Is there a limit on how much food you order?

Peachy12

This might sound like a strange question, but i was wondering if there was a limit on how many things you can order either through room service or in the dining areas.

For example, could we order say 3 or 4 things from room service, to share between the two of us? I'm cruising with Dawn Princess, so i'm not sure if things are different on other ships.

Thanks

There is no limit on the amount of food you can order either from room service or in the MDR. I have personally seen table mates who order 3 shrimp cocktails and then 2 steaks and 2 baked potatos. You can eat yourself silly I wonder what such people do at home - must eat at "all you can eat" buffets!!!!:)

This might sound like a strange question, but i was wondering if there was a limit on how many things you can order either through room service or in the dining areas.

For example, could we order say 3 or 4 things from room service, to share between the two of us? I'm cruising with Dawn Princess, so i'm not sure if things are different on other ships.

Thanks

On our first cruise two years ago, I asked for shrimp after I ordered beef wellington. The wait staff made we feel embarassed. I noticed that the other table had shrimp at their table, I told the waiter it look delicious and asked for some. He told me he brought them some extras because he had their table the last night. And then walked away.

He must had second thoughts, for 10 minutes later he came with a small platter of shrimp.

This March is our second cruise, I'm not sure I will ask again for more than one entree. :o

Other than that the cruise was perfect!

They do not put a limit on how much you can order from either the dinning room or from room service from my experience. This is from someone who once ate 5 lobster tails at one sitting on formal night.;)

Hey.........I'm not a big girl and I sometimes eat four. Then again, I'm not eating much else except broccoli.

Thanks

No limit, enjoy!

You can order as much as you want. You could, for example, order coffee and pastries from room service, then go to the main dining room for a sit-down breakfast, and then if you're still hungry, head to the buffet and "snack" from there. Or order multiples of any of the courses off the menu. Or eat dinner, then go to the buffet and "sample" from there. Or go to one of the other venues for a late-night dessert. Or....

I only get unhappy when folks order tons of food and then discard it. If you order it -- unless it's really not to your taste, or badly prepared, or not what you thought it was -- please do eat it! :o

On our first cruise two years ago, I asked for shrimp after I ordered beef wellington. The wait staff made we feel embarassed. I noticed that the other table had shrimp at their table, I told the waiter it look delicious and asked for some. He told me he brought them some extras because he had their table the last night. And then walked away.

He must had second thoughts, for 10 minutes later he came with a small platter of shrimp.

This March is our second cruise, I'm not sure I will ask again for more than one entree. :o

It's done all the time, and as to that waiter, I would have taken his name and reported him to the head waiter and maitre'd. That is not on. The same levelof service applies to everyone equally.

Ciao for now!!!

You can order as much as you want. You could, for example, order coffee and pastries from room service, then go to the main dining room for a sit-down breakfast, and then if you're still hungry, head to the buffet and "snack" from there. Or order multiples of any of the courses off the menu. Or eat dinner, then go to the buffet and "sample" from there. Or go to one of the other venues for a late-night dessert. Or....

And after all that, for sure they'd be rolling you off the ship. :eek:

Hi Peachy - yes as mentioned above you can order what you like. We were on the Dawn in October and quite often I would order 2 "entrees" instead of a main meal - for those from the States - Australians refer to "starters" as entrees. Also others on the table would order 2 mains if they enjoyed the first. We were on an 18 night cruise and by about the 4th night our waiter automatically served some of of the gents "double helpings" of the meat for their main meals. You will not go hungry on a cruise:D

I cruised last year and about to embark in about 3 weeks, we never went to MDR, just did buffet. so how does it work,? how long is the meal?

you order starters,,then order entree then something else?? thinking about trying out MDR once on formal night...so maybe you guys can give me pointers..

Gluttony is permitted and maybe even promoted on cruises, now whether its in good taste to over indulge and not finish what you order is another matter.

I've never had any problems asking for more of anything, nor taking more from the buffet line. Sit back and if you enjoy something by all means get a second, or third or fourth helping. The only downside is not having room for something yummy later :D

I cruised last year and about to embark in about 3 weeks, we never went to MDR, just did buffet. so how does it work,? how long is the meal?

you order starters,,then order entree then something else?? thinking about trying out MDR once on formal night...so maybe you guys can give me pointers..

The menu has appetizers, soups, salads, and main courses. You can order something from however many of the above categories you wish. There will also be two pasta dishes each night: one always is the famous Fettucini Alfredo and the other is different each night -- you can order them in a smaller appetizer portion or as a main course. In addition to the changing selections each evening, there are "always available" options: shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, chicken breast, salmon, and something beef-y. Then there's a separate dessert menu (you didn't think they'd forget about dessert, did you?!) which the waiter will hand you after he clears the main course dishes. Do try the dining room at least once -- the food is good, the ambiance is relaxing yet elegant, and best of all, they bring it all to you, you don't have to get up and wander around and serve yourself!

I've occasionally tried to order 2 half portions of entrees - they just bring two whole ones and I eat what I want. I've also ordered extra sides, usually from another dish that looks interesting. Last year on a coastal, my friend and I both ordered extra peas.

On our Alaska cruise after every course every night our waiter would say "would you like another?". Nobody at our table ever said yes, until the last night, when we all did on the appetizer course.

He got the joke. Of course, he also brought the second helpings.

We once cruised with a couple who bragged about how much they ate, they never missed a meal X2 then went to the buffet and anything else that involved food. She was so heavy that she couldn't walk and he wasn't much better. I am no slim Jum but this was all I could handle.:eek:

On most ships the waiters bet in a pool every night to see which table will order the most food in one sitting.

It's fun for the waiters and makes their jobs more interesting - and profitable.

The winning table usually orders 3 or 4 main courses per person - but it can go as high as 7 or 8 main courses per person.

I was on the Golden once and ordered another lobster tail. I was told no. The waiter said they had limited lobster and there was second seating yet. I was in first seating. I didnt push the matter.

On our first cruise the Cruise Director joked that you came on the ship as a passenger and you left as cargo! Need a U-Haul to carry your tummy!

First cruise I was up early and had rolls on deck then breakfast etc all the way to midnight buffet. The only trouble is that the weight does go home with you.:eek: The new information on how long you have to work on a treadmill for each treat also is having an impact! Go ahead and enjoy (especially if you are young and skinny!) temptation is everywhere and it is really good.

Well, I've finally lost about 4 of the 6 pounds I gained on the Crown last month, even though I tried to be pretty self controlled. Not to sound offensive, but I think I've never been around a population with a higher proportion of morbidly obese folks.

Wow,, how rude,, did you tip him full amount at end of cruise... I wouldn't have. Wonder if that occured to him after he walked off on you,, it may have prompted his " second thoughts" honestly , some wait staff are dense( and yes, I HAVE waited tables!)

I was on the Golden once and ordered another lobster tail. I was told no. The waiter said they had limited lobster and there was second seating yet. I was in first seating. I didnt push the matter.

On a couple of Princess cruises I have seen my husband eat 5 or 6 lobster tails, ,, but to be fair,, they are very small.. he was offered them.. I have had two myself.

Some waiters seem to pick and choose how they treat different customers.. I think they can read people,, and I do think they sense when someone may complain,,or has high expectations.

Next time, ask again, and if told no,, mention it to head waiter,, tell them what a shame food is being rationed now.. LOL

If a waited had given this response, I definitely would have asked him (politely) to have the maitre'd to stop by my table.

Archived