Southampton

rge

I just received a mailing from Cunard with a very good price for the 5/21 eastbound crossing. I'm thinking of combining this with the 6/1 westbound, but it leaves 4 nights in Southampton, 5/28 - 6/1. Since we just got back last week from a 14 dayer to Hawaii on the Golden Princess we have to be a bit budget minded (the fare seems too good to pass up). So my question to those of you familiar with Southampton is there a reasonably priced hotel and what is there to do for 4 days in and around the city or in other words is this a good idea?

...and do the 4-night "in-between' voyage to Brussels, Amsterdam & Normandy?

You could do the 17-night combined voyage for as little as $3164 per person (plus airfare to/from NYC)..or even a little less if you're willing to change cabins between voyages.

Check travel agencies to see which ones might have "group space" (eg: reduced rates).

From Cunard's website, the 5/21 voyage is $795 and the 6/1 is $895 (World Club member) the 17 day voyage is $2715, That's $1690 vs $2715 per person, it seems that booking the 2 separate voyages is much lower than the one 17 dayer or am I missing something.

I like Southampton. But 4 nights seems like a lot.

I'd be thinking about taking the train into London for maybe 3 nights. If you book a Southampton hotel for night #4 maybe they'd hold the majority of your luggage allowing you to travel light for 3 days?

Regards, Colin.

I like Southampton too...perfect location for side trips to say Bath, Stone Henge, Portsmouth, and I think there is also a castle nearby...maybe Warwick?

Bath and Stonehenge aren't too far, but Warwick is miles away. It is also horribly overpriced and gimmicky.

You'd be far better going to the Tower of London. Or one of many other castles around.

Southampton is very nice, and there's lots to do in the immediate area.

As already mentioned, Bath and Stonehenge are nearby. London is a 2-hour or so train journey away.

We spent some time in Winchester, about 40 minutes or so from Southampton, when we were there in July. Beautiful town, and the Winchester Cathedral is a must-see.

Living in Southampton, I would suggest that it makes an excellent base for seeing a cross section of the best of England, or the Continent.

Here are a few suggestions;

A day on the Isle of Wight. Top attraction, Osborne House Queen Victoria'a main home, plus Cowes yachting resort.

A day trip to France from Portsmouth.

Bournemouth, New Forest, Lymington as already suggested.

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. Nelson's flagship, Gunwharf Quays shopping outlet for classic English brands.

Stonhenge plus Salisbury.

None of these are what I would call high power attractions, like the Tower of London, but on the plus side they also will not have massive queues (lines) to see them. They will all give a good sample of some English gems around here.

Hope that this helps.

Rge if its any help Hilton.co.uk have a 50% sale at the moment (book by latest January 31st) for all there hotels in England. I did check your dates for Southampton £84 (£336) per night no breakfast but they did have Kensington Hilton (London) for £80 with breakfast (£320) , situated near Londons major museums (all free) and just a short bus ride to Piccadilly. i have just booked this hotel for a summer weekend and also the Waldorf hilton for Valentines weekend. All prices per room. Obviously the promotional rate rooms might not be there as the days go bye. Good luck.

Fred.

I had never thought on spending a few days in Southampton, but now I'm really into it. I did my research on Winchester and Bath, and liked both of them, but I'd like to ask you British: which would you say is one of more British towns nearby Southampton? By British I mean... well, British, old style.;)

Thanks for all the replies. The more I think about it using Southampton as a base and venturing out to some of the sites that you all have mentioned sounds like a really nice holiday. Also it would give my wife a good sampling of England outside of London. On our last crossing in Dec. 1999 on QE2, we spent 3 nights prior to the westbound voyage in London. I'd like to rent a car but I haven't driven on the wrong side of the road icon12.gif since 1962 when I returned to Norwich where I was born during the War.

If you are staying in Southampton, you must go to Salisbury and visit the Cathedral, Wnchester is not too far away and as other have mentioned neither in Bath, Stonehenge and the New Forest where you can visit Beaulieu motor museum, and if you like even stay in a hotel in the New Forest. There is a lot you can do for your 4 days, enjoy your visit.

To the person adding up the cruises to compare to a longer one - you forgot to add the 4 day cruise between the eastbound and westbound trips. Depending on the cabin choice - it could be cheaper to book each one individually. You'll have to work it out both ways.

We are on the June 1st - Westbound Voyage. Have not been on a Cunard in 20 years. The last one was Cunard Countess (ugh) so we're happy to be going on such a beautiful ship.

We'll be staying the night before at the Holiday Inn Southampton. Staying in the area there for 4 nights sounds like a good idea, too.

You can't go wrong with whatever you decide.

Happy Every Year,

MaryAnn

I just received a mailing from Cunard with a very good price for the 5/21 eastbound crossing. I'm thinking of combining this with the 6/1 westbound, but it leaves 4 nights in Southampton, 5/28 - 6/1. Since we just got back last week from a 14 dayer to Hawaii on the Golden Princess we have to be a bit budget minded (the fare seems too good to pass up). So my question to those of you familiar with Southampton is there a reasonably priced hotel and what is there to do for 4 days in and around the city or in other words is this a good idea?

I am traveling on both 5/21 and 6/1 and will be spending the weekend in London, which is a one hour, twenty minute train ride (four trains per hour) away. You can store you big luggage with Cunard for a very reasonable price.

There are lots of options when in London, including traveling to Paris or Brussels on the Eurostar, or staying closer to London with day trips to Windsor or Bath.

One day this year we are doing the Clerkenwell Walk in London to spy the building used as Hercule Poirot's apartment in the TV series.

If you should plan to stay closer to Southampton. I would recommend visiting the Marie Rose Museum in Portsmouth, and/or spending time in the New Forest.

One thing you should consider, however, is that the three days you will be in England will be the three day late May Bank Holiday ( like our Memorial Day ) and it will be a very busy time, so book hotels as soon as you finalize your plans.

I am looking forward to it myself.

Best Mike

As BigMike said next door to Southampton is Portsmouth with the Mary Rose, Henry viii s flagship (the hull will not be on show till 2012 due to relocation) this forms part of Portsmouths historic dockyard (historicdockyard.co.uk) also including Nelsons H.M.S.Victory, H.M.S.Warrior and various displays/activities. Also nearby along the old sea defences (lovely walk) to Southsea is the Isle of Wight hovercraft then a bit further is the D-Day museum, a good day out.

Fred.

Rge if its any help Hilton.co.uk have a 50% sale at the moment (book by latest January 31st) for all there hotels in England. I did check your dates for Southampton £84 (£336) per night no breakfast but they did have Kensington Hilton (London) for £80 with breakfast (£320) , situated near Londons major museums (all free) and just a short bus ride to Piccadilly. i have just booked this hotel for a summer weekend and also the Waldorf hilton for Valentines weekend. All prices per room. Obviously the promotional rate rooms might not be there as the days go bye. Good luck.

Fred.

Thanks for posting this information, I have now booked a room for the night before our sailing in June at a great rate including buffet breakfast. Brilliant!

Portsmouth would be my place to spend some time. The historic dockyards and d-day museum and a trip up the spinnaker tower for a start. Whatever you decide have a fabulous trip.

Thanks again, hansol1966, for the hotel sale information.

Sarah

For you Cruise Critic friends who insist on driving on the wrong side of the road and may be a tad apprehensive about driving in the UK can I suggest that you consider the trains.

Suprisingly Southampton is a hub. well served by fast and frequent trains to Winchester, Salisbury, Portsmouth London and the New Forest.

In most of the above places the stations are situated right in the centre of the city so there is no taxi into town to factor in.

If you are travelling out of peak times, the fares are not too extortionate, but I will leave you to research and consider whether you agree. South-West Trains are the local company to Google.

Hope that this helps.

Thanks Camgirl definately a good deal especialy for London, a nice breakfast is a bonus.

Cunard were giving a favourable exchange rate for onboard credit but just for travellers from the UK (when we went Oct 09 they gave us $1.89 to the pound whilst the best rate i could get on land was $1.55) you might know about this Camgirl but does anybody know if it is still available.

Fred.

Hi Paulista,

There are literally dozens of typical english villages around Southampton / Winchester which are absolute jewels. It really depends on your interests.

Bucklers Hard near Beaulieu is a preserved shipbuilding village at the head of the Beaulieu river. Southwick, north of Portsmouth is also a well preserved village. The reason both of these are thus, is that the lord of the manor has kept tight control over their "development".

Another suggestion is if you are interested in Jane Austen. Most of her life was spent in a group of small places about 20 miles from Winchester and she died in central Winchester.

I am keen on sailing and Lymington is a small yachting town on the coast whch I always love to visit.

If you can give me a clue whether any of this sounds interesting, I will do some more digging for you !!! Try Google images for a sample of the above.

Hi,

If you do decide to venture into London from Southampton and you want a really really cheap train ticket try www.megatrain.com. It may be a little early to book the ticket right now, but nearer your trip you will be able to buy a ticket for just £2 (one way) or thereabouts. Sometimes they are available for a £1 if you get in really early.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm leaning toward either the Jurys Inn, Premier Inn or Novetel. The Novetel is more money, but it's right across from the train station. I've decided not to rent a car so the train looks like the way to go. Do you know if these hotels have a shuttle to and from the pier and will they drive you to various parts of the city like restaurants or tourist attractions?

Archived