Should I worry about Ochos Rios, Jamaica

Ithocles

I avoid these 2 islands completely...

Back in the 1970's we sailed to Jamiaca & it was bad...went back in the late 1980's(figured give it a second try0 I / we have not been back. Relatives rented a villa there in teh 1970s - including cook, butler, maid & 2 armed guards stationed outside!!!!

Several times pulling into Nassau the ships were greeted w/ anti gay protestors from Nassau! Back in the 1970's the crew from the Oceanic told us to be VERY careful ashore.

Now I have lunch @ Matisse & return to the ship.

Too bad these islands & others have a few dangerous people that ruins it for the entire island( I include St Maarten, St Thomas, St Croix to name afew).

I'm glad Danny was able to meet some nice Jamaicans and maybe exposure to him and his partner will help broaden their country's acceptance of us.

We avoided taking a western Caribbean cruise for 14 years because we never wanted to go back to Jamaica. Unfortunately, our next cruise does. We'll stay on the ship. I know our small portion of our port fees are going to Jamaica. It would be interesting to find out how much. Our ship missed the Bahamas on our last Caribbean cruise and we received a refund of around $15 per person.

• 2 weeks later...
Not really a militant protester here either but, I see no point giving my money to someone that flat out "hates" me. .

I have a little quote that may apply..

"Show me a queer hater and I will show you a latent homosexual"

Sexually well adjusted people live and let live.

I feel sorry and pity the angry, Ignorant, hypocrites who hate and are probably trapped in loveless marriages.

The opposite of love is not hate but rather indifference.

Dennis

Jacksonville, fl

image.php?u=25255&type=sigpic&dateline=1260585652

428 days at sea

36 cruises

I feel sorry and pity the angry, Ignorant, hypocrites who hate and are probably trapped in loveless marriages.

Dennis

I think that may be applicable in a very few cases but the vast majority of anti-gay sentiment is generated (IMO) from the following:

- religious beliefs

- fear

- inaccurate information

- family upbringing

I think that assuming every anit-gay person is a latent homosexual is about as accurate as assuming every Hollywood actor that never got married was a closet homosexual. (And once again, IMO, angry anit-gay people don't take to well to being told that the reason they hate us is because they are gay themselves.)

Dennis

I think that assuming every anit-gay person is a latent homosexual is about as accurate as assuming every Hollywood actor that never got married was a closet homosexual. (And once again, IMO, angry anit-gay people don't take to well to being told that the reason they hate us is because they are gay themselves.)

“The whole world is bi-sexual, conditioning, opportunity and environment account finally and mysteriously for our sexual preference”.Gore Vidal

Dennis

428 days at sea

36 cruises

“The whole world is bi-sexual, conditioning, opportunity and environment account finally and mysteriously for our sexual preference”.Gore Vidal

Dennis

428 days at sea

36 cruises

This quote does not support your quote though I entirely agree with the sentiment.

We went to Jamaica once several years ago. We won't go back, and won't go on another cruise where Jamaica is on the itinerary. Although you're probably fine if you stay with a group and tourist crowds, we definitely did not feel safe there, nor did we like the way the people constantly flocked around us and harassed us to buy things.

We have been to Grand Cayman several times. After reading of the government's refusal to allow docking of and all-gay cruise we decided our strategy for our subsequent visits. We do gointo town and visit the shops. We look at things that interest us and allow the sales clerks to take as much time as they choose to try to sell us the item(s). Then we politely inform the clerk and, if possible, the manager why would not consider purchasing anything on the island, until they do something to reduce the institutionalized homophobia. We feel that it is important to let the islanders know that there is price to be paid for their actions and attitudes. Staying on board does deprive the businesses of income, but they are not aware of it, unless a letter is sent to the Chamber of Commerce, which rarely happens. I know we do somewhat support the island with the port fees, but why allow one port to prevent us from taking a cruise to other places we wish to visit? This is like having our cake and eating it too.

Blatant good living is the best revenge.

• 2 weeks later...

If we expect to be accepted, it is very important that we also learn of differences between us humans. Visit as many places as you can to be exposed to the wide variety of cultures, lands and people this earth has to offer.

I was in Jamaica once and did a raft down the Martha Brae River and really enjoyed my time on the island. I met some wonderful Jamaicans but I was on a shore excursion from the ship and here are my recommendations for that island:

Cruise Bear's Tips on Visiting Jamaica

-Take a shore excursion from the ship.

-Ocho Rios port will be a zoo with people surrounding the port and reaching inside the fence.

-Don't walk around the port in Ocho Rios. We tried this for about 2 blocks but were harrased by so many people following us urging us to buy or go with them for a tour that we just turned around and went right back to the port.

-Spend as little money as possible while on the Island.

-Watch your change and pay attention. I wanted to buy five $2 key chains and I ended up paying $9 each. I got my change in the local currency and ended up paying $U.S. 45 total for those key chains as my lover gave $20 when I wasn't paying attention and I gave $20 when I was ready to check out and she asked for $5 more dollars.

Wherever I travel, I travel smart. It's kept me safe so far, and I imagine it will in the future. it kept me safe in Jamaica when we went. I was really very surprised by our pleasant experience. I think Carnival does a lot to give their customers a pleasant experience. We first went to a plantation, and people were kind and respectful to us, with our matching wedding rings and matching tattoos on our legs. When we went to the falls, I didn't ask for our pictures to be taken together. The guides practically insisted. I was very, very shocked! Our shopping was great too, with a few pounds of wonderful Blue Mountain coffee. I did my research, was guarded especially with some of the more helpful feedback from a few of you, but was respectful and kind to everyone I met and treated them with the respect I hoped to get from them. I had a splendid time. Safe travels all, and may you have many great travels in the near future. -Danny

Like you, I booked our Western Carribean cruise BEFORE doing my LGBT research. After reading about the homophobic violence in Jamaica, I became very scared and felt trapped b/c we would lose half the cost of our trip if we canceled. It's also our very 1st cruise. Thank you for following up after your cruise! I feel a bit better knowing y'all were okay. We set sail in 66 days!

I'll keep you posted,

Robin

As a heterosexual ally, I choose not to visit Jamaica due to its appalling LGBTTQ laws. Also, having visited once, this island left me with gender-based concerns about safety too.

Thank you to a number of people for posting eloquent and very concise arguments as to why visiting Jamaica is categorically the wrong thing to do.

Given the feedback on a number of other forums, I'm amazed that straight people find the need to visit and spend their tourist dollars there. I can find many other caribbean islands that aren't out to hassle and harass me when I'm in their country.

I won't on principal take any cruise that even stops in a Jamaican port - even my port taxes can find a better home that this miserable island.

Hi everyone. Several Jamaicans are very dear to my partner and myself, some of whom are in our family, and most maintain homes on the island. We have spent time at their homes, with them and alone, in Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, and the countryside in between, but only because of family obligations. And while we have never had a problem, our Jamaican friends and family have always been totally freaked out until we return home over what the villagers with torches and pitchforks are capable of doing. Think One False Move. Even metrosexuals can have confrontations. Homophobia in Jamaica is fueled to violence by religiosity, which falls within the evangelical realm of free speech in the country capable of doing something about it. While I totally understand the OPs being undeterred to travel and shed good light in dark places, sometimes that good light only serves to illuminate darkness. I would recommend that no one travel to Jamaica unless they absolutely have to. Further, may I remind you that whether you disembark or not, if your cruise stops there, your fare is nurturing homophobia in Jamaica.

Cheers,

John

• 1 month later...

Oh Lord, what a thread. So my partner and I are engaged to be married and planning our honeymoon. Looking at a cruise on NCL (trying to splurge on a penthouse!) that goes to Ochos Rios. I did the Dunn's River Falls about 10 years ago with a group of friends (not gay friends) and didn't have a problem. Actually, it was a really fun and memorable time. I really want my partner to get the experience of hiking up the waterfall - unique and fun!

If we do a ship-sponsored excursion and get right back on the ship afterward, do you guys think we'll be alright? I think we're pretty obviously gay, even if we don't show PDA. We wouldn't have a problem butching it up for the couple of hours we're on Jamaica. Pretty crappy problem to worry about on your gay honeymoon, right?

Anyways, have a great evening.

- AJ

See if NCL offers an excursion that takes you by boat to the bottom of the falls, then you climb up, and walk back down the stairs for the boat ride back to the ship. That will bypass the vendors in the market area near the bus entrance who I heard can be pushy and even nasty to all tourists.

I was in Jamaica for the third or forth time a few weeks ago. I did not find the Jamaican attitude any different than most other poor Caribbean islands.

I walked from the ship to town by my self and never felt a moment of apprehension.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

image.php?u=58214&type=sigpic&dateline=1256756457

442 days at sea

38 cruises

I think the place is the armpit of hell. I have been there twice and both times I was absolutely horrified at the unfriendliness of the place. I have never been anywhere that I felt so unsafe.

I am heterosexual and I feel terrified in Ocho Rios. After our last cruise in 2008, I vowed I would never get off the ship there again.

Now that I know about how homophobic they are, and their politics for allowing such atrocities against homosexual people- I will not ever cruise on any itinerary that goes there.

Thanks to this board for educating me.

I was in Jamaica for the third or forth time a few weeks ago. I did not find the Jamaican attitude any different than most other poor Caribbean islands.

I walked from the ship to town by my self and never felt a moment of apprehension.

Kind of like you, I strolled through Ocho Rios all alone a few years back and really enjoyed it...but then, I've spent a lot of time in places like India, so I'm used to developing-world hassle.

However, it's well documented that the Jamaican attitude toward GLBT people is an entire order of magnitude more horrendous than other Caribbean homophobia, and until that changes, I ain't going back.

I think the place is the armpit of hell. I have been there twice and both times I was absolutely horrified at the unfriendliness of the place. I have never been anywhere that I felt so unsafe.

I am heterosexual and I feel terrified in Ocho Rios. After our last cruise in 2008, I vowed I would never get off the ship there again.

Now that I know about how homophobic they are, and their politics for allowing such atrocities against homosexual people- I will not ever cruise on any itinerary that goes there.

"All along I thought I was looking out a window and now I know I was just looking in a mirror"

Dennis

Did my post go on twice, or are you stating something unfavorable about me? I am sorry I am not understanding the point of your post.

If it was meant to be something deep or profound, it went right over my head too.....LOL

I'm with you on this particular topic - why waste your time and money in a place like this when there are many other ports of call where the islanders genuinely welcome ALL visitors.

I just shake my head at the idea of coming up with creative solutions to 'avoid' the aggressive vendors....... why are you going there in the first place?