Calling all Marines

Socref124

Hey Ken, what part of Central Florida do you call home these days? We are living in DeLand, halfway between Daytona Beach and Orlando. I also wear my Marine Corps shirts and hats when I cruise and look for fellow Marines.:)

I wear my indian headdress when I'm on a cruise. If we find a construction worker and a cop we can start a singing group.

Dang right. Would a Miami Vice count as medication? If so, CORPSMAN...:D Hey, Corpsmen are part of the Corps. Never met a Corpsman we didn't protect(So he could save our butts).

Semper Fi

Whatever your drinkin is the cure

I also never met a marine that didnt say thankssmiley-face-patriot.gif

I wear my indian headdress when I'm on a cruise. If we find a construction worker and a cop we can start a singing group.

I think we saw you on the Monarch of the Seas in Oct. You guys were in the atrium at midnight having a grand time.;)

We do know how to party! :p

LMAO, the guys on the Monarch were having a great time. There must have been 200-300 people in the Atrium dancing to 70's music. The CD had a huge Afro on and a Leisure Suit and was a great ring leader.:)

You dambetcha. We know who saves our butts. Hope you can make it.:)

We dont want to save your butts just want you to know that we can if needed So you can fight with confidence cause DOC is there no matter what

Hope we can too

What a great idea! I wish DH & I could join you, I am sure it's going to be a memorable cruise. DH does a lot of volunteering and makes his annual trek into the Marine Corps Birthday Party in Boston as well as coordinating the Veteran's Day Parade in our town so I know he wouldn't want to miss those events since they mean a lot to him. Please be sure to post a review with lots of pics :)

What a great idea! I wish DH & I could join you, I am sure it's going to be a memorable cruise. DH does a lot of volunteering and makes his annual trek into the Marine Corps Birthday Party in Boston as well as coordinating the Veteran's Day Parade in our town so I know he wouldn't want to miss those events since they mean a lot to him. Please be sure to post a review with lots of pics :)

Three of my room mates when in the Corps are from the Boston area. One in Summerville, one in Framingham and one in East Bridgewater. I also served with a guy from Hopkinton.:D Ohhhhhh Rahhhhh:)

Guest bahamamama1
. Host Mach has arrainged for us to hoist the US Marine Corps Flag on the DREAM on 10 Novemeber in honor of the 235th birthday of the United States Marine Corps. .

This just makes me want to cry. I know how awesome that will be. My son first went to Iraq (0311 3/4 Lima Co.) in '03, then when he went the second time in 04On 4/11/2004 he and one other marine were squad leaders together at a railroad station in Fallujah. They were told over the radio what to do, "one of you go up on the platform " so Torrey Gray, the other marine, went up on the platform. He was killed. He threw himself over another Marine (Stone) to shield him from gunfire. It was Stones first time in Iraq. My son took over Torreys squad when he died but it could have just as easily been my son who died. We realize that every single day and not a day goes by when I dont think about Torrey. I knew his mom from a website much like this one. Anywa my son is having his first baby Monday 1/4/10 (induced labor in case your wondering) and they are going to name him Grayson in rememberance of Torrey Gray. He wanted Torrey but his wife wanted Grayson, so Grayson it is. I was looking on the internet last week to see if I could find any stories about Torrey so I could put them in a scrapbook and I just found out that in 2006 they named a field at the base in Twentynine Palms after Torrey ! I am so suprised, I just found this out.. I am SO proud ! It is called "Lance Cpl Torrey L Gray field" and I am sorry if I am boring anyone with this story but my son is alive today because of Torrey.. it was 50/50 odds, either Torrey or my son. Torrey died saving a life. Torrey died on Easter Sunday, and the guy who killed him was instantly killed by a Marine from Dallas.

Here is the link if anyone cares to read the article:

http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pages/2006/Combat%20Center%20parade%20deck%20redesignated%20LCpl%20Gray%20Field.aspx

If anyone here is from Patoka IL and has been by his grave, you will see a concrete bench there with his picture on it. It was a gift from me. It says (among other things) "Freedom isn't free" which is why that is one of my favorite quotes, because freedom isn't free. I dont want to hijack a thread but with all that said, I would consider it an honor to be on a cruise such as this.

Thanks to all Marines, Corpsmen, and all of our military and their families for all sacrifices made, big and small, because freedom is NOT free. It comes at a very high price.

I am so sorry for your loss but so greatful you still have your son..My husband is in Afgh now and has been in the Corps for 18 years..I pray that everyone will come home safely..We are stationed in San Diego but my husband goes to 29 Palms every summer I will have him look for the field that was named for your sons dear friend..I hope that the new year brings you much health and happiness and give that baby a big kiss for me!!! I have 6 year twin boys and I can't get through a day without a big hug and kiss from them..all the best lisa

Guest bahamamama1
I am so sorry for your loss but so greatful you still have your son..My husband is in Afgh now and has been in the Corps for 18 years..I pray that everyone will come home safely..We are stationed in San Diego but my husband goes to 29 Palms every summer I will have him look for the field that was named for your sons dear friend..I hope that the new year brings you much health and happiness and give that baby a big kiss for me!!! I have 6 year twin boys and I can't get through a day without a big hug and kiss from them..all the best lisa

Thanks so much.. thank goodness (for me) my son is out now but I have another Marine leaving to Afghanistan any time (they never want to say when till the last minute) and he is on the east coast (N Carolina ?) more like a half son you could say. I forgot the number of his MOS but I know he sits in a portable and gives coordinates. I got him a K-Bar knife for Christmas ;)

This just makes me want to cry. I know how awesome that will be. My son first went to Iraq (0311 3/4 Lima Co.) in '03, then when he went the second time in 04On 4/11/2004 he and one other marine were squad leaders together at a railroad station in Fallujah. They were told over the radio what to do, "one of you go up on the platform " so Torrey Gray, the other marine, went up on the platform. He was killed. He threw himself over another Marine (Stone) to shield him from gunfire. It was Stones first time in Iraq. My son took over Torreys squad when he died but it could have just as easily been my son who died. We realize that every single day and not a day goes by when I dont think about Torrey. I knew his mom from a website much like this one. Anywa my son is having his first baby Monday 1/4/10 (induced labor in case your wondering) and they are going to name him Grayson in rememberance of Torrey Gray. He wanted Torrey but his wife wanted Grayson, so Grayson it is. I was looking on the internet last week to see if I could find any stories about Torrey so I could put them in a scrapbook and I just found out that in 2006 they named a field at the base in Twentynine Palms after Torrey ! I am so suprised, I just found this out.. I am SO proud ! It is called "Lance Cpl Torrey L Gray field" and I am sorry if I am boring anyone with this story but my son is alive today because of Torrey.. it was 50/50 odds, either Torrey or my son. Torrey died saving a life. Torrey died on Easter Sunday, and the guy who killed him was instantly killed by a Marine from Dallas.

Here is the link if anyone cares to read the article:

http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pages/2006/Combat%20Center%20parade%20deck%20redesignated%20LCpl%20Gray%20Field.aspx

If anyone here is from Patoka IL and has been by his grave, you will see a concrete bench there with his picture on it. It was a gift from me. It says (among other things) "Freedom isn't free" which is why that is one of my favorite quotes, because freedom isn't free. I dont want to hijack a thread but with all that said, I would consider it an honor to be on a cruise such as this.

Thanks to all Marines, Corpsmen, and all of our military and their families for all sacrifices made, big and small, because freedom is NOT free. It comes at a very high price.

Thank you for sharing this with us. You are right, Freedom isn't free. Thanks to men and women like Lance Corporal Torrey Gray, we are free.:)

If everyone does not mind, I would like to take this topic off on a little detour.....

A little background history. I am a former female marine, turned spouse of a marine.

On my last cruise, the cruise director wanted to honor all the veterans by asking them to stand and have the audience applaud for all their efforts and sacrifices. I thought it was very sweet.

After the show, the cruise director was hanging around the lounge taking questions and some lady decided to barge her way into the line to rip into him for not honoring the family members of servicemen/women. I had to do a double take because I couldn't believe how rude she was being.

Am I wrong here to believe that this woman was way out of line?

Lambie how are you doing. I haven't seen you on the DREAMers roll call lately. Yes, Mom is a Marine. Once a Marine, always a Marine.:D

Hi Mike and Laurie!!!

I can't do the DREAM... I'm waiting for Host Randy's Magic, now!!! That'll be my next group cruise... But this one sounds pretty GREAT!!! We're taking Mom on her 85th birthday cruise on January 85...

SEMPER FI!!! Let's all storm these beaches!!!!!!

If everyone does not mind, I would like to take this topic off on a little detour.....

A little background history. I am a former female marine, turned spouse of a marine.

On my last cruise, the cruise director wanted to honor all the veterans by asking them to stand and have the audience applaud for all their efforts and sacrifices. I thought it was very sweet.

After the show, the cruise director was hanging around the lounge taking questions and some lady decided to barge her way into the line to rip into him for not honoring the family members of servicemen/women. I had to do a double take because I couldn't believe how rude she was being.

Am I wrong here to believe that this woman was way out of line?

It's NEVER right to "rip into someone else" but I'll bet there was more going on here... Perhaps she lost a love one and because that one wasn't with her, she could not stand and have the honor due that loved one, paid!!!

GOD BLESS HER for her feelings!!!

Yes, she is right!!! I believe the families who give up so much -- who sacrafice being without their family member home and helping out and being able to hold and give them a hug -- I believe they should be honored and praised!!! RIGHTLY SO!!!

No, she was wrong to "rip into him" so harshly. That just is wrong...

Just my $.02....

Hey Ken, what part of Central Florida do you call home these days? We are living in DeLand, halfway between Daytona Beach and Orlando. I also wear my Marine Corps shirts and hats when I cruise and look for fellow Marines.:)

We're living in the beautiful city of Lakeland, Florida. (halfway between Tampa, and Orlando) I'm really going to try and make this cruise. I just retired, so money is questionable at this time. :eek: I'll see if I can scratch up the bucks to do this cruise, as I'd truly love to meet, and shake the hands of all the rest of you Grunts!

On our last cruise, the CD asked all the Vets to stand one evening in the big show lounge. I was amazed at how few of us there were! We got a BIG round of applause, and it gave us all a really good feeling. Is it worth the sacrifice for our freedom? YOU BET it is!

Ken

"SKY"

Hey Mikey,what a wonderful idea:)Makes me that much happier that I am on this cruise, my dad was a marine.

I think,that in this day,with attitudes about our involvement in Afganistan etc.,the servic men/women of our country need more positive expression from the general pop. Just my opinion, and I am glad I will be present for this, I predict a few tears and a whole lot of hugs.

Thanks to all the Men and Women who serve our country.

Spoke to my Marine today and he will be home tomorrow for a week. Had duty over most of the holidays. Get's off this morning. With a PDS in NOLA who would want to spend New Years Eve anywhere else.

Semper Fi from Corporal Joe K, USMC

I'm proud to say that my father was a marine. My father-in-law was a Chief Corpsman who served with the 1st Marine Division all over the Pacific including Guadalcanal, and my husband a Submariner on a boomer.

Thanks to all Marines and Navy Corpsmen who serve our wonderful country. [/b]

Archived