HELP! Need to get rid of cruise?

sunluva

I really don't know if the ES is worth all the hassle, unless you are 100% absolutely positive about who will be sailing with you and that absolutely NOTHING will come up that could cause you to need to cancel/change the booking.

People jump on this rate because they see that it's a few dollars less, and then gripe about being bothered to submit the forms for the price drops, and complain when they want to change names in a cabin (not talking about the OP), and all the other stuff that's been posted here over the months since this fare was implemented.

I'd almost bet that Carnival is making more off fees on this fare than they're giving back on price drops. They're getting people to book far in advance and they're getting people to book using this fare when it really isn't suited to their situation.

I will add that I FULLY researched the ES rates ahead of time and made sure that all in my group knew all of the requirements! It was more than a few dollars less and we were looking for the best rate possible. I never once griped about having to submit forms for the rates drops - I didn't have to as I would call my PVP and he submitted them for me!!:D (LOVE MY PVP!!!)

While I realize the ES plan isn't for everyone, it can save a LOT more than a few dollars. If I were to book our same rooms today our OV, category 6B rooms would be $629 (we paid $499). The Balc, 8C rooms are no longer available but the 8D are now $879 (we paid $610).

It all depends on your situation, of course - but I would book ES again in a heartbeat!!

Yes. Your friend should cancel ASAP and get some of her money back.

About ES, there's nothing wrong with the fare. it's just people see the price and don't read any other information and then get surprised when they can't violate the terms they agreed to.

I've booked four cruises using ES and haven't had a problem on the first two. The third is on the 3rd of Jan and the fourth is in May. So far, so good. But, all my expenses are already paid (including airfare) and I have insurance.

Ok everyone... so my BF just left me a voicemail saying she called her

'vacation planner' and was told all she could get was a credit.

I don't know what BF meant by that.

She didn't cancel as of yet. So what does that mean? I have to call her later on to get more details. Can anyone make sense out of that?

Ok everyone... so my BF just left me a voicemail saying she called her

'vacation planner' and was told all she could get was a credit.

I don't know what BF meant by that.

She didn't cancel as of yet. So what does that mean? I have to call her later on to get more details. Can anyone make sense out of that?

Hopefully not a future cruise credit to be used in a year, hopefully credit to her credit card. She should only lose the deposit, not the rest if she is paid in full.

I'm not sure. I guess I'll have to have her come over and call with me there. I'm wondering what's wrong. Could it be a different plan than the Early Saver? She just sent me a text message saying "she can only get some credit... no refund... and a cancellation fee of $50 per person. And that it would be best to find someone who will pay the $50". :confused:

When she gets out of work, I'll call her.

I'm not sure. I guess I'll have to have her come over and call with me there. I'm wondering what's wrong. Could it be a different plan than the Early Saver? She just sent me a text message saying "she can only get some credit... no refund... and a cancellation fee of $50 per person. And that it would be best to find someone who will pay the $50". :confused:

When she gets out of work, I'll call her.

That sounds like $50 to change cruises, and they are talking name changes .. where one original person still will have to NOT cancel. That doesnt sound like a good option... she needs to call back and ask about cancelling ... not be put off by other options to change someone in the cabin.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/cancellation_policy.aspx

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/EarlySaver.aspx

I am not an expert on this but it seems to me she should be getting a full refund less the deposits. She should ask to speak to a manager and discuss the rules as posted on the website.

Exactly what she needs to do.

I really do not see much benefit for the early saver program.

If you do your homework, there can indeed be a benefit.

When we booked our Pride cruise for next summer, the ES rates were $80 less than the regular rate. For my family of four (two staterooms), that's $320 savings.

I invested $120 total (covers all four of us...my kids were free on the policy) in a trip insurance policy that included the "cancel for any reason" provision.

The way I see it, if I balance the $320 savings against the extra $25 it cost for the "cancel for any reason" provision (I'd have bought the trip insurance regardless), I'm ahead $295.

I really don't know if the ES is worth all the hassle, unless you are 100% absolutely positive about who will be sailing with you and that absolutely NOTHING will come up that could cause you to need to cancel/change the booking.

If you only had to change the cruise to a later date, you'd probably still be better off with ES. It only costs $50 to make the change, that's less than the cost savings you typically get using ES.

If you only had to change the cruise to a later date, you'd probably still be better off with ES. It only costs $50 to make the change, that's less than the cost savings you typically get using ES.

The price differs depending on cat. and sailings and other sales.....I have seen past customer rates lower or the same price as ES.....plus you need to pay extra for the cancel for anything insurance.........

If you book regular fare you still can get the price drops until final payment and if you see a better deal or itinerary you can cancel and rebook without penalty........

There are too many restrictions and none are in the customers favor.........if you cancel and use your credit towards another sailing within a year.......you have to put another deposit down which is another non refundable deposit........which is totaly ridiculous to say the least.........JMHO......

If you do your homework, there can indeed be a benefit.

When we booked our Pride cruise for next summer, the ES rates were $80 less than the regular rate. For my family of four (two staterooms), that's $320 savings.

I invested $120 total (covers all four of us...my kids were free on the policy) in a trip insurance policy that included the "cancel for any reason" provision.

The way I see it, if I balance the $320 savings against the extra $25 it cost for the "cancel for any reason" provision (I'd have bought the trip insurance regardless), I'm ahead $295.

Am I understanding it correctly that if there are any further reductions....you will get those as well??

Ok, so here's the story. My best friend booked a Carnival cruise for 2/7/10 on Victory out of San Juan. Cruise is paid in full. She got a balcony.

Her and her boyfriend split up and she had nobody to go with so she was taking her daughter. Carnival charged $250 to change BF's name to DD's name. Not a big deal. Well.... since moving out of BF's house, she is now paying her own rent, bills, etc... and now car broke down. She can no longer afford the airfare to San Juan. (i know... soap opera...!) She cannot get a refund??? Something about early saver? I don't know... I've never cruised with Carnival, I am not sure about all this. I am looking for suggestions. She is a single mom of 2 kids and I hate to see her lose out on $1600. She has tried asking friends to buy the cruise. What now? Can we try to sell cheap on Craigslist or something?

Is that even possible? Are there any ways that Carnival would give her some money back, or even credit on a different/future cruise?

She just wants to "forget it" and chalk it up to a bad experience. But I don't want her to give up. There must be something she can do.

Comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

With Early Saver, the deposit is nonrefundable...period.... and, no "they" won't do anything for her. It is what it is and applies to everyone.

Now, if she has purchased trip or travel insurance, there might be a chance....but even that is "iffy". Insurance usually only covers you if somebody gets sick or dies.

She's basically up that famous creek we all find ourselves in once in a while.

The good thing about Early Saver (if that's what she booked) is that her deposit can be applied to another cruise within 12 months, less a 50.00 per person fee. However, the remaining funds can't be used for a deposit on a new cruise.....only for final payment.

Ok, so here's the story. My best friend booked a Carnival cruise for 2/7/10 on Victory out of San Juan. Cruise is paid in full. She got a balcony.

Her and her boyfriend split up and she had nobody to go with so she was taking her daughter. Carnival charged $250 to change BF's name to DD's name. Not a big deal. Well.... since moving out of BF's house, she is now paying her own rent, bills, etc... and now car broke down. She can no longer afford the airfare to San Juan. (i know... soap opera...!) She cannot get a refund??? Something about early saver? I don't know... I've never cruised with Carnival, I am not sure about all this. I am looking for suggestions. She is a single mom of 2 kids and I hate to see her lose out on $1600. She has tried asking friends to buy the cruise. What now? Can we try to sell cheap on Craigslist or something?

Is that even possible? Are there any ways that Carnival would give her some money back, or even credit on a different/future cruise?

She just wants to "forget it" and chalk it up to a bad experience. But I don't want her to give up. There must be something she can do.

I just checked Jetblue from Boston on 2/5 returning 2/14 . being a bit creative they have a flight that leaves at 11:59 pm , arrives in San Juan at 4:54 am on 2/6, only $115 , and a few flights on 2/14 (say 4 pm departure) also $115. Just need to grab an inexpensive hotel in San Juan for the night of 2/6, I'm sure someone could suggest something (I've personally never been) thats reasonable. Obviously I dont know where in NH you are located , but it might be worth checking out. Might also be able to fly inexpensively out of burlington on southwest and pick up a cheap flight on someone else who flys to San Juan, or maybe SWA does fly there .

Just another point of view .

Similar situation happened to my husband and I this year ( financial) we just changed the sail date, moved it to LATE next year. It will cost her 100.00 but is better then losing all of it.. Call them, and see if you can do that....

Am I understanding it correctly that if there are any further reductions....you will get those as well??

Yup. During a short period of time about 5 months after I booked, the price went down $30/pp. I filled out the proper form and saved an additional $120 for all four of us.

Any further price drops, right up to 2 days before we sail, I can get credit for.

I just checked Jetblue from Boston on 2/5 returning 2/14 . being a bit creative they have a flight that leaves at 11:59 pm , arrives in San Juan at 4:54 am on 2/6, only $115 , and a few flights on 2/14 (say 4 pm departure) also $115. Just need to grab an inexpensive hotel in San Juan for the night of 2/6, I'm sure someone could suggest something (I've personally never been) thats reasonable. Obviously I dont know where in NH you are located , but it might be worth checking out. Might also be able to fly inexpensively out of burlington on southwest and pick up a cheap flight on someone else who flys to San Juan, or maybe SWA does fly there .

Just another point of view .

I appreciate that... yes. She would have gone out of Boston. Believe me... I helped her check out all those flights. Even hotels. The cheapest we could get was about $850 round trip for 2 w/one night at a 3 star hotel. At this point, she can't afford anything towards airfare since she is now having to pay for 2 people rather than just herself. Honestly, it's probably best at this point that the trip just gets cancelled. She is going to call Carnival again tomorrow from my house. As I printed out the cancellation policy for her (given to me on this message board.. thank you to whoever sent it). So she'll have it in hand when she calls to cancel. But I do appreciate everyone's help and I'm sure my BF does as well.

I really do not see much benefit for the early saver program.

While it's true ES isn't for everyone, for many of us, it's a real deal.

I've sailed 2 cruises on ES and have received reductions totalling 560.00 over those 2. Have a third booked - also at ES rate and am hoping for a reduction after the final payment date next month.

You really need to be careful, however. Need to make sure you're traveling AND that you've read and understand all the rules on the fare.... I also purchase trip insurance.....just in case.

In defense of Early Saver, for people like us, it has been great. We are both government employees, so we get off when we take off. We travel as a family and there are 4 (5 if mom comes), so the numbers and names don't change. We pay for the cruise with our tax return money, so I know that is covered. We get trip insurance to cover illness/injury/death that would prevent us for taking the cruise. If you fit this type of profile, it is great. And no, the price drop for takes 2 seconds to fill out - it is no big deal.

If you are booking with a boyfriend or friend, or your work or employment status is subject to change, then I agree, ES is probably not for you.

I understand. And the first time that I was eligible for ES (booked this Miracle cruise 14 months in advance), was the first time ever that I wasn't 100% sure that DD was going to be traveling with me.

So what happened? She went with me after all.

Still, I got 2 price drops (>$225 PP total) using just the regular past guest rate. No price drops after final due date because the category (8M) was sold out, so I didn't "suffer" for not having booked ES after all.

My point was that there are a lot of people who are booking this rate without understanding the limitations and then they get upset and feel Carnival won't work with them! :rolleyes:

There's a reason ES rates are low. There are a lot of restrictions, just like with the cheapest airfares. If you want flexibility, you need to book using a different rate.

Until the economy tanked, I've never had rates go down (actually, first price drop ever was on Fascination last December). I'm going to take a wild guess and say that when it fully recovers, that will again be the case and people using ES assuming they'll get price drops up until the last minute won't be happy when that no longer happens.

Archived