(Almost) live from the Rotterdam. (really long)

diann744

A great review and hilarious read...loved it:):) My two little grandsons here in NC have a Dutch Grandfather in Amsterdam..he keeps them in good supply of "hagel" sprinkles...there are all flavors..chocolate, orange, multi colored:D

We sailed the Zuideram with the grands two year ago but don't remember seeing it..I will look for it on the Zaandam..oldest GS...John will be jealous:D

Ah yes, those delightful chocolate sprinkles. Nineteen days, several countries, good food, flowing wine… and the chocolate sprinkles remain the highlight of the trip for the twin! :)

But you can order the sprinkles here:

http://www.efooddepot.com/products/de_ruijter/4418/bittersweet_chocolate_sprinkles__hypen__7oz.html

I opened my email to see a message from HAL Customer Relations. Anticipating a response to my reports of a less-than-stallar experience on the recent Rotterdam sailing, I instead received:

Dear Diann,

On behalf of all of us at Holland America Line, I’d like to thank you for joining us and wish you a pleasant return to your life at home. It was our pleasure to serve you aboard the ms Rotterdam, and we hope you enjoyed every facet of your journey - from your first relaxing morning at sea to your final panoramic views from the promenade.

As your cruise experiences become fond memories, you may find yourself dreaming of new travel destinations. I would like to personally invite you to explore our worldwide destinations. Just let us know where you're most interested in sailing by updating your travel preferences. We'll be sure to send you relevant information on special values and exciting itineraries.

Thank you again for sailing with Holland America Line. To inquire about your next cruise or to obtain additional information, simply contact your travel professional at Travel Store Inc., or call Holland America Line at 1-877-SAIL HAL (1-877-724-5425).

We look forward to welcoming you on board as our guest again soon.

Best regards,

Stein Kruse

President & Chief Executive Officer

Really? :eek:

Hi Diann,

from the land downunder the solution is; just put another shrimp on the barbie and a glass or two of Chardonnay and she'll be right mate!!!!

You could always send him this picture !!!!!

hugs,

Cristiano

I opened my email to see a message from HAL Customer Relations. Anticipating a response to my reports of a less-than-stallar experience on the recent Rotterdam sailing, I instead received:

Really? :eek:

That's an automatic e-mail to everyone (if HAL has their addy) who completes a cruise.

The equivalent of junk mail. But considering how your cruise went, it is cause for a laugh. Or a drink.

Hi Diann,

from the land downunder the solution is; just put another shrimp on the barbie and a glass or two of Chardonnay and she'll be right mate!!!!

hugs,

Cristiano

YIKES! Is that Eurodam or Neiuw Amsterdam?

Hi Diann,

hugs,

Cristiano

Dear Christiano:

Thanks for showing us all what a really bad cruise experience looks like. Pass me both chardonnays and tell Di she can have my shrimp when she gets here.

Cheers,

The evil twin

Hello, I'm writing from Italy. Normally I cruise with Costa and am very satisfied but I wanted to experience some new itineraries.

I am booked (main deck outside cabin) on Rotterdam September 22nd 2010 on the 31 day circle tour of Hawaii, Tahiti and Marquesas.

I have read of the disastrous canal voyage, probably the drydock needed more time :).

I would like to know :

if there is a minifridge in the cabin

I have european electric equipment, is there an european socket in the cabin?

I am getting most of the excursions by myself, do non-HAL excursionists get off after HAL excursionists?

How is the steam bath?

How are the pools? (is there still the sky deck pool or have they turned it into something else, leaving only one pool (the covered one) ? )

thank you :)

Hello, I'm writing from Italy. Normally I cruise with Costa and am very satisfied but I wanted to experience some new itineraries.

I am booked (main deck outside cabin) on Rotterdam September 22nd 2010 on the 31 day circle tour of Hawaii, Tahiti and Marquesas.

I have read of the disastrous canal voyage, probably the drydock needed more time :).

I would like to know :

if there is a minifridge in the cabin Yes, in the higher cat cabins- believe Main Deck cabins get a ice bucket only

I have european electric equipment, is there an european socket in the cabin? Yes

I am getting most of the excursions by myself, do non-HAL excursionists get off after HAL excursionists? Yes (when tendering, those on Shorex get to go off first) and No (when docked, it's come as you go)

How is the steam bath? Dunno - don't use it

How are the pools? (is there still the sky deck pool or have they turned it into something else, leaving only one pool (the covered one) ? ) Rotterdam now has the infamous "Retreat (wading) Pool" on her aft deck

thank you :) YW

See above

Thank you :) : for the moment, the only shorex I'm considering to book and do by myself is a helicopter tour on Hilo's volcanos. I do not want to end up crammed in a central seat :). Since in Hilo there are no tenders, it is ok :)

Thank you :) : for the moment, the only shorex I'm considering to book and do by myself is a helicopter tour on Hilo's volcanos. I do not want to end up crammed in a central seat :). Since in Hilo there are no tenders, it is ok :)

Yeah, Hilo is a "docking" port so as soon as you hear the "The ship has been cleared by the local authorities" in the morning by the CD over the P/A system, you can go down to the gangway and do your thing (if this is a private tour). If it's a Shorex through the ship, you need to follow the instructions on your tour ticket as far as time and place to meet The helo flights on the Big Island are great! You will see a lot of active lava! Have a great time!

The helo flights on the Big Island are great! You will see a lot of active lava! Have a great time!

no, I'm booking this tour by ourselves :) : front seats and professional film taken. They will come to pick us up at the pier and then take us to the airport where there will be a briefing on security.

I've been waiting to fly around the Kilaweah since it started erupting in 1983 :)

I'll book it in advance to be sure the boat's times are ok :)

no, I'm booking this tour by ourselves :) : front seats and professional film taken. They will come to pick us up at the pier and then take us to the airport where there will be a briefing on security.

I've been waiting to fly around the Kilaweah since it started erupting in 1983 :)

I'll book it in advance to be sure the boat's times are ok :)

Good for you! Enjoy it! Arrival time in Hilo is usally around 8:30 AM and you'll be there until 5:00 PM. The clocks are set back 1 hour the morning of/night before.

800px-Rainbow_and_eruption_of_Halema%60uma%60u_vent_at_Kilauea.jpg

800px-Lava_entering_sea_-_Hawaii.png

Archived