Pregnancy Policy question

stan1541

Cross post from Royal Car. forum

After diligent searching on Royal's site, you can find their policy on pregnant travelers. How does the line treat you if you didn't know this information (Their 24 week policy!!:0 ) in advance and just showed up at the dock without a letter but within the time frames set forth in their policy.

I ask this as we are going on a family cruise and my Sister is going to be 23 weeks when we go. If she booked this herself, there is ZERO chance she would have found out about this policy as she is flaky and wouldn't have bothered looking it up. Airlines let you fly up to 8 months, so its no unreasonable to believe that people aren't aware that they deny you access after 24 weeks.

If she showed up, without a notice, would they just deny her boarding?

Cross post from Royal Car. forum

After diligent searching on Royal's site, you can find their policy on pregnant travelers. How does the line treat you if you didn't know this information (Their 24 week policy!!:0 ) in advance and just showed up at the dock without a letter but within the time frames set forth in their policy.

I ask this as we are going on a family cruise and my Sister is going to be 23 weeks when we go. If she booked this herself, there is ZERO chance she would have found out about this policy as she is flaky and wouldn't have bothered looking it up. Airlines let you fly up to 8 months, so its no unreasonable to believe that people aren't aware that they deny you access after 24 weeks.

If she showed up, without a notice, would they just deny her boarding?

Yes. Now that you know the policy, why don't you TELL her, so she can get the letter?

The issue is safety for her and her unborn child. While the cruise ship has an infirmary, they are really not equipped to handle any serious issues like complications of pregnancy, or premature delivery. They don't want to risk her life, or the life of her child. And medevac off the ship is way more complicated..and certainly more expensive...than a simple call to her doctor to get the letter (although I must say, 23 weeks is cutting it awfully close..."baby counts" have a way of being "off" a week or two, either way...)

Claiming stuipidity does not release you from the rules. Its for the safety of the mother and the baby.

Just a guess as I really dont know but I would assume they would deny her boarding. People have been denying boarding for other less potentially life threatening medical issues (recent flu symptons and such).

If she's 23 weeks at the beginning of the 7 night cruise, then she's already too far along.

Royal Caribbean International cannot accept guests who will have entered their 24th week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time during the cruise or cruisetour. A physician's "Fit to Travel" note is required prior to sailing, stating how far along (in weeks) your pregnancy will be at the beginning of the cruise and confirming that you are in good health and not experiencing a high-risk pregnancy. The "Fit to Travel" note should be faxed to the Access Department at 1-954-628-9622. Please contact us at 1-866-592-7225 or at special_needs@rccl.com if you have already booked a cruise or cruisetour and do not meet this requirement.

It seems like you were asking what would happen if she was less than 24 weeks, but did not have documentation. The NY woman who was denied boarding was denied because she was too far along, not because she did not have documentation. It sounds to me that if she had been under 24 weeks, she probably would have gotten on. Notice he did not ask for her letter, but asked when she was due. This is speculation, I know...

A letter from the doctor's office could easily be faxed if needed. OBs are on call-or somebody covering for them- 24/7. If it meant missing the cruise, a simple documentation could be sent even on the weekends.

If she is 23 weeks and 0 days on the last day of the cruise, then she has entered her 24th week. That's too late per RCL's policy. On a 7 night cruise she would have to be less than 22 weeks and 0 days at the beginning of the cruise. Babies are born at that gestation and with a NICU , they have a fighting chance. Without a NICU would die. :( No one wants that to happen, hence RCL's policy.

Couldnt people lie though and say they arent as pregnant as they are? I know for me, I didnt start showing AT ALL until I was 6months pregnant, no one even knew before then.

If you arent really showing at all and in your first trimester I could see people lying and not telling them they are pregnant. You may get a doctor to lie on a form by a week or so and let you cruise (but I wouldnt want them to be my doctor).

But honestly, why lie? Why risk your unborn childs life for a vacation?

If you want a vacation when pregnant, stay within your country or stay at a land based resort where access to medical facilities would be much quicker.

If you arent really showing at all and in your first trimester I could see people lying and not telling them they are pregnant. You may get a doctor to lie on a form by a week or so and let you cruise (but I wouldnt want them to be my doctor).

But honestly, why lie? Why risk your unborn childs life for a vacation?

If you want a vacation when pregnant, stay within your country or stay at a land based resort where access to medical facilities would be much quicker.

When I was pregnant and very closely monitored I had only 3 weeks out of 41 1/2 without a doctor's appointment or test of some sort. At 20 weeks I was released for a vacation and it was suggested that a cruise was a good option. I did not show AT ALL - no one believed me when I told them I was pregnant let alone HOW pregnant I was. Our TA confirmed the rules before booking (we were on HAL) but I don't recall being asked for any sort of doctor's letter. And remember I was considered high risk. Really, don't you think her doctor should be able to judge if this trip is safe for her? If the policy states no one past 24 weeks, she is at 23 weeks and her doctor gives her the ok shouldn't that be enough?

Thanks for you posts and opinions.

Just seems to me that if they are going to have a policy that would prevent you from sailing AND they get to keep your money, that it would be a little more prevalent than buried deep on the company's website. They should make it part of a YES/NO application prior to booking so that you are aware that this will be an issue. Just a simple "Will any of your party be pregnant during your cruise?" asked by the CVP or TA would suffice.

Thanks again.

Really, don't you think her doctor should be able to judge if this trip is safe for her? If the policy states no one past 24 weeks, she is at 23 weeks and her doctor gives her the ok shouldn't that be enough?

Theres good doctors and bad doctors.

If the policy states you can not be in or become 24 weeks pregnant then you have to adhere to the policy. The cruiselines have to cover their butts for law suits. Allowing someone over 24 weeks, even if the doctor says they are "safe" would imply and open up a huge can of worms that the cruiseship was prepared for a delivery or preemie care which they are NOT.

To the OP, if the person will be 23 weeks and the doctor is allowing her to cruise, then the person should be able to go on the vacation WITH proper forms filled out which are required by the cruiseline for the mother and baby's safety. I have no problem with pregnant women going on vacation. I flew at 24 weeks myself.

I was just saying that I think it is wrong and not safe to lie about being under 24 weeks when maybe you are 25/26 weeks or farther just because you arent showing. A cruiseship is no place to go into preterm labor or worse -delivering a preterm baby. Because even ONE week can make a huge difference in potential survival rate of a preemie.

Buried deep?

I went to the front page of the RCCL website and typed the word "pregnancy" in the search box and found the policy right away.

I cruised at 20 weeks or so back in 2005 on Princess. They didn't require a letter from the doctor then, and I wasn't showing enough that anyone questioned me anyway. But I was aware of their policy (no pregnant women after 27 weeks, I think it was then, which they have now changed to something less than that), and got my doctor's OK before going on the cruise, which we had booked prior to finding out about the pregnancy.

It isn't unreasonable to expect a pregnant woman to figure out that a cruise line would have a pregnancy policy and to ask about it.

Just seems to me that if they are going to have a policy that would prevent you from sailing AND they get to keep your money, that it would be a little more prevalent than buried deep on the company's website. They should make it part of a YES/NO application prior to booking so that you are aware that this will be an issue. Just a simple "Will any of your party be pregnant during your cruise?" asked by the CVP or TA would suffice.

They do, in fact, require this. This is part of what you agree to as part of the cruise contract, BEFORE you enter your credit card information. They even tell you to READ it carefully before clicking on agree.

(c.) Pregnancy and Infants - Any Passenger who will enter the 24th week of pregnancy by the beginning of, or at any time during their cruise or CruiseTour agrees not to book the cruise or board the Vessel or Transport under any circumstances.

Thanks for you posts and opinions.

Thanks again.

The answers are not poster's opinions regarding the cruiseline policies of denying boarding for a passenger who enters her 24th week of pregnancy anytime during the cruise; it's a fact.

It's always a traveler's responsibility to read what they are purchasing before they make that payment. It was and is your SIL's responsibility to read the rules of the contract before purchasing such a trip. It's the same as buying a plane ticket from the US to another country. You are responsible for obtaining any travel documents, such as a passport, visa, etc. It's not the airline's problem, and if you show up without them, you will be denied boarding. The airline does not care that you "forgot" or didn't realize you needed a visa to visit China. You are out-of-luck. Ignorance is never an excuse.

It would be impossible for the cruiseline to have a check list for every reason that could keep you from cruising and they shouldn't have to. Your SIL is too far along in her pregnancy to take this cruise and will be denied boarding. I know of no doctor (and I've worked with them my entire adult life) that would lie in a letter about their patient's condition. Too much liability.

Other posters have given the reasons why cruiselines have instituted this policy; it's for the safety of the child and mother. Unfortunately, even if you purchased travel insurance for this trip, pregnancy isn't covered. After reading your other thread on this subject, I see you have received exactly the same answers, which I am sure is not what you wanted to hear. It looks as if you still may be in the cancellation period for this cruise, so if I were you, I would be checking on this ASAP, so I could get my money back for the SIL's ticket, or cancel and rebook another cruise when she is not pregnant.

When I was pregnant and very closely monitored I had only 3 weeks out of 41 1/2 without a doctor's appointment or test of some sort. At 20 weeks I was released for a vacation and it was suggested that a cruise was a good option.

It does surprise me that someone supposedly so high risk would be released for a cruise. That does not sound safe. I mean, if the doctor didnt feel safe and insisted on seeing the patient every week, Im surprised sending the patient out into the middle of the ocean without proper medical care sounded like a good idea. Theres always differing medical opinions though and the cruiselines try to go by what is most reasonably safe.

Theres many people with chronic medical issues who vacation safely. To each their own. I just dont think it would be fair for a cruiseline to be sued because someones newborn died during or immediately after birth because the parents took a chance and didnt follow the policies or doctors orders.

To the OP sorry you didn't get what you were looking for from these boards but unfortunately people in this world need to start taking some responsibility for themselves. The rules are written down and personally I would expect anyone who was pregnant or had some type of medical concern to look into what they can and cannot do.

My oldest is now 19 years old. When I was pregnant I specifically asked the doctor what I was and was not allowed to do and when. If I was in you SILs shoes I would have been asking from the start if I could do the cruise to both the cruise line and most of all my doctor!

I would suggest sitting down with her and explaining what you found. There is now a lot of 'proof' that she should know about the policy so hopefully we won't see her on the evening news like the one in the post above.

Here's a similar example for the OP. When you travel on most cruise lines, none of them put in writing whether or not you need a visa to visit a certain country. It's in their documents that things like shots and visas are totally the responsibility of the passenger. IF you show up for your cruise on an itinerary that will require a visa or certain vaccinations, and you don't have it, you lose your money and you're not allowed to board the ship. I know a couple who had this problem. They were cruising to China and didn't understand that they needed a visa. They were not allowed to board the ship and they lost their fare. They tried to blame the cruise line for not telling them, it was written in their documents.

It's the same for those who want to cruise with an infant under the age of 6 months (many cruise lines now have that age limit), and don't realize that they are not able to do that. And it's the same for those who are pregnant. I was on a cruise this past March and a woman on board, supposedly in her 23rd week, went into labor and had to be evac'd off the ship because the medical center didn't have the facilities to handle a premature birth. I was also on a cruise where a woman started to miscarry, lost a lot of blood and had to be evac'd. One thing I know and every woman knows, you just cannot tell what will happen with a pregnancy. You could have given birth 10 times with no problem, but then all of a sudden, you've got problems with number 11. You just don't know as far as pregnancy is concerned.

Stan, the reason for the policy is pretty simple. Twenty four weeks is past the point of "viability" if the baby was born. Meaning....if the baby is born early, and your sister is on land and close to a hospital that is equipped to deal with severely premature babies, then the baby may live.

If the baby is born at sea, they DO NOT have a Neonatal unit aboard a ship. So the baby may not make it.

It used to be 27 weeks as Shelby's mom pointed out. But the medical community has been able to save younger and younger premies. So the cruise lines updated their policies to coincide with that.

So this is not to be mean. Its not to trick pregnant women. Its clearly printed in the cruise contract. Along with a whole host of other things - so it's sort of important that she read that kind of stuff.

I sympathize with the OP's sister. I'm not suggesting that she go ahead and cruise even if she will be 24 weeks, but it certainly surprised me to find out that the cut off is at 24 weeks and not later, and when I was pregnant, I think I would have been one of those people who it doesn't even *occur* to me to look into it. I would have asked my doctor what she thought, and if she cleared me for it, I would have gone. It would not have occurred to me to ask for the cruiseline's specific policy. Not saying right or wrong, just that it wasn't in my realm of knowledge and I can get that it wasn't in the OP's consciousness either.

Also JMHO, sure if we were feeling benevolent we could say it's in the best interest of the mother and child and that's why the rule is what it is, but I suspect it has more to do with legal liability than some sort of altruistic watchfulness. There was some talk about personal responsibility earlier... if we all took more personal responsibility for our actions and decisions, for example whether to cruise/travel when X weeks pregnant, this rule wouldn't have to exist. I agree that it's riskier to travel in your third trimester, but honestly, I think it's none of my beeswax what decisions other people make, and if it weren't for the threat of a law suit, I bet the cruiseline would let you be an adult and make your own decisions -- wise or stupid as others may judge them to be.

Finally, re: reading the cruise contract... OK, please 'fess up... how many of you read it all the way through? I'm honestly curious what other people do. For myself there are so many long terms & conditions for all kinds of things I sign up for, especially on the internet, and if I trusted the company/brand, I almost never read what I'm agreeing to. I just figure it's their lawyers covering their bums and (probably stupidly) I trust the companies that I trust, not to screw me over. Again not saying right or wrong, just giving my user experience.

Yes, it is indeed a matter of liability. Doesn't change the answer, though -- if the cruise line won't let someone cruise at 24 weeks, they can't cruise (at least not on that line..maybe other lines are more lenient.)

As for the cruise contract -- yes, I do read it through, at least once. I'm no longer of an age to even consider pregnancy, yet I've see that clause on all of the lines I've cruised on -- the limitations about "how many weeks", and what kind of documentation is necessary. I haven't paid all that much attention, because

like I said, I'm not of an age to be pregnant, but I AM of an age to understand that in all that "fine print" there may indeed be things I need to know, that the company presenting me with all that fine print doesn't necessarily have my best interests at heart, and is "covering it's bum"..

so I better know and understand what the expectations are before I whip out my credit card and hand it over!

I love all the posts that take nice shots about me fishing for information, not "Finding what I want to hear", and posting here was due to the fact that nobody had posted on the other forum, so i came here.

I posted my question to start a discussion. I learned more from the posts. Isn't that EXACTLY why we go to message boards? To ask questions and learn? We all don't always agree.

Thanks for those that commented, as I stated. I view their policy as very smart, well defined and just POORLY implemented. Thats my opinion.

I appreciate those that kindly offered their opinion of the policy. To those that offered less than helpful information, well, i guess, thanks for commenting too.

We are trying to rebook for March so we are within the timelines.

We are trying to rebook for March so we are within the timelines.

Excellent solution! I was thinking your trip was coming up in the next few weeks and you were locked in. So glad to hear that there is (hopefully) time to rebook.

I hope you all have a wonderful vacation and your SIL has a healthy and happy baby.

Archived