4 Year Old and using his Soda Card to get him a juice question...

highbridge5

Can I use my 4 year old's card to get him a juice at the poolside bar by myself or do I have to take him with me because of the "only the person on the card can use the card" thing?

I hate to have to drag him out of the pool to get him an OJ.

Going on the Pride in a few weeks and just curious.

TIA.

highbridge5

I dont see anyone else jumping in here, so Ill answer before this gets buried. If it was my 4 year old. I would take his card up to the bar by the pool and just say this is for my 4 year old, can you fix him a OJ. At worse you can point him out to the bartender.

I cant see this being at all a problem.

Last cruise our son took a friend and they had their own room.

We never took the time to switch cards so our son went around with my wife's drink card and my wife went around with our sons drink card all week. There was never any issue with either of them (we checked our sons card to make sure he was not getting into the booze).

I dont see anyone else jumping in here, so Ill answer before this gets buried. If it was my 4 year old. I would take his card up to the bar by the pool and just say this is for my 4 year old, can you fix him a OJ. At worse you can point him out to the bartender.

I cant see this being at all a problem.

We've done this and have been asked by the bartender to point them out. It also helps to use the same couple of bartenders/waiters so you don't go thru that routine everytime.

You could always teach him how to order from the bar.:D

Have you thought to just get the card in your name,

so you don't have to worry about it, or do they watch to see who drinks the OJ?

I say why buy the card at all.

If you need juice for a 4 year old, how much does he drink?

Get extra juice in the am B4 they put it away, or Room service for free.

Put it in you mini fridge.

Maybe even bring a thermal Cup with a lid for storage,

and then it would stay cold by the pool too.

Just a thought from someone who is cheap...

Or wise, I haven't made up my mind yet :rolleyes:

Have you thought to just get the card in your name,

so you don't have to worry about it, or do they watch to see who drinks the OJ?

I say why buy the card at all. :rolleyes:

the card for the 4 year old will be $4 a day and for the adult $6 a day. I think Id pay the child's price, but I am cheap I guess :D (or maybe Im wise too) lol We agree.

I too could do without the card ... and do.

I have 3 boys who are probably all going to want a drink if another kid wants a drink so I am looking at 3 kids and 3 soda cards and potentially taking 3 kids with me to go get something.

I used my 4 year old as the example to make it simpler to explain.

I'm thankful for the practical experience stories. I was hoping for a response from someone who had some real-life experience with using their kids soda card poolside. I was hoping that my kids could be on the pool deck or in the pool hanging out with the rest of the family while I go get something for them. I just didn't know things really work when you are on the ship. It is nice to know that it just might mean pointing them out and the advice to go to the same wait-person or bartender is a good one.

Really, we'd probably all prefer ice water but I can't figure out where or how one gets water other than buying it by the bottle.

You are correct, my 4 year old will probably be in the pool with his dad and/or older brothers if it is shallow enough for him to stand. Definately with an adult if the pool is too deep.

And yes, he probably won't be in the pool and drinking juice at the same time. And reading that question, I realized that I'd have to be sure the kids were still supervised before I went to get stuff. We are travelling with 4 adults and 3 kids so there will be plenty of eyes.

We plan to bring bottles that can be filled/refilled. I was not aware that juice was available for no charge during breakfast or for no charge from room service. That is one area where Carnival's web site seems to be unclear about whether juice is included or not and where it is considered

"beverage service". I should bring an empty bottle just for juice and keep it in the fridge in the room.

As far as cost, my thinking was exactly the same with the drink card. I would not drink the 3 sodas or juices a day myself to justify the $6/day but my kids might drink enough juice to justify the 4.50 charge per day - especially if there is a 1.95 each charge for it at meals. I'd rather have them drink juice than soda or iced tea that has caffiene.

I just remembered that they have lemonade as well as iced tea. My kids might like that more than juice anyway. At least the older two. My 4 year old prefers milk and juice.

There are 7 of us and I am just not sure if or how many soda cards would make sense. My mom says that she wouldn't drink 3 sodas a day but I know that when we've been on vacation with her, she drinks a lot of Diet Coke. If she could occasionally mooch one off the kids, we might be good.

If it turns out that the the tap water is yucky and the soda card will let me fill my kids water bottles with decent tasting ice water, it might be worth it - even if I have to ask them to come with me to get it.

hb5

Did you know you are allowed to bring on some water and Soda too.

I think we brought on 1/2 case each Water and Soda.

we just reused the water bottles. the Tap water on the ship was pretty good.

This is a good place to ask questions about what is available to you on the ship.

On my cruise they also had milk in the morning, buffet area

They had both Reg. and Choc. in the little cartons sitting in ice (am only)

I don't think you pay for juice in the Main Dinning room at any meal.

Soda Maybe, not sure on that one.

We never wanted to fill up on anything but the yummy food, so stuck with a glass of water.

Really, we'd probably all prefer ice water but I can't figure out where or how one gets water other than buying it by the bottle.

I usually prefer water also and I just go up to the bar and ask for a large glass of ice water. There's never a problem. I try to use the same bar waiter and will slip him/her a buck or two as a tip every couple of days.

Milk is avail in the MDR and at the Lido. It is only out during breakfast, but you can get it by asking for it most of the time.

Did you know you are allowed to bring on some water and Soda too.

I think we brought on 1/2 case each Water and Soda.

we just reused the water bottles. the Tap water on the ship was pretty good.

This is a good place to ask questions about what is available to you on the ship.

I don't think you pay for juice in the Main Dinning room at any meal.

Soda Maybe, not sure on that one.

We never wanted to fill up on anything but the yummy food, so stuck with a glass of water.

First, I love your avatar! How clever!

Do you remember if there are water fountains or if you can get the tap water on the Lido deck where the other beverages are located?

I have heard different things about what is available in the MDR and room service versus what you can get at the bar. For example, coffee is included in the MDR but it is extra if you order one at the bar. Maybe juice is the same way.

I'll check out the buffet and my bill on the TV in the evening. I assume that all will be clearer after the first day or so.

With 7 of us, we are planning on bringing everything we are allowed to bring - 3 coolers (one for each cabin) with 7 people's worth the allowed soda and/or bottled water (I think they allow a 12pk or so per person) plus 4 bottles of wine (4 adults).

I am not sure why I am obsessing over the incidental costs. Perhaps I am worried that I'll get to the end of the cruise and find a staggering S&S bill and then find that I could have easily avoided half of it by being more informed. It is weird to have to pay for things on one part of the ship that are free on another part of the ship. No?

As long as the tap water tastes OK and my kids can get milk when they want (via room service or by stocking up in the morning) and we bring what we can, I am thinking that we should be fine. (It is not just my kids. My husband drinks about a gallon of milk a day too for his protein shakes and whatnot.) The occasional $2 that we'll spend for a craving is just part of the cost of relaxing.

hb5

I too was going to suggest the kool-aid packets or which ever brand you like. They are easy to pack. As well as bringing on some pop or juice bags.

Not sure which ship your sailing but if you plan to be on the main pool on the lido the drink station is about as far away as the bar. Even if you are a little bit away it sounds like you have enough bodies to allow someone to walk to the drink station.

Another thing to note if you purchase the drink cards on port you get charged tax and such and each day the price goes down. Maybe try not having them for the first day and see how it goes. The price adds up fast 4.95 x 3 x 15% grat x days at sea = a small fortune. But if you have the money for it and think you will use it it is a great convience to have them.

"Really, we'd probably all prefer ice water but I can't figure out where or how one gets water other than buying it by the bottle."

This will be easy when you are on the ship. They have nice big drink stations in the Lido buffet area with coffee/tea and cold drinks. There is an ice dispenser and water dispenser. The water tasted good. There is a dispenser of juices in the am and lemonaid and ice tea the rest of the day.

There are also stations out on the lido deck by the pool. There is also self service icecream station there too. You just walk up grab a plastic tumbler and help yourself to ice water, lemonaide or icetea. No wait. My teens were always grabbing half a glass of lemonaid here and there.

It won't be hard to figure out. We didn't invest in the cards as I figured we would be in port much of the time too. I told them they were free to order a soda whenever they wanted and they ended up only wanting 2 the whole cruise! The liked the lemonaide just fine, but thats just them.

You can always add the card a day or so into the cruise and only pay for the remaining days, so there is no rush to make a decision. You can see if the free stuff meets your needs first.

Also ice water is always served automatically in the dinning room. There is an ice bucket in the cabin that is always kept fresh by your room attendant and glasses in your cabin. I packed a big water bottle and never got it out.

Thanks all for the info! I am the ring leader of a trip 7 people who have never been on a cruise, including me. One is older and one is expecting and three are small and still think their mom knows everything. All are on a budget and trying to keep costs down. I'm just trying my best to pretend that I am not completely clueless :D.

I only know what I know because I asked the EXPERTS and they were great!

hb5

Thanks all for the info! I am the ring leader of a trip 7 people who have never been on a cruise, including me. One is older and one is expecting and three are small and still think their mom knows everything. All are on a budget and trying to keep costs down. I'm just trying my best to pretend that I am not completely clueless :D.

I only know what I know because I asked the EXPERTS and they were great!

hb5

I know this feeling well. Me and hubby have been on 3 cruises. Twice we have brought newbies and this time we are traveling again with a family with one cruise under there belt. I do feel like the weight of it all is on my shoulders. I love to plan but am always worried what if they will revolt on me LOL

I have 3 boys who are probably all going to want a drink if another kid wants a drink so I am looking at 3 kids and 3 soda cards and potentially taking 3 kids with me to go get something.

I used my 4 year old as the example to make it simpler to explain.

I'm thankful for the practical experience stories. I was hoping for a response from someone who had some real-life experience with using their kids soda card poolside. I was hoping that my kids could be on the pool deck or in the pool hanging out with the rest of the family while I go get something for them. I just didn't know things really work when you are on the ship. It is nice to know that it just might mean pointing them out and the advice to go to the same wait-person or bartender is a good one.

You are correct, my 4 year old will probably be in the pool with his dad and/or older brothers if it is shallow enough for him to stand. Definately with an adult if the pool is too deep.

And yes, he probably won't be in the pool and drinking juice at the same time. And reading that question, I realized that I'd have to be sure the kids were still supervised before I went to get stuff. We are travelling with 4 adults and 3 kids so there will be plenty of eyes.

We plan to bring bottles that can be filled/refilled. I was not aware that juice was available for no charge during breakfast or for no charge from room service. That is one area where Carnival's web site seems to be unclear about whether juice is included or not and where it is considered

"beverage service". I should bring an empty bottle just for juice and keep it in the fridge in the room.

As far as cost, my thinking was exactly the same with the drink card. I would not drink the 3 sodas or juices a day myself to justify the $6/day but my kids might drink enough juice to justify the 4.50 charge per day - especially if there is a 1.95 each charge for it at meals. I'd rather have them drink juice than soda or iced tea that has caffiene.

I just remembered that they have lemonade as well as iced tea. My kids might like that more than juice anyway. At least the older two. My 4 year old prefers milk and juice.

There are 7 of us and I am just not sure if or how many soda cards would make sense. My mom says that she wouldn't drink 3 sodas a day but I know that when we've been on vacation with her, she drinks a lot of Diet Coke. If she could occasionally mooch one off the kids, we might be good.

If it turns out that the the tap water is yucky and the soda card will let me fill my kids water bottles with decent tasting ice water, it might be worth it - even if I have to ask them to come with me to get it.

hb5

Milk is available at the dessert section of the buffet whenever it is open. Just ask the crew member serving the wonderful desserts and they will be happy to get it for you

With 7 of us, we are planning on bringing everything we are allowed to bring - 3 coolers (one for each cabin) with 7 people's worth the allowed soda and/or bottled water (I think they allow a 12pk or so per person) plus 4 bottles of wine (4 adults).

I am not sure why I am obsessing over the incidental costs. Perhaps I am worried that I'll get to the end of the cruise and find a staggering S&S bill and then find that I could have easily avoided half of it by being more informed. It is weird to have to pay for things on one part of the ship that are free on another part of the ship. No?

I think you have valid concerns. I plan for all the details myself, so I can understand where your questions are coming from. Fortunately for us, our 4-yr-old usually prefers water, so we don't have to worry about the soda/juice concerns. He just absolutely needs a cup of milk with breakfast (which won't be problem). I do wonder about the water though. I drink A LOT of water... I can go through up to a gallon a day.

Where do you find the info on how much bottled water is allowed per person? I have read postings that mentions checking in a case of water, don't know how many bottles though...

I usually take on board for myself either a large refillable water bottle (at least 30 oz) that I refill with juice in the morning at the Lido and take to my cabin to sip later in the afternoon when I am hot and tired but you could easily carry it with you to the pool. I also reused water bottles from bottled water we carried on so I could throw them away in port. If you eat in the dining room at lunch or the kids go back to the room for a nap - order some juice. Room service is available 24 hours so for the 4 year old that isn't going and getting their own, he probably won't drink that much. For older kids that will be in and out of Camp Carnival/Circle C - soda cards are a nice treat. My 13 is already asking for one for our May cruise. I think it will be part of his birthday present.

Where do you find the info on how much bottled water is allowed per person? I have read postings that mentions checking in a case of water, don't know how many bottles though...

I was looking at the FAQ that talks about bringing on booze policy:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liquor_and_Beverage_Consumption_Policy.aspx

In particular, three parts of it:

"However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise."

"Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages."

"However for purposes of housing small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage."

The last one is not written very well. I think it should read:

"However for purposes of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications, small personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” are permitted as carry-on luggage."

For all this time, I assumed that small quantity meant "what you can fit in a 12x12x12 cooler". After reading this FAQ again, it seems that the "small quantity" and the 12x12x12 cooler are unrelated.

The same policy is on pg 32 and 33 of this "Know before you go" e-brochure:

http://www.carnival-brochures.com/welcome/ebook.asp?w=1600

This is written better and the two topics are closer together and makes it sound more like the "small quantity" and the cooler are related.

For the cooler, they are talking about carry-on luggage and how big of a cooler you can bring as carry on luggage. Nowhere, do they seem to say what a "small quantity" of non-alcoholic beverages entails.

I have yet to see a CC poster complain about Carnival confiscating water or soda because they brought too much.

Most of the posters on CC talk about either packing a separate suitcase full of beverages and checking them as checked bags or just plain old slapping a luggage tag on a case of water and checking it through unaltered.

I like the suitcase idea because it should leave a nice empty suitcase to bring home goodies!

I say, "small quantity" is whatever you say it is since they were not more specific...

A suitcase full of water is bound to be extremely heavy. There is a limit to just how much weight I'm willing to schlep in and out of the car and hotels etc with 3 kids in tow. That will inherently limit what I bring.

I hope that I got the links right.

hb5

Archived