pricing themselves out of the market. Prices on major lines are better this winter.

Costa, Princess, and RC are all cheaper in the Caribbean.

Try the Sea Princess from Barbados, great ship, good flights and nice ports.

I've been on OV and OV2 as well as Thomson Spirit, Celebration and Destiny and all have something different.

Cabins : OV wins hands down. The standard outside cabin I had on Destiny was the tiniest and shabbiest I have ever had. The Deluxe cabins on the other 2 Thomson ships were OK for size but still shabby and outdated.

Entertainment : I am a big OV fan but Thomson wins by a mile. Their shows on an evening are spectacular and there is much more entertainment which is better run during the day. (OV offer better quiz prizes, though)

Ships : Destiny has an upper pool deck like the OV ships whereas the main pool deck on Celebration/Spirit (sister ships) is at the back and lower down. Sun decks packed on all Thomson and OV ships.

Restaurants : Destiny offers fixed dining and the self-service buffet is much smaller on the other ships and with only a tarpaulin when the weather is cooler making this area largely unusable if it is cold. Celebration and Spirit have large buffet restaurants and free-seating in the main restaurants. The food is equally good between Thomson and OV

Overall : if Thomson had better ships with balcony cabins they would have my vote every time. Their service and choice of itineraries is second to none and all transfers, excursions, etc extremely well organised. I am hoping that with the Dream coming along that this will herald a start of ships being upgraded.

"Try the Sea Princess from Barbados, great ship, good flights and nice ports"

I've just had a quick look at the Princess website and Sea Princess only has 14 day cruices in December 2010.

On the Crown Princess, 4 of us departing on 23 Dec '10 from Fort Lauderdale is over £6,300 inc flights. Rather more than Thomsons!

Archived