If You Lived In/Near Embarkation Port?

sail7seas

The reasoning of doing the same ship and same ports getting boring does not make sense. Do you ask people that have time shares if they get bored going to the same place year after year? When I booked the same itinerary 2 years in a row on the Noordam my brother said "you're doing that again, won't you be bored" This after he just came home from his Aruba timeshare for the fifth year in a row. Believe me I wasn't bored-just spoiled and pampered.

I think I'm in the "maybe" or "it depends" category. If we lived close to a major port, I'd certainly take a good look at the offerings. There are times when there are some really good opportunities on some sailings, and if we were a few hours away, it would be great to throw some things in a suitcase and take a little spontaneous vacation.

For the first time, we drove to New Jersey for our September New England cruise, and I have to say that it was so nice not to have to worry about weighing the suitcases, going through airport security, paying baggage handling fees, and making sure that the liquids were packed properly. But that was a 400-mile drive for us, and still required some pre-planning and reservations.

Our next cruise is out of Miami in March, and I am disgusted trying to get any airline reservations that will work at a reasonable cost, and I'm really not looking forward to flying at all. The airfares and lodging expenses really offset a good price on a cruise. This is the time of year, for many reasons, that I envy the people who live in Florida.:)

We still choose our primary vacations by itinerary. I wouldn't sail a ship or cruiseline or itinerary I don't like for convenience, but I might consider a HAL, Celebrity, or Princess cruise as an extra little getaway if we were near and the price was right.

Now that we are in South Florida full time, we love being able to drive to a port. As a family Xmas activity, we have taken the RCI Behemoth of the Seas to the Caribbean for three years; they offered 4 - 5 day 'quickies' to places we'd seen, but it was the family aspect that made it fun. This year it rained the entire cruise but we had a great time. Next year we're taking the W'dam for a longer cruise, but it's still out of FLL.

We have also taken longer cruises out of FLL. In 2008 we cruised on the Prinsendam r/t FLL on the Grand Med and Black Sea and are thinking about doing it again in 2011 if God and the Federal Reserve allow us to.

Another advantage: Parking for folks with handicap tags/plates is free at the Miami cruise facility [and Miami International Airport]. We're hoping the this spreads to FLL soon.

We are close (1/2 day drive) to Galveston. I've done Carnival and Princess from there, not Royal Caribbean. Galveston has older ships and they're all full of Texans (I'm one, I can say it). That being said...we've tried it and I'm not so sure we'll be doing it again. Wished we took advantage of the one year Celebrity sailed the Panama Canal, but oh well, not meant to be.

If you happened to live reasonably close to an embarkation port, would you sail that ship/itinerary just because you wouldn't have to travel to join the ship? Would the ease of embarkation/debark be worth your cruising a ship/cruise line that was not necessarily on your 'must do list'?

Yes to all questions asked.

Joanie

We would love to take a cruise from Anchorage/Seward ports round trip...but the fact is it would cost us about as much (if not more) for an inside cabin to do a b2b 14 day in AK as it does for us to fly to Ft. Lauderdale and take a 14 day in a veranda to caribbean ports. Our flights are always free (helps to have a cc from alaska airlines and put all our charges through it) and I do enjoy the warmth in the winter. Makes the winters shorter.

Thought of taking a transit cruise from florida to ak...but it would still cost two cruises to get all the way home. I may live in Alaska but have never been to Juneau, Sitka or Stagway and would like to see how the 'southerners' live!:D

HAL, bring our Noordam back to NYC for the Caribbean cruises...not Bermuda. The Veendam is no longer desirable for us since the ruination of the aft deck and the piano bar.

Agree.. Would book the Noordam once a year if they came back..

HAL to date has been my favorite line.. But sence I perfer not to fly I am going to give Carnival Miracle a try.. The Miracle is very much the same design as the Vista ships..

I hopfully booked a week when there will not be to many youngsters.. I was able to grab one of the aft wrap suites to hang out in if things do get out of control.. :rolleyes:

Love being able to drive to port, and love sea days..

Bulldog

KK, we all do what works best for us. If Sail did do the same cruise over and over(and she doesn't) why should that bother you?

None of us has to explain how or when or why we cruise the way we do. Those are personal decisions. Vive Le difference !:)

It doesn't bother me -- sail started this thread because of a comment I made on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22564311#post22564311

It doesn't bother me -- sail started this thread because of a comment I made on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=22564311#post22564311

:confused: Noooo, that is not why I started this thread.

You know what happens when we Assume? Your assumption, in this case, is incorrect.

I started this thread due to increasing inconvenience of air travel. We flew to FLL in November and will do so again for our upcoming Eurodam cruises and I don't look forward to it.

You know what happens when we Assume? Your assumption, in this case, is incorrect.

I started this thread due to increasing inconvenience of air travel. We flew to FLL in November and will do so again for our upcoming Eurodam cruises and I don't look forward to it.

NO comment.

Yes, the flying problems (restrictions) is the reason we go mostly from NY/NJ -- do wish there would be more choices of itinerary. However, each cruise has different people and different feels. Just love to cruise. Vicki:)

Suse,

Maasdam is a very favorite ship of ours. We have sailed her so much and know, like and respect so many of her crew, that for us, the ship is the destination. It almost doesn't matter where it is sailing. Not everyone can understand that idea and no problem but for those of us who really love a particular ship (or in our case two ships - Noordam, as well), going to the ship is the primary point. IF we add to that an itinerary we actually like, all the better. :)

Sorry, but I'm not the 'group hug type'. I don't go for that whole bit. ;)

and I cringe lately at the hold hands thing during prayer. Ah. Well, I hope to meet you someday on the Maasdam when outta Boston. That's how we say it. Outta heah and all that. What fun. I am so boring on cruises though. Head in a book and all that. Fun for me though!;) Have a good night, Sail, ttyl.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Suse,[/B]

[B]Maasdam is a very favorite ship of ours. We have sailed her so much and know, like and respect so many of her crew, that for us, the ship is the destination. It almost doesn't matter where it is sailing. Not everyone can understand that idea and no problem but for those of us who really love a particular ship (or in our case two ships - Noordam, as well), going to the ship is the primary point. IF we add to that an itinerary we actually like, all the better. :)[/B]

[B]Sorry, but I'm not the 'group hug type'. I don't go for that whole bit. ;)[/B]

[/quote]

The ship is our destination, also. A ten day "cruise to nowhere" would be fine for us!

(I'm not a 'group hug type' either, but I don't mind watching one... from a respectful distance. ;) )

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I do live fairly near a port (Boston), and yet have only sailed out of there once. That was to take the 35-day Voyage of the Vikings. The two times I've taken the NE/Canada cruise it was out of NYC. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]So, no, I guess I have to say I don't chose the embarkation port as a primary consideration when booking a cruise. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Much as I hate the ordeal of flying these days, I tell myself that, since I take longer cruises, it reduces the "ordeal per cruise day" factor. :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Druke I']We used to live just across the bay from the Port of San Francisco, and loved to sail out of the City.

I do think that we were selective - but San Francisco is an unde-rutilized port for cruise ships, which did cut down our choices.[/quote]

San Francisco is our nearest port. I agree the port is under utilized, unfortuantely for many folks who like to visit the city. We have taken 1/2 dozen cruises to Mexico/Alaska round trip mostly on Princess and Celebrity. Would do more if there were more ships to choose from.

We have cruised for 30+ years. We enjoy taking a taxi to the ship after flying to Rome, London, Barcelona, Istanbul, and Athens to name a few ports. As flying gets more and more difficult and challenging, we long for more cruises from a home port. Next option will be cruising from other American ports, New York, San Diego and Ft. Lauderdale. Still means a day long travel day when going to the east coast.

[quote name='bbro']We are close (1/2 day drive) to Galveston. I've done Carnival and Princess from there, not Royal Caribbean. Galveston has older ships and they're all full of Texans (I'm one, I can say it). That being said...we've tried it and I'm not so sure we'll be doing it again. Wished we took advantage of the one year Celebrity sailed the Panama Canal, but oh well, not meant to be.[/quote]

I, too, live in Plano but won't take any cruises out of Galveston or even New Orleans. The ships and/or itineraries are not what I'm looking for in a cruise experience.

When my husband was alive it didn't matter. But now, the answer is yes.
We always flew in a day ahead which means outlay for hotel, meals and taxi to port.

As a single this is not fiscally feasible as I am already paying extra to sail alone in a cabin. THus, I took my first cruise out of home port (NYC)
on the Noordam which was so easy (train to NYC & cab to terminal).

Am seriously considering doing it again this Spring when HAL brings
the Veendam to NYC for their Bermuda sailings.

PS Hi to CTSally!

DH does not like to fly, so yes, many of our cruises are based solely on being close to a port. Luckily, we are within driving distance to several here in Florida, so our choices are not as limited as some.

DH and I live 50 miles from Jacksonville. We prefer 7+ day cruises, but it is so convenient to sail out of Jax, we did it twice last year along with longer cruises out of FLL and Tampa. Port Canaveral and Tampa are less than 3 hours away, so we do shorter cruises out of there, too -- next week in fact. The convenience of Jax is very appealing and even though it's the same ports of call for the 4 and 5 day cruises over and over, we love cruising:D I wish there would be 7 day cruises out of Jax and maybe someday there will be.

I know several people who live in the metropolitan New York area who ONLY take cruises that are round-trip from one of the NY/NJ ports. I can't say that I blame them -- other than the itineraries are really limited.

Archived