Return Flight Time from Fiumicino

footer6

The afternoon flight I was going to book from Rome back home has gone up over $200.

The Equinox is scheduled to arrive in Civitavecchia at 4 a.m. If I can debark by 6:30 a.m. and have a car waiting, will I be able to make a 9:50 flight from Fiumicino?

The key there is "If I can debark by 6:30 AM".

Just because the ship arrives does not mean the customs folks will board immediately and start working through the clearance process.

I have not had an early departure at FCO, but it is not a particularly efficient airport and I would want at least 1 1/2 hours before my flight and would really prefer 2 hours.

With no traffic, you should expect between an hour and an hour-and-a-half for your drive.

If everything goes well (actually, it needs to go darned near perfectly), mathematically you can make it. How lucky do you feel? What will it cost if you miss the flight?

The technical answer to your question is "Yes, with several caveats", but if you are looking for advice, I would not do it.

Thank you. I thought it would work.

Before you book the flight I would suggest you or your TA check with Celebrity to see what they think.

I have arrived at this port of call several times, but not on Celebrity.

You need to allow one hour drive time to the airport plus you need to check in two hours before your flight. And this is one of the most chaotic airports.

If you have delays getting into port, delays getting off the ship, delays claiming your bags, delays with your transporation, it's a problem.

If it was me I would go with the later flight. But if that's something you want to avoid, at least see what the cruise line says as to what they recommend for the earliest flight times.

Keith

While not ideal, I think you can make it. I had a 10:20 AM Delta flight following my Equinox cruise last October.

We were off the ship at 6:15AM and on the way to FCO by 6:30AM. We used RomeCabs and in a driving rainstorm we were at the airport in 55 minutes. (it was a Saturday morning). It took nearly 2 hours to check our bags, clear customs and security. Checking bags a was a nightmare as only ONE man was checking bags at the counter. Add another 10 minutes to get the shuttle bus to our terminal. Bottom line, we could have made your flight and we were the second group off the ship. It may be a rush, but doable. But... if you miss the flight, it will cost a lot more extra than that $200 to get home.

I've had to take flights four times out of FCO after a cruise and there's absolutely no way I would ever book a flight home that early. If you've never been to FCO, you have no idea how terribly chaotic that airport is. You could be standing in line to check in for over an hour and then another hour for security. Celebrity advised us not to book a flight before 11am.

While not ideal, I think you can make it. I had a 10:20 AM Delta flight following my Equinox cruise last October.

We were off the ship at 6:15AM and on the way to FCO by 6:30AM. We used RomeCabs and in a driving rainstorm we were at the airport in 55 minutes. (it was a Saturday morning). It took nearly 2 hours to check our bags, clear customs and security. Checking bags a was a nightmare as only ONE man was checking bags at the counter. Add another 10 minutes to get the shuttle bus to our terminal. Bottom line, we could have made your flight and we were the second group off the ship. It may be a rush, but doable. But... if you miss the flight, it will cost a lot more extra than that $200 to get home.

So what you are saying if I understand this correctly is that you arrived to the airport at 7:25. And you made it to the gate around 9:25. So that would give the OP, 25 minutes to spare.

To me that's not much time to spare.

If the ship is late, or cleared late, or one piece of luggage can't be found right away, or the car is not there at the precise time (rememeber this is Italy) or the line is longer at the ticket counter, or security is backed up then those 25 minutes will evaporate quickly.

I have been to this port many times and to Rome often.

In your case everything went perfect but that is really not always the case there.

I agree with you that if one misses there flight the cost is far greater than the additional cost of the later flight.

If this was me, I would take the later flight so I don't have to worry about making the plane.

Rome is one of the most chaotic airports I have ever been to. Far worse than even the worst of those airports in the USA.

Anyway, each person should do what they are comfortable doing.

Keith

There's no doubt it *is* taking a chance, but it's one that would have worked out every call at Rome last summer - I'm not aware that Solstice was ever late into Rome. I've seen passengers disembark there before 6am on several cruises.

'Clearing customs & immigration' is not an issue at the end of these cruises. For all of Equinox's planned cruises next summer, the last port of call before the end of the cruise is Naples, which is also in Italy. Even if that one is missed, the one before that is in Greece (either Santorini or Athens), and since both Greece and Italy are Schengen Zone countries, there are open borders between them; and this includes direct movement by sea from one to the other. As far as customs is concerned, the EU is a complete customs union and again both Greece and Italy are members of the EU. So sailing direct from Greece to Italy doesn't involve any formalities for either immigration or customs.

The issue is entirely about "will the ship dock on time?".

For the OP:

Using a Continental Flight 9:45 am Friday flight to Newark as an example without having to do anything with the VAT:

Check in at Carrier Kiosk

Bring your bags for check in at a differnt bag kiosk for loading

Go to Passport Control

Take Shuttle Bus to Departure Terminal

Go through Security

Go to Departure Gate

On a Saturday, the time to do this will increase due to volume.

If you have to do VAT, this is in H Terminal. Continental is in G Terminal, so security is twice. Once in H and once in G. Transfer to H to G is via Tram

A lot of details and time, so really research what you need to do and detemine a time line.

As I said, I was NOT the first group off at 6:15AM. I believe some people got off before 6:00AM. And I said it would be tight. And if you miss the flight, it will cost you well over the extra $200 to find another way home. For me, I would not take anything earlier than about 10:20AM.

There's no doubt it *is* taking a chance, but it's one that would have worked out every call at Rome last summer - I'm not aware that Solstice was ever late into Rome. I've seen passengers disembark there before 6am on several cruises.

'Clearing customs & immigration' is not an issue at the end of these cruises. For all of Equinox's planned cruises next summer, the last port of call before the end of the cruise is Naples, which is also in Italy. Even if that one is missed, the one before that is in Greece (either Santorini or Athens), and since both Greece and Italy are Schengen Zone countries, there are open borders between them; and this includes direct movement by sea from one to the other. As far as customs is concerned, the EU is a complete customs union and again both Greece and Italy are members of the EU. So sailing direct from Greece to Italy doesn't involve any formalities for either immigration or customs.

I don't dispute that. But I know in the US, there are additional rules for non-US citizens that frequently cause delays. Does Italy not care that there are people that are not from the EU on board and everyone gets off no checks/reviews? Mighty trusting of them.

I think the consensus is that the time is tight and most would not push it that close. Nobody says that it can't be done if everything goes right.

I buy insurance for peace of mind. That is how I would characterize the higher airfare.

"Can you"? - probably

"Should you"? - up to you

"Would most responders"? - Nope

Well it's actually more than that.

Will the ship dock on time?

Will the luggage come off on time?

Will the persons luggage all be there?

Will the car be there on time?

Will there be any problems getting over to the airport?

Will the lines be longer than usual at the ticket counter?

Will the security lines be longer?

I would not mention this except if we use the other poster as an example there was 25 minutes to spare. One foul up and the time can be lost.

Now why do I say this. Well I used to travel frequently before I retired and what I learned from that is many times the unexpected does happen and to me a cushion of 25 minutes is no time at all.

Keith

You are really taking a chance---

we stayed over an extra night just in case & were glad we did as did many on our cruise.

We met someone at the airport on our flight home the next day who arrived late for his flight check in the day before due to road problems & he & his wife had slept in the airport overnight. They paid a bundle to get a new flight... & since they would not take his luggage they had to watch that all night too... The thing that made him most upset was that the plane actually left late but since check in time passed--they would not let him check in.

If 90 % or more never have an issue I still would not want to take a chance--t's a long ride to the airport..

Ps The ridiculous escaltors up & down are really killers---esp with carry ons..not my fav airport..

Fact: On the day of Equinox debarkation at Civitavecchia on 5 Nov 2009, there was a labor strike at FCO which effected baggage handlers. People could not check in their luggage as I understand from some friends. They were lucky since their flight did not leave until 2 PM.

Your call

The afternoon flight I was going to book from Rome back home has gone up over $200.

The Equinox is scheduled to arrive in Civitavecchia at 4 a.m. If I can debark by 6:30 a.m. and have a car waiting, will I be able to make a 9:50 flight from Fiumicino?

What time is the next flight?

I don't really understand all of the fuss. We have been on three cruises in the last two years that left from Rome. We kept our bags in the room and walked off the ship at 6:30, had the car waiting for us that we hired before we left, and were at the airport by 7:15. We were at our gate waiting for the flight by 8:00 the latest. Yes there can be delays, yes, many things can happen, but if 9:50 is your only flight time, it is probable that you will make it. Of course, if you can get a later flight you will be safer, but again, it is doable, and it has worked easily for us.

bob278 said:

...But I know in the US, there are additional rules for non-US citizens that frequently cause delays. Does Italy not care that there are people that are not from the EU on board and everyone gets off no checks/reviews? Mighty trusting of them.

Just to respond on this point: it's not a matter of trust, it's a matter of law and international treaties. Italy, Greece and a lot of other countries are signatories of the Schengen treaty. Among its provisions are the removal of systematic border controls between members. Here's a link to a Wikipedia article about it.

It really does mean that once you've entered the Schengen zone, you're free to move directly between one member state and another without going through border formalities. The border checks are done when you enter the zone (e.g. when you land at a european airport on a flight from the USA) but thereafter you're free to move freely within the zone. Here's a link to another Wikipedia page with images of what that can mean, in practice.

In the context of a Celebrity cruise in the E Med, it works like this:-

a) passengers probably enter the Schengen Zone in Italy (e.g. on a flight from the USA or even the UK) and go through border controls when they arrive;

b) the cruise commences and goes to Greece - no controls as both Italy & Greece are Schengen countries;

c) the cruise leaves the Schengen zone when it arrives at a Turkish port (Istanbul or Kusadasi) - the Turks apply border controls;

d) the ship leaves Turkey and travels to Greece (Rhodes or Athens). At this point it re-enters the Schengen zone and border formalities are performed, usually by Greek immigration officials checking passports (which may have been retained by the ship up to this point) and/or passenger lists;

e) the cruise continues and sails into an italian port (Naples) - no controls as it has just sailed direct from a port in Greece, another Schengen country;

f) finally the cruise finishes, again with no border controls: the previous port of call was probably in Italy anyway, and even if Naples was missed it would have been the Greek port, and therefore in a Schengen country;

g) passengers might fly home thus leaving the Schengen zone, and will have to go through normal border controls o/r the USA or the UK.

PHXazzcruisers:

I just got off the Equinox last October 10. There was NO way we could get to the gate in 45 minutes. We had a Delta flight and got to FCO around 7:25AM. The line JUST to get your bags checked took nearly an hour. And that was all the lines. Not just pour line. The security line took 20 minutes and that's only because they temporarily opened up several new lines due to over crowding. Add in the quick passport check and the bus to the gate. If you did it... congratulations.

PHXazzcruisers:

I just got off the Equinox last October 10. There was NO way we could get to the gate in 45 minutes. We had a Delta flight and got to FCO around 7:25AM. The line JUST to get your bags checked took nearly an hour. And that was all the lines. Not just pour line. The security line took 20 minutes and that's only because they temporarily opened up several new lines due to over crowding. Add in the quick passport check and the bus to the gate. If you did it... congratulations.

Thanks for your post. I was only responding to my experiences, and as I said the last three cruises that ended in Rome in the past two years, we never had an issue. I do agree that it is not always the case and different events change times, but if that is the only flight for them, I just wanted them to know that it is possible. From your scenario you would still have been to the gate at 9:10 or so and would have made the flight at 9:50.

In the end, each person will do what is best for them.

Sort of similar do you fly in the day of the cruise which is something we will never do. Too many things can go wrong.

As I have said several times, the Rome airport is one of the most chaotic airports we have used and I have flown to and from there several times.

I will always error on the side of extra time even if it costs me a little bit more. Because if things go wrong the cost will be much greater. The other reason is I have seen too many people who cute it too close and they spend the last few days of the cruise worrying if they will make it to the airport on time and this is not how we intend to spend our cruises.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I was just reading on one of the airline web sites that for flights from international airports that go directly to the USA that passengers are being advised to arrive three hours before the flight. Now how long this will last is anyones guess but even when resolved their it could happen again at any time. This is just another reason why I believe in not booking very early flights when returning back from a cruise.

Keith

Archived