Equinox Ultimate Caribbean - AWESOME

KT4209

Elbon,

I heard your review on the solistice before - that is why I was concerned.

But I am hoping someone who has actually been on Equinox can give me an accurate update. Or since you are boarding earlier, you can let us know on our roll call.

I will wait to hear .....

Does anyone who has been on the Equinox or Solstice think it would be worth taking one of these to put in the closet for Shorts, T-shirts, bathing suits, etc.? (There will be two of us using it.)

I think I read somewhere the closet was quite spacious.

6312314511237P.JPG

I take my "Bongo Nets" with us on every cruise. They are similar to this. You can get so much crammed into the thing.

Just back from the Equinox Dec. 14-24. I found the wonder hangers to be a big help in the closet--you know, you can hang 5 items on a drop down hanger. You can find them at Wal-mart for $10 for a box of 8 drop downs. About 1/3 of our closet was long and formal wear, the rest was various shirts and pants. I used the drawers for undies,etc, and the over bed storage ended up being a catch all and also shorts/ t-shirts. I did not feel like there was not enough storage for our 10 day cruise.

Also, as for being cool on Equinox, we did not find that to be so. One night I left the room in a hurry wearing my sleeveless formal gown and forgot my shawl, but didn't need it at all. It was, however, cool at night on the upper decks outside, and windy!

We really enjoyed Tuscan Grill this time, but not so much the Silk Harvest. (comparing to our previous Solstice cruise Dec. 08). The food wasn't so great at Silk, but the wait staff is tremendous and really wants you to be happy. Maybe we remembered wrong, but the sushi seemed so much better last year on Solstice--this year it seemed the same as what's on the sushi bar in the Oceanview. Did not try Murano's, but we did have lunch at the Bistro and it was quite good.

For the ports, we did the 1/2 day yacht sail and snorkel thru the cruiseline for St. Thomas (fine), the full day catamaran snorkle/beach/lunch on St. Kitts (great-watch out for the rum punch:rolleyes:). On Barbados we walked through town to Carlisle bay, all the way over to the point where the Hilton is and back. Carlisle is a wonderful swimming beach--once you round the point the surf is higher. For Dominica we did Levi Baron's falls and more trip, plus Champagne reef. Excellent value for the money, and Levi is incredibly nice and polite. St. Martin was just shopping and walking the beach.

The Ultimate Caribbean was so much fun, we signed up while onboard for next November to do the 11 night Ultimate (western) Caribbean. We've never been to any of the ports except for Grand Cayman, and are very excited to be going on Equinox again!

I take my "Bongo Nets" with us on every cruise. They are similar to this. You can get so much crammed into the thing.

I am not familiar with "Bongo Nets".

Could you please explain what they are (look like) and where to buy it.

Thanks.

Elbon,

I heard your review on the solistice before - that is why I was concerned.

But I am hoping someone who has actually been on Equinox can give me an accurate update. Or since you are boarding earlier, you can let us know on our roll call.

I will wait to hear .....

Temperature varied around the ship. Once place where you (if you are female!) will definitely need a sweater/shawl is in the Equinox Theatre. Don't remember it being chillly in any of the dining venues however.

Hi KT4209

I am sailing Equinox Jan 25...what was your cabin number?

Our cabin was a cat 07 and room number was 6191. Our friends were next door in 6189. Partially obstructed, but not a spoiler. I wouldn't hesitate to book this category again!

Can anyone verify that the solarium pool requires stepping down and up a ladder to access? By contrast, the t-pools of other ships have regular steps and are easily accessed. Thanks in advance.

It has both. Additionally, the solarium is close to the Aqua Spa Cafe, which allows you the opportunity of enjoying a healthy delicious lunch after two hours of pool walking. Laps in this pool are rather in-efficacious due to the number of folks using same.

I used Beno last January for a 6 hour tour in Dominica. He charged $40 pp and there was approximately 24 on two buses. I organized this tour through cc several months prior to sailing and I must say he was excellent. Was there waiting for us promptly. He even brought my DH who is a diabetic some sugar free drinks for the bus.

My $.02 for Dominica excursions--contact Beno Pascal. He is very personable and knowledgable. He's smaller than the other company mentioned, which I think makes him a little more eager to please. He'll put together any tour you like.

We just returned from our 10 day Ultimate Caribbean cruise. The Equinox now tops my list of favorite ships and My Time Dining was an OUTSTANDING experience.

I would be happy to answer any questions, so ask away.

Just a few highlights... The catamaran excursion with Silver Moon in Barbados was extremely enjoyable. We would have preferred more snorkeling time at both stops as it seemed we were in the water around 20 minutes each time. Lunch was delicious and the crew was extremely accommodating. All in all, we highly recommend this DIY excursion.

Our category 07 balcony was fantastic. Only a slight obstruction from the top of the lifeboats. Storage was not an issue for us: Shorts, tanks and swimsuits in the cabinets above the bed; undergarments, socks, makeup and electronic "stuff" in the drawers; dresses, slacks, shirts hanging in the closet. The bathroom was outstanding... the new shower design with doors as opposed to the "stuck-on-you" curtain was refreshing and tons of storage. The dimming light was a great innovation as well - no need to be blinded with full light in the middle of the night!

Public rooms were stunning. Alternative restaurants were outstanding, and , did I mention My Time Dining? Way to go, Celebrity! Our party of four was seated promptly except for 2 occasions - once a wait of 5 minutes, and once 15 minutes. Nothing I haven't experienced at a fine dining restaurant on land.

Again, please ask any questions, and I will answer per our experience.

Sounds like you had one great cruise.....:):):)

Bob

Thanks for the responses regarding the tempurature on board Equinox. I am glad to hear it isn't freezing as I am packing warm weather apparel and it includes sleeveless tops and such. I will bring a light sweater or wrap in case it is needed.

In response to the questions about excursions:

St Thomas: We did Trunk Bay on our own. AWESOME

St Kitts: We explored the recently constructed shopping area right off the ship. Nothing organized.

Barbados: We arranged a catamaran sail & snorkel with Silver Moon. HIGHLY recommended.

Dominica: We took a 2 - 2 1/2 hour tour around the island. This was very easy to do right off the ship. (Agree on a price per person with your driver ahead of time)

St Maarten: We shopped til we dropped, then sat and had pina coladas overlooking the bay.

With regard to the ship... the entire ship is gorgeous. Cellar Masters, Ensemble Lounge, Cafe al Bacio & the Martini Bar were among my favorite areas.

Murano and Tuscan Grille were both excellent. The chocolate souffle at Murano is pure heaven.

Hi KT! Glad you enjoyed the Silver Moon Catamaran! We had a great time! Hope to see you again.:D

I think I bought it at Target or maybe Meijer. Not expensive' date=' very light weight and is very small when packed.

[img']http://i49.tinypic.com/9fzehz.jpg[/img]

You can also get it online. I searched "hanging closet organizers" to find the photo to post.

Just wanted to tell you that we thought your suggestion for the above was great! We are taking our adult daughter with us on the Eclipse in May so lots of clothes to put away. Found the Bongo or whatever you call it at Bed,Bath, and Beyond for $9.99. Not every Bed, bath, and Beyond store in our area had them so we had to go to one across town. Amazon.com has them, too, but the price is much higher and there are shipping fees. We bought two of them (one a little different that is square and good for shirts) and I think they will really help! Thanks for the suggestion. I think we will bring some safety pins in case the velcro at the top does not hold.

This is my first port, and I hope I am doing it properly. We will on board Equinox Feb.26, 2010 and are wondering which specific nights are the formal nmights. We want to be in the dining room for those nights, and also want to check out the specialty restaurants

[

[i know that schedule doesn't change from cruise to cruise for the activities as a rule, but this is our first time on Celebrity, so any info would be really appreciated

This is my first port, and I hope I am doing it properly. We will on board Equinox Feb.26, 2010 and are wondering which specific nights are the formal nmights. We want to be in the dining room for those nights, and also want to check out the specialty restaurants

[

[i know that schedule doesn't change from cruise to cruise for the activities as a rule, but this is our first time on Celebrity, so any info would be really appreciated

Almost 100% that your formal nights will be your first and 3rd sea days. Enjoy this beautiful ship!

Just wanted to tell you that we thought your suggestion for the above was great! We are taking our adult daughter with us on the Eclipse in May so lots of clothes to put away. Found the Bongo or whatever you call it at Bed,Bath, and Beyond for $9.99. Not every Bed, bath, and Beyond store in our area had them so we had to go to one across town. Amazon.com has them, too, but the price is much higher and there are shipping fees. We bought two of them (one a little different that is square and good for shirts) and I think they will really help! Thanks for the suggestion. I think we will bring some safety pins in case the velcro at the top does not hold.

I'm glad you were able to find it. $9.99 is a good price. I have never had trouble with the Velcro, but I suppose there could always be a first. Safety pins are a good idea.

Did you get the square one at Bed, Bath, and Beyond? It sounds like it would work for me; I want to use it for t-shirts and shorts etc. Could you tell me the brand name. I'd like to go to B,B, & B the next time I'm running errands.

Thanks very much tally 10 and Kevin's girl. :)

Hi, we are doing the same cruise on Equinox in March. Can you advise what the cost of drinks are aboard, both my husband and our friends drink a lot of Beer and whisky, and are wondering wether the drinks package is worth it.

I look forward to your reply.

Gill

Archived