Pipedreams62 Live from The Amsterschwartz.... Holidays Thru The Panama Canal

pipedreams62

Passengers are always welcome to leave the terminal while waiting to board. Actually they're encouraged to go out and come back later if there's a delay....

HAL makes sure there are options available, and often arranges for a shuttle bus for shopping, and restaurants in San Diego.

In theory that is great but for some of us it isn't practical. We bring carryons because we have things we must carry on. Can't risk them being lost as we need the contents so can't check then. Hard to go out and enjoy shopping, restaurants and riding a trolley with these carryons. Personally, I cannot wheel a bag behind me and stroll off for lunch or go tour USS Midway much as my husband would LOVE to do so.

NOT that we have booked or are planning any cruises out of San Diego at the moment. ;)

I'll wait for the fun and laughs, it's Christmas Eve. Time to be serious. Maybe. Have a way great holiday everyone. Pipe, enjoy your cruise. Wow, it is probably really great. HAL is working harder than ever at that.

love,

Suse

Well last night was a joyous occasion. They had singers from the cast caroling on the stairs in the gorgeous atrium. We lit the tree and the singers sang all the Christmas hits,a memorable evening to say the least.

They have gone all out decorating this ship for xmas. It's absolutely stunning. I love this ship. It really is a beauty.

We're still in code red and I've developed obsesive washing hands syndrome. The lido is still being serviced by anybody including singers and dancers.

The thermal spa is open but the thalassotherapy pool is closed. We had breakfast, lounged up in the crows nest,had lunch in the dining room,then rested on the tile loungers all afternoon. Yea I know "Nice Work If You can Get It"

We also went to the movies, 4 Christmases starring Vince Vaugn and Reese Witherspoon. I can't believe I sat there for 90 minutes, Quite possible the worst movie I ever saw.

Tonight is Jason Alexander a magician (maybe he can make noro dissapear) then it's on to the international christmas choir at 11pm.

The ship is beautiful,and life is good. Merry Christmas everbody talk to you later.

Jay

In theory that is great but for some of us it isn't practical. We bring carryons because we have things we must carry on. Can't risk them being lost as we need the contents so can't check then. Hard to go out and enjoy shopping, restaurants and riding a trolley with these carryons. Personally, I cannot wheel a bag behind me and stroll off for lunch or go tour USS Midway much as my husband would LOVE to do so.

When there is a lengthy delay in boarding -in San Diego or Long Beach-

an area is set aside in the terminal for passengers to leave their carryons while they go outside. The area is supervised, and passengers simply need to pick up their bags before they board.

Very nice they offer that service for those who want it.

If my carryon did not contain articles I absolutely need with me, I wouldn't be lugging a carryon. So, no....... I would not 'hand it over' to anyone but DH.

But seeing as we are not going to San Diego in the foreseeable future, it is moot.

I have never (and do not plan to ever) leave it in Neptune Lounge where concierges watch carryons for guests. Not mine!

That's a good option to have, Boatdrill!

Hey Jay, looks like you're already enjoying yourselves. Maybe Jason Alexander will turn out to be George Costanza, you know like "The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli":) Merry Christmas to you guys and enjoy!

242194.jpg

Four_Christmases-Movie_Poster.PNG

When there is a lengthy delay in boarding -in San Diego or Long Beach-

an area is set aside in the terminal for passengers to leave their carryons while they go outside. The area is supervised, and passengers simply need to pick up their bags before they board.

In 2006 there was no area for people to drop off their carry-ons!!

And I would not leave my carry-on with anyone no matter how secure the area is.

And to lug carry-ons around -- no way.

Well last night was a joyous occasion. They had singers from the cast caroling on the stairs in the gorgeous atrium. We lit the tree and the singers sang all the Christmas hits,a memorable evening to say the least.

They have gone all out decorating this ship for xmas. It's absolutely stunning. I love this ship. It really is a beauty.

We're still in code red and I've developed obsesive washing hands syndrome. The lido is still being serviced by anybody including singers and dancers.

The thermal spa is open but the thalassotherapy pool is closed. We had breakfast, lounged up in the crows nest,had lunch in the dining room,then rested on the tile loungers all afternoon. Yea I know "Nice Work If You can Get It"

We also went to the movies, 4 Christmases starring Vince Vaugn and Reese Witherspoon. I can't believe I sat there for 90 minutes, Quite possible the worst movie I ever saw.

Tonight is Jason Alexander a magician (maybe he can make noro dissapear) then it's on to the international christmas choir at 11pm.

The ship is beautiful,and life is good. Merry Christmas everbody talk to you later.

Jay

Merry Christmas!!!

P.D.: John and I watched Four Christmases on the Noordam last week but we only lasted 80 min. We were waiting for the dinner bell and had no where else to go. We kept rolling our eyes at each other and wanting to leave but the popcorn was a good appetizer. People kept coming in 45 min. after the movie started but there were seats cause other kept leaving!! Love the Amsterdam!!

Christmas eve they had carolers in the main dining room singing while we ate. The dining room was decked out for Christmas like you wouldn't believe. The international Christmas choir on Christmas eve was fantastic as well as touching. Jason Alexander was great as well.

On Christmas day we slowed down off Cabo and had to evacuate a sick person. I hope they're alright. Christmas dinner had all the fixins squash soup and turkey dinner. Then they had a red and white party in the crows nest.

Today we visited our first port Puerta Vallarta. The ships is docked right in front of a Walmart superstore.:eek:

We got out of dodge and went whale watching all day with Oskar an independent guide I had read about on trip advisor.

The whales didn't want to cooperate but Oskar worked really hard and we saw lots but they stayed down longer than usual and didn't show much tail:(. Still we had a great day,got ripped off by the first cabbie but that's expected I guess:confused:

The hot tubs are still closed due to code red and we are dilligently scrubbing our hands like a surgeon. They actually are showing people on the television how to wash their hands (how sad is that:confused:)

Tonight is a comedienne Janice Gardner. Last night was formal night and the night before (Christmas Eve) was formal optional.

I hope everbody had a nice holiday,check you later

We are enjoying your cruise with you!:) That's funny about Walmart. Can't get away from it, yikes.

Well, this is a breath of fresh air unlike the smoking threads that are popping up. Go figure. Before I get into that, I'm wishing you a very happy and blessed cruise.

Thanks again!

Good evening. We ate at Canaletto last night. It was out of this world. It was the best meal and best service all trip.

Today was a restful sea day. The weather was hot the seas were calm,and the aft pool was the place to be. I saw 3 turtles and a few marlin jumping.

Tomorrow is Huatalco,sounds like a quiet beautiful place.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Good night All

And I would not leave my carry-on with anyone no matter how secure the area is.

So funny....do you also not put your luggage out in the hallway the night before you get off ?

Even if they're locked, those bags out in the hallway are out of your sight for 10-12 hours, and come into contact with more unknown people (beginning with your fellow passengers and finishing with porters on the pier) than your carryon EVER would while being supervised by a member of HAL's shoreside staff for one or two hours. At least you know who was in charge of watching your carryon and have recourse if you believe something is missing.

Nevertheless, if you're not comfortable leaving it with anyone, no problem.

Just know that HAL gives the option when boarding is heavily delayed.

They actually are showing people on the television how to wash their hands (how sad is that:confused:)

It is sad, but alas, necessary I think. In fact, using such a video was one of our suggestions on the comment cards we filled out on the cruise just prior to yours so I'm happy to see that one exists. When I saw the way people were using the Purell (rubbing it just on their palms, ignoring the fingertips, etc.) I thought if that's the way they wash their hands, even for 20 seconds, the fingers that are going to touch their bread aren't clean. These people need a hand-washing lesson!

I hope that by now that perhaps you are out of Code Red.

I was fascinated ( or shall I say disgusted) recently that while on a ship sailing under Code Red conditions, at least half the women using public restrooms on the ship did not bother to wash, or even rinse, their hands before leaving the room. I saw it while at a sink and would hear it while in a stall. I would hear a toilet flush, the stall open and the hallway door open, no water running.

So funny....do you also not put your luggage out in the hallway the night before you get off ?

Even if they're locked, those bags out in the hallway are out of your sight for 10-12 hours, and come into contact with more unknown people (beginning with your fellow passengers and finishing with porters on the pier) than your carryon EVER would while being supervised by a member of HAL's shoreside staff for one or two hours. At least you know who was in charge of watching your carryon and have recourse if you believe something is missing.

Nevertheless, if you're not comfortable leaving it with anyone, no problem.

Just know that HAL gives the option when boarding is heavily delayed.

I don't see any discrepancy here. The poster said he/she would not leave the carry-on out of sight. That's where people advisedly keep their valuables, things that cannot be replaced and/or essential. The bags people check are the ones that contain the stuff we can live without if we have to.

I was fascinated ( or shall I say disgusted) recently that while on a ship sailing under Code Red conditions, at least half the women using public restrooms on the ship did not bother to wash, or even rinse, their hands before leaving the room. I saw it while at a sink and would hear it while in a stall. I would hear a toilet flush, the stall open and the hallway door open, no water running.

People are filthy. I actually quit traveling with a friend because she would not wash her hands after using the bathroom (and warning me not to go in there for a while) and then go dig her hands into the ice bucket.

I wonder too, though, if some people skip washing their hands because they know they're going to get squirted with Purell at every turn.

People are filthy. I actually quit traveling with a friend because she would not wash her hands after using the bathroom (and warning me not to go in there for a while) and then go dig her hands into the ice bucket.

I wonder too, though, if some people skip washing their hands because they know they're going to get squirted with Purell at every turn.

This is almost as gross as barfest guy. Ick.

Ok, onto more positive things. Hope Pipe is having fun.:)

It is fun to read about a trip on the Amsterdam since I just got off. I can obviously picture every place you mention quite vividly!

I was so lucky......not code red even after all those days on board.....and it started on the very next trip.

Also....oh my.....I was on there for 67 days and I didn't try the chocolate bread pudding!!

I look forward to the rest of your updates.

Hi everybody. I am sitting in the Puerto Chiapas terminal. It is hot as blazes. Yesterday was Huatalco. We took a cab over to Entraga beach.

I am not Jacque Custodian but it was some of the best snorkeling I have ever seen. We got there early and 3 hours later it was jammed with people mostly locals (which I enjoyed) it was a happening place and you can cab it over for $5 and rent all the snorkeling gear for $5. We ate at Canaletto again last night, hey it is delicious.

Today we are in Puerto Chiapas.They only have 3 excursions for this port. We took a shuttle into the town Temachula (sp) it was a little city with lots of interesting people watching venues. We only lasted an hour in ther heat and took the shuttle back. I find it funny that there is only 3 excursions here,but we stay here till 730 pm tonight:confused:

We also passed a Sams Club,Walmart,Home Depot,KFC,and Burger King.

heading into town.

Theres is no swimming or beach activiities here and it is 1000 degrees:confused:

The Rotterdam is docked in front of us. I went up to the top deck and took several photos of the retreat area. Hey I can see people enjoying the hot tubs and we are still in Code Red.

There has been no hot tubs the entire trip. I do not know how sick the ship is and really do not want to know:o

Tomorrow is Puerto Quetzal and I´m supposed to be Going With Gus on a tour. That is all for now the heat has sapped all of my energy and all I want to do is sleep:p

Nice update, thanks so much. It is so freezing here I can't bear it. You would not believe the wind, the freezing ducks on the ocean even. Way, way too much.

Glad you are having a great time. Yeah, heat makes me want to nap too. I just spent some time in a book store today with the cold weather. That's it, we are booooooooorrrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnggggg here in NE in the Winta. Enjoy the trip; it is so much fun. Ok, now I have to go listen to Pink Floyd. Haha. It is the only thing that getsmethruthewinta.

love,

Susie

Archived