Anyone else asked to pay for a CC M&G?

hon2u

I will be on the Jan.24th sailing of the Spirit. We have 35-40 on the roll call interested in a Meet and Greet. I emailed the Group Events Coordinator to request assistance in planning the event and ask if the front desk would deliver my welcome packets with name tags.

Here's the response I received today:

Good afternoon

Cruise critic meetings are done on the second day of the cruise from

10:30am-11:00am for these meetings we always try to have someone from

the ship to attend the meetings. For security reasons we don't provide

behind the scenes ship tours of the galley etc.

For the meetings we don't offer any type of refreshments please see

attachment for cocktail party prices and advise if the group would like

to do a cocktail party for the meeting.

The price for delivery of the name tags its $1.50 per envelope.

Thank you

Angela Merino

Group Event Coordinator Norwegian Spirit

I organized a M&G on the Pearl to Alaska in June 2009 and I was not charged by the front desk for delivering an envelope to my CC Friends. With 40 people this would cost me $60. We had cookies, juice and coffee at the M&G. No one from the ship attended which was disappointing.

I must say I am very surprised by this response. I enjoy cruising with NCL - this will be my 7th cruise and another planned for the fall of 2010. I am trying Carnival in the fall and may reconsider my Dawn booking in 2010.

Anyone else have this type/lack of customer service. I just think it is really odd! Check out the price per person to have a cocktail party at 10:30 in the morning! :eek:

I would love to hear your experiences!

Our group can pick a place and time to meet - I was hoping for more assistance from NCL than appointing a space.

The title of your thread is a little misleading. They are not charging for the M&G. They are merely charging a delivery fee.

I have never asked about delivering packets/name tags before. Think about it, would you deliver 40 name tags to all corners of the ship for nothing? If you are in a Suite maybe you could ask the Concierge to take care of this for you. I have done that in the past for group gathering that I have coordinated.

PE

I don't know if our group was charged anything for the meet and greet held in October...but I DO know that I didn't get any sort of packet delivered to my door. We just were informed on line when/where the group was going to meet. When we arrived, there were soft drinks and cookies/snacks, and some of the crew showed up. I would be surprised if it were entirely free, but I would fully understand a charge if they were asked to deliver packets to everyone. Why not just have them at the meet and greet for folks to pick up when they arrive? What's in them, anyway?

I think you got real lucky on the Pearl! I would never dream of asking the ship to deliver packets/nametags for a M&G I organized.

The first M&G I organized, I had everyone's cabin number, and I walked the ship myself. Then I got smart -- told people when and where the meeting was, put the envelopes on a table at the location, and had each person pick his/hers up on entering.

What I do find perplexing is that the message states that refreshments won't be provided. There is such inconsistency among the ships. On the Jewel, refreshments and cookies are provided and lots of the staff shows up, usually even the Captain. I set one up on the Star, and they scheduled it at the same time as a Latitudes party; they just forgot about us.

I will be on the Jan.24th sailing of the Spirit. We have 35-40 on the roll call interested in a Meet and Greet. I emailed the Group Events Coordinator to request assistance in planning the event and ask if the front desk would deliver my welcome packets with name tags.

Here's the response I received today:

Good afternoon

Thank you

Angela Merino

I organized a M&G on the Pearl to Alaska in June 2009 and I was not charged by the front desk for delivering an envelope to my CC Friends. With 40 people this would cost me $60. We had cookies, juice and coffee at the M&G. No one from the ship attended which was disappointing.

I must say I am very surprised by this response. I enjoy cruising with NCL - this will be my 7th cruise and another planned for the fall of 2010. I am trying Carnival in the fall and may reconsider my Dawn booking in 2010.

Anyone else have this type/lack of customer service. I just think it is really odd! Check out the price per person to have a cocktail party at 10:30 in the morning! :eek:

I would love to hear your experiences!

Our group can pick a place and time to meet - I was hoping for more assistance from NCL than appointing a space.

I have coordinated a number of M&Gs. The delivery charge is not new and is required if you want the staff to be making deliveries on your behalf.

I have found that it is easier to just deliver them myself....takes the place of my time on the treadmill! :D

As for the cocktails, yes, those are always a charge item and not provided free. It almost sounds like the GEC thought that you were holding a party instead of a CC M&G. Perhaps it was something in the wording of your emails to her. Of course, without seeing those, I'm unable to comment.

I'm also surprised that nobody showed up on the Pearl for you...again, I'd need to see the communications to comment, but this also looks a little strange. How did you get refreshments if nobody was there?

I have planned two M&G's one on the Dawn and one on the Gem. Both had refreshmensts (coffee, teas, cookies pound cake juice). We also had the officer's visit. The M&G was posted on the Roll Call so all knew where to meet and name tags were available at the door. Usually all they do is get you a spot and set up some refreshments and invite the officer if the group is big enough. I don't think they are required to do much more than that. That is what the M&G organizer is for. I have heard other poeple try to set something up and maybe word it wrong and get a list of charges for a meeting room. Were you clear as to what you wanted? Hope it works out for you.

The part of the response that surprises me is the WE DON'T PROVIDE ANY REFRESHMENTS. Since WHEN? they have always provided cookies and punch or coffee etc. for free. Also I would be very upset if NO ONE from the staff attended either.

Usually there are several officers there and it is always helpful. Really the only reason I attend a M&G.

I am co-ordinating a M&G on the Dawn for Jan 15 2010 sailing.

I think they probably mentioned a charge because you are asking for something beyond what is usually provided (for them to deliver your packages and name tags) and they may have misunderstood what sort of refreshments you want. All I expect them to provide for nothing is a room. If coffee and cookies are there - nice touch but I don't count on it and I did not request it. All I asked for was a location and time. I consider the rest is up to me and my fellow M&G participants. I would love it if any ship's officers show up but once again, I don't count on it.

I just think it is very generous of NCL to provide free meeting space for M&Gs and anything extra is icing on the cake.

How about posting what YOU asked THEM?

When they refer to refreshments...did you ask for alcoholic beverages? That could be what they're refusing.

They usually provide danishes, coffee & juices which is very nicely done.

And the "crew" that come are the Senior Officers of the ship!!!

As for deliveries, I'm sure that's a consistent delivery charge, and has nothing to do with it being for a M & G.

When I arranged our M&G on the Sun the contact gave me the place and time prior to sailing. I was able to post and email those who provided an email address.

They set up a nice table with cookies and coffee, water and juice.

Three officers came, as well as some other staff. Pedro Serna (Cruise Director), Errol Bailey (Food & Beverage) and Rosita (Hospitality)... I think I got these correct. They were wonderful... Answered many questions and of course stated they wanted to address any concerns we had on board (as opposed to this board I suppose).

The Captain did not come, however I met him at a few parties and again at the gathering for those of us who went to Antarctica. He presented us with certificates.

I made labels at home. I had a gift for everyone and had a raffle for door prizes. I just live a good party so it was my pleasure.

It was great, made many friends. Both civilian and crew.

They are not charging for the M&G, as said above. I think it is reasonable to charge for the things they indicated.

Personally, I would not trust that anything you wanted delivered would actually get delivered. The day of boarding is a very busy and stressful day for the staff. Rooms get changed, problem, etc. etc.

For the M&G we did, people would get their name tags when they arrived. And of course, many that promise to arrive, are AWOL.

Snacks - very simple coffee and danish have been provided, but I think that is a hit and miss thing. Personally, I think NCL should have a cash bar open so they can make some money, but I have not seen that happen.

Three officers came, as well as some other staff. Pedro Serna (Cruise Director), Errol Bailey (Food & Beverage) and Rosita (Hospitality)... I think I got these correct. They were wonderful... Answered many questions and of course stated they wanted to address any concerns we had on board (as opposed to this board I suppose).

Just a minor correction. Pedro's last name is Serra.

PE

I have been to three M&G's on the Pearl and the crew has showed up to all of them.

The title of your thread is a little misleading. They are not charging for the M&G. They are merely charging a delivery fee.

Sorry' date=' I did not mean to be misleading.

I have never asked about delivering packets/name tags before. Think about it, would you deliver 40 name tags to all corners of the ship for nothing? If you are in a Suite maybe you could ask the Concierge to take care of this for you. I have done that in the past for group gathering that I have coordinated.

PE

I guess I was just lucky on the Pearl. I did tip the young lady as she was very accommodating.;)

Often I drop information packets and gift baskets at local hotels to be delivered to guests.

I thought of the front desk on the ship like a hotel reception desk.

My bad! :rolleyes:

Well, my experience with Cruise Critic M&G's, ones that I have organized (three), the last one being on the Dawn this past August and all that I have been too (nine), have all been about the same.

I have been to M&G's on Norwegian Cruise Ships (6), Royal Caribbean (2)and Holland America (1).

There have been small M&G's (6 people) and HUGE M&G's (60 people on Royal Caribbean!!!).

There was NO charge for anything. For some of the M&G's, we made up our own name tags, for all the rest there were blank name tags.

There were refreshments served. Coffee, Teas, Juice, Pastries, again, at no charge.

Quite a few Officers would attend, almost always the Captain, the Cruise Director, the Head Chef, the Food and Beverage Director, International Hostess, Hotel Director, etc....

Maybe things have changed in five months, I don't know.

The M&G's were ALWAYS posted on the Roll Call and re-posted often when new names were being added to the list. Sometimes we even added pictures so that we knew what each other looked like.....:)

Maybe you can hand out your "Welcome Packets" at the M&G. Is this something you have put together personally? That is very nice of you. :)

Maybe some ships do things differently, maybe on some ships a Cruise Critic M&G is not a big deal. But, that has NOT been my experience so far.

What have you decided to do about your M&G?

Maybe you should e-mail the NCL person again, tell them your past Cruise Critic M&G experiences, and see where that gets you.

I wonder if things are changing for M&G's on NCL?

Whatever happens with your M&G, I do hope you have a lovely cruise. :D

They delivered my envelopes for 30 people at no charge.. wasn't even mentioned. I got the idea from other cc'ers who said the ship will do that for you.

No charge for the danish table, coffee, juice (I think) and water. Most of the officer's showed but no Capt.

This was on Majesty though, in April.

Keep us posted, Hon and Happy Holiday's dear.

Have organized M&G CC meetings on Spirit 3 times. Latest was for our Nov. 29 cruise. Spirit staff has always provided juice, coffee, tea and plates of Danish for the meetings.

All 3 meetings were attended by several officers and department heads as well.

Have always delivered meeting reminders personally to CC members requesting a reminder. Would never dream of asking cruise services to deliver packets or letters to individuals on the cruise. They have enough to do the way it is.

Dianne

Pearl last June we had no officers or any crew attend the meet & greet except the young lady who was setting up the refreshments and she left as soon as she was done. We were given Le Bistro at 11 AM on the first sea day and had a small turnout. Maybe 15 folks.

I have a roll call for my Feb 2010 Pearl cruise but there is little interest so am M & G may not get off the ground for that cruise.

I look forward to the day I go to a M & G with a load of folks I have been dying to meet from here.

Pearl last June we had no officers or any crew attend the meet & greet except the young lady who was setting up the refreshments and she left as soon as she was done. We were given Le Bistro at 11 AM on the first sea day and had a small turnout. Maybe 15 folks.

I have a roll call for my Feb 2010 Pearl cruise but there is little interest so am M & G may not get off the ground for that cruise.

I look forward to the day I go to a M & G with a load of folks I have been dying to meet from here.

I am organising the M&G for our January cruise on the Jade. So far we have over 130 people signed up to attend. I think that if half turn up it would be considered a success. I assume the more people who are signed up, the more no shows we can likely expect.

One of the roll callers is preparing the name tags but they will simply be handed out as people arrive. I will prepare reminder notes to deliver the night before and some other roll callers have offered to assist me with this.

Honestly I'm not sure what we'll do if everybody shows up because don't they usually recommend up to 100 people only in Le Bistro? I have advised the Group Co-ordinator of the number of people who have signed up so far but she still says Le Bistro will be fine. Any ideas?

I have coordinated a number of M&Gs. The delivery charge is not new and is required if you want the staff to be making deliveries on your behalf.

I have found that it is easier to just deliver them myself....takes the place of my time on the treadmill! :D

Excellent suggestion! In the future I too will deliver my packets!

No worries! :)

As for the cocktails, yes, those are always a charge item and not provided free. It almost sounds like the GEC thought that you were holding a party instead of a CC M&G. Perhaps it was something in the wording of your emails to her. Of course, without seeing those, I'm unable to comment.

Here you go SeaShark!

Please let me know how I could have been clearer.

I did place **** where my email address and last name appears.

Good afternoon

Thank you

Angela Merino

Email: groupeventspirit@ncl.com

1800-327-9020 Ext 7782

Fax 305-436-4147

Norwegian Cruise Line

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami Fl 33126

Freestyle Cruising

ncl.com

-----Original Message-----

From: Debbie ********* [mailto:debbie_***********@*******

Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 3:28 PM

To: Group Event Spirit

Subject: Group Event on the Spirit

Hello,

I am organizing a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet and would like your

assistance. We will be sailing on January 24, 2010. I current have 30-40 cruisers signed up. Could you provide a location for our meeting?

The last CC M&G I arranged was on the Pearl to Alaska this past summer.

No one from the ship came to the meeting. Our event coordinator made a 2 minute appearance and there we were by ourselves. I have read about other groups having ship's officers, cruise director and hotel directors attend these functions.

What can we expect on the Spirit?

I would just like to inform my roll call members what to our meeting may look like. I was rather embarrassed last time when I told my group that NCL reps would be there and no one showed. I took the lead in the meeting and we enjoyed getting to know each other. After the Meet and Greet we did a "cabin crawl" and had a great time touring each others staterooms. We got to see everything from an interior to a penthouse suite.

Is it possible to arrange any type of ship tour for this group? Brig, galley or any behind the scenes type of thing.

How about refreshments for the meeting?

Last cruise I made name tags and put together a packet for each of my new friends. When I embarked I asked the front desk if they could be delivered to the staterooms.

Would the staff on the Spirit be able to do the same for me?

We are looking forward to sailing with you again!

Many thanks in advance!

Debbie

I'm also surprised that nobody showed up on the Pearl for you...again, I'd need to see the communications to comment, but this also looks a little strange. How did you get refreshments if nobody was there?

Sad but true! I arrived 15 minutes early since I had organized the event Tracy the coordinator I meet with the day before showed about 10 minutes later. I had asked her about a ship tour and she came to tell me they would be offering one on the last day at sea for a fee of $50.00 and gave me a sign up sheet if anyone in our group was interested. She left before anyone arrived! Oh well - no one signed up.

The snacks I assume were placed in Le Bistro by the kitchen or wait staff.

She also offer a free tour of the courtyard villas at 10:00am on the day we disembarked. My dh and I along with another couple meet her and looked around. We did not get to see the Garden Villa (still occupied by some lucky lucks that were going to be the last off the ship!)

We thanked Tracy, gave her a hug and a tip and we were off!

It was an awesome trip and we made some great friends at the M&G and still keep in touch.

I'll try again to attach the pdf file that Angela sent with her response.

Seems not to work I keep getting an error message - has anyone ever uploaded saved pdf file?

Cocktail Receptions

Norwegian Cruise Line offers a variety of parties that may be purchased for your clients. These parties are normally scheduled one hour prior to meal seating in one of the public rooms on board the ship, and are confirmed within two weeks of sailing, provided they do not conflict with our regularly scheduled shipboard activities. The minimum requirement for the following parties is 15 guests.

Additional hours or part thereof, 20% discount over the first hour excluding gratuities.

If your group would like a party that is not described above, please contact Norwegian Cruise Line’s Group Event Coordinator Department at 800-327-7030. Late requests will be honored whenever possible, but cannot be guaranteed.

We also offer a delicious assortment of fruit and hors d’oeuvres...

The prices of the parties and food are subject to change and include a 15% gratuity charge. If you have any questions or need additional assistance with any of the above information, please contact:

Norwegian Cruise Line

Group Event Coordinator Department

or fax 305.436.4147

©2009 NCL Corporati ati on Ltd. Ships’ Regist ist ry: Bahamas as an d Unit ed Stat tat tat es of America #13777 11/09

Party Type Pricing

One Hour Open Bar Party $21.00 per guest

One Hour Cocktail Bar with Hot and Cold Hors d’oeuvres $34.00 per guest

One Hour Champagne Party $60.00 per guest

One Hour Wine Party $26.00 per guest

One Hour Rum Punch Bar $15.00 per guest

One Hour Non-Alcoholic Bar $12.00 per guest

Shrimp on Ice with Cocktail Sauce $21.00 (one dozen)

Fruit and Cheese Tray $14.00 per guest

Vegetable and Dip Tray $1.40 per guest

Cold Canapes Platter $15.00 (10 pieces)

Deluxe Canapes Platter $25.00 (10 pieces)

Assorted Sandwiches $6.95 (serves 6)

How about posting what YOU asked THEM?

When they refer to refreshments...did you ask for alcoholic beverages? That could be what they're refusing.

They usually provide danishes, coffee & juices which is very nicely done.

And the "crew" that come are the Senior Officers of the ship!!!

As for deliveries, I'm sure that's a consistent delivery charge, and has nothing to do with it being for a M & G.

Full email posted - any suggestions?

Archived